llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Atres Manor] Everything Stays  (Read 19076 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
[Atres Manor] Everything Stays
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »
Atres Manor was a large, crumbling pile of stone, in the middle of no where.  The extensive grounds were terribly overgrown, really nothing more than a mass of twisted trees, bushes, and briars.  There had been a small artificially created lake behind the house, but it was nothing more than a fetid black swamp now.  The stables were a shattered ruin, damage from a lightning strike years ago going unrepaired.  The house itself was little more than a barely recognizable shell, with crumbling walls and holes in the roof.  The entire west wing had collapsed in on itself.  As far as anyone knew, the place had been abandoned for quite sometime.

But sometimes, the wind eerily mimicked human speech, and the vapors coming off of the black swamp shimmered faintly in unpleasant ways.  The sky over the house was always covered in dark, black clouds, even when the skies were clear not two miles away.  It was held to be a cursed place.  No one went there anymore, save the few curious, foolhardy boys who tried to see how far they could venture in before they got scared, or the thick-nerved treasure hunters, looking to loot the rumored wealth of the Atres family, or periodically the unfortunate strangers who were caught in the omni-present rain around the house.  Some came back out again, refusing to speak of what had happened.  Some raved incoherently about monsters and ghosts.  Some were not even that sane.  And some didn't come back at all.

No one went to Atres anymore.  But now, there was something... different.  Something was going to change.  Christopher lit a dusty lantern that he rarely bothered with in the main hall, and peered out into the brewing storm.  "Someone is coming."
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Kippen

Re: [Atres Manor] Everything Stays
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 01:42:32 AM »
Alexandria rubbed her eyes before putting her glasses back on, looking around.  She wasn’t entirely sure how or when she’d gotten lost in the woods or when the rain had started.  Particularly, she didn’t remember when it got dark.  However, being so disoriented and lost, she wandered towards the clearing she saw in front  of her.  Cleaning off her glasses and squinting slightly, she say a speck of color in the distance.  Carefully moving forwards through the torturous underbrush.  As she drew closer what was in front of her came into view she saw a huge mansion in front of her.  Yes, it looked worse for well, but this looked like another spring storm to her.  It would pass soon enough.

Alex hurried towards the front entrance of the door, quickly opening it when she got there and rushed into the building. The Foyer echoed with a loud, resounding boom as the door closed.  That surprised her, considering the roof was missing, and what surprised her even more was that she couldn’t anything at al.  Not even the should of the rain could be heard.  Despite the fact that she knew she would only be here until the storm passed, this was a bit unnerving to her.

“That is certainly a wonderful welcome,” She murmured to herself, the house seeming to answer her with a loud moan.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 02:10:53 AM »
Uppio was drenched in the downpour, but continued his exploration of the manor ground. "Poor little creature", he said aloud to himself as he stooped to pick up a dead bush from the bank of the fetid pond. "mmm....Huggervine, what a shame". He removed his sickle from its curved sheath and sliced off a piece of the decaying plant. He studied it for a second more and then stuffed it into one of his many pocket-sacks. He was about to continue his study of the dead and dying plantlife, when a booming clap of thunder made him jump. A split second later, a spiderweb-like lightning discharge illuminated the darkening sky. Was that someone running inside the mansion? He thought he saw a person race across the grounds and enter the foreboding house. "Hmmm...mayhaps that is the owner of this place" Uppio said to himself as he was wont to do. "I will have to offer my services as a gardener" he murmured, "The place could surely use one!". Now perturbed, he proceeded to approach the front door.

It was then another bolt of lightning allowed him to get his first real look at the house itself. An unknown, bone-chilling fear momentarily gripped Uppio, a fear he could not grasp or identify. And what was that sound? Was that the wind or a babe faintly crying.."Oh no no no. That cant be HER! SHE only comes when I sleep." Steadying himself, he swallowed and neared the entrance of the great edifice. Swallowing again, he proceeded inside.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:31:18 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
Karen rode slowly up the rutted road. Mud squelched under her horse's hooves, leaving behind swirling puddles of slime behind him. It had been a nice day up until about an hour ago when the clouds had loomed ahead and the heavens had opened up on her. The rain had plastered her red hair against her face and made it cling to the back of her neck. The rain just reminded her of how dirty she actually was. She wiped her face with the back of her sleeve, really just moving the water around rather than off completely. Her wool cloak had already soaked through, and she had sold the old legion oil cloth cloak months ago.  Ahead she could make out the hulking form of a house. It was large, but looked like it was in bad repair. She could find shelter under the roof, and if there were any vagrants or hostile locals she had her short sword to change their minds.

That and a few battered and well traveled silver pieces.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Kippen

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
After shaking out her short cut, black hair Alex continued to look around the Foyer.  The clothes she had on were soaked, as well.  Alex knelt down, ringing out the bottoms of her pants.  As she was crouched down she heard the familiar slam of the door behind her and jumped about ten feet in the air.  Panting loudly, she turned around, eyes gapping as her eyes searched to see what had made that noise She blinked, resettling her glasses on  her face, “Ah…” She realized there was a man standing over her just inside the door. She gave the other person a long, long look, eventually making it to her feet, “Um…Hello…?” She hoped this wasn’t his place and that he wasn’t going to make a fuss out of her trespassing.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Questor Golden Creator Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:49:35 AM »
The last town was most entertaining indeed. As ever, Gerwulf was amazed at human avarice and folly. Why, the jeweller was more than happy to offer him twenty silver for a ring he thought to be worth at least a hundred, just because the bard before him looked to be hunry, desperate and totally unaware of the ring's worth.

Well. He deemed Gerwulf the fool - but, in his greed the jeweller overlooked that the ring, while pretty, was fake - the stone a shard of glass, the metal but gilded lead. The fake cost Gerwulf but two silver. He patted his pouch, and produced another ring from it - this one was quite genuine, slipped from the finger of the jeweller's wife when he kissed her hand in 'gratitude' for their 'generosity'.

A flash of lighting send sparkles all over the piece of jewelry. From benneath the brim of his leather hat, he looked up at the sky - grey it was like the lead of the false ring. Then, as if a fairy had waved its magic wand, torrents of rain filled the air, fluid rops connecting the skies and the land underneath.
Gerwulf prompted Freke, his mare, to a hearty gallop. While his leather cloak was more than fit to ward him from ordinary rain, this was going to be a grandfather of storms. He should better reach some sort of shelter before a nasty cold reaches him.

Ahead, a dark structure loomed over the road and the tres around it, as if devoid of colour. Almost... suspiciously dark and mysterious and... "Just the right interesting place to stay" Gerwulf though, and pulled Freke over. The stables were in ruin, but a garden house provided sufficient shelter for his steed. He dried her fur, threw a blanket over her, and strode towards the manor. Even though hell seemed to be loose, he'd be d**ned if his song wouldn't earn him a bowl of decent broth!

As he approached the manor, footprints in the mud alerted him to the presence of other travelers. "Fine! At least it won't be a lonely eve. 'Tis no inn, but better than naught."

Then, he saw a readhead approaching through the rain.
"Ah, a pleasant place it's to be bound, when such fine ladies stroll around!"
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:04:42 PM »
"Who are you and what are you doing here?"  A tall, thin man had suddenly entered the foyer and was leaning against the wall.  He was carrying a dusty lantern, with a small candle giving off a pitiful amount of light.  His clothes were in poor repair; clearly the moths had been at them.  His hair seemed to be dark, but the light wasn't good enough to tell the exact color.  He was surprisingly young, though, in his mid thirties.  He scowled at the people standing by the door.  "I do not like company, particularly company that does not announce itself, or even wait to be let in."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:35:46 AM by Ria Hawk »

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »
Uppio was prepared for one person but not four. He looked at each of them nervously, but decided the best course of action was to address the person who just spoke. Spooky fellow, he MUST be owner, Uppio thought. This gaunt man's state of attire, reflected his negligence of the grounds outside the manor, Uppio concluded.  "Yes..em..well...my name is Up-p..Uppio Marssh good sir, but I dont know these fine folk", he gestured to the others. "I um..well, I just thought that sometime back you must have had a wonderful garden, sir, and I wished to extend my services to you, if you be needing them, to um...regrow it". Gods! that was a stupid thing to say, Uppio cursed himself. Dont fear, dont fear, his mind raced. You learned how to defend yourself if need be. They will think your weak and old.They always do. Just stand your ground and wait for an answer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:02:13 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »
The man looked at them with undisguised hostility.  "The grounds are of the type that abhor order, so your efforts would be for nothing, and I give little thought to them.  And as I have no wife nor mother to want them in their original state, I have no need nor wish for the services of a gardener."  He looked around at the various people.  "And as for the rest of you?  If you've come seeking... employment, I have little use for servants, so you might as well go back where you came from."

Kippen

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »
"Ah...er..." Alex stammered, made extremely nervous by the man's presence, "M-my name is Alex Phillips," she managed, "I got lost in the woods near by...a-and I just was seeking a bit of shealter until the storm passed.  I...I don't mean any harm or need any work."  Alexandria backed away from the two men, inwardly fearing what might happen next.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »
The man glared at her for a moment.  "I suppose I can't very well send you back out into the storm, then.  The library has a fireplace and several large chairs, so I suppose you may stay there.  The bedrooms are in very poor repair and the furniture is all in storage, so I can't offer you a bed."  He didn't sound thrilled.  "I would suggest that you go at first light."

Kippen

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:04:04 PM »
Alex stammered, "Ah...alright...Thank you!" She managed eventually, swallowing hard.  After looking around she headed in the direction of the library or at least the direction it looked like it was in.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:10:42 AM by Kippen »

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »
"Second door to the left."  The man glared at the people remaining.  "I suppose I must allow you to stay the night as well.  Tell those fools outside to come in if they must.  If there is no firewood in the library, you may break one of the wooden chairs."  He turned and started back up the hall he had come down, his left leg dragging behind him in what looked like a painful manner.  "I don't advise that you go wandering."

Kippen

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 03:22:20 AM »
"Second door to the left...."

Alexandria heard the echo of the odd, frightening man's voice inside the walls of the house.

"One..." Her heart pounded as all she heard was her foodsteps.  She could of sworn that she saw a shadow shift or a pattern on the wall dance to life as she moved.  However, between her bad eye sight and her over-active imagination, she knew that wasn't the case.

"Two!" Though it seemed to take a small eternity to reach that door, she was relieved to get there when she did.  Her hand, quivering slightly from the chill of the house and her fear of the mansion's care taker, quickly grasped the door knob and turned it, opening the door she'd been instructed to go in.  She knew she could sleep just fine in the library; she'd slept in worse places before.

Besides, breaking appart a chair was something to look forward to, right? At least that's what she thought to herself to occupy her mind.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:38:54 AM by Ria Hawk »

Offline adakie

• Apprentice
  • shadow of the light
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 03:31:15 AM »
Kei was sitting in the library.  He sat in this place every day, close to a window so that he could get light enough to read and about half way away from the door.  He never used a chair simply because he preferred the floor.  He was about half way through the book he'd been reading for the last few days, a thick volume on the history of the surrounding country. 

The door opened with an ominous creaking sound and the teen jumped.  He looked up, caught sight of a figure standing in the doorway, and screamed.

Kippen

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 03:39:15 AM »
First, a scary man in old, ratty clothes and now rooms screaming as one entered them?! This, without a doubt, was a bit too much for Alex as she entered the library on top of the all the general nervousness and terror she had about everything else that had happened to her.

Before she'd completely realized she was doing it, she squealed.

The room grew black.  Alex's vision began to fade.  Her head ached like nothing she'd ever experienced.  The colors her eyes had picked up around the room began to shift to black outlined in red before all the color disappeared.

Her body hit the ground with a resounding thud, and the young woman was unconscious in the middle of the door way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:48:50 AM by Ria Hawk »

Offline adakie

• Apprentice
  • shadow of the light
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 03:56:08 AM »
The words 'oh s**t' seemed to be on repeat in Kei's mind.  He ran over and knelt beside the strange person.  'Oh Lord,' he thought, 'what if I've killed them?'  He reached out hesitantly to check the person's pulse.  They were alive.  He pulled back quickly and scooted a few steps away, breathing a sigh of relief.  He looked at the person again and visibly started.  A woman.  He cursed his bad luck.

Deciding to at least do something to help, Kei grabbed his book and fanned the fallen woman with it.  'Why,' he thought, 'why is someone here?'

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Questor Golden Creator Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 04:09:32 AM »
"Ah, thanks, good sir, for your kindness. May the gods repay ye" I jovially called, and cleaned my boots of most of the mud before stepping in.
"The library, you say? You must be a learned man, then, a rare kind today."

I left my coat to dry, the bright colours of my shirt coming to the fore, the jingle bells tinkling lightly, and the spangles sparkled in the dim light. "Gerwulf Valthir at your service, keeper of tale and song, and lover of these gentle chords here" I introduced myself, patting my lute packed in oilcloth.

"As who the rest of the merry fellows are, I know not, but I'm sure we'll get acquaintaned soon."

The place was in worse disrepair than I thought, but... the shady, haunted atmosphere was just perfect for some of the more sinister fae to lurk about. I should place some of my fairy traps before going to sleep.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »
Karen eyed the tattered man as she shucked her sodden cloak. Having done her share of scrubbing barracks floors, she scraped the muck from her boots before she entered, though the thought of leaving them by the door didnt seem like a good idea. As the others dispersed to where-ever the man had sent them she approached him.

She extended two silver pieces, "For lodging for the evening, and I'll pay another silver piece if you have fodder for my horse. The road has been rather long and the weather unforgiving here." she paused, remembering her manners. "My name is Preceps Karen Kolibri."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
The man turned around to look at the coins in Karen's outstretched hand.  "I do not accept payment for allowing travellers to seek shelter from the rain in my library.  As for the horse, there are no animals kept on the estate, and so no fodder beyond what can be foraged.  I suppose there might be an old feedbag or some such in what's left of the stable, but I shouldn't recommend looking."  He continued back along the hall.  "And I couldn't care less what your name is."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 06:28:32 PM »
Uppio had followed a few of the others into the library. Sitting next to the window, he kept trying to assess the situation he had now found himself in. All these people made him nervous, but ANYTHING would be better than going to sleep tonight. SHE would come tonight, he knew. Hmmm, maybe there were some books on botany, he thought and rose swiftly to peruse the bookshelves. As he rose he cleared his dry throat *might as well get this over with* "Hel-lo everyone. What a night eh?...I am Uppio Marssh, I was just admiring the neglected garden outside when I saw someone enter this house, so I walked in to um..say hello, and well heh heh..here we all are. Does anyone know anything about the place? I was just curious. Our host seems a bit..em...stern." *d**n it! Nothing I say ever comes out right! Just shut up Uppio and go look at the books! No one cares who in the Eight Hells you are!*
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 11:27:05 PM »
Aher's dark mood had not been improved by the journey through the grey and twilit lands about the ancient manor, nor the tangled skull-wood that surrounded it, or least of all by the lashing rain, which slicked his thin, downy silver hair against his skull with ferocious slaps. Faerie-fire lightning swam through the ceiling of the clouds, followed soon by a leviathan rumble.

Since the rain started, he had been loath to ride his old nag-mule. It was a wily and ornery animal, with a dark temper to match it's owner's dark moods, and it hated to be ridden in mud. Leading her by the reigns, Aher had tramped sandal-shod feet through two or three miles of mud, until he reached the inner wall of the manor grounds.

He paused in the arch of the wall, where on either side, sheets of water splashed a muddy trough in the ground. He opened his saddle-pack, and reached in a hand to feel, and sighed with relief. The vellum was dry, unharmed. To sacrafice The Great Folly to this tawdry rainstorm would have been a disaster.

Passing onward, Aher looked up towards the manse, a heavy, gothic-seeming building, of an old style so far gone that the historian believed it a remnant of antiquity. The front steps were sunken, as if the dirt and masonry beneath the stone had shifted downward. He left the mule standing in a somewhat dry area in the eave of a crazily-leaning portion of the wall, and, taking the saddle-pack on his shoulder, walked slowly toward the huge, blackened doors.

He reached for the door-ring, and as he did, he was seized, as if by a hand; he was filled with a sudden, hideous horror, a deep existential fear that filled him with a feeling of void-like cold. He gasped, recoiled from the door, and clutched the leather case of his manuscript to his chest. His sodden wool robe squelched.
Regathering himself, Aher shook his head. It was only like a worthless old man such as himself, the historian thought, to be fearful. What a pathetic worm you are.

Then, taking the ring in his chilled hand, he rapped twice on the ancient wood. The noise, so usually filled with cheer, was cold, dead, and distant in his ears.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 12:53:18 AM »
((OOC: Door's open, no one will answer the knock, and there are people standing in the foyer.  Also, did every one just miss the freaked out kid and the woman passed out on the floor in the doorway?  Not to mention the kid screaming when he saw her the first time?))

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
"The name is Gerwulf, miss" I stretchd out a hand towards the woman who had introduced herself as Karen. "And I'd wonder if we fail to turn this dreary evening into something nice, given the gents and ladies assembled here! Barring, of course, the unlikely case that the heavens come falling down on our drenched heads!"

Something had to break that iron veil of ignorance from the redhead's side!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »
Karen pressed the coins into the man's hands, the look on her face warned him that if he tried to refuse again he would get something less pleasant than money for his troubles. "Gerwulf, is it," She said, the name was not unfamiliar, many of the mercenaries she had previously worked with had come from the northlands and she had heard it before. She refused the bumpkin question of asking if he had ever served under Antillius One-Arm.

"You talk quite fancy for a man with a northerner's name." She said with a bit of a smile. Then she heard the scream from the direction of the library, followed by a heavy thud. She shook her head, all to often she had heard that sort of manless scream, one evinced by a youth who puffed up his chest and preened to be a rooster when he was still just a chick out of the shell. "Well, Gerwolf, minstrel?" She asked. "Might need some song to cover up the picadillos of our fellow ladies and gents." She said with false humor. She nodded her head for him to follow her.