llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Frozen Realms of Arexantrethia  (Read 5998 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
The Frozen Realms of Arexantrethia
« on: October 18, 2005, 06:21:41 PM »
Far beyond the reach of the other planes lies the Frozen and blood encrusted Realms of Arexantrethia. Originally intended as the god's "landfill" it was founded by people on accident. A barbarian Shaman entered the world when toying with his magic, and soon the entire tribe had moved to that world, where new creatures and plants were in supreme supply. Bieng the landfill that it is though, some of the most sinister, evil, and diabolical creatures ever lurk in this enviorment.

Any Ideas?
I hold all the cards but the joker;and he mocks me so.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
Ummm...
Well.

This is very short, very undetailed.
First: I'm not a big fan of planes, so you'll have to forgive me if some of my anti-plane bias slips through. Planes, to me, just ruin the mythicalness of a good setting, and smack strongly of D&D. Aaaanyway...

What is Arexantrethia like? You haven't described it at all, besides being frozen, and the fact that it is a "landfill"... What does that mean, anyway?

What kind of things live in Arexantrethia?

What are the barbarians like who live there?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 07:13:17 PM »
Thank you very much, I understand exactly what you mean about the planes, too. perhaps a world then? It is as I said, frozen, and otherwise much like earth. The Barbarians would have to cut through or crush the ice to get any water, though this would be fairly easy for a people who survive in the same way as the Barbarians do. By being a landfill, I mean all the creation that didn't quite "work out." The world, being inhabited mainly by the descendants of a single tribe of barbarians, is largely unexplored. The Barbarians are mainly a slight variation of regular, Northern Barbarians (they lived in a winter area previously) except that they have adapted to even more trials. they have extremely tough skin, and both men and woman are equal in status, as is required simply to survive. On another note, the Shaman was half crazy, and the tribe would follow him to the ends of the earth, remaining there even after his death. As for the creatures, this is the main idea i wanted help with. Anything that doesn't make sense or just doesn't work would probably be the norm. I am still thinking on that one. Thank you very, very much for your support, as it is such constructive criticism that i get my ideas from, and judge them by. I hope this answers as many of your questions as i can answer right now.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:24:05 PM »
:idea: elves and dwarfs were supposed to be there before humans, right? so maybe some creatures of ancient, ancient Dwarven or Elvish legend were put here. The gods stopped using it right when they decided to create humans, and the process was more developed, so they could have been some really nasty creatures that humans completely missed out on.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:29:26 PM »
I'm just saying I'm not a fan of planes. I don't know what you mean by "world"...

More questions:

What you first need to figure out is a general topography of the world. Is it one huge flat ice-sheet? Or are there mountains and pillars and whorls of ice? Or perhaps it has landforms like our world except modeled in ice? (Forests of ice-trees, vast ice-plains, seas of supercold slush...)

Is it just a giant floating island of ice in the midst of a void? Or is it a planet? Or simply an endless iceworld?

Are there warmer and colder areas in this world? If all the land is frozen, where do plants grow? Where do people live?

What is the inclement weather like? What does the sky look like? Are there seasons?
What kind of stuff is "leftover" from creation?

I don't know what "Northern Barbarians" are. Describe their culture, how they behave, what they believe. Is the First Shaman a hero? A reviled figure? What is their folklore?
How do they survive in the ice world? What do they eat? Are they hunter-gatherers? How can they farm in an ice-world?

The monsters of this world would be adapted to the ice, most likely. So start with animals in our world which are arctic survivors- what traits do they have? What make them successful? Conversely, what characteristics might creatures of this world have which earth animals don't have (giant insects which generate their own warm steam clouds? internal fires?)?

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:06:09 PM »
As appealing as the "ice trees" idea is to me, i have to take into mind the fact that this is a dump. It was not meant to be pretty or habitable, which is what makes the barbarians so unique. So, in my opinion, it is probably an "endless pocket void." It is always cold because the gods didn't want to have to deal with there mistakes, so they could throw things in here hoping they would die, but some things just don't die. The sky, if it could be called a sky, is empty and black. Plants that were strange or evil enough to get here would probably die, though there are a few exceptions. There are no seasons. By "left over from creation, i mean this: picture, if you will, that you are new to the whole diety business. You are very liable to mess up. Say you make something to close in power to yourself. If you can't stop it, you're going to try to put it somewhere where it can't do any harm. Northern barbarians are generally the same in most ways as regular barbarians, but are very renowned for being tougher, and much more resistant to cold. I was just explaining how they adapted to the cold. Their beliefs only differ in that as a survival method they belive in mass reproduction. (Very few healing herbs.) Their only known story of folklore is an epic poem about a dragon an his wife giving birth to their entire population. This they firmly believe in. They eat mostly meat, and are hunter gatherers. A creature similar to Caribou (but far smarter in certain areas.) The shaman is reviled by all who know of him, including the gods (he jeapordizes their plans) with the exception of the barbarians, who practically worship him. As for your ideas for the animals, i will definitely look into that. thanks again.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 08:55:49 PM »
Here's my problem with your (thus-far) description of the barbarians:

They are the SOLE HUMAN INHABITANTS of this world. I expect something more in the way of fleshing them out- these are human beings with beliefs and ways of life. What do they wear, what do they eat, how do they live? Who are their heroes, legends, villains, gods, demons? What do they think of this world which they live in?
And don't repeat to me "they are just like normal barbarians". That means nothing to me- there are no "normal" barbarians. In our world, Greek hoplites could be considered barbarians, since they lack many of our cultural elements and are technologically outmoded. And since there are no typical barbarians, you are going to have to expand on these people.

Sorry if I come across as harsh, I'm seriously trying to help, really. ;)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
I know I'm kind of harping on these barbarians, but...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 09:12:02 PM »
What might help you with fleshing out these barbarians is some kind of framework:

Cultural Name
Whatever it is they call themselves, or how they are generally known.

Appearance/Phenotype
Stereotypical appearance, what their general skin tone is (Are they whiteys? Are they swarthy? Black-skinned? Hell, they could be green for all I know), hair color and texture, eye color... What you want to give is a stereotype, for instance, all Norwegians are tall, pale, and have straight, blonde hair; or all Asians are short, with straight, shiny black hair, and epicanthic-fold eyes. What is the stereotype of these people?

Dress, Fashion, Style
What do they wear? Usual clothing (filthy furs?), dressy clothing (for parties and mead-slings; some kind of woolen robe, or died tunic?), weather clothes (heavier furs, I suspect, to keep out flying ice or whatever. ;) ). Do they decorate their bodies? Tattooes? Jewelry, hair styles? The manner in which they outfit themselves for given situations. This may or may not include armor and armaments, depending on whether or not you want some section for warfare and how they fight.

Food
Music

Society
How is their society organized? Clans? Small tribes? Wandering family units? Or perhaps as a single kingdom? Is it patriarchal, or ruled democratically? Does lineage pass through the mother? How are families constructed? What is their view of the social order? How about slavery? Et cetera et cetera...

Spirituality, Philosophy, and Worldview
What is their view of the supernatural? Are they shamanists (this is suggested by the fact that they have shamans ;) )? Are they polytheists or henotheists? Or perhaps they believe in only one god? Where do they think they go when they die? What do they think is metaphysically important? What do they think their world is like (are they right or wrong?)?

Naming Conventions
How do they name themselves? Do they have last names? Or patronymics (Kortar Valzor-Son)? Or simple word-names (Leaping Deer, Ice-Bear)? Why do they name themselves this way?

And, of course, whatever else you think is important to say about them...

I'm sorry, I'm really being a prig, aren't I? :P

Offline Wogden

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 09:23:42 PM »
Prig? No sir! This is fascinating! Please, continue to pass on your wisdom! *bows deeply* :D
There is very, very good reason why I believe Life to be a gummy bear, but the exact wording of it escapes me at present. It was something about sugar, anyway.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 09:59:12 PM »
Well, y'know, I've said my piece.

For now. :)

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 06:52:29 AM »
Wow...

This is all really helpful. I thought this up on the fly, and didn't take a lot of time to do, oddly enough, the part I enjoy the most. (fleshing out races is awesome.)

Now let me think...

They were originally, and still are the Red Boar tribe. this may seem odd to any who do not know their past history, as there are no boars on Arexantrethia.

As an appearence, they are gennerally tall, muscular, and fair in appearence. The cold requires them to have light pigmantatations to adapt. So in retrospect, very much like Norwiegens.

Normal clothes would be Heavy Furs, and a robe for the Shaman (enchanted to grant the same protection.) They go casual to celebrations as far as clothes go, but parties are special because it is the only day that lower class people can wear jewlery of any sort. Often the shells of an ugly and semi-sentient race known only in the barbarian tounge as "Shell Creatures" are used as jewlery.

For food they live on a staple of That small, smart caribou type creature I mentioned earlier, known to them as "new caribou" not surprisingly enough.

Their music consists mainly of drums, though occasionally a good reed flute player is born into the tribe. (They are usually the next shaman.) It can be very fast paced (think war drums) or very slow.

Their society is a sort of a primitive monarchy, with one leading ruler (king) his wife (queen) and the shaman, who in historical stance could be compared to their equivilant of a pope. Families are one man, one woman, and alot of kids. remember, they want as many people to be born as possible. They are all fine with the social order, and no rebels have been born, not yet at least. Lineage does pass through the mother.

They are Shamanists, who believe in earth or spirit gods. This is fine with the gods of course, worship is worship. They believe in an afterlife, and they believe also that it is very, very warm. They believe that their world is like the one they came from orriginally, only with ice. This is wrong, as the world they are in now is endless.

They have patronymics, but no first names, only last names. So it might just be Valzor son.

They do not fight eachother, but they do hold rituallistic contests of strength on special days. Their armor is all custom made, ussually from things that they have killed. As whatever that may be had to adapt  to the icy world, you can imagine no warmth would be lost.

I cannot stress how thankful I am for your questions. :D

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
The point of all our questions is to get you to do two things.
1) The first is to actually think about all the various aspects of the tribe or world and how they interconnect.
2) The second is to express everything you "know of" (or "how you see the") the tribe or world. If you don't write it down, it is not useful to anyone else.

And in the process of writing it down, you "formally" get it set in your own head. You will see the inconsistencies or "what does not make sense" when you write it down. Once it is organized in your own head, you can do more with it.

Teaching others about your setting will improves your own knowledge of it. For example: to advance at a certain level, Martial artists are required to teach other lesser students. Not only does this increase the number of students, it teaches the instructor. The instructor hones their abilities, perfects those basic moves, and learns about their own art, in the act of teaching others. In the act of teaching others about your world, a GM consciously learns the pieces of the world that they know and have been "taking for granted". The gamer learns clearer ways to frame/phrase the pieces. In addition, the gamer become aware of what they are doing and what they can do to improve their gamecraft. Better player gamecraft leads to better games.

Okay. Now that I am getting off the soap box. You can look to see all the various details about the tribes, the people in the region, and the world as a whole. Expand on what you have done. Duplicate the same process for every "peoples" in the region. As you put together the pieces, you can eventually cover the entire setting for the game. This bottom up approach, as long as you are careful and make sure everything has Consistancy, Connection, and bits of Chrome, you will be okay. (Cycle, Conflict, Control, and Continuity are things you want to emphasize during the process when you can.)

This process is taken to a greater extreme in World Building 102, an article on the site. It takes a "top down" approach where you consciously make the "big picture" decisions and describe down from there. I know this is large. It reads like a text book. Sorry, but it is the only way to cover all the material people need.
http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1606.0

Now this is not a "holy tome". Use what you can and need. Then keep going.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
Interesting... So they all have their father's name? To me, this would mean that they strongly value the family line (clans). They have a family name which they've had for generations- "I am Thixalg, son of Thixalg the Red, grandson of Thixalg, great-grandson of the glorious Thixalg the Great..." They probably distinguish various members of their father-line through titles and achievements ("Thixalg Who Slew the Clacker", "Thixalg the White", "Thixalg Scarface the Fourth")...

Sorry, I don't mean to horn in. That's just what it suggests to me. ;)

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
Actually, exactaly what i was thinking.

Barbarians like these would probably be ranked in status and socially by their deeds. At first I thought "Man... Mr. Jones, son of Mr. Jones, son of Mr. Jones, ect." but when you plug in the deed idea, it actually makes sense. especially for a people who work so close together for everything.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 08:44:44 PM »
and unless you pulled Thixalg from something, I think I'll make him a barbarian. Has a nice ring to it.

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »
Quote from: CaptainPenguin
The monsters of this world would be adapted to the ice, most likely. So start with animals in our world which are arctic survivors- what traits do they have? What make them successful? Conversely, what characteristics might creatures of this world have which earth animals don't have (giant insects which generate their own warm steam clouds? internal fires?)?

I have done some thinking on this, and have come to a few conclusions. Arctic animals have fur or blubber. So here are some basic creature ideas which i hope to flesh out in time.

Arctic Werewolf: There are arctic wolves, so why not arctic werewolfs? These would have thick pelts, I can imagine they would make clothes for the greatest of the barbarian tribesmen. They are different, besides this, in a few ways. They always have blue eyes, and never become human again once bitten. This was the mistake made, and why they are here.

Chameleon Blood Serpents: They are called such not for an ability to change color, but to forcefully change their core temperature. They are related to some long extinct ( and very, very big) pit viper. They are all white, with an exception of rare black markings around the nose.

Great white bear: Put here because it was like a polar bear, only much more aggressive and much, much bigger.

Snow Illitheds: Not at all like their relatives with a similar name, these look like giant snow crabs with hyped up psionics and telapathy. Three guesses why they are here.

Hopefully more to come very soon. Hopefully the next addition of Arexantrethian creatures will be much larger.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 02:16:07 PM by Bloodredblade »

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Here comes CP again...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »
Oh, man, I am all about weird monsters...

Tixirt
The Tixirt is roughly like a grasshopper in body shape, with 7 pairs of legs along the sides of it's body and a large front pair of lobster-like snapping claws. Rather than a head, the Tixirt has a huge maw with spinning sets of teeth, like a grinder, into which it constantly funnels chunks of ice and great quantities of snow (the Tixirt can be tracked quite easily by the giant runnels it leaves in the snow). It's entire body is covered in exoskeletal plates, each of which have their own separate mass of twitching muscle fibers- thus, the outer integument of a Tixirt seems constantly in nervous motion.
Marching across the frozen wilderness, the Tixirt is also called the Ice Eater for the manner in which it devours huge quantities of ice. The purpose of this behavior is to keep the Tixirt warm- within the creature's body, chemical processes heat the ice in a chain reaction which produces steam- this engenders the monster's second name, the Steam Crawler, for it's movement is constantly accompanied by a massive cloud of steam which runs of the beast's plates in runnels and streams.
The Tixirt derives nourishment simply from devouring whatever falls into it's path, be it other beasts, humans, or whatever material there is that it can digest.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »
Some ideas

redneck or hill-billy ice and snow elementals. I mean these were the guys too dumb to be allowed to stay in creation. Throw in some half frozen slush elementals and you could have a nice party.

lethargic or passive fire elementals. I mean like Woody Allen meets the human torch, or Walter Mitty, Flame Lord.

Earth elementals that constantly operate outside of their bounds. They try to obstruct wind, trap water, and make a real nuisance of themselves. Kinda like fireants, but way bigger.

Mutant hybrids, and I mean the wierd crap like half men/half peacocks. This is the stuff that got thrown away. Think of the worst of the werecritters seen on an anthro or furry site mixed with the oddity of an AOL gamer chat. Wereferrets, otter people, half dog half cat, nothing is sacred. The Platypus should be a mythical creature on par with a unicorn.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 10:10:04 AM »
1) If you want to see a little bit about how to live in arctic environments for your peoples....
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35005#35005

And we have a nice little piece on Ice Ages. This is only partially applicable to you and yours, but it is interesting ( http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1014.0) and the winter adventures thread might also be useful for you ( http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1026.0 )

2) Why don't you give us a bit more about your peoples and the kind of adventures you want to run in this setting (so we can plug away at those).

Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play! Read! Post! Play!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »
A lifeform for you:  
Blue Fires Ethereal/ Arctic
These are small (4" or 10cms) balls of what appears to be glowing blue fire. These ball float through the air at a better than walking pace. They are somewhat intangible; they can slowly force their way through solid objects. Their appearance of rolling blue fire in a small balls allows them to give off light with no heat. In fact, they actually make the world around them colder (as they absorb ambient heat to "feed" themselves). Any place they touch is made icey cold, leaving ice and snow (depending on conditions) in its path.

The Dancing Lights of the Ice Wind (as they are sometimes known) can actually entrance those who look at them long enough. (Actually they can effect the emotions of most lifeforms who look at them long enough).  

Blue Fires will often "strike at" living things by flying into them, absorbing their body heat... chilling them to the bone. The average human can take five or so attacks. However many times they will "cultivate" living things, helping them so they can absorb the heat they generate. Causing people to "get together" makes extra heat that they can absorb for example. They will make humans careless so they can freely absorb heat and the humans will not care while they do it. Some more intelligent and tame ones will make light for caves and the Humans inside the cave somewhat peaceful, if exchange for extra heat from its fire.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Glacier Fins Transfered
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 10:41:56 AM »
Glacier Fins Fauna/Tundra

The shark is the most efficient hunters in the realms. This has empowered the Shark Spirit, to become the Beast Hunting Spirit. This powerful spirit has bound elementals of various kinds and places with a shark imprint. These bound spirits spawn new shark races, land sharks, sand sharks, sky sharks, and as for here, ice sharks.

Glacier Fins are one of the most fearsome predator on the ice.

These creatures live in the deep thick ice of glaciers, moving through it like a shark moves through water. They are a "medium" size shark (yellow or greyfin). Their pointed noise is as hard as bone. It vibrates (and even projects a sonic vibration), shattering the ice. They tunnel through the ice and snow as if it was water, leaving soft powdery ice behind them (think shaved ice and they swim through it). They move through the surface of the ice shelf, their fin sticking out, because near the surface they are faster. That and the subtle vibration or humm that heralds their appearance causes instant fear in every ice dweller.

Glacier Fins have superior senses. They can smell things, even through the ice, at hundreds of yards/ meters. They can sense heat and motion almost anywhere upon their ice. (They also possess an ice sonar that allows them to know where they are in the ice and to follow other ice trails).

Their bite is fearsome and can cut a man in half. However, their ability to stun targets at short range with a thunderous "PAH!" allows them to attack with leisurely savagry. The Fin will sometimes crack ice or cause avalanches with its PAH! so it can trap more prey efficiently (swiming through the snow to eat things trapped there).

Note: Walking on powdered ice is dangerous, as one will often fall deeply into it, becoming stuck. It becomes a hazard on the ice. Of course, if the fin is anywhere nearby, it will simply swim up its existing tunnel and take a snack of the hapless victim.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Bloodredblade

• Rocker extrodanaire
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 07:16:39 PM »
I'm back too.

Here is a creature that was made when the gods were smart enough to make only one, but dumb enough to make it anyway.

The oracle of madness: An old crone so emaciated it is said that one can see through her. She does not need to eat or sleep, and sits in the very center of Arexantrethia, or whatever she thinks is the center at any given moment. (It's endless, so there is none.) Often she will give any who find her a quest to find some random trinket that she thinks up on a whim. If a person is crafty, they can complete said quest. Then the crone will begrudgingly give up some advice, though you have to be very charismatic for it to be good, true advice, and it is always cryptic. It is rumored that once every  thousand years, she will grant one person a grand piece of future advice, perhaps even the meaning of life, free of cost. She is revered by the barbarians as an ancient holy woman, though most others who know of her think her to be crazy.

Offline Psalmanazar

• Reputed Native of Formosa
  • Apprentice
  • Awards Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »
Lord Gukilakip

One of the things thrown here which didn't survive.

Lord Gukilakip is a vast skeleton of...something... its ribs extend hundreds of feet into the air, its backbone is several miles long.  In life, it should have been one of the most formidable creatures in existence, its power rivaling that of the gods.  Unfortunately, such great power requires even greater power to fuel it, and the creature's apatite was truly unfathomable.  It began to lay waste to its entire world, devouring everything it could find.   Eventually, the god who created it cast it into the wastes of Arexantrethia, where it died, too weakened from starvation to support its enormous weight.
Today, its flesh long since consumed by the inhabitants of the realm, Lord Gukilakip's skeleton has become a site of pilgrimage for the Red Boar Tribe's Shamans.  Generations have marked the inside of its cathedral-sized skull with palm-prints and elaborate paintings signifying spells and visions.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
The Frozan
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 01:44:45 AM »
Intelligent/Seas and rivers

The Frozan are revered creatures,perhaps the only exiles in Arexantrethia truly deserving of existence. If they are guilty of any crime,it is only of being too eager when it came to reaching out a compassionate hand offering aid,to the less fortunate creatures of creation.

Popular legend among the tribes of Arthenzia has it that that they arose into existence long ago,in the elmental relam inhabited by the Ice Giants,when the most loved of them by the name of  Ymir,was slain and cast into the seas by one envious of him. Famed for his kindness and compassion towards all who knew him,puny mortals and immortal elementals alike,Ymir was unfortunate enough to attract the envy of Thogrash,another Ice giant of prodigious strength who had grown bitter with the love and popularity that all showered upon Ymir. So it was that he invited Ymir to meet him upon a great polar ice cap one day,pleading that he had a dire problem which required Ymir's great wisdom to resolve. Touched by the seeming severity of Thogrash's situation,Ymir arrived at the suggested location as he had promised,much concerned for the wellfare fare of Thogrash.

There,Thogrash attacked him with a deadly savagery that was truly fearsome to behold. Alarmed and horrified beyond measure by the deceit of Thogrash,Ymir fought desperately to save himself. Long did the ice cap resound with the might blows the two hulking titans rained on each other with deadly precision. But alas,despite his frantic will to survive,Ymir was no match for the awesome power of Thogrash. And with one final mighty blow to the other's head,Thogrash smashed open the huge skull of Ymir and gathering the still corpse of Ymir into his powerful arms,hurled it into the sea that churned below.  

But once news of his death became known,the world wept bitterly for one that had tried his utmost to be friend to all,prompting the gods to see to it that something of Ymir's compassion and wisdom remained even in death. And through their divine grace and power,the fallen bones of Ymir were transformed into the Frozan.

It was a decision that they would soon come to regret. Refusing to stay put in the elemental relam of Ice as the Gods had assumed they would,the Frozan descended to the mortal relam,eager to escape the wrath of Thogrash who yet blazed with the desire to destroy anything that even remotely hinted at Ymir's former existence. At first,the Gods were content to let them settle in the world of men,deeming the children of gentle Ymir to be no threat to their reign in any way. But there are more way of eroding the power of the Gods than one. The Frozan,filled with  the innocence and goodwill of their father,simply did not understand that there were certain kinds of help far too profound and dangerous  to be ever offered to the race of men. When droves of self-professed prophets returned from frozen wastes of the extreme North,insisting that a mysterious race of elder beings had gifted them with secerts of creation and powerful abilites that would free men forever from dependence on the whims of the Gods and deliver to them the promise of true freedom,they realized that in allowing the Frozan to seek refuge in the mortal plane,they had sowed the seeds of their own downfall. Desperate to rectify this foolish blunder,the Gods lost no time in banishing the children of Ymir to Arthenzia.

A placid race slow to anger,the Frozan would strongly remind one of giant crocodiles if crocodiles stood upright,reaching an impressive height of twelve feet, and were covered in thick shaggy white fur. Their nature too,is far from crocodilian. The large  and pointed yellow teeth protuding in a sniggled arrangement from their long jaws are for catching hold of the salmon that are the staple of their diet,contrary to what one unfamiliar with the legends of these gentle folk might think, and the large brown eyes located on either side of the heads are  filled with gentle wisdom and compassion,rather than the crocodile's ruthless cunning and hunger.

Solitary wanderers by nature,the Frozan spend most of their lives following the great salmon shoals on their great migration from the spawning grounds of the seas all the way to the lakes and rivers where the fish will choose to make their new homes and vice versa,when the current generation of salmon leg it all the way back tot he seas to begin the spawning process anew. Along the way on these great treks,the Frozan will help any mortal they comes across that is in dire need of aid. Doing its best to provide the mortal with all the assistance he needs,the only thing the Frozan will ask for in return is a large fish or two to staunch its hunger. And if the mortal in unable to meet even that meager form of payment,the Frozan will tell him to think nothing before slipping back into the waters to continue its long journey. The Frozan are also well known in the myths of Urania for imparting their apparently limitless knowledge and wisdom of  the elements to the most famous sages to ever appear in the old sagas and tales. However,this is a service they only render the pure of heart and their knowledge is such,that when an evil man reaches for it at a time when he needs it most,he finds himself vainly grasping at nothing.  

The Frozan are sexless. When one finds itself overwhelmed with the periodic urge to spawn a new one of its kind,it sprays a large peice of ice with a peculiar pungent,green liquid that is secreated by a pair of glands located  in the anal region. Then it wanders off about its usual business. Moments later,the ice that has been sprayed thus,is miraculously transformed into a fully grown Frozan equipped with all the skills it needs in order to survive. And thus do the Forzan spring forth from the ice.

It is also where they return in death. When a Frozan dies,either by violence or old age,the latter a bane to which not even they are immune,their corpses revert back to the ice birthed them. This intimate connection of their to the ice,has often led many philosophers to wander if that could explain why the Frozan possess the powers of control over that particular element like the ancient tales say they do.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
The Harkods
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »
Insectoid beings resembling nothing so much as overgrown roaches that stand upright at a total height of five feet,they are marooned in Arexthenzia for an excellent reason.

Once the most favoured children of their creator,the Insect God Maritha,they were endowed with the gift of fecundity,and their numbers swelled to vast proportions, dwarfing the combined populations of all the rest of Maritha's children. And for a golden period, their civilization waxed under the blessings of their God, with the priests of the Harkod erecting vast, mammoth pyramids in honor of Maritha. But as their population continued to to riset ever further unpward, their resources soon begun to be depleted to dangerous levels. Soon, the Harkods found themselves tottering on the edge of starvation. Desperate, they finally resorted to making a dark, unholy pact with Uloras, the vile Spider Demon and arch foe of Maritha. If they aided him in his upcoming battle with their creator, the other children of Maritha would be enslaved and made the abject live stock of the Harkods. never again would  they grow hungry, not when they had the ripe,sweet flesh of their kindred to feast on..

But this foul scheme never came to pass. Defeated by the very cousins whom they had hoped to reduce to the contemptible level of food animals,they were brought crushed and humbled, to face the wrath of their father. And wrathful indeed was Maritha. Maddened with rage by the vicious ingratitude of his once favourite children, the Insect God condemned the Harkods to an eternal exile in the frozen land of Arexthenzia from which there could be no hope of return. But his vengeance and their punishment did not end there.

The very longing for an endless source of fresh meat to devour that prompted their betrayal,would now be their curse and possible undoing. For now,the Harkod would hunger for the flesh of their own kind above all other flesh. Parents would not hesitate to devour their spawn and their offspring if they survived the cannibalistic hunger for their parents,would one day attempt to return the favour if they were to ever encounter their begetters again. 

And thus do the Harkods now wander the frozen wastes of Arexthenzia as lone scavengers,bereft of even the rudiments of civilization,desperately hungering for the opportunity to sink their greedy maws into the flesh of their own kindred. A most pathetic race indeed.

A favorite pastime among the tribes of the barbarians of Arethnezia is to capture two Harokds and throw them together into a crude ring where the insectoids loose no time in eating each other alive,much to the excitement of their audience who make many wagers on the outcome.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:58:06 PM by Maggot »
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©