llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Setting Forge to World Submission  (Read 888 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Erfunden

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Setting Forge to World Submission
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »
I'm still getting my sea legs here so please bear with my silly newbie question.
Should my post in the "Setting Forge" forum be submitted under Locations, World?  Or does it need to be refined and perfected (as I think the Setting Forge is for) first?  Or is Locations, World simply not the right place for it to be submitted at all?

On a not unrelated train of thought, the two unusual races I mention in my post (Meahuni and Troglodytes) should be submitted, with more details, under Lifeforms, Intelligent, correct?

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: Setting Forge to World Submission
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
The Menahuni and the Trogs could be submitted under the Lifeform/intelligent catagory, and even the humans of your setting can be submitted since paleologically speaking the age of man and the age of the dinosaurs was seperated by something like 64 million years. Who are they, where did they come from, details such as their society, faith and so forth, since common science places humanities origin somewhere in eastern Africa, and not in North America.

You've got a real solid start on the setting, but I hope to see more details about it, specifically more on the society level, since I have a fairly solid grasp of the animal and plantlife of the late Cretacous period of North America. BTW, the angiosperms had already established themselves by this point, with the big turning point having been some time back in the late jurassic and early cretacous period. As for what category to submit it in, I would suggest the Location/world. If you want a second opinion, I would suggest Moonhunter

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Erfunden

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
Thanks Scrasamax, that sounds like the kind of advice I need. And since I know far less than I would like about the period I'm trying to recreate, your knowedge is worth it's weight in gold to me.
Angeosperms still weren't as dominant as they are today, right?  I was under the impression that while they definitely had a major foothold, gymnosprems still had dominance.  Grasses in perticular weren't around yet, right?
As far as where the humans came from, I'm definitely going to have to attribute it to some mystic force or seeding from a more developed world.  Really I need to come up with a myth to explain them.  In the stories that I've been writting, the ones that started this whole thing, I've alluded to more developed societies in the mediterranian area, and I'm going to need to flesh out how settled the rest of the world is before I actually write a world submission.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »
according to The Dinosaur Heresies by Robert Bakker, angiosperms didnt appear in the fossil record until after the jurassic extinction, with the balance between gymnosperm and cycadoid slipping during the middle of the Cretacous period. By the end of the period, the angiosperm had achieved dominance over the other forms of plantlife. Grasses had developed during the mid to late cretacous period, and several dinosaurs, namely the ankylosours, had developed mouths to eat grasses rather than leaves of bushes, cycads and trees.

Good luck!

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity