llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Darkest Hour  (Read 10490 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« on: March 21, 2003, 10:00:01 PM »
The battlefield was full of bodies, some human and some were other kinds of creatures. Some he had seen before but some he was seeing for the first time in his life. Galrith dropped his sword and he heard the heavy thump as it crashed on the ground, he had been in wars before but this was becoming a genocide, King Ranath had decided to "cleanse" the continent by destroying all non-human creatures. Well this was the last time his best captain would fight for him, he had killed his last innocent person.
The cut from his left arm was hardly bleeding at all and the sun was rising through the east the priests were waliking through the battlefields looking for the injured officers which could still live another day if they recieved the propper attention.
He drooped to the ground and he strated to remember how it had all come to this, to this war.
There are only two unlimited things:
The universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not so sure about the universe.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 08:38:21 PM »
Jasaca watched the sun rise.  Strange to think that three years ago, she had watched another sunrise.  But of course, then the view was of the sleepy farms, not broken, bloody corpses.  So many had died for this war.  She herself had lost a dear one.  It was a peculiar, twisted train of events that had lead to this, she reflected.

The sun had not risen sufficiently high enough to warm the castle walls yet.  But Jasaca loved this time, because the peace was unbroken by the hustle and bustle of the day.  It also reminded her of her home.  'Twas perfect.
But of course it couldn't last.  A young page hurried up to her.  "Milady Jasaca?"
"Yes?"
"The king wishes to speak with you."
"This early?"  But she was already making her way back into the castle proper.  As she did, another fell into step beside her.
"'Tis much too early to be hurrying about, love."
She smiled warmly at Arimine.  "You're the one who is constantly awake to bid good morning to the sun."
"At least I won't expect you to join me after we're married."
"I most likely will anyway."
"True.  So what is the rush?"
"The king wishes to speak with me, and I would prefer to do so before Prince Ranath comes in."
"Ah.  Of course."  There was no love lost between the Crown Prince and the elven ambassador.  "I know why I don't like him, but what grievance do you have with his highness?"
"It's not something I can easily explain, Arimine.  I just know he frightens me."
"That is not something that requires explanation, love.  You'd best hurry and see what the king wants, then.  I am told that the prince is becoming an earlier riser."
Jasaca gave him a quick kiss and hurried off to see what the king wanted.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 08:22:48 PM »
The sun warmed his injuries and he could not believe he was capable of such destruction of some evil. He was only following order he knew that and he kept repeating it in his mind, but he did not have to follow them so perfectly i dont think the king would have harmed his best captain, but then again he was rather crazy this last months, after his wife dissapeared. The king first started killing all the people of the castle he thought were not loyal to him, and he ended up killing all the people inside the castle his own family included.
A priest´s head appeared in front of his face,
"Do you need medical attention??"
"My left arm is bleeding" Galrith said, and my heart is broken he thought.
The king had given him orders so grotesque that even his advisors were shocked when they heard them, to kill all non-human creatures  "and i dont mean only the ones that can fight, all creatures i dont care if they are female or children, they are all going to die". He had follow his orders to the letter but this was the last time. Never again he thought, never again.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 09:12:36 PM »
Jasaca hurried through the deserted corridors.  It would not do to keep the king waiting.
"'Tis a fine morning, is it not, Lady Scholar?"
She jumped.  She had not seen Ranath where he stood near a pillar.  "Good morning, your Highness.  What brings you to be up at this hour?"
"I've decided that I have been wasting too much of the morning, and I mean to rectify that.  Where are you off to in such a rush?"
"Your father asked to speak with me."
"About what?"
Jasaca wished that he would go away.  He was making her nervous.  "I don't know."
"Ah.  No matter.  Have you seen Ambassador Arimine?  There is a... delicate matter I wish to discuss with him."
"He was in the courtyard last I saw."  With that, she politely extricated herself and all but fled down the hall.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 03:58:12 PM »
What did we do to deserve this?

The thought kept running through Celdric's mind as he tried to creep across the battlefield. Why were the humans killing everyone? The village had been full of farmers. They were no threat to anyone and he hadn't seen any sign of discontent. And why kill all the women and children? What could THEY have done.

His nose warned him of a coming patrol. He cringed with fear. He was far too different looking to claim to be a disfigured human. He dropped to that ground, praying that they didn't notice him, that they passed by his furry black body. He didn't want to hurt anyone else today.Yet, the questions still tormented him.

"I WILL know why." he breathed.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 05:01:05 PM »
((OOC: I think I'm going to bounce back and forth between a flashback point of view and the present.  Flashbacks will be in italics.))

From her vantage point on the hill, Jasaca watched preists moving among the dead, dying, and injured.  He's gone too far, she thought.  Much too far.  She had sworn that she would make the king pay for his atrocities, and she had no intention of giving that oath up.  He'd made her life a living hell for the past year and a half.  Well, sooner or later the accounts would be tallied.
She saw wounded soldiers milling about, and she saw some others making for the woods.  Deserters, most likely.  Good riddance.  Then she saw someone else.  A black-furred creature.  That wouldn't do.  She started making her way down the hill.  She had to get him off of the battlefield before one of the soldiers discovered him.  She just hoped none of the soldiers would recognize her.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 08:29:39 PM »
From where he was he could not see much but he saw a strange shadow hurrying across the field. "How strange i know those moves, i think i know who that is," Galrith grabbed his sword from the ground and started rushing off to catch that shadow, when the priest told him to be still all he could do was to shout him back and tell him that his wound was only skin deep although he knew it wasnt so.
When he finally caught up with the shadow he grabbed it firmly by the arm,
"Jassaca?? I have finally found you, where have you been??"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 08:54:49 PM »
Jasaca froze as someone grabbed her arm.  Someone had recognized her! Notgoodnotgoodnotgoodnotgood, oh so not good.  She slowly turned around, and got a second shock.  What were the odds... "Galrith?"  It was.  Her former bodyguard.  She shook off her astonishment and regarded him warily.  Last she knew, his loyalties were with the king, and that could mean severe trouble for her.  Although... it didn't sound as if he meant her harm.
Maybe he doesn't know, she thought.  She decided she couldn't take that chance.  She wriggled out of his grip and bolted for the trees.  She might be making a mistake, but she had learned that it was better to be paranoid than dead.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 09:14:15 PM »
"No need to run!!!" Galrith keep screaming after her but his wounds were much deeper than he had admited and he had not yet fully recovered from the fight, he ran after her as much as he could but he lost her in the forest.
I wonder why she is running he thought if there is someone she knows she can trust its me, after all he had burnt this whole village looking for her. How strange.
He decided to return to the field and get his injuries treated before he went to look for her but he also decided that he would not tell anyone he had seen her, she was a smart woman she must have had a reason to run li ke she did and he respected that, he would track her alone when the night fell and he went back to the remains of his army.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 01:58:48 PM »
As he started to get up, Celdric noticed a human woman running in his direction. Great Gods! He didn't need this. He froze as he tried to decide what to do. Had she seen him? Could he afford to find out? Celdric raised his head a little higher and looked around. Seeing that no soldiers were in the immediate area, he sighed. "Why did I choose today,of all days, to take that bloody bath?" He sprung to his feet and started a mad dash for the forest.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 10:11:06 PM »
As Jasaca ran, suddenly the black creature she had seen before jumped out and also started running, heading in the same direction.  Well, at least that problem was solved.  Galrith called after her, but quickly fell behind.  In the brief glimpse she had caught, he had appeared to be wounded, so it was probably for the best.  But if that crazed fool sitting on the throne caught wind of where she was... well, it couldn't end well.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 07:41:35 PM »
"How strange, i wonder what has gotten into her, not long ago i was the one in charge of keeping her safe and no this?? I wonder what was going on through her mind. Well i will track her tonight for now ill rest till my wounds have healed".

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 12:39:46 PM »
Celdric ran full speed for the forest, paying little heed to the surrounding terrain and the dangers it presented. He dared not, least he slow down, for that would be the death of him. The moment he entered the treeline, he scrambled up into the nearest tree, slipping back down a little twice in his haste.Perching on one of the lower braches, he grinned as his chest heaved in an effort to catch his breath.

Somedays it pays to be so like a cat.

His grin vanished as he noticed that same human still running toward the forest. This one was persistant...or was she? She didn't appear to be armed, or at least not in any fashion that he could see. Why was she coming here? Wasn't she safer with that cold-blooded army? He hid himself as best he could, without leave the realitive safety of the tree, and waited to see what this strange human would do.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2003, 04:43:13 PM »
Jasaca lost sight of the black creature as soon as he entered the trees.  Good; he would probably be safe there.   As would she.  A lot of people didn't like to come into the forest.  Some thought that there was a lot of bad magic here.  While the forest was dangerous to those who were unprepared or didn't know the terrain, it wasn't an evil place.  Jasaca headed for the inner forest, paying little heed to her surroundings.  But that was okay; she knew these woods.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2003, 07:51:45 PM »
"I did see hermy king," Lorien said to king Ranath, "she did not appear to be harmed or to be held against her will. Please explain to me how did you order me to do such atrocities just to get her back."
"Asking questions is not your place," King Ranath said," your place is to follow order and dont mind about the why´s."
"But my king...."
"Enough, lets not speak of this again. Where did you see her??"
"Yes it has been enough, my king, enough of the bloodshed, enough killing, i will find her but alone i will not let this masacre repeat itself."
"Ohhh, you really think you can raise your voice to a king eh?? Well this are my torturers and when will speak when they have loosened your tongue, say two days??" King ranath looked at the masked person and looked for a reply but all he limited to do was nod his head and emit a grunt. "Guards take the prisoner to the dungenons".
"My king i have been loyal to you, what happened?? please donot do this,"

Being confined cleared Lorien´s mind he had a new purpouse now he was to escape and find out why Jassaca ran from him, why did she hide and why did he destroy an entire village of innocent people....

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2003, 09:20:20 PM »
Celdric shook his head as he watched the woman pass by his hiding place. Paranoia is bad for the nerves. Still, what did this woman want in the forest and was she with the army they'd both left behind? He had to know, both out of curiousity and a sense of professional obligation. With great care, he jump down from the tree and began to follow her discreetly.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2003, 11:39:28 PM »
Jasaca reached a tiny clearing.  There was a long-abandoned, tumble-down building there.  Well, not recently abandoned.  She had been living there for the past month and a half.  It was a good enough place, but she'd have to leave it.  Now that someone had found her, she wasn't safe there anymore.  It was time to move on.  If Galrith even mention in passing that he'd seen her, the wood would be crawling with scouts and soldiers within a fortnight.  Jasaca grabbed her few possessions and put them in a bag.  Then she sat down, taking a few final looks around and trying to decide where to go next.  She really had no opinion, as long as it was farther away from Ranath.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2003, 03:40:08 PM »
Celdric stood in the shadows of the trees as the woman sat in the clearing. Could he trust her? She didn't seem hostile. But what would she think when she saw him? How would she take seeing a black panther that walks on two feet and talks? Nevermind the fact that he was, to a human, naked. He shakes his head. This was silly. He needed to get home, and the only way to get there was to get around that army. For that, he needed help and he wasn't in any position to be picky. Still, it never hurt to be careful.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" he called out to her.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2003, 07:28:27 PM »
Someone called out.  She was on her feet in a split second, knife in hand, ready to fight or flee.  Then she realized it was the black creature from before and visibly relaxed.  He could still be dangerous, but he didn't work for the king.  She could tell now that she got a good look at him that he closely resembled a black panther.  It couldn't hurt to answer his questions.  "I'm Jasaca.  I'm here because I haven't any place else.  Although I won't be here much longer.  Who are you?" she asked curiously.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2003, 09:33:23 PM »
Galrith couldnt help to feel betrayed, he did not understand how the king could be behaving this way, after all his loyal years of service to be locked up like a common criminal.
"Im sure it is her fault, she betrayed mi king, she slipped something in his drinks to make him go insane, im sure of it, she must not live for this, she will pay, i must not remain in this cell, i must escape.... Yes escape but how?? I know when they bring the food, when they bring the food, then she will see, i will hunt her down and make her pay, yes hunt her down, yes she wil pay....·

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2003, 11:47:56 AM »
Celdric sighed with relief as he took a step into the clearing. She seemed to be fairly harmless. A bit jumpy perhaps, but innocent enough.
"My name is Celdric. I don't mean you any harm." He paused to listen to the forest for a moment, thinking he'd heard something, before shrugging it off. "I could use your help if you've the time...or the knowledge for that matter, but I am curious as to why you are in such a rush? Do you have something to fear from that army?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2003, 05:17:27 PM »
Jasaca shrugged.  "Not from the army, per se.  It's just I'm probably considered a traitor at the castle.  And even if I wasn't, I'd sooner kill myself than let someone take me back there.  Either way, it's bad news for me.  Someone recognized me earlier, and if he mentions it to King Ranath, there'll be an entire division of the army combing these woods pretty soon.  I'd be happy to help you as much as I'm able, but, as I said, I'm going to be leaving the area very soon."

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2003, 07:33:57 PM »
Although Galrith was a very strong man with high pain tolerance it didnt take him long to break. It was true what the king said about his torturers, they really were the best, but nevermind that, now he had a new reason to escape he now needed to reach Jassaca before the royal guard to kill her himself.
Escaping from jail was much easier than he thought, the man that brought him the food was an old friend which had served with him in many missions and for a small fee he was let free.
He had a short time before the guards discovered thaty he was missing so he decided to hurry and run non stop till he found the place where he had last seen Jassaca, the place to begin tracking her down. He did only one stop and it was at his house and it was to fetch the propper weapons to use against her.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2003, 04:42:11 PM »
Celdric nodded,"Ah, I see. I too intend to leave the area as quickly as possible and therein lies my problem. I have no hope of getting by that army alive without my equipment, and homeward I must go. This is area is foreign to me, and if you could direct me to a path that would take me around them, I would be most grateful." Maybe he would get home in time...

The forest was quieting down, as it always did at dusk. Celdric stood on his favorite perch, enjoying the sunset, as Warren, his student, spoke to him.
"This isn't the time to make this trip. You'll be hunted beyond these woods. Let me go instead, Celdric."
"Why should I stay behind, Warren? Why should I let the ramblings and orders of a fool keep me from doing my job? I made a promise. The matter is closed."
"But what of the meet? What if you can't return in time."
He turned from the final rays of the sunset to face his companion," I wont let that happpen. I'm going to bed. I've a long trip ahead of me."

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
The Darkest Hour
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2003, 08:10:29 PM »
When Galrith reahced the place where the battle had been fought the stench still remained, most of the bodies had been taken to be given proper burial of course, but many still remain. He then walked towards the place where he had last seen Jassaca.
"Two sets of tracks, most unusual. She is with someone, this will make the hunt even better."