llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Of all the role-playing systems...  (Read 2288 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Of all the role-playing systems...
« on: March 18, 2003, 04:02:12 PM »
Has anyone happened to have/know where to find a way to convert creatures from the Rifts/Palladium system to d20? I found some creatures I want to send at my party, and I can't seem to figure out a good way of converting them.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 05:45:01 PM »
well i play palladium rpg fantasy its the same as rifts just explain me what is d20?

and maybe i can help you out
the new gods of palladium have arrive  you can run and hide but soon you willl die.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 07:29:04 PM »
The art f conversion is always a fly-by-night madness-inducing effect. Basically, to convert it, look at the relative power and strength of the thing in the original system - then assign it stats to equate that in the new system. If you can't find a matching ability for special powers in the new system - invent it.

No single conversion chart works for all players or groups, and can even vary in usefullness from monster to monster.

And D20 is a generic game system. WotC's attempt at making another GURPS or FUDGE. (Failing horribly, I might add, in comparison.)
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 01:28:34 PM »
I'm not looking for a chart, just a consistant method for converting stats over. I don't have alot of time to be inventing things with my final exams in three weeks :( .

And to expand on Kassil's explanation...

D20 is a system that uses a twenty-sided die to make most checks (ie. attacks, saving throws, etc.). The stats are divided into:

strength(physical power)
dexterity(flexability)
consititution(physical endurance)
intellegence(IQ)
wisdom(perception)
charisma(physical appeal)

Players usually roll 3 six-sided dice and assign the sum of the roll(s) to each stat. Each race/creature has modifiers to these stats appropriate.

There are numerous worlds/games,ranging the course from low to high tech settings, that run off the system currently. I find it's a good place for beginners as there isn't alot of different die rolls to remember.

Now maybe someone can explain to me what a GURPS or FUDGE is.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 04:27:52 PM »
What are GURPS and FUDGE?

D20 is the 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons game system that they have published an open-game lisence for so that people can use it whenever they want and not just in Dungeons and Dragons products.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 05:58:57 PM »
GURPS: Generic Universal Role Playing System
While the sourcebook are excellently detailed, GURPS itself tends to lends itself to a somewhat cinematic, swashbuckler style of play, much like that found in an action movie. It's aged quite a bit better than D&D or White Wolf has, but the style of play it fits doesn't work for most gamers.

FUDGE: Freeform Universal Do-it-yourself Gaming Engine
With no numeric stats and nothing actually set as far as stats or anything but the base mechanics goes, FUDGE is a fantastic engine for making any genre of game you could possibly want. While it takes a measure more of work for the GM than, say, D20, Rifts, or even Cyberpunk 2020, it has incredible versatility.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline KingOfChaos

• Apprentice
    • http://www.realmsofevil.net/
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 07:18:18 PM »
I would watch out converting ANY Palladium game to D20 and putting it online...even in a forum post.  Kevin Siembada is an ass and he has promised to sue even FANS of RIFTS that dare convert any of his badly written, high and mighty, RPG system to D20 rules.

As you can tell, I really don't like him or his rules system that much :P
Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil Games Publishing
http://www.realmsofevil.net/

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 07:29:48 PM »
He is an ass. And a munchkin.

It's only recently that he's even really allowed anyone else to work on books for the Palladium system, and even then he extensively 'edits' it, to make sure it matches his Grand Vision.

He also threatened to sue some guy who decided to make a Flash animation of a Glitter Boy firing the Boom Gun, with the Palladium legal defense pretty much being, "if we let him get away with this, what if Spielberg decided he wanted to make a Rifts movie? He could use this as leverage to avoid our copyright!"

...Personally, after I left my Munchkin Gamer phase, I've let most of my Palladium books gather dust.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 08:53:29 PM »
Palladium? Rifts? Glitter Boy firing the Boom Gun?

Please explain to me! I want to know more!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 09:11:04 PM »
Palladium is the name of the game company.

Rifts is their biggest line, a post-apocalyptic blend of magic and science. It is also a munchkin powergamer's wet dream come true, as in later books there are pistols capable of levelling heavily armored elder dragons in a single shot.

A Glitter Boy is a suit of powered armor with a mirror-like coating that gives it resistance to laser weaponry (unless, for some unknown reason, you use a variable-frequency laser that mystically manages to bypass the simple principle of reflection - accurate science isn't the strong point here.) and a large railgun known as the 'Boom Gun' which supposed fires a steel slug at Mach 2 (modern pistols can manage this; later arguments put the Boom Gun as firing it out at Mach 15 to 20)
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 09:46:10 AM »
The conversion is strictly for personal use. some of my players are really starting to bug me and I want to give the a scare :twisted:.

Rifts can be a munchkin game if you choose to play it that way. I happen to play it, but I'm using a muntant panther ranger from the Palladium world. Of our party of four only two of us have died, or not come dangerously close to death. One is a glitterboy pilot and the other is me. I think it's weird when a 5'4" cat on two legs manages to outlast a Cyber-knight(rahu-man[a four armed giant for those who don't play]) and a dragon hatchling.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 02:22:35 PM »
Rifts versions of dragons are utterly pathetic. Underpowered, under-respected, and generally nowhere near as potent as they really deserve to be. And yes, I am picky about dragons. I have reason to be.  :lol:
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 09:02:50 PM »
Understandable. Just for the record, the hatchling hasn't died yet, but I almost got it killed off againest a hydra last time my group met.