llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Frozen Realms of Arexantrethia  (Read 6014 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Psalmanazar

• Reputed Native of Formosa
  • Apprentice
  • Awards Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Frozen Realms of Arexantrethia
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 09:56:02 PM »
The Boars of Thringr Blockhammar

Thringr Blockhammar was once a great Dwarf-Lord, ruler of an empire beneath the mountains.  He was beloved among his people as a fair and just ruler.  Unfortunately, he was overcome with a certain variety of madness in his later years, and declared himself a god.  In and of itself, this was nothing more than the hubris of a mortal ruler, mildly annoying, perhaps, or amusing to those gods with a sense of humour, but nothing that they hadn't seen before.  Thringr, though, was arrogant enough to raise up an army against the gods- he comissioned the greatest artisans in his realm to create great steeds for him and his army.  And this they did- great boars made of metal, each as big as an ox, with skin of iron and tusks of steel and fierce blue fire behind their eyes.  And, of course, they rode against the gods. 
But Thringr and his army were greeted not with fear, or even with anger, but with the laughter of a trickster god.  In an instant, the boars went mad, bucking their riders and galloping insanely around the battlefield.  The god, fortunately, was merciful, and allowed the army to escape with nothing more than bruised skin and bruised pride.  Thringr, though, had descended into madness and rejected the god's offer, seeking to challenge him to single combat. 
Other gods would have struck him down at this point, even if their patience hadn't been tried by his army.  But not this trickster god.  He accepted the challenge, and played that Thringr had actually bested and slain him.  As he mimed his death, he conveyed such horrible suffering that all thoughts of power vanished from Thringr's mind, and he fell to his knees in remorse.  Taking the form of the Allfather, the Trickster condemned the dwarf-lord to "The iciest pit of despair" for his crimes, and the grief-stricken Thringr gladly accepted his punishment as he was cast into Arexantrethia, little suspecting it was more trashcan than hell.  Pleased to have played such a marvelous joke on someone who the other gods would say deserved it for once, the trickster sent the boars to the icy realm, almost as an afterthought. 

Although Thringr is long dead, the Boars remain.  The internal fires which fueled their insane bucking melted their legs into the ice, and have long ago gone dormant.  But the Trickster's curse remains, and once some unfortunate living being gets within five feet or so of one of the hundreds of Boars which dot their particular lonely plane, it will shake off the centuries of frost that cover its metal skin and try desperately to break free of the ice and gore anything within range, its eyes glowing with a sinister blue flame.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 04:17:45 PM »
The Black Heart

This is actually more a building then a living creature, but is a part of the land none the less.

When a Shaman is chosen, usually for their musical talent and knowledge of ceremonies, they must enter The Black Heart, an enourmous structure shaped in the likeness of a beating black heart by arcane Wizardry long ago. In truth, it once belonged to the first, and only, Hate Golem, a creature that contained and thrived off of the undying wrath of millions until it was cast away into Arexantrethia. The only thing left is it's beating black heart, defying death itself. It is said that a shaman entering this building sees the very things that make existence tick, though how or why is unknown. Once evey millenia, it bleeds just enough blood for the golem to be brought back, it's permenant imprint on existence, a cry for help to any of arcane prowess who may be near... and foolish.
I hold all the cards but the joker;and he mocks me so.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 03:51:49 PM »
Corniallen, son of a Rouge

He is known to the Red Boar Tribe as "The Great Betrayer" though most others who know of him think he is quite wise... or was.

about two years before the Tribe left for Arexantrethia, they held a raid on a nearby town. A woman was lost in the fighting, and was presumed dead. However, she was merely taken prisoner. She was abnormaly peacful, and the pious town set her free. soon she fell in love with a man, whom the only knowledge held of him was that he was a rather shifty thief. As things turned out, he was an evil cultist, and after he tried to kill the child, the woman left, returning to her tribe. there she raised the child, and her return was much celebrated. about a year later, the band left for Arexantrethia. There the child grew into a young man. Still, he longed to trace back to his roots. and so he spyed on the shaman, and found the way home.

The shaman, told in a dream, followed him. Upon reaching the world of man, the adult, who had no name, as they trace names through bloodlines, saw a mage standing in the street. The mage sensed great skill, and took the child under his tutaledge.during said time both master and servant learned very much, and this is why mankind even knows of Arexantrethia. Much later the mage died. Corniallen tookhis name.

Meanwhile, the Shaman had finally found Corniallen. With one clever shot of a magical dart, he was dead. The shaman then quickly escaped. It is because of Corniallen the Great Betrayer that we know what we do of Arexantrethia

Just thought i should include this.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 08:14:16 PM »
Wow. I'm back. go figure, huh?
   The Xodelian (so named after it's host) is an amorphus mass of ice and half-frozen slush. These creatures are unique, as they were first created here. (and are the only creatures to hold this title.) When the first shaman's son died, his body was swallowed up by the ice. About one year later, the ice that made his tomb somehow became aware of its own existance when the shaman made a faulty attempt to bring his son back. This creature reproduced with itself and the ice around it, making twenty large copies and many smaller ones of itself within a matter of seconds. Like most so called "undead" creatures, it hates life and is vengeful. It, with the Shaman's son's body still inside and all of the minions it had made, Slid off into the distance before anyone had time to react. It is speculated that it resides now within the black heart, and is one the challanges that await a fledgling Shaman.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 09:02:39 PM by Bloodredblade »

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 11:22:04 PM »
Wow, no new posts this whole time? Shouldn't be surprised, the idea was OK, but I didn't take it any further. Ah well, back to the grind.

So what about a building that was man-made that the gods took from the face of the earth because it was being used for cult experiments and gained a mind of it's own? It could be a wandering tower, forever cursed to roam the icy wastes. If one entered this tower, it could shut the door and all of the windows, so that the person would have to reach the top to escape. As a Rather angry demon house that served as an experimental place, it could be fairly hellish inside, with living, moaning heads on pikes and the like inside. Think Doom. I'm just wondering if that would be a good idea, and I just, yet again, thought it up on the fly, but I intend to later flesh it out. Thanks for all of your help everyone!

EDIT:Man, that's a small bit of information up there, huh? I think i'll flesh it out now...

Appearence: on the outside it almost appears to be a normal tower, but has an ominous aura, possibly an aura of fear or what have you, within 100 feet of it. It has five floors, and the top is crenulated. The bottom has four feet, similar to those of a large sphinx if the flesh upon them was removed.
On the inside first floor, as on all of the above floors, it is a perfect circle with one window, which is opposite the door. The window is stained glass and if viewed from the outside appears too be a plain red stained glass window. From the inside, however, it depicts various scenes of hellish carnage and is infact sickening to look upon to all but the most hardened of warriors, who will still turn their heads away in disgust. All of the floors inner walls are covered in sinewy, pulsating flesh, vains, and organs.

Floor 1: The room is circular, and besides the above description has only three points of interest. The stairs, a table, and a picture on the right wall. Upon the table is a book bound in flesh, and is subsequently impossible to open. It holds upon it a geas spell that causes any who try to open it to do so continually while the demon bound within the book slowly devours their soul. Luckily it is a very weak geas spell, and a remove curse affect of any sort will dispel it immediatly, much to the dissatisfaction of the monster within, a lesser demon of some sort that then attempts to rip open the book and attack the party. The picture on the wall is of one of the pc's parents, which could breed infinite plot hooks. (My dad was an evil cultist? So that's why my teddy bear did that...) The stairs of course lead up to the next floor, and therefor will not be mentioned in the next floors.

Floor 2: This room appears empty compared to the last one, and is in fact void of any furniture or objects of any sort, except for the dust on the floor. Of course, that is too good to be true. The dust  is in fact a lethal sort of "contact acid," which becomes acid under any sort of pressure, like being walked on, but it is only enough to melt through the shoes or armor of a person, and has no effect on living flesh. It burns through the ground as well however, an in between the cieling of floor 1 and the floor of floor 2 is a large amount of contact poison. Fancy that.

The rest is coming soon!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:00:32 PM by Bloodredblade »