llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Half Pixie/Half Dragon??  (Read 7383 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • http://shadowdragons69.proboards2.com/index.cgi
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« on: March 20, 2003, 02:24:32 AM »
I hope I put this idea in the right forum, but here goes: In fantasy role playing, there are all sorts of creatures running about, some coming about through unusual matings.

I've been debating this issue  on another forum, so wanted to get everyone's opinion here.  Could a half pixie/half dragon character be feasible?  

They're magical creatures, so could make themselves change to mateable size and/or form.  The offspring would be a humanoid figure, with the spell capabilities of the pixie, and the ability to change into a dragon form, or still a humanoid form, but with some type of dragon appearance to it.

I did play such a character in two rp threads, and my fellow posters reacted well to her, and interacted eagerly.  But there were a few nay sayers who said the whole thing was nonsense and trash.

Opinions appreciated. :)
The moonlight reflects off her silvery-blue fur, tis the she-wolf stalking through the night.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 04:40:22 AM »
Personally, when dragon halfbreeds are involved, I tend to append draconic features to the base form of the other. Then again, I rarely deal with those of my cousins who spend their time learning to polymorph - my ability to sizeshift was a rare strain among my kind; shapeshifting was unheard of...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 09:08:23 AM »
Personally, I think that the dragon pixie combo is a bit much if she has all the strengths of each.

I am not a fan of free forming it, but I think when a creature is given a strength I think they should get at least one weakness.  I think of the munchkin you describe I another thread, and say to myself “why would anybody want to RP a god like character?â€?.  

I think it is more fun to play a slightly shifted character with some special not too powerful ability, and then trying to play that to an advantage. Like the ability to talk to cats, or the ability to innately make a spot appear on the wall.  Some might say “What’s the point in that, who would care to have those abilities?â€? but I say it is all about the way you play you character.
If I am wrong, it is probably because you misunderstand me

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 10:17:45 AM »
I have to agree with drphluid. It sounds like it's a little much. Are there any real limits on what this charater can do? I like the idea but it sounds like it could become a muchkin charater with a get deal of speed and little difficulty.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 01:13:52 PM »
As a side note: the forums where the half-pixie-half-dragon happened has a few details to note, chief amongst them being the fact that there are multiple people who literally play gods and creatures of similar superhuman power. The Exploding Munchkin Dragon is of those forums, as well...

So it tends to match power to power to even get noticed.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 11:57:36 PM »
It does seem trivial to have all the power of a dragon and the powers of a pixie when you are in the company of a universe/multiverse destroying exploding munchkin dragon. :roll:

This munchkin is sounding more god like all the time.  He has the power to affect and influence people with only his presence.  It would be fun to get this munchkin in a real game (where he was not the Dungeon/Game master).  But ohh would the whining hurt after a while. :twisted:

BOOM!! I have just exploded and taken out this part of the inernetverse.
 :wink:

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 12:36:12 AM »
...Sheesh. That explains why the routers have been acting funny. Someone blew up and took out a region!
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2003, 12:44:28 AM »
Well I think I was able to keep my character to acceptable limits....I gave her most of the abilities of a pixie.  When it came to the dragon part, she was only able to take on some physical characteristics(dragon wings, tail, scales along her back where the wings and tail were)...but her spell powers and strength did not increase.  Her size did increase (2 ft to 4 ft), and the wings and tails gave her more manuvering in the air.

As for exploding....I left that to the other guy.
The moonlight reflects off her silvery-blue fur, tis the she-wolf stalking through the night.

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2003, 09:42:52 PM »
Kind of dangerous if all the dragons had the power to explode and blow up entire chunks of reality
There are only two unlimited things:
The universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not so sure about the universe.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 10:38:05 PM »
Well. It would certainly make my job hard. :D
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 10:40:04 PM »
When people talk about cross breeding fantasy creatures, I always think back to a Xanth book. There was a love spring, and when creatures drank from it, they would exhibit the effects of the spring with the next creature of appropriate gender. This was their way of explaining pegasi and such.

Not every cross breed has to have both the weaknesses and strengths of the parents. Look at the pegasus. Let's say it was derived from a giant eagle and a horse. The eagle is a carnivore/ scavenger and the horse is a herbivore. Pegasi are herbivores, but is that an advantage or disadvantage? They do lack the claws of the eagles to grab onto prey or branches so that is a disadvantage. If you compare a pegasus with a hippogryph, they are very similar, could one be a mutated offspring of the other?

Before we start breaking out books on gentics and guessing which trait could be dominate or regressive, step back for a moment. Nearly all the creatures involved are fantasy, or at the very least, thier coupling will be. Make up something interesting that mantains the game balance and enjoy yourself.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2003, 01:22:54 AM »
In the case of the pegasi being a herbivore has to be an advantage if you do not have claws to grab your prey with.

Xanth, ahh those were some good readings.  I especially liked "a spell for chameleon", oops that is a topic for another thread.

Let me see if I can be concise with this…

We are talking about a fantasy, BUT just rolling the dice is not that fun, I like fantasy that conforms to some rules (even fantasy rules).  If we are going to develop a fantasy creature to be used as a player character then it should have a history, a set of strengths and weaknesses.  For completeness sake the reasons should make a little sense.

Example:
Exploding pixie dragons can explode when angered because they are really huge and they are squished into a really small body.  When angered it causes their blood to boil and that causes the body to pop, releasing the big dragon in the little body.

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 08:20:05 AM »
Oh, I most certainly agree that in gaming, the rules should be followed.  But in freeform rp threads, there should be leeway....but still keep a lock on severe munchkinism.

I also enjoyed "Xanth"

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2003, 06:19:03 PM »
Well you must be doing something right!  You said that you have played the half pixie/half dragon successfully before.  Just watch out for those knights on those white horses.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 05:27:25 AM »
Quote from: "Lady Wiccan Wolf"
Well I think I was able to keep my character to acceptable limits....I gave her most of the abilities of a pixie.  When it came to the dragon part, she was only able to take on some physical characteristics(dragon wings, tail, scales along her back where the wings and tail were)...but her spell powers and strength did not increase.  Her size did increase (2 ft to 4 ft), and the wings and tails gave her more manuvering in the air.

What about the psychical characteristics? Perhaps you have this little liking for nice and valuable items, not wearing them around but having them somewhere safe, where you can admire them...

What about other dragon-like behaviour? Pixies are often pranksters, Dragons want to be taken seriously (even when joking).

How are your parents shown, if we ignore your looks?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 06:34:22 AM »
Basic physical characteristics:  small humanoid with dragonfly wings (dragon features come when she wills them to).  Usually has a little home tucked away in a secluded forest area...when adventuring, carries a pouch to keep things in.

Her behaviour:  depends on how I feel like using her in a rp thread..she's been extremely silly to gutsy to serious in nature.  I figure it out as the other characters post, and get a feel for what they are looking for.

Parents: mother a pixie, father a black dragon......I didn't give details of the mating ritual, and no one has asked.

Basically, I wing it (no pun intended)

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 09:53:11 PM »
My only comments on your parents are: OUCH! and Does your mother get child support?
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 06:34:53 AM »
My parents...tis a sad tale indeed.  My pixie mother, a beautiful, innocent maiden saved a black dragon, whom she found injured after a terrible battle with a red dragon.  She healed him, and he became charmed with her.  Using his magical abilities, he turned himself into a male pixie, wooed her....and thereby, begot myself.

But the life of a pixie was not for him, he returned to his true self....and mother was understanding indeed...and he often visited with us.  He was a true father in every manner.

One day, evil men tried to kidnap my mother and myself.....our father came to our rescue, but was killed.   :(   Mother and I escaped, but our dearest black dragon was no more.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 11:18:24 PM »
Wow. Them were some d**n powerful kidnappers, if they killed a black dragon.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 11:15:09 PM »
Who comes to get a pixie packing the heat to take out a black dragon?

Wouldn't being a male pixie have made the child a regular pixie?

:? Never mind. I was trying to applie reality to fantasy, that's futile.

A good and tragic story, lots of good hooks for DMs to exploit. Mom gets kidnapped, your uncle shows up, what do the neighbors think, all good stuff.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2003, 05:51:18 AM »
Eh, it beats the background an old DM of mine gave my one-and-only half-dragon...

My mother: a Lawful Good elven priestess.
My father: a chaotic evil black dragon.
My father took a fancy to my mother and raped her.

Lo and behold, there is born a half-dragon of a True Neutral alignment. (I'm a ROCK!)
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2003, 05:55:06 AM »
A minor abilty:

From time to time, your feel strange around certain people... rarely, but it happens. Some people seem to strange, and... actually not what they seem to be.

What is it? Ability to sense dragons, even if they are polymorphed. (I think most dragons should have it.)

To make it not too easy, similar may be true for you. That's why those stupid beginner adventurers with their Charms of Dragon Detecting (tm) keep coming, and asking if you are a dragon or not. :wink:

Worse, there are rituals etc. that need dragon-blood to work. Some folks may not be powerfull enough to kill a dragon, but you... you should be careful at times...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Lady Wiccan Wolf

• Adept
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2003, 07:19:56 AM »
I'm glad I was able to post my ideas, and they made some sort of sense.

One thing I am learning Agar....try not to think too much about reality when trying to play in a fantasy.

Offline KingOfChaos

• Apprentice
    • http://www.realmsofevil.net/
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2003, 03:59:43 AM »
My only half dragon character (half moon elf/half rain linorm) was created through magic, not through any sort of rape or other violent act.  He was the experiment of a drow lich who was attempting to couple the natural sorcery of a dragon with the physical beauty of the elves and what he got was basically a draconian from Dragonlance (which isn't what he wanted at all, since Draegan wasn't anywhere near beautiful, but he though he was ;) ).

Draegan was hatched from an egg, didn't know who his real parents were, but was forced on an elven family whose daughter got 'attached' to the baby.  The drow lich (now a deity in my campaign) known as Zanatose still checks up now and again on his 'creation' and is pleased to see him grow into a powerful water elementalist.  In fact, Draegan makes his home in a colossal sized conch shell which floats in the elemental plane of water.

Of course, both Zanatose and Draegan are retired from play now ;)
Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil Games Publishing
http://www.realmsofevil.net/

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Half Pixie/Half Dragon??
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2003, 06:35:38 PM »
Heh. My halfbreed made it all the way to being a 3rd level fighter (2nd Edition AD&D) before that campaign ended... Sad, how I've never had a character make it past 5th level naturally. Mostly because of lousy DMs and my own regular appearance behind them game screen...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"