llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Slow Going...  (Read 1293 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Slow Going...
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
For those that didn't know, I am currently in the process of moving.  I have enjoyed the Tuscany region in beatiful Italy for over 3.5 years and it is time to go. Currently moved out and in a hotel for our last couple days before making the trip back to the states, New Jersey to be exact. Muro, here I come!

Because of this, I have been somewhat absent lately and that will probably continue through September. We hope to purchase a house and get moved in as quick as possible but, until then, it will be hard to spend a lot of time online.

At least I can finally read the entire Wheel of Time series. I have yet to finish the last book. Started the series again right before visiting Ancient Gamer (which was a trip of a lifetime!!) and started book 12 today. Can't wait to complete that after 20 years of reading and rereading that d**n series!!

Even though I am not on as much as usual, rest assured that there is a bunch of planning going on for the next version. Notes, notes and more notes.

So feel free to add ideas to appropriate forums. As mentioned, I am rewriting every character of the site from scratch. WITH COMMENTS! :)  It is going to be a blast and better than ever.

Have patience, "I'll be back."

:)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Slow Going...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
This is all very mysterious and exciting!! (Well, except the New Jersey part. That's mundane :P)

Soon, I will visit you!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
Trading Tuscany for New Jersey... 

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Still in moving mode unfortunately.

Still in a hotel.

Finished the Wheel of Time series a bit ago. Started it when I went to Norway so devoured it. Ending was worth the wait. Definitely my favorite series ever, if only because of time invested and amount of times I read the first 5 books.

Pretty solid on using a laravel backend with angular as the frontend. If I am going to rewrite it then I am going all the way. AG mentioned ngix instead of apache for the server. Sounds like fun to me as well. :)

Yeah moving sucks. On top of that, my car that was shipped is one of the thousands missing or delayed: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/08/watchdog-hundreds-of-u-s-military-families-missing-vehicles-after-returning-from-overseas-106034.html

So hotel living sucks. Not having our car sucks (they are paying for a rental so I do have a car, but once I get mine...who knows what kind of damage it is going to have.)

BUT, we finally close on the house on Tuesday. Move in, taking a week off to paint and do a bunch of other work to include getting some new floors put in before we get our furniture. So the end is nigh!! Will be another month before I am settled enough to get back into any type of schedule, but soooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Then I will be ready for houseguests....or visiting Manhattan. ;)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
ngnix is pretty interesting. It's less resource-hungry compared to Apache, so that's a plus. Not sure how well it integrates with PHP though, and I know the .htaccess magic will have to get replaced with other handwaving, so that'll be a fun experience I'm sure.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:26 AM »
The beauty of nginx is the efficiency and simplicity of it all.

Only thing that can get a tiny bit hairy is running the proxy_pass function to map to other ports and sites, but other than that it is a walk in the park.

Other than that... Will we see some Manhattan + New Jersey synergies as a result of your recent move, Strolen?
Rumor has it that some of our most skilled GMs live in your area ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!