llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm dming a group of anime fans ... anime should never touch my d20 ... HELP!  (Read 1331 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
yeah, my subject kinda says it all. I'm looking for ways to get rid of their impatience, munchkinism, also the belief that all swords must be named in japanese is annoying. If anyone has ideas for improving this doomed to fail group, let me know.

P.S. :  If you're just going to argue otaku good or bad, d20 good or bad, etc., PLEASE DON'T. I'm looking to save a group that, by the way, is the greatest when
OOC. I'd like to get them that good when in character.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:21:19 PM by Druid_Wiking »
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
It sounds like you are quite fed up already Druid Viking. ;)

Well, hang in there, there is hope still :)

Basically they want X and you want Y. As their GM you have an obligation to make their time worthwhile, yet what is the point in GMing if you hate every second?

You need to think about some things:
1. Make a world pack (Check out the main site, look for the user MoonHunter in the article section). Give the world pack to the players and say: This is it. This is how it works. Can you guys live by these rules?

2. Ask all your players what they enjoy in regards to roleplaying. Make a list and treat their desires with respect. If your player says he thinks that being a Drow Ninja Katana wielding Neo-clone is awesome, respect that. You should respect your players. When you have their answers, try to satisfy their desires AND keep your integrity intact. Find ways to make their anime fantasies come true without making your game anime.

3. If all else fails you need to acknowledge that, as human beings, we crave different things. Take this site: Some come here to get inspired. Some comes here to be creative. Some come here to find friends and gain acceptance. Some come here to learn and get advice. Some come here to impress, and some come here to play by forum and have fun. It might just be that you are really looking for very different things. It might be your desires are incompatible.

Anyhow: Did you notice how the motives changed? It is the same with your group, and on multiple levels. Some players love the thrill of the dice roll, while other players love the theatre and drama. Some players love to immerse themselves into another world, another life, and they want to be in that virtual reality, what they ain't in real life.

So your players come to roleplay and they want to be whatever their heart desire. They might want to wear trench coats and wield a Dai-Katana and a wakazashi. They might want to run on walls and dodge bullets. They probably want to have fun.

It is your job to make them have that fun, but also to make them improve as players. With proper guidance you might make them do just that. So the next time a player wants to wield a Katana called "A thousand fiery blossoms", ask him if a Claymore named "The Eermoore Family Blade" will do... As it fits the description in the world pack better.

Give your players what they desire, but in your own way.

So to recap:
A)Create a world pack, a clear definition of the setting.
B)Interview your players, get to know what makes their day.
C)Shape their desires to your world pack. Satisfy their needs in your way.
D)If all else fails: Ruuuuun Forest, ruuuun! ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 05:08:31 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Yep, that's why anime fans make terrible roleplayers. They tend to end up as munchkins, too.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Speaking as a gamer and an otaku (anime freak for those at home), I think I must protest that statement, Cap.  The problem is not being an anime fan.  The problem is that some people just aren't mature enough or just aren't made to play a certain style.
And didn't you once tell me you were an otaku, Cap?
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Not really... I like anime, I'm not a huge fan of some of those ridiculous shows like Inu Yasha, which were basically specifically made for preteens. I like stuff like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion.

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
It sounds like you are quite fed up already Druid Viking. ;)

Well, hang in there, there is hope still :)

Basically they want X and you want Y. As their GM you have an obligation to make their time worthwhile, yet what is the point in GMing if you hate every second?

You need to think about some things:
1. Make a world pack (Check out the main site, look for the user MoonHunter in the article section). Give the world pack to the players and say: This is it. This is how it works. Can you guys live by these rules?

2. Ask all your players what they enjoy in regards to roleplaying. Make a list and treat their desires with respect. If your player says he thinks that being a Drow Ninja Katana wielding Neo-clone is awesome, respect that. You should respect your players. When you have their answers, try to satisfy their desires AND keep your integrity intact. Find ways to make their anime fantasies come true without making your game anime.

3. If all else fails you need to acknowledge that, as human beings, we crave different things. Take this site: Some come here to get inspired. Some comes here to be creative. Some come here to find friends and gain acceptance. Some come here to learn and get advice. Some come here to impress, and some come here to play by forum and have fun. It might just be that you are really looking for very different things. It might be your desires are incompatible.

Anyhow: Did you notice how the motives changed? It is the same with your group, and on multiple levels. Some players love the thrill of the dice roll, while other players love the theatre and drama. Some players love to immerse themselves into another world, another life, and they want to be in that virtual reality, what they ain't in real life.

So your players come to roleplay and they want to be whatever their heart desire. They might want to wear trench coats and wield a Dai-Katana and a wakazashi. They might want to run on walls and dodge bullets. They probably want to have fun.

It is your job to make them have that fun, but also to make them improve as players. With proper guidance you might make them do just that. So the next time a player wants to wield a Katana called "A thousand fiery blossoms", ask him if a Claymore named "The Eermoore Family Blade" will do... As it fits the description in the world pack better.

Give your players what they desire, but in your own way.

So to recap:
A)Create a world pack, a clear definition of the setting.
B)Interview your players, get to know what makes their day.
C)Shape their desires to your world pack. Satisfy their needs in your way.
D)If all else fails: Ruuuuun Forest, ruuuun! ;)

The greatest problem yet seen, is the face of those out of world,
their histories absurd, and to their own glory,
destroying the greatest campaigns.
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Uh... What?

Anyway, I think that you should probably just put your foot down and tell them no more bulls**t. This is not "Super Happy Sword Warriors" or whatever the hell childish crap they're watching (don't get on my case, anime fans, I like anime, too, and just because it's anime doesn't mean it's good). This is roleplaying.

Of course, this could all be moot if the anime stylings fit into your campaign setting. But I guess since you're using *shudder* D20, you're using a boring old elves-and-dwarves "medieval" setting.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Capt I must object.  Not ALL d20 settings are horrible, there are some that rise to the level of mediocrity.
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Pariah is right, there are 2. I haven't seen them yet but I have heard rumors of them.

If you really want to play with these animunchkins then you are going to have to meet them halfway. If you force them to your will, they won't like it. If you do what they want, you won't like it.

Sort of sounds like a doomed group to begin with. Need to have similiar interestes or a willingness to try something new otherwise it is a futile conflict that will only end in annoyance. A party must agree to change for the good of the game, else scrap the game.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Capt I must object.  Not ALL d20 settings are horrible, there are some that rise to the level of mediocrity.

You're right, there is Eberron, which isn't half bad. And sometimes Forgotten Realms is alright.