llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Now Accepting Donations  (Read 2755 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Now Accepting Donations
« on: April 10, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »
Those that know me understand that accepting donations was a difficult step for me to take. I have had this site as a hobby for about 5 years now as it steadily grew from the most basic of interactive pages to something a little more useable and pretty. Until recently the cost of the site was not horribly expensive ranging from $8 to $20.00 a month. Not a whole lot really when you consider the enjoyment I get out of it and the fun we all have with it. Through time with the help of many people and their thoughts, encouragement, and talent the site slowly grew.

When V2.0 starting taking off we started running into some difficulty. A shared server is usually pretty powerful but also somewhat limiting. SQL queries started maxing out and bandwidth requirements exceeded the first two hosts. Then the intermittent downtime starting plaguing us when nobody could get to the site for chunks of time. The second move, where we currently are, was a planned stepping stone before having to get into our own server, a Virtual Private Server to be exact. In this location we have already been shutdown once for too much CPU usage and, under the right circumstances, that will soon happen again especially as we continue to grow as I know we will. So that next step is a large step in cost from $19.99/mo to 39.99/mo. There is a deal to get 2 months free if you pay a year in advance but don't want to do that till we test the server. That will save us a bit if we can do it that way. I can still handle paying it, but the burden would be greatly relieved if I was to get some help with it. So that is where we are. Probably this weekend I will make the request and we will be moved to our own virtual server. There we will have all our own resources that should be plenty to keep the site going into the future. The bonus is that I will be able to optimize the server specifically for this site's usage instead of dealing with the default setup.

I also want to keep a very open line of communication as I don't want there to be any doubts as to what the donation will be going. There will need to be some discussions on (and up to the person donating) how they want their donations to be displayed if at all, status of donation pool, status of payments, etc. Since it is your donation I want you to know exactly what is happening with it. How we handle this will be decided over the next couple weeks.

The donation button is now in the footer (bottom of the page) of the main Citadel.

Special thanks to those that wish to donate. Thanks, also, to those that don't wish to donate or can't. The site is only here because of the great people that visit and contribute to the site. So simply enjoy the site and use it as it was intended. There is no obligation whatsoever and, if nobody donates, it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit and I'd still be happy to cover the cost. Just don't want there to be any sort of sense of obligation or guilt for not donating, because there's no reason for it. Enjoy the site!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Now Accepting Donations
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »
I'm weepy. I will donate $250 tomorrow. You can do with it what you wish, you can buy some pet Emperor Scorpions for all I care. Just keep the site going loud and proud! Whos with me?!

http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/Emperor.htm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:49:41 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:26:22 AM »
I will donate for sure, but I will do it this fall. Too many expenses this spring and summer. Well, I could make donations this spring, but they would be sub 100$
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:41:44 PM »
Let me see what I can scratch up around here and shove into the modem!

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »
*puts on a mafia look and pulls out a sleek suitcase* Tell me my friend, how much do you need?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:54:15 PM by manfred »
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:20:46 PM »
And Strolen: If you want to spend the bucks on burgers, beer and strippers, you're welcome. We owe you ;) No need to explain anything.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 09:53:26 AM »
Transaction complete!!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »
wow... He actually did it. I have nagged and nagged him, and he always said no.  So there it is.  Okay, when my paycheck arrives, I will plug some cash in the hole.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
See what happens with enough nagging? It works! Not only can my wife attest to it, but now Moon can too!!

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
You must get your wife a gold plated visa with a glossy version of the Citadel header on!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 06:25:42 PM »
Ooooohhhhhh....Citadel Visa......niiiiiiiiice idea!

Level 3

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 09:33:58 PM »
You have my donation. I am inextricably tied to this site. I also am very grateful that there has never been a membership fee or anything like that. It makes me proud to reside here, and I can't imagine anything that I would rather put my money towards.

Oh yeah...and one more thing. How can I get one of those Citadel Visa's for myself? I would use it just to have an excuse to pull a castle out of my wallet.

-Nobody
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 12:33:56 PM »
A membership fee....hmmmmmmmm

I would like to thank nobody for their donation.

(Do those jokes ever get old?)

I hate membership fees and I hate donations, but it will not longer keep me from accepting them. Thanks again!

Level 3

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
Villianous Fiend bent on destroying the world                               $0

Mysterious Ally with mystical powers                                          $0

Charming Princess with interesting quirks                                     $0

Magic sword to win the day                                                      $0

The game that your players will talk about long after the dice have stopped rolling
                          Priceless

Some things money cant buy, for that, theres the Strolen* Visa Card.

*not to be confused with the stolen visa card

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 11:06:22 AM »
Imagine all the awesome hits I would get for people looking for a "Stolen Visa" :) muahahahaa

Level 3