llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Terry Pratchett Quotes  (Read 59 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Be who you claim to be, that is all.
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Terry Pratchett Quotes
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »
One of my favourite authors has sadly left us, today.  :( :cry: I salute you, Terry, I'm saddened that I never got to meet you, but you changed my life all the same.

“Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree. But people have always been dimly aware of the problem with the start of things. They wonder how the snowplough driver gets to work, or how the makers of dictionaries look up the spelling of words.”

“Progress just means bad things happen faster.”

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”

“The intelligence of that creature known as a crowd is the square root of the number of people in it.”

“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.”

“The enemy isn't men, or women, it's bloody stupid people and no one has the right to be stupid.”

“The female mind is certainly a devious one, my lord."
Vetinari looked at his secretary in surprise. "Well, of course it is. It has to deal with the male one.”

“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”

“What have I always believed?
That on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out all right.”

“The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.”

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”

“HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM. (Death)”

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

“Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.”

“Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.”

“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

“I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.”

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Terry Pratchett Quotes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:41:07 AM »
Thank you for posting these Goss!

I felt sad when I heard about his passing. I loved his books and read most of them growing up. I think I will need to re-read them. Though I still haven't read the new ones. There's a project lined up!

The message on his Twitter account was a nice touch I think. Though if that was his idea I don't know.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Be who you claim to be, that is all.
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: Terry Pratchett Quotes
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Always did like his depiction of the Grim Reaper, more human than many humans I know. I hope Hollywood doesn't loot his legacy anytime soon.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4