llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mercenary posting  (Read 4184 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Mercenary posting
« on: January 22, 2006, 02:47:18 PM »
Here we go. I am thinking about making a whole codex of mercenary companies, mercenaries, and some such. I am working on another unit or two. So here is the deal, in mercenary fashion.  You write up a mercenary unit, mercenary leader, a mercenary soldiers (extras or even hords), or something related to the mercenary life.... put mercenary in the free-text; post up what you want me to post or comment on here.

So if Kinslayers wrote up a mercenary unit, he would reply here and asking me to post something for him, like a new demon cult for Midian, or somesuch.

See, I am now an mercenary. Pay me with a post and I will post for you.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Re: Mercenary posting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:29:39 AM »
This fish would have bitten even without the personal bait.  I'll see what I can do for this, but no promises on the timeline...
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:45:56 AM »
Go look at Arkath the Contractor.  Should this be acceptable, go... comment on one of my submissions, I guess.  Your choice.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 05:11:38 AM »
I'm certainly interested..  Give me a couple of days,and I might have something that will whet your apetite.. How do you feel about merc companies that have a specalised purpose?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:05:02 PM »
Ok but I might not be able to think of anything.
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
Legion of the Broken Oath
Sippenhaft

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »
How do you feel about merc companies that have a specalised purpose?

Please and Thank You.

Most mercenary companies that are generic grunts that don't have a special history or twist, need to be specialized to be worth writing up. Otherwise we should just have a list of merc company names (with a one line description of each).

And remember, if you post something mercenary, you can ask me to post something for you.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »
And remember, if you post something mercenary, you can ask me to post something for you.

I'd like to take you up on that offer. Something along the lines of a specalised unit of soldiers that have the appropriate weepons and spells to take on mystically enhanced Eshal warriors that claim the ability to turn into mist when confronted with steel weapons, would be nice. I've been trying to think of a suitable counter-measure that invading humans might develop to counter Eshal employed sorcery, for quite some time now. Maybe you can assist me with that.

Thanks.

P.S: On a side note, I might develop an NPC based on someone from the Leering Skulls.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
And when you thought it was over with mercenary companies, I got an idea myself.

Not the best work, but there´s got to be companies like this, too: Black Feathers
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »
If the offer is still on the table, I would like to take you up on it Moon.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »
Post your merc unit up, then tell me what you want me to write upon.    As long as this thread is still around, it is an open offer.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »
Company of the Broken Oath

Sippenhaft

I did these two earlier in responce to the challenge, but couldn't come up with any ideas for what to ask for, but I was doing some more work on the Low Sorcery submission and came up with an idea. I tihnk it would be great if you could do a posting on a low sorcery form of healing, possibly based on the ideal of the four vital humors (sanguine, melancholy, phlegmatic, and the forth i forget). Looking for a submission to fit between basic field first aid and the standard trip to the healer/cleric for a Cure Wounds spell.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
I actually am working on the piece. I am trying to find up some references for it now.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
sweet!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 10:46:05 PM »
Background
Heldannic Common Law of Property: Anyone settling and improving land by construction, agriculture, irrigation, clearing, or special preservation, can be said to rightfully claim that land as long as it has not already been rightfully claimed by the settling and improvements by another. Any person or family that settles & claims land must hold it (living on it/using it) for at least 7 years before the claim becomes irrefutable.  This must be by improvement/usage, and/or continuous dwelling, but different members of the same family may exchange the "living there" duties.  In some cases, a mercenary tennant can be sort of "adopted" into a family to improve & live on the claimed land. Any abandoned land may be reclaimed by another after a further 7 years.

Mercenary Householders
The Householders is an influential--if rather loose--organisation of Heldannic mercenaries.  Admittance into this organisation is only for those of strong character, known to be competent and also capable warriors.  This is to ensure that the Householders maintain their reputation as safe and steady, so that they will not claim the land as their own, allow it to fall into ruin, nor allow another to take the land by force of arms.  One may also join by a claim of legacy:  if one of your parents, grandparents, aunts, or uncles was a Householder, then your admittance is all but assured. 

As the individual members are officially adopted into various Freeholder families (even if the "parents" are younger than the mercenary), they maintain strong ties to most of the influentials in Heldannic society.  Most often, the Householders are employed for a sort of garrison duty for an established Freehold if there is no one old enough, or trusted enough, to run things while the authority is away for an extended period.  Typically, the Householder is allowed to operate the land/Freehold as though it were his or her own, collecting any profits derived, and often receives a gift when the actual owners return.  Should the rightful owners not return, the land remains the property of the Householder.  On occasion, a Householder is employed for an initial claim of land.  In these cases, the mercenary is expected to clear, build, farm, and defend the land for the required seven years.  For this service, the Householder receives start-up supplies and funds, and a regular stipend of some valued good or hacksilver. 

All Householder mercenaries must swear an oath of loyalty to the organisation, and to perform their duties respectfully.  They must pay annual dues of one pound of silver (even if not currently employed) or the equivalent in useful goods.  They must also perform the occasional task for the organisation, such as using one's personal influence in negotiating a new contract.  In exchange, the organisation assigns land/missions, performs public relations, and does the occassional personal favour for the members. 

This mercenary group has been in operation for over 70 winters, and the founder's son is still in charge, himself now rich, fat, and happy. 

Midian needs settings and cultures, both for the Elder Kingdoms area and the Byzant Empire.  This need not be original, just something that I can use with permission.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Mercenary titles
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 11:27:46 PM »
Mercenary titles:

10 soldiers: Sergeant
50 " : Captain (4+ Sergeants)
200 " : Major (3+ Captains)
500 " : Colonel (2+ Majors)
1000 " : General (2+ Majors)

A merc can basically call herself or himself whatever title that she or he can get away with, but these are the most commonly used ones. That is, you can call yourself Major Woody or General Protection Fault, but don't expect to be treated as having any authority without the requisite number of troops to back you up.

These numbers are simply estimates. That is, a Major who looses a large number of troops, or one of his three Captains, doesn't automatically become demoted to Captain himself. The titles are rather unofficial, and aren't granted by any government military body.

Other titles used by mercenaries--often quite different than official military titles--include:

* Lieutenant, an assistant to the leader--of whatever rank, Captain or higher; these assistants may ammend their own rank with that of their superior, i.e. Lieutenant-Colonel, Lieutenant-General

* Adjutant, similar to a Lieuteant, but primarily an administrative post

* Liaison, an officer who advises a non-military leader, such as a Duke or powerful guildmaster (or guildmistress)

* Quartermaster, this is typically a noncommissioned officer (NCO) who handles provisions for troops; when working for a non-military leader, this position is often filled by a syndic-mercenary who "requisitions" materiel when needed

(Originally from the Lost Souls & Midian forums, by the nameless ghoul, reprinted with permission)

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 10:27:52 AM »
Ummm. Kinslayer... need to convert those into a Citadel, rather than forum post. So they are more a "Mercenary Conventions of Midian" systems post, rather than the mercenary companies we have been posting on the Citadel.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©