llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 12034 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: This Day in History
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »
13 July. In 1984, a street in Fort Worth, Texas, developed a 20ft long, two-foot-wide bulge. It moved from side to side like a giant worm before disappearing after about an hour. 'It seemed almost alive,' said a fireman. 'What spooked me was that there wasn't even a crack in the road.' Street crews used jackhammers to break through two inches of asphalt and four inches of concrete, but found no evidence of a gas build-up that might have caused the bulge. Six months later the story emerged in an American tabloid under the headline: 20 Foot Earthworm Terrorizes City ... Swallows Dogs.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2006, 12:08:07 AM »
14 July. In 1990 the small uninhabited island of Eynhallow off Rousay in the Orkneys played host to 88 tourists. According to the ferry crew, only 86 returned. A thorough search by police, coastguards and helicopter failed to find the missing people. The island was long regarded as a spooky 'vanishing isle', a sort of marine Brigadoon. Alternatively, superstitious locals speculated the couple were actually mermen or mermaids, returning to their ancestral home; it was easy to mistake the Fin Folk for ordinary humans. Or maybe humans had been kidnapped by Fin Folk.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »
17 July. A classic case of synchronicity (or something) took place on this day in 1975 in Hamilton, Bermuda. Erskine Lawrence Ebbin was knocked off his moped and killed by a taxi. It was the same taxi with the same driver, carrying the same passenger, that killed Erskine's brother Neville in July the previous year. Both brothers were 17 when they died, and had been riding the same moped in the same street. But history never quite repeat itself: the time of the two accidents differed by 40 minutes.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2006, 08:49:15 AM »
27 July. The Feast of the Seven Sleepers, who refused to worship a pagan statue and fled to a cave in Ephesus. They fell asleep for 250 years, and their awakening was greeted as a miracle. In the Koran, the seven young men are accompanied by a dog which gained such wisdom in its sleep that it sits beside Mohammed in heaven. The Bank of England was incorporated in 1694. The financial genius behind the project was a Scottish pirate called William Patterson.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »
2 August. Feast Day of St Basil the Blessed, a shoe-maker's apprentice who went about Moscow naked, taking goods from the shops to give to the destitute. It was said he rebuked the Czar, Ivan the Terrible. He died in Moscow in 1552. In 1908 a phantom city of assorted houses in different architectural styles was seen for three hours in Ballyconnelly on the west coast of Ireland. Similar apparitions had been seen in that region in 1796, 1797 and 1801.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2006, 01:36:55 PM »
18 August. In 1987 an 11-year-old girl from the Sabirabad region of the Caspian Sea Republic of Azerbaijan, identified by her first name as Matanet, fell asleep in a field after picking tomatoes in the sun and woke up choking. She was rushed to a children's clinic in Baku and made to drink 3.5 pints of salt solution. She vomited up a semi-poisonous 25.6in Caucasian rat-snake. An hour later, she left the clinic with her parents and went home feeling fine, according to several sources; one said, however, that she was being treated for a swelling in her stomach caused by the snake's bite.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »
1 September. St Fiacres' Day. Can be looked forward to by all those suffering from haemmorrhoids, for which he intercedes. His emblem is a spade, not a cure for piles but a symbol of his other job, being patron saint of gardeners. It is also the Feast Day of St Giles, the apocryphal patron saint of cripples. His story - he was wounded and lamed by an arrow whilst protecting his pet deer - bears a strong resemblance to that of Oisin, a druidic deity, and various Dianic cults - all the priests of the goddess Diana were lame.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Online Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2006, 09:15:17 PM »
18 September - First Aviation Fatality.  On this day in 1908 U.S. newspapers carried stories about the first person to die in an airplane crash the day before. The occasion was a demonstration of a Wright brothers aircraft at Fort Myer in Virginia. With Orville Wright at the controls, Army Lieutenant Thomas Selfridge went up as a passenger, to test the possible military use of the airplane. Four minutes into the flight the plane crashed, killing Selfridge and seriously injuring Orville Wright.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2006, 06:26:28 AM »
7 November. In 1990 it was reported that Trappist monks had fought off armed raiders in a nocturnal gun battle after thieves broke into their abbey in the Ardeche mountains. The 30 monks were woken by the alarm in the shop which sold their wine. The abbey had been robbed twice in the previous two months, and the monks were in defiant mood. Three with hunting rifles used a car to block the robbers' escape, and fired in the air. The robbers opened fire with sawn off shotguns and got away. The main problem for the monks was breaking their vows of silence to talk to the police.

(morale of the story? DONT mess with monks!)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:40:26 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2006, 09:34:06 PM »
24 December. Sebi Breci was a disc jockey on the Armed Forces Radio Service in Fairbanks, Alaska. On Christmas Eve 1951, he was phoned in the studio by a woman who said that her car had stalled 30 miles from Fairbanks and she couldn't get it started. She had two children with her and pleaded for a tow truck before they froze to death. She hung up before he could ask her why she hadn't called a garage direct. Breci arranged the rescue and later the garage man called up: he had reached the car just in time. There was no phone for miles. Breci was still puzzled when he told the story 27 years later.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2007, 10:31:40 PM »
7 February. The birthday of Roy Cleveland Sullivan in 1912. He became a ranger in Shenandoah National Park in the USA, and was struck by lightning seven times: in 1942 he lost a big toenail to lightning; in 1969 his eyebrows were blown off; his shoulder was seared in 1970; his hair set on fire in 1972; the 1973 bolt hit him on the head through his hat, set fire to his hair again, knocked him ten feet out of his car, went through both legs and knocked his left shoe off; there were two further strikes in 1977 and 1978. He committed suicide in 1983.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
Yeah, its back. :)

I like these little factoids.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.