llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 12045 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: This Day in History
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
June 3. In 1926, the Cornish Echo reported that two young boys had been attacked by a very large and aggressive 'feathered thing' between Mount Hawke and Porthtowan in Cornwall. Hunted and killed, it defied identification. On 17 April 1976, June Melling, 12, saw a menacing 'owl man' near Mawnan church in Cornwall. The following 3 July, Sally Chapman and Barbara Perry, both 14, saw it near the church where they were camping. It was man-sized, with glowing red eyes, grey feathers and large wings, and rose straight up, disappearing into the trees.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »
June 4. On this day in 1974, Mrs Candelaria Villanueva, 52, had been in the sea with a lifejacket for more than 12 hours after the ship she was on, the Aloha, caught fire and sank 600 miles south of Manila, Philippines. A giant sea turtle appeared beneath her and supported her until her rescue by the navy vessel Kalantia. A smaller turtle climber on her back and bit her every time she felt drowsy and was in danger of submerging her head in the water. After the rescue, the bigger turtle circled the area twice before taking off
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2006, 10:32:57 PM »
June 5. In 1998 school bus driver Lillie Balltrip, driving to a ceremony in Houston to pick up a safe driving award, turned a corner too sharply and overturned the bus carrying 29 other school bus drivers. The driver and passengers went to hospital, but no one was seriously injured, said Larry Yawn, spokesman for the Houston independent School District. Similar cosmic black humour was shown the previous September when a flag was hoisted at Marnham power station on the River Trent to mark the 100th accident-free day. The pulley wheel fell 20ft and hit the flag-hoister on the head.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
On June 5, 1968, Sen. Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles' Ambassador Hotel after claiming victory in California's Democratic presidential primary. Gunman Sirhan Bishara Sirhan was immediately arrested.

On this date:

In 1884, Civil War hero Gen. William T. Sherman refused the Republican presidential nomination, saying, "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."

In 1917, about 10 million American men began registering for the draft in World War I.

In 1933, the United States went off the gold standard.

In 1940, the Battle of France began during World War II.

In 1947, Secretary of State George C. Marshall gave a speech at Harvard University in which he outlined an aid program for Europe that came to be known as "The Marshall Plan."

In 1967, war erupted in the Mideast as     Israel raided Egyptian military targets.     Syria, Jordan and     Iraq entered the conflict.

In 1976, 11 people were killed when the Teton Dam in Idaho burst.

In 1981, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported that five homosexuals in Los Angeles had come down with a rare kind of pneumonia; they were the first recognized cases of what later became known as     AIDS.

In 1986, a federal jury in Baltimore convicted Ronald W. Pelton of selling secrets to the Soviet Union. (Pelton was sentenced to three life prison terms plus 10 years.)

In 2004, Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president of the United States, died in Los Angeles at age 93 after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease.

Ten years ago: Joseph Waldholtz, the ex-husband of U.S. Rep. Enid Greene, R-Utah, pleaded guilty to providing his wife false information for her taxes and to falsifying spending reports from her congressional campaign.

Five years ago: Senate Republicans spent their last full day in power before turning control over to Democrats, a change that came about because of a decision by Vermont Sen. James Jeffords to leave the GOP and become an independent.

One year ago: "Monty Python's Spamalot" won three Tony Awards, including best musical; the musical play "The Light in the Piazza" won six prizes, while "Doubt" was named best drama. Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal beat unseeded Mariano Puerta of Argentina 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-1, 7-5 to win the     French Open men's singles title.

Today's Birthdays: Broadcast journalist Bill Moyers is 72. Rhythm-and-blues singer Floyd Butler (Friends of Distinction) is 65. Country singer Don Reid (The Statler Brothers) is 61. Rock musician Fred Stone (Sly and the Family Stone) is 60. Rock singer Laurie Anderson is 59. Country singer Gail Davies is 58. Author Ken Follett is 57. Rock musician Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden) is 54. Jazz musician Kenny G is 50. Rock singer Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs) is 50. Actor Jeff Garlin is 44. Actress Karen Sillas is 41. Actor Ron Livingston is 39. Singer Brian McKnight is 37. Rock musician Claus Norreen (Aqua) is 36. Actor Mark Wahlberg is 35. Actor Chad Allen is 32. Rock musician P-nut (311) is 32. Actress Liza Weil is 29. Rock musician Seb Lefebvre (Simple Plan) is 25.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2006, 08:21:27 PM »
June 6. Edwin Robinson gradually lost his sight and hearing after a severe head injury in a road accident. Nine years later, on 6 June 1980, he was out looking for his pet chicken near his house in Falmouth, Maine, during a thunderstorm, when he was struck by lightning and knocked out for 20 minutes. (He survived as he was wearing rubber soles.) The next morning he found he could see and hear again and by the end of August he had a full head of hair.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
June 7. The streamline train City of Denver arrived at Chicago in 1937, with a dead trout inside its shattered headlight. It was suggested that the 80mph train had struck an eagle flying across the track with a trout in its beak; but there was no mention of feathers, or blood, or any other vestiges of a bird. This was reported in the Fortean Society Magazine No 2 in October 1937. Awake! (8 Oct 1987) tells of a Boeing 737 out of Alaska's Juneau airport which hit a salmon in mid-air. Again, an eagle was introduced to explain the bizarre collision.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2006, 09:17:02 AM »
June 9. William Lilly, the English astrologer, was born in 1603. In his autobiography, he tells a strange anecdote of teleportation about fellow astrologer John Evans, a Welshman residing near Aldgate in London. In 1630 or 1631, Evans was asked by Lord Bothwell and Sir Kenelm Digby 'to shew them a Spirit... upon a sudden, after some time of Invocation, Evans was taken from out of the Room, and carried [five miles] into the Field near Battersea Causeway...' The next morning, a labourer found him asleep there.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2006, 06:09:37 PM »
June 11. In 1988 a 'tall, slim, swarthy man in white robes and a turban' appeared in a crowd who had gathered in the Kawangware slums of Nairobi to hear faith healer Mary Ataska. As a bright star had been observed three times in the light of day, the people recognised the man as Jesus Christ. He blessed them in Swahili before uttering a Hebrew curse and departing in a car driven by Mr Gurnam Singh. They drove to the bus terminal, where the son of God asked Mr Singh to stop the car so He could get out and 'head for heaven'. A photo of the man appeared the next day in Kenya Times.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »
June 12. In 1987 it was reported that a strange cult had been uncovered in Acilia near Rome. Carpenter Nello Maggi, 61, had died in February from a wasting disease for which he refused to seek help. Neighbours called the police, who took in his sister Lola for questioning. They broke into the bedroom, finding the dead man in bed with the mummified body of his wife Assunta, who had died 10 years earlier. The family were devotees of a holy man called Basilio Roncacci, who had died 40 years earlier and preached that the dead should go unburied and illness untreated.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2006, 09:39:35 PM »
June 14. In 1988 Mike Birch, taking part in the Carlsberg Single-Handed Transatlantic Race, hit two whales in his trimaran. Five days later, competitor David Sellings found his 25ft sloop Hiccup surrounded by whales, squeaking and snorting. The next day there were 50 or 60 of them. They closed in and smashed the rudder. As he put out a Mayday call and gathered his possessions, the biggest whale smashed the yacht and sank it. Sellings got his dinghy inflated just in time and was later picked up from the air. As soon as the yacht was sunk, all the whales disappeared.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2006, 06:46:26 PM »
June 15. St Vitus' Day. His bones were supposed to be able to cure St Vitus' Dance, a sort of violent chorea. His nurse Crescentia, who supposedly converted him to Christianity, seems to be an emblem of the Moon goddess, the crescent moon, and his name ('life' in Latin) indicates that he too is a spurious saint. He was especially venerated in Westphalia, where bones said to be his had rested since the ninth century AD, though his legend assigned him to the time of Diocletian, 600 years earlier.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2006, 02:21:32 AM »
June 16. Bloom's Day - the entire action of James Joyce's Ulysses took place on 16 June 1904. Also... The foreman of the Novelty Iron Works at Dubuque, Iowa, observed two hailstones from a storm in 1882, which melted to reveal 'small living frogs'. On this day two years later, stones fell around George and Albert Sanford as they hoed a field near Trenton, New Jersey. When stones fell again the next day, the men fetched over 40 people from Trenton who saw more falling from a point overhead.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »
June 17. In 1981 Rev James Gaxele, 43, a Baptist minister, was about to baptise four new members of the church in the Silver Park River, Transvaal. He stepped into the water praying, and as he uttered the words 'Holy Spirit' he sank into the mud and drowned. In March the previous year, baptism also proved fatal in Stockholm. A 62-year-old Pentacostal preacher was about to baptise a boy in front of a congregation of 200. Pentacostal baptism is by total immersion and Swedish fonts are electrically heated. The preacher, standing in the water up to his waist, was handed a microphone and electrocuted.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »
On this date:

In 1778, American forces entered Philadelphia as the British withdrew during the Revolutionary War.

In 1812, the United States declared war against Britain.

In 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte met his Waterloo as British and Prussian troops defeated the French in Belgium.

In 1928, aviator Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean as she completed a flight from Newfoundland to Wales in about 21 hours.

In 1940, during World War II, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill urged his countrymen to conduct themselves in a manner that would prompt future generations to say, "This was their finest hour.''

In 1948, the United Nations Commission on Human Rights adopted its International Declaration of Human Rights.

In 1979, President Carter and Soviet President Leonid I. Brezhnev signed the SALT II strategic arms limitation treaty in Vienna.

In 1981, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart announced his retirement; his departure paved the way for Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female associate justice.

In 1983, astronaut Sally K. Ride became America's first woman in space as she and four colleagues blasted off aboard the space shuttle Challenger.

In 1986, 25 people were killed when a twin-engine plane and helicopter carrying sightseers collided over the Grand Canyon.

Ten years ago: Federal prosecutors in California charged Theodore Kaczynski in four of the Unabomber attacks. Richard Allen Davis was convicted in San Jose, Calif., of the 1993 kidnap-murder of 12-year-old Polly Klaas of Petaluma. Two Army transport helicopters collided and crashed during training exercises near Fort Campbell, Ky., killing six and injuring 33.

Five years ago: A judge in Golden, Colo., sentenced two therapists to 16 years in prison each in the death of a 10-year-old girl who had suffocated while wrapped in blankets during a "rebirthing'' session. (Connell Watkins and Julie Ponder were convicted of reckless child abuse in the death of Candace Newmaker.) Retief Goosen won the U.S. Open in an 18-hole playoff with Mark Brooks.

One year ago: U.S. Marines and Iraqi forces battled insurgents in a restive western Iraqi province, killing about 50 militants in the military's latest campaign to stop foreign fighters infiltrating from neighboring Syria. In his Saturday radio address, President Bush said pulling out of Iraq immediately was not an option. Former Texas Congressman J.J. "Jake'' Pickle died in Austin at age 91.

Today's Birthdays: Actor Ian Carmichael is 86. Columnist Tom Wicker is 80. Movie critic Roger Ebert is 64. Actress Constance McCashin is 59. Actress Linda Thorson is 59. Actress Isabella Rossellini is 54. Actress Carol Kane is 54. Rock singer Alison Moyet is 45. Country singer-musician Tim Hunt is 39. Rock singer-musician Sice (The Boo Radleys) is 37. Rhythm-and-blues singer Nathan Morris (Boyz II Men) is 35. Actress Mara Hobel is 35. Rapper Silkk the Shocker is 31. Country singer Blake Shelton is 30. Actress Renee Olstead ("Still Standing'') is 17.

Thought for Today: "The way of a superior man is threefold; virtuous, he is free from anxieties; wise, he is free from perplexities; bold, he is free from fear.'' )
—Confucius, Chinese philosopher (551-479 B.C.).

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »
June 20. In the 'Great Blow' of 1913, over 250 sailors perished and many washed up on the shores of Lake Huron. One was identified as marine fireman John Thompson by his father, mother and sisters. The dead man bore the tattooed initials 'JT' on the forearm, while scars on the nose and leg, deformed toes and dental peculiarities matched those of the fireman. One sister was convinced - she knew her brother's 'JT' tattoo was topped by an anchor, which was missing on the corpse - but the family overruled her. John Thompson in Toronto read of his own death and returned home to Hamilton.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »
June 23. In 1626 Mr Mead of Christ's College, Cambridge, passing through the city's market, noticed a battered book which had just been found by a fishwife inside the belly of a plump codfish from King's Lynn. Mr Mead bought the book, a religious tome written by John Firth, who had spent some time imprisoned inside a fish-cellar in Oxford for his religious beliefs! The book was reprinted by the Cambridge Authorities under the title 'Vox piscis' and illustrated with a woodcut showing the book, the fish stall and the knife which had cut open the fish.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
June 24. On the sunny afternoon of this day in 1947, airman Kenneth Arnold was flying over Mount Rainier, Washington state, in search of a crashed plane. He saw a strange flash and then a formation of nine silvery discs coming from Mount Baker, flying 'like speedboats on rough water'. Later, he told newsmen that 'they flew like a saucer would if you skipped it across the water'. The term 'flying saucers' was born, the public was ready to interpret the phenomenon as extraterrestrial craft, and the rest is history.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »
June 28. Henry VIII, the king who destroyed the fabric of monastic England and most of its sacred shrines, was born today in 1491. It used to be thought that he died of syphilis, but it was malnutrition that did him in, according to historian Susan Maclean Kybett; specifically, he didn't eat his greens. It seemed that scurvy, caused by vitamin C deficiency, is the only disease that fits his symptoms - ulcerated legs, bad breath, collapsed nose etc. There was a prejudice at the time that only lower orders ate vegetables; the rich could afford more exiting things like venison.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2006, 07:07:03 PM »
June 29. St Peter the Apostle's Day. The rock on which the church was founded had roots in the pagan Roman myths of the city God Petra, the Mithraic father of fathers. Petra's symbol, a phallic stone like the Siva lingam of the Hindus, was planted in the middle of the Vatican right up to the late Middle Ages. In 1456, Pope Calixtus III issued a papal bull against Halley's Comet, then visible. He instructed Christendom to pray that this portent of disaster be diverted against the Turks.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »
June 30. Something fell and exploded in the valley of the Tungska river, Siberia, on 30 June 1908, with a force more violent than the Hiroshima bomb of 1945. The blast was felt 50 miles away, trees were scorched and flattened over an enormous area, radioactivity levels soared, reindeer were incinerated and the skins of many animals broke out in scabs. Microbarograph records showed that the atmospheric shock wave from the blast had circled the Earth twice. Scientists continue to argue whether it was a comet, an itinerant black hole, an extraterrestrial craft or something else.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2006, 12:51:53 PM »
3 July. In 1839 the Academy of Sciences met in Paris to examine a Sicilian peasant boy, aged about 11, called Vito Mangiamele, who astonished them by working out the cube root of 3,796,416 in 10 seconds. Another calculating prodigy, the 18th century Jedediah Buxton, went to see the great actor Garrick in Richard III, but instead of watching the play he counted the number of words uttered by each performer. He knew how many pints of beer he had drunk at all the taverns he had visited over 50 years. Not an ideal dinner guest.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2006, 09:53:10 PM »
8 July. Peter the Hermit, instigator of the First Crusade, died in 1115. He was prone to hearing voices, one of which told him to go to Jerusalem, where he was moved to indignation by the manner in which the Christians were treated by the infidel. He convinced pope Urban II to mount a crusade, and eventually in 1096 a chaotic 'army' of 300,000 set off with Peter at their head, mounted on his mule. They plundered, murdered and burnt their way through Hungary and Bulgaria, and thousands were killed in revenge. The remaining rabble was massacred by the Turks at the battle of Nicaea.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2006, 09:47:38 PM »
10 July. The wife of Phelan, a British sailor, had her head blown off by a cannon-ball while she was comforting her dying husband on the deck of the frigate Swallow during a battle against the French off Majorca in 1812, leaving their three-week-old child orphaned. There were no other women on aboard, but there was a female Maltese goat, which became a substitute mother and suckled the boy, named Tommy by the crew, for the remainder of the journey. There are many tales of children being raised by animals: most commonly wolves, as in the legend of Rome's founding twins, Romulus and Remus.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2006, 08:19:05 AM »
11 July. In 1881 George, Prince of Wales (later King George V), as a 16-year-old naval cadet on HMS Inconstant off the Australian coast, wrote in his log book: 'At 4am the 'Flying Dutchman' crossed our bows. A strange red light as a of a phantom ship aglow... Thirteen persons altogether saw her, but whether it was van Deimen of the 'Flying Dutchman' or what else must remain unknown. The Tourmaline and Cleopatra... flashed to ask whether we had seen the strange red light.' At 10:45am, the seaman who first sighted the spectral ship fell to his death.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2006, 04:40:48 PM »
12 July. In 1738 a strange creature was fished from the water round Exeter. It resembled a man about four foot tall, 'with a Genital Member of considerable Size - with Fins at his thighs, and larger ones like Wings - at his shoulders - and two spout holes behind his eyes.' In 1978 a garage in Galax, Virginia, was bombarded by nails of various sizes for the third day running. Many were observed flying from the front and back doors, sometimes from both at once. Mechanics collected almost 400. The police were completely baffled.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin