llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Interesting Non-Game Stuff  (Read 89879 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Interesting Non-Game Stuff
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »
Yeah, and as some comments have noted, this is not a proof against, merely a complication to be overcome.

We need some more FTL theories. :)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »
I might do another one, since they're so interesting and the potential for 'crunch' is just high enough to satisfy my craving for technobabble.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
(CM: please do!)

The Civil Heretic

Some talking about a current political issue, but mainly it is about Dyson Freeman's life and work and it is a great read. You have to have respect for the man. Long but worth reading.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2009, 03:29:26 AM »
The art of survival: Essential skills for the post-apocalyptic world

Taking lessons in urban survival, evasion, lock picking, escaping restraints and pursuing vehicles... all the necessities for your daily life (or at least your modern or post-apoc gaming). :)

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
As an alternative to the post-apocalypse viewpoint of survival, try this one instead:

Alpha Disaster Contingencies

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »
Bacon Cures Hangovers

An interesting one to keep in mind.

By the power of Bayes!

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:24 AM »
Forging Ahead
"Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love eBay"

An article of the impact of eBay on the looting and selling of archaeological artifacts. While it was feared by many archaeologists at its rise to fame, it has actually hurt much of the black market by... mass-produced forgeries.

These range from the most shrill and primitive knockoffs for tourists to quality products, that can fool even experts (and sometimes expensive lab tests). "Now, the workshops are producing much higher-quality fakes, increasing the category of ambiguous objects now available." ... "Who wants to spend $50,000 on an object 'guaranteed' to be ancient by today's standards, when someone can come along in five years with a new technology that definitively proves it to be a fake?"

Fun reading; and there goes much of one sophisticated branch of crime.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
Ancient/Medieval Notebooks

If your passion is for things steeped in history, our Medieval Photo Journal is the perfect companion.     

Inspired by centuries-old European architecture, its large leather “hinge and buckle” sturdily protect your treasured photos and tales.  As with our standard Photo Journal, the center section contains archival-quality sleeves for up to 36 photos.  The Medieval Photo Journal gives you 80 acid-free rag pages to weave your saga.

http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg70/categoryMaster.aspx

http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg17/category.aspx

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
The Power of Statelessness

"Most political groups in modern history have wanted to build and control a state. Whether movements of self-determination in the 19th century, of decolonization in the post?World War II decades, or political parties advocating separatism in several Western states in the 1990s (e.g., Italy and Quebec) ? all aimed at one thing: to have a separate state that they could call their own. The means they employed to achieve this end ranged from terrorism and guerilla warfare to political pressure and electoral campaigns, but the ultimate goal was the same ? creation of its own state.

It is the ultimate goal no longer, and it is likely to be even less so in the future. Many of today?s nonstate groups do not aspire to have a state. In fact, they are considerably more capable of achieving their objectives and maintaining their social cohesion without a state apparatus. The state is a burden for them, while statelessness is not only very feasible but also a source of enormous power. Modern technologies allow these groups to organize themselves, seek financing, and plan and implement actions against their targets ? almost always other states ? without ever establishing a state of their own. They seek power without the responsibility of governing. The result is the opposite of what we came to know over the past two or three centuries: Instead of groups seeking statehood through a variety of means, they now pursue a range of objectives while actively avoiding statehood. Statelessness is no longer eschewed as a source of weakness but embraced as an asset."

It's a long read, with much to ponder on. Take the time.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
Ant mega-colony takes over world

In Europe, one vast colony of Argentine ants is thought to stretch for 6,000km (3,700 miles) along the Mediterranean coast, while another in the US, known as the "Californian large", extends over 900km (560 miles) along the coast of California. A third huge colony exists on the west coast of Japan.

While ants are usually highly territorial, those living within each super-colony are tolerant of one another, even if they live tens or hundreds of kilometres apart. Each super-colony, however, was thought to be quite distinct.

But it now appears that billions of Argentine ants around the world all actually belong to one single global mega-colony.

...whenever ants from the main European and Californian super-colonies and those from the largest colony in Japan came into contact, they acted as if they were old friends.

What's next? Eating humans, once they get everywhere? Run away who can, the Ants take over!

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »
Strange Maps

Gotta see it. A great blog with strange maps, funny maps, ancient maps and all-too-modern maps, created for many a purpose, or no purpose at all. Entertaining, but you sure can find there some inspiration for your game (or even swipe a map or two).

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »
From the you-can't-make-this-up category:

Military EATR: Contractor Working On Horrifying Corpse-Eating Robots

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find -- grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot -- that's right, "EATR" -- "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material -- animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone.

Seriously... what was that movie called, that included exactly such machines?

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
Take a look at the original source though, Fox is the one that added the Bodies element to the discussion.

Still, a disturbing possibility.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »
Yep, it is noticed in both sources that the company website doesn't mention dead bodies as a source of biomass - but the idea is hard to avoid.

Reading from the detailed description on the company's website, the thing should have an artificial intelligence of some degree and should actively search for sources of food... say, learn to do dumpster diving. :)

Complete with a robotic arm and a little circular saw, or chainsaw(!) as a picture says, this is definitely amusing for folks into sci-fi, especially the post-apocalyptic sort. (How was that movie called again? It was on a trashed planet with an ever-shrinking group of soldiers, and full of lethal small machines that also happened to live from biomass.)

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: July 17, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »
For those who play Fallout, here's an interesting link - actually its interesting across the board.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3748014,00.html

Radaway here we come (A medicine in the game that removes RADs - very handy in the postnuclear world)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
Very interesting indeed - in and out of the game!

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »
Cthulhu returning?

Hundreds of monsters, reportedly up to five feet long with "razor sharp beaks and toothy tentacles" have been reported not just seen in the shallow coastal waters near San Diego, but have been said to be "enveloping" the masks of divers, as well as "yanking at their cameras and gear."

Cephalopods on the rise! Watch out for strange star alignements!

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
More inspiration! 30 Alternative Wonders of the world!
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread487342/pg1

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
Rat-eating plant discovered in Philippines

"The plant is among the largest of all pitchers and is believed to be the largest meat-eating shrub, dissolving rats with acid-like enzymes."

The possibilities.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
Scientists reveal the real reason why we walk in circles when lost

A crucially important research for all travellers and dungeoneerers! Actually, it doesn't explain why it happens, but it documents the key factor: people seem unable to keep walking in a straight like without a clear reference point like the Sun or Moon. Once they lose it, they will eventually walk in circles.

(For fun, you could equip your races with various senses in this area: say that most of them do the same, and those annoying Elves can keep a straight line because they are so well adjusted, or the Dwarves, because they can't rely on the sun or moon, etc. Then watch the conflicts flaming up. ;) )

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:54 AM »
The image of a molecule

How an actual molecule looks like.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
Yeah, and they are pretty cool!

And one of the prototypes is named HAL... can't imagine anything going wrong with that name. :)

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
Revealed: The ghost fleet of the recession

A secretive gathering of empty cargo ships, this is an interesting article by itself - but it contains tons of inspiration for gaming purposes.

- at night, looking at it from the dark land: "It makes you feel as if you are adrift on a dark sea, staring at a city of light."
 - local fisherman says: 'We don't understand why they are here. There are so many ships but no one seems to be on board. When we sail past them in our fishing boats we never see anyone. They are like real ghost ships and some people are scared of them. They believe they may bring a curse with them and that there may be bad spirits on the ships.'
 - what if the world went under one of these days... this fleet could be the start of a new civilization
 - and not to forget, what will you scheming villain do with unusually cheap ships and a surplus of cargo space?