llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: guild wars  (Read 1161 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
guild wars
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:49:36 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has the game guild wars and what they think of it
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: guild wars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:37:39 PM »
I like Guild Wars, I think it's a lot of fun, and I like it's art style. But in a lot of ways, by focusing on the action and competition aspects of the game, they've ruined my chances of actually *roleplaying* in the game. Which I suppose was their aim- to make a MMORPG for the casual player. But I think they could put all that cool imagery and scenery to good use by at least putting in some grounds for roleplaying in the game. Plus, the lauded "story" was ludicrously weak... They had little more storyline to it than World of Warcraft.

Still, it's fun. I play it occasionally.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:08:46 PM »
So what kind of game is strong where guild wars is weak i only have a few games for PC :(
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
They do not make good story games anymore. A trend shift in the CRPG industry around 1999-2000 made the developers target the younger audience and the christmas shopping market. That is why you will see most titles launched in time for the holidays, and why every game is a deja vu of the previous one. (The marketing staff made the developers focus on the top sellers. The niche games were all but forgotten. Good story games, like the early adventure and CRPG games, sold well, but not well enough.)

If you want the retro feel of anti-MMO, story focused gaming: Buy copies of the old Fallout, Fallout 2  and Planescape: Torment (lots and lots and lots of text in the last one). Do NOT buy Fallout Tactics or Fallout Brotherhood of Steel. Those last two games s***.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:14:59 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 05:24:15 PM »
how retro

thanks alot :D

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:15:12 PM »
Retro can often mean "better". ;)
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist