llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm Munald, and i'm new here  (Read 1504 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Munald

• Nomad
    • Awards
I'm Munald, and i'm new here
« on: November 02, 2005, 05:12:41 AM »
I´ve been playing rpg´s for about 8 years now.
My first introduction to it, right after I finished reading Lord of the Rings, was
Warhammer. First I just browsed trough the pictures, ´till I saw that picture of a chaos warrior lifting his axe against a zombie dragon, then I said " I want to be this guy..   of course i didn´t get to play as a chaos warrior before a couple of years later, and when that happened, my character became an npc (after killing off the entire party in a crasy rage).

I´ve tried to be a Game master some times  it´s ok, but I´m more comfortable as a player.

Roleplaying can be very hard to explain to an "outsider", especially if they don´t know the feeling u get from reading LotR.
When people ask me  -what is roleplay?  I often say I don´t know..

I have tried many different Gamemasters, and many different rpg´s
some are funny, some high fantasy, some are gory and freaks yuo out,
and some are good.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 09:11:03 AM by Strolen »

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
I´m Munald, and i´m new here
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:45:59 AM »
"Nobody appeared, not quite existing, but not quite not existing either."

Hello Munald, and welcome to the Citadel. Warm greetings.

I hate to break it to you, but Lord of the Rings is not the Alpha and Omega of Fantasy. Just the Alpha. While it did pretty much start the genre, it is not the best fantasy book out there, and it certainly isn't roleplaying in a nutshell.

If you want to explain why roleplaying is so great, you have to explain it in the other person's terms. I had a trumpet player ask me why I liked it so much. I said,

"Imagine that roleplaying is a piece of music. When you sit down to play, there is an infinite number of possibilities. Getting the notes out is only the beginning. You have the ways that you can change the tone of the music with your breath, the way that you can play soft and sweet, or loud and dynamic. You can play a long beautiful note, done to perfection, or a fast paced melody that challenges every aspect of your skill. And of course no matter how good you are, you can never be perfect, there is always more to be done.

This is roleplaying at its most basic, controlling a single person. Writing a melody.

Now imagine writing a harmony. What chords to use, what progressions. Do you want to go straight into the five chord, or augment it with a seven chord first. Major or minor key. Or what about diminished and augmented chords. Do you want a single theme to overplay the rest, or do you want a perfect blend.

This is like running an adventure. Writing a harmony.

Now imagine writing a piece for a whole orchestra. Not only how the notes are played, or what harmony to make, or what chords to use, but now, which instruments to pick. Do you want the low mellow tones of a deep bass, or the higher caress of the violin. Do you want to create a strong trumpet blast, or a sweet mellow tone. Which of the hundreds of instruments do you use where at what parts, for what melodies and harmonies and chords.

This is like running a campaign. It is creating a world with infinite intricacies.

This is what roleplaying is really. This is why it never gets old. Because there is always something more. Always something better...ect"

Anyway that the gist of what I said anyway. Again, it is important to say it on somebodies own terms. Thats my advice.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 07:17:23 AM »
Greetings, Munald.  I am new here too.  Less than a year.

Nobody said it right.  (He does that).

Anyway, here is my 2 cents worth,  :)  gleaned from the mistakes I made in the past several months.   :oops:

1)  Read the other threads and posts here for awhile.   Read the rules, too. (Don't control another person's character is Rule 1.  Probably Rule 2 as well.)

2)  If you enter a post, be real.  No Superman here.  Think about your character awhile so he/she/it will have some background and depth, developed bit by bit.  

3)  I say "bit by bit" because trying to write a book here is not going to attract much interest from others.  No one will "play".  Don't be controlling, but be sure to acknowledge the work others are putting into their posts and play off of what they write.  That's where I find the most fun.

4)  Be concise and VERY CLEAR in how you write.  Who and what you are referring to is critical.  And When.  Use few pronouns and lots of names, since the posts intermingle and get confusing.  Proofread...  Twice.  Good grammar is important, and spellcheck.  

`Nuff said.  Take your time, and have fun!
"Stop thinking, and Dream."  /  Selene Nightwalker

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 07:27:01 AM »
I am more comfortable as a player too, but that doesn't stop us from having ideas!

Don't know, GM can be fun, but I am not a center of attention type person so it is really not my cup of tea.

Welcome to the Citadel! May you have fun browsing around!

Great description Nobody!!

Another one is

<southern accent>
Role Playing is like a box of chocolates...

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »
Thank You Strolen.  Ill remember that one for a lifetime or two.

Welcome to the Citidel Munald.  Have fun and be smart, in no particular order.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:19:13 PM »
'Sup, Munald...
Since we're swapping stories, the first time I roleplayed was when I was 11. Me and my friend were introduced to good ol' roleplaying by an older kid named Uriah, and I've been at it ever since.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »
Welcome Munald.

After that explanation, Nobody is my hero.

If you have half as much fun as I do you'll have a ball.
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: I'm Munald, and i'm new here
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 06:12:15 AM »
Nobody is already my hero :D
Besides, he has got such an awesome avatar ;)

Welcome Munald! You have found the best page on the web! Congratulations.
(Did you know that Al Gore made this site?)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 07:07:02 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 10:22:09 AM »
Don't trust anything this man tells you I tell ya. Nuthing.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 04:35:20 PM »
Just slowly walk away and ignore him. You look into his eyes nd he will follow you forever.

Munald, greetings to the Del. Citadel that is.  I've been here for a year nearly myself. I have loved it and enjoyed it. It has definately helped me be a better player, a better GM, and a better writer with my work. This place is like the creative center of the RPG web... wel lmaybe not but it sounds good right?
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 03:59:13 PM »
Welcome.

Have a doughnut.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:32:45 PM »
Welcome! I'm also new to thise forum. I've only been RPGing for a year and a bit now - I'm usually the forlorn writer behind the stories. I enjoy playing out stories even more now!

www †  artcraft