llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fandom, Costuming, Props, and even Cosplay  (Read 74 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Fandom, Costuming, Props, and even Cosplay
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
I guess the thread will be fairly self explanatory from the title. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Fandom, Costuming, Props, and even Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
The RPF  The Replica Prop Forum   Craft your fandom.

Founded in 1997, we are the internet’s oldest and most well-known source for information on the latest props, costumes and models seen in movies, television, video games and other entertainment media.

Our community is a launching platform for fans from all over the world to take their passion for franchises, characters or props and express that fandom in a physical way by building their own replicas. Along the way they learn valuable skills and discover latent artistic talents which can lead to a life-long passion for the creative arts.
With over half a million unique monthly visitors, the RPF’s audience includes artists, movie industry insiders, collectors, costumers, modelers, sculptors, and avid movie fans.

http://www.therpf.com/
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
It is amazing what you can find while searching for something else

The Mynock's Den is a great site for How to resources for 3d printing, plastic molding, and videos on same. 

http://mynocksden.com/

My name is Taras, and I have a house with an attached garage where I make all kinds of stuff in my spare time…. or when my wife kicks me out of the house…. which happens quite often now that I've discovered how awesome my garage is…. so strange.

In 2011, I purchased myself a set of Stormtrooper armour to put on display in my basement. One day, when it was all finished and set up on a mannequin in the corner, I sat there, admiring my work, when a strange thought entered my mind: "I bet I could make stuff like that myself".

I began researching "vacuum forming" on the internet, which mostly consisted of watching YouTube videos and visiting forums like  http://www.therpf.com, and http://www.whitearmor.net to see what others have done in the area of vacuum forming and general prop building.

Several weeks later, armed with my newly acquired knowledge, some artistic talent which I hadn't really tapped into since I was a kid…

.. about $300 in the wallet, and a burning desire to git 'er done, I ventured out to the nearest Home Depot.

A week (and approximately $250) later, my vacuum forming setup was finally built and set up in my garage. Shortly thereafter, I created an original Star Wars-inspired bounty hunter mask, that was followed by the Sith Acolyte Mask from the trailer "Hope" for the game Star Wars: the Old Republic, and finally, the Darth Nihilus mask from the game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II.

I am now in the planning stages for more projects; these will be added to this site as they materialize.

Now, it must be said that I am NOT a professional prop maker. I do not work in the industry, and do not make props for a living; nor do I have a specialty "shop" with all the right tools for the job. I do everything in my garage. In fact, here is a photo of what it looks like.

In that mess, the magic happens. Mostly, I improvise with what tools I have; occasionally, I'll go out and buy something if I really, really, ReALLy need (or want) it.

Ultimately, I created this website to share the methods and techniques I've learned so far, documenting both successes and failures with the hopes of helping other DIY enthusiasts like myself make quality props at home.

Browse around, and enjoy!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
Okay, this? This is awesome. Thank you sir!
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --