llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ideas for a pirate kingdom  (Read 64 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
Ideas for a pirate kingdom
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
I've currently got the vague outline of an idea for a pirate kingdom in my head, but it might need some additional input from my fellow Strolenites before  I might be able to flesh it out.  There's basically this kingdom of pirates which inhabits this remote island. They sally out to prey on shipping before retreating to their island fortress.  Most of the pirates are former criminals who have escaped justice in their lands and have accordingly  fled to the island for sanctuary. Now, what distinguishes them from other pirates  is that they worship a  sea deity that regards them as its chosen elect and which promises to someday elevate them. Would this work better as a location or as a society? Also, I'm thinking of having it ruled by pirate overlords who also simultaneously serve as religious leaders. Do  any of you have suggestions that might help to add more details and verisimilitude to this sub? As always, much appreciated. Thanks. 
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Ideas for a pirate kingdom
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
How far into fantasy do you want to go with this?  Can these pirates work with their sea god to hide fully manned ships underwater?  Does the weather or the tides always favor the pirates?

If we go for more verisimilitude here are some questions to consider.

How much of the islands economy does pirating make up.  It is clear that the island lords profit from piracy, but how does the food get on the forks?  Do they farm on the island? Is all the food imported or captured?

How do they move their pirated goods? Are they in bed with various merchants or do the pirate's lord loyalities favor certain nations or ethnicities?  Say do they mostly steal from the Spanish and primarily sell to the Dutch.

How long has this island been around?

What is the islands history?

There are lot of things you could play up, but from what you wrote I feel like you want to focus on the sea god relationship. Maybe should focus your write up on the sea god and his followers.  Then you can just mention that they indulge in piracy.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
I'd be interested to know more about the sea god and why the pirates are his chosen. Is he himself considered a criminal amongst the other gods? Is there some lore which puts his needs and interests in line with those of the pirates? Does he only look over a small portion of the sea (with the island at its center) which limits the range of the pirates? What has he done to prove to the pirates that they can trust him to elevate them (and what does that mean, exactly)? Does he take some perverse pleasure in murder and theft occurring in his waters? Do the pirates sacrifice victims (and possibly small amounts of loot?) to this god by throwing them into the sea?
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
Hey axlerows and MysticMoon, thanks so much for the interesting and pertinent points  that the two of you have raised. I have a better idea now as to which direction my sub might be headed in. To answer some of  your questions, the deity in question is something of an ancient god toppled by the reigning divinities.   The island is actually the prison containing him.  His powers have consequently been diminished  by his bondage but he nevertheless still has enough pwer to control the waters in the zone of Codarshool. He detests the hypocrisy   of the other gods whom he regards as deliberately employing  the concept of sin in order to keep their worshipers cowed and meek. Consequently,  he encourages his worshipers to disregard guilt or sin based moral concepts. If it is within their power to enjoy something, they should do so, regardless of the consequences for others. Thus acts like rape or robbery are lauded among the pirates and are actually seen as acts of worship that are pleasing to the god. The god disdains ritual sacrifices as such since he seems them as bribes made by cowardly mortal to tyrannical gods to tempt the latter in sparing them. His followers are criminals who have refused to honor the hypocrisy of traditional moral codes and have in consequence been   single out for his favor.  He wants his followers to be anti-heroes in the example of Nietzsche 's Super-Man rather than cowering slaves.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:16:19 PM by Maggot »
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »