llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Tyren] Overview of Tyren  (Read 1283 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
[Tyren] Overview of Tyren
« on: November 07, 2005, 03:01:16 PM »
What is Tyren? Tyren is the name of a world of my own making, which I intend to populate with my ideas and hopefully GM in some day. This is by no means set in stone, and likely things will change within the world more than once, as has happened before.

Now, as for the world itself. Tyren is a world physically separated into three individual continents: Tyren proper, The Blasted Lands, and a third continent named Amaren. The world was forged of five elements: fire, water, earth, air, and void. The first four explain themselves, but void deserves some explaination. Void is that which fills the gaps, not the mere nothingness that most people assume it is. In order to define what something is, you have to define what it is not. Void is the not. It is pure energy, lacking a material form.

This is a mono-deistic world, meaning there ain't much choice in your pantheon. Sorry you DnD nuts, I HATE the moral relativism that comes from multiple gods. There is Trigu, the creator of the world and the five Elemental Defenders, there is L'ruhk, the Prince of Darkness from the emptiness beyond the world. Trigu is good, L'ruhk is evil. Each has his servants, Trigu with the Rhin, and L'ruhk with his demons.

This world is one that has been torn apart by a supernatural war, though most of those who live in current age do not believe "those old myths", or at best consider them the result of actual happenings enhanced by the primitives who didn't know what was happening and thus grasped the only concept available: that the supernatural was warring with itself. This is, of course, absolutely false. The war didn't just involve the supernatural, but relied heavily on those not so primitive mortals and their quite potent magics.

Magic within Tyren comes from Dol, the source of energy created by Trigu to keep the world running smoothly. Avoiding details which will come later in a different thread, Dol can be tapped by using special cards known as kren. That said, kren are very tightly regulated by those who control them, though anyone who knows the trick can use the cards.

At the first point in the world, the Great War is past, and L'ruhk has been "banished" from the world, along with his foul armies; or so those who follow Trigu believe. In fact, they still reside within the world proper, and are subtly manipulating events to provoke another war, with the intent to control the world and oust its creator.

I'm currently trying to brainstorm new ideas for other campaigns. Feel free to suggest things.

Feel free to add questions and comments as needed for clarification.

Index of Tyrenian Posts

Kren Magic
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=2155

Organizations and Groups
[placeholder]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:15:09 PM by Chaosmark »
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: [Tyren] Overview of Tyren
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:02:51 PM »
An idea in growth and a good one at that. I like the Kren cards especially. Keep brainstorming and do not set things in stone, for this has potential. I guess you could spin all sorts of intrigue and scariness from those Kren Cards...

*AG thinks of the normal deck and of Cards thought lost. AG thinks of PCs finding hitherto unknown cards or even finding entirely unknown decks. You could have cards bound to certain cities which serve as nexuses of power for that card. As  a matter of fact I have even read about cards that choose mortal representatives in various fantasy fiction books. You could lend the mystery of Tarot to the setting, or not. ;) In any way: The raw idea of tapping magic using Kren Cards is great. I have no really cool ideas now, but them cerebral juices are flowing ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:59:44 PM »
A. What's wrong with moral relativism? Is the world really that black and white?

B. Kren cards say Yu Gi Oh to me.

Let's see what you come up with next, yeah? Keep at it.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:10:19 PM »
A. What's wrong with moral relativism? Is the world really that black and white?

B. Kren cards say Yu Gi Oh to me.

A) Depends on your viewpoint. From my viewpoint, yes, the world IS that black and white, and the basic tenets of Tyren are as well. Will the campaigns within be as clear-cut? Definitely not. But that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that with multiple gods come multiple "rights" and "wrongs", based on which god you serve. There can be no absolutes, and I simply don't want that sort of thing happening in my world.

B) Yu Gi Oh wishes it were as cool as kren cards. Truth be told, kren cards are more like Iain's gemstone magic system than Yu Gi Oh. The closest relationship between the kiddie cards and mine are the fact that they're cards. =p

The magic system for the moment doesn't have it's thread, though the info exists. Trust me, Yu Gi Oh wishes it were this nifty.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --