llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: 30 Amazons submission  (Read 27 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
30 Amazons submission
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:12:17 AM »
So I have had a submission in work for creeping up on a year, 30 Amazons. It's set in the Cosmic Era (because everything I do is now) and it's basically importing existing characters and character concepts into the setting and using the island nation as a focal point.

I have been working on the list for a while, and I have gone back to read it, and honestly I don't like it.

Would you rather see a straight up translation: This is Aeon Flux, and this is how she would be presented in the Cosmic Era in terms of abilities and explanations (genetic modification, squid joint augmentation, assassin MOS, Spy MOS, Alpha series clone)

Or would you rather see a character inspired by previously mentioned character, insert mumblish name and backstork, same list of abilities.

I am thinking that I just want to be up front about it the inspirations, because it's like Axlerowes said about the Cosmic Era setting, it's about getting all of the toys down and playing in the sandbox, I am leaning towards the first option because the second is starting to feel stale and disengaging.

Plus the obvious character reference isn't always the character people think it is. I wrote and NPC who is a cipher of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, and no one got even close on their guesses as to who it was. He even had a talking dog.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
Re: 30 Amazons submission
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:52:10 AM »
I agree with you about going with the first option. One of the fun things about the CE is seeing how your various inspirations come to fruition.

I suppose a combination of the two - explaining the character from through the Cosmic Era lens, then revealing from whence they came - would be optimal, but for an in-work that's been languishing a year, that would be asking a lot.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4