llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2007 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Taronga

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Greetings!
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:04:01 AM »
Greetings to everyone!

Hanging on this site for about 5 days I finally decided to stay here for long. So, I guess, I should make some acquaintance, not to be rude.

I am a beginner in table RPG. For about 6 years I've been a quite successful Master (or perhaps it might be called a Mistress :D ) of outdoor games and once of a city RPG. I have several friends who are good DMs of table games (my boyfriend, too). I enjoyed playing but I've always thought it to be much more difficult then what I do. But when one of my friends got core books on AD&D 3.5 I became really interested... They are in English, so during game sessions I was the one to translate the rules in most cases. Finally I knew the books better then anyone else. So, I decided to try being a DM myself. By now I have only two sessions behind. But as everyone including me likes it, I think there will be much more.

The only thing that worries me is that now I take all the quests from the Internet. Though the world is mine (it was specially created for my book, but the book seems to reach a dead end). Making up an exciting adventure is too difficult for me. I hope one day this won't be a problem any more. What do you think? Is there a chance to learn such adventure-making? Or is it just a gift and there is no hope for me?

Thank you in advance.
Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »
Welcome Taronga!

If you are taking adventures from the site (yeah!) then you only have a surface idea and you are building up the rest of the adventure around that seed of an idea...I am assuming. It is a gift for some, for others it takes a little more work to have a good adventure, regardless, all it takes is one simple thought or idea and you build from there. Now you get that first piece of inspiration from somebody else but you still build it up to fit what you are doing. I bet you have more ideas than you give yourself credit for! Just have to take them and develop them and there you are.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:34 PM »
If you are looking for basic ideas, there is a huge array of plots available here in the Citadel. If more detail is needed, you can ask some of us any sort of question that comes to mind, either in the forum or in a private message. Icant speak for everyone, but I can say that I don't bite.

Welcome to the Citadel, and enjoy your stay.

As for the adventure making, it is an art, and art can be learned. A few people here do have a gift for it.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Welcome to the Citadel.  Let me echo Scras's statement, and say that if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.  If I don't know, I at least know who to ask.   :wink:
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
Yo.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline kalabar

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »
Welcome. ! Word of Advice!

DO NOT MAKE ANY SPELLING MISTAKES OR CAPT WILL HAVE YOUR TAIL FOR IT.... Thats all.
-If you want me to think outside the box, then can you please open the box and let me out-

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:12:24 AM »
Hi I'm Muro. I like fine dining, long walks on the beach, and Catapults
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline kalabar

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 12:17:27 AM »
(954)94848747656383735648404737 its in there can you see it !!!!
-If you want me to think outside the box, then can you please open the box and let me out-

Offline Taronga

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:00:27 AM »
Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Indeed, it is much more easier for me to develop some plot details and hooks. What always puzzles me is the main idea - who and why. That is why I love this site - there is a great deal of such answers.
I don't know who was its founder, but I would thank this person greatly. What you all do here is a great job and help for such youngsters as I am.

Hope to add something of my own making to these pages in future.

Offline kalabar

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:23:20 AM »
Thats Strolen for ya, yeah his name is Strolen, but the scary thing is... Capt has more posts so talk to him if you need any answers

Offline Taronga

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 04:19:29 AM »
I have just posted one of my ideas of a quest in the section "Advice Requested" ( http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=2515 ).
So, if anyone is interested you are greatly welcome to discuss and advise.   :D

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:20 AM »
Well, it seems you've gotten a hearty welcome in my absence...  And I'm open most of the time to help with ideas, I don't bite too hard either.
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
Taronga, threw out some dwarven mine ideas for you. Hope they help :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Taronga

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 01:14:12 AM »
Murometz , thank you. It was helpful. It somehow pushed my own imagination in the right way.
I added my new ideas to the scenario. If now the comments are approving I'll give it to my players this Saturday.

I do not yet know all the rules of this site. Could you help me? Now that I am quite satisfied with my quest I can put it to the corressponding category and wait for opinions and votes - am I right?
If yes, how is it done? By editing the page or by deleting and making a new one?

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
Don't worry about knowing all the rules just yet, you're still new. That's what makes this such a good community: we all remember when we were just a low level writer who couldn't storycraft worth anything (unless of course you're MoonHunter...). We definitely don't bite.

As for the plot, the beauty of the different types of submission (In Work, Advice Requested, etc) means that you can post up what you have, then when you're happy with it, just change the type to full submission and it's ready to go.

In other words, just edit your post and change the type of post once you're satisfied with it.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Taronga

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 12:08:38 AM »
Chaosmark, thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll do it today. I'm dying of curiosity to know if my first module is good or not. Yesterday I finished the map. The maps would be more correct. With all caverns, rooms and passages, monsters and treasures, traps and what not.
This Saturday I'm going to give it to my players. Hope, they will enjoy it.

I just can't wait!   :hyper:
Guess, you all know this feeling.  :wink: