llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: TES III: Morrowind-MOD (PC RP-game)  (Read 5275 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
TES III: Morrowind-MOD (PC RP-game)
« on: September 30, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
Well, this is my first try here, so please don't be too strict. ;)

This MOD is a plugin-file for the pc-game "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind".

If you don't know this game, here's a short description:
Morrowind is a singleplayer-RPG. It begins with a dream and your awakening. You don't know where you are, you only know your name. You are brought to the small village Seyda Neen where you get your instructions and the name of a person you should visit. Now you're on your own...
If you find the person, you can start the main-plot (you should do that :wink: ), but there are hundreds of quests waiting for you.

But well, always doing the same tasks is boring after some month, and that's what these mods are for: bringing a new story, new quests and places into the game.

My MOD is called "Seanan's Spell" and I made up the story very roughly.

A short summary:
In the small magician universe named Yardua the women reign. Every woman who reigns the small municipality has to bear one girl who will take her place when her time of reign is over. But suddenly everything was in disorder - the Mistress bore two girls at the same time: The twins Seanan and Chaera. Now the girls had to pass some examinations. The one who would be better would become the new Mistress. Chaera won and Seanan was angry. Within the years till her sister wasn't Mistress she pretended to accept her fate. But when their mother had gone, she changed. Seanan often was away and nobody knew, where she had gone. One day she came back with hords of beasts and servants, who killed the servants and guards of Yardua and forced the municipality to flee. Chaera though wasn't stupid, she had built a new place to hide where Seanan would never find them. After a while she left the hiding place, scribbled a short note and let it fly. Since then the people of Yardua hide in the tightness of the cave and wait for somebody to help them...

For the player the story starts with finding the note and searching the transporter-stone, which will take him right into the cave where he will be told what had happened. And he has to choose, if he wants to
help or not. Well, if he won't, he wouldn't have started to play the MOD... :wink: )

Those things are - nearly - ready made (the transporter-stone, the notes, the places, the NPCs, some dialogues etc.). My problem is: I have no ideas what quests the player could do. I just brought in some easy riddles, but there has to be much more. But what??

There's a big fight against Seanan and her servants in the end, and a part of the quests is the search for her residence. I want to bring in quests where you have to think, to combine, or only to know, to be creative and and and... I want easy and hard tasks but I'm very uncreative myself. :(

The "Elder Scrolls Construction Set" (with which I'm working) offers many possibilities, almost everything is possible with the scripts. It's hard to describe how everything works, but just believe me. :wink:

Here are some screenshots of the Construction Set. They show small parts of my work. The pink arrows show, that doors are activated. Some things have changed, because I didn't like them as they were before. I'll take some new screenshots soon.

I'd be very happy if anyone would share ideas with me. :) And as I told before: almost everything is possible, because I can create new items with special functions, like the transporter-stone and things like that. So please tell me every of your ideas - I'll try to find a way to convert them (if I like them :wink: ).

Greetings,
Caitriona

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:26:14 AM »
I found this looking for something else... it may or may not be useful for you.  

http://www.gamingw.net/articles/570
Hello all game-builders, I know you don’t wanna read an intro so here I go:

The technical aspects of this article apply to RM2K, but mostly the design concepts apply everywhere.

1) Consistency is everything!

A basic and essential principal to game design is consistency. Graphics, Music, Dialogue, Style etc. it applies to everything. If you're graphics style doesn’t match (i.e. the tonality and texture of grass doesn’t match in the forest with that of a town) then there's a visual problem the player will pick up on. If your window frames in a CMS differ majorly that that of your system format, then there's a problem. If a characters dialogue doesn’t stay consistent (unless there’s a plot related aspect that allows it to change) there's a problem. Every great game out always maintains a good style/theme consistency. But where to draw the line? Keep it within design, when it comes to core gameplay as long as it's fun, who gives a care?

2) Don't be afraid to be (a little) cliché

What I mean by this is I know you may hear don't use swords use sabres! Don’t use potions use food! Basically trying to stay away from FF clones right? but, sometimes a player will (particularly one playing RM2K made games) rely on old traditions to help them through game, if you throw 20 new concepts and options (will discuss later) at them you get what is I call an "overload" factor going(again will discuss later). One example being they'll open three chests and get stuff like "a ham hock", "an eagle feather", and "a red candle". Unless they are given good descriptions or at least a hint to their use quickly they may get confused. As well they may not want to check their inventory everytime they get a new item (especially if you put a lot of "chests" in your games). You can solve this using custom glyphs, references to well-known games or slight modifications of original names. Then again is there really anything wrong with "Potion-restores 50 HP"? As soon as people get it, they know what it is, and move on playing more entertaining parts of the game instead of organizing their inventory.

3) Be original

I'm aware of the slight contradiction but who said game making was simple? By which I mean, don't put in the same concepts as every other game out there. Avoid "Ultima" as the "Best" spell, Fire 1, 2, 3 nuff' said, you have a lot of flexibility with the English language so use it! Who said it has to be a real word? If your trying to make an original name for a fire-type spell just take a neat sounding word and adjust it a bit so it's catchy and original. Example:

Fire -> Inferno -> Infernis

It still sounds fire-like right? A good tip is whenever you’re faced with something that sounds typical. Never hesitate to reconsider it, "should I throw something new in the mix? Or should I refer to step 2?" Again that’s all part of good game making, knowing when to draw the line.

4) The Great "Chest" Quest

This is one thing I always found neat with RPGs, whenever you came upon a "chest" there was always that great "What could be inside?" feeling you got, the excitement, the anticipation, the great let-down when you found out it was a lousy potion, again look back to #2, do you want them to feel excited when they open it?, when they read the description in the Menu, or when they use it in battle only to find that "Spiritual potion of life" restores 50 HP and 20 MP. Back on topic there was always a really cool feeling when you found something really neat and useful like a new spell or a piece of equipment that was a good step up from what you had. So again this is a department where you the player must make a choice:

Many "chests": Lots of excitement but the let-downs of bad, useless, common items can be frustrating and annoying, again look back at #2

Few "chests": Depending on what you put in them (should be good items) your going to either get a lot of excitement from the player, or just disappointment. As well, a good strong "chest" technique is to put only certain items in "chests" like useful equipment and leave the crappy items to monster drops.

Unique "chests": If you've played Lufia 2 or FFMQ you'll know what I mean. There were two kinds of chests in each one, one with a good item and one that typically held semi-useful items like potions. There was always great anticipation when walking up to a rare chest because you "knew" you were going to get something good.
As well FFVII had a similar system while walking you would know what you could spare missing and what you couldn't, if you saw a potion lying on the top of a peak on Mt. Nibelheim. You knew you could keep walking and come back later if you felt like it cause it wasn't essential, but if it was a materia orb you scampered up there giving any enemy that stood in your way pure hell.

Hidden "chests: This involves having a few "chests" lying around but mostly hiding the items in events that look like chips on the map. This is not a bad idea, but the player may get bored and stop looking, thereby offsetting your balance a bit. The player should know that if they decide to miss a chest the game will become slightly harder, if the game becomes hard for them all of a sudden because they missed "ragnarok" hidden in a patch of grass, well that ain't too good is it?

5) Rewarding the Players

If the players go out of their way to get something, do a sidequest, or beat a remarkably hard boss. GIVE THEM WHAT THEY DESERVE. That way they will always be hunting for sidequests, always wanting to move onto the next boss, and take their time getting an item quite a ways away, it extends the play time of you game without frustrating the player. I think we all remember the huge letdown of the skulltula quest of Legend of Zelda: OOT.
A few ideas if you're stumped:
If the party is having a hard time with a boss, give them something which may have made the boss so hard (i.e. one of his spells), but balance it so if the boss was easy for them, the spell becomes less useful
If a sidequest is long, give them a reward for completing it partway or if the completely finish it, give them something better.
If they go out of their way to pickup a treasure chest to find out it was crap, somehow get them quickly back to where the path diverges so they can keep exploring and avoid excessive combat, rather than traverse familiar terrain.

6) The Beauty of Balance

If you can balance a game properly, you can give players near infinite combat possibilities without making it lopsided. Unfortunately, this happens to be one of the hardest if not THE hardest part of any game design requirement (Battle.net forums anyone?).
One basic rule when in doubt: For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. If you give your players spells to boost defense, give future bosses higher attack, if you make more powerful versions of the spell, increase the MP cost etc. etc. Never make one thing more powerful/better than another, unless you offset it with things like "GP" cost, MP cost, rarity etc.
One extra thing, versatility = power, if a sword can do either ice or fire damage, decrease its attack or increase it's cost.
I know this sounds routine and basic, but work on it as much as you can. Experience with balance will follow and help you ALWAYS.
It's awesome when you can give players a great power, then they realize that whoa, this isn't cheese, we need this, cause the monsters are figgin tanks!

7) Alternate Leveling

This aspect can make or break RPGs. Every great RPG has one and most poorly made RPGs are either missing one or have a bad/unbalanced one. You can also think of it as "alternate experience points"

Examples:
Chrono Trigger - Tech gaining (not to great on it's own, but combining them holy muchacho!)
FFVI - Esper magic learning (limited I agree, but the game had a lot more to offer)
Diablo II- Skill tree system
FFV - Job system/AP
FFVII - Materia system

One exception I can think of this would be FFX, but again since it was very unique and had of lot of other elements (ODs, Weapon customization etc.), plus the customization aspects of the sphere grid make it MORE than forgiven.
How many times have you wanted to play an RPG simply because of its alternate leveling system?

8) Overload factor

Okay first off this is difficult to have to RM2K (A good thing, sorta) unless you have a lot of custom systems. Basically it happens when you give the player too many custom features and customization options right at the beginning of the game, they become so overwhelmed they don't want to play. FFT came deadly close to this (cause few people want to sit through the tutorials), FFX was good with this (they took their time to introduce you to new features). As well games like Morrowind or NWN that have you decide upon a good chunk of your character development before even playing the game make it frustrating to start.
Games that have this may be referred to as "Love or hate" games because if you are able to understand it all and get absorbed into it they are awesome, if not, you throw down the controller and do something else.
If you are running the risk of having this (like in tutorial-less RTS games) simply run an interactive tutorial and make it part of the story line. As well make it skippable if the player is playing through a second time.
As for class choosing right at the beginning, give a preview of some kind, either in the form of a battle or a visual example. Either way it should be interactive, people don't play a game to read.

9) RM2K Cinematography, tips and tricks

This really more or less applies to RM2K. What I mean by the topic title, is making use of what you have to make a scene or situation believable and chock full of emotion. The key features which make RM2K cinematography:

-Music-

WILL, I repeat, WILL make or break the scene, if you can coordinate the music with the animation, it will look awesome. If plan on developing good scenes, you must develop the eye and the ear so it goes together. If your not sure where to start with a scene (especially if you want to make one not knowing what it is about) listen to a tune until you find something you know will work, you may even see it in your mind’s eye and your scene will build from there, it can be effective to build a scene around music rather than the other way around (if you can't make music, like me) the only downside is, you have to find where the scene works. Sounds unorthodox but as they say, "If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid"
If you are skilled at making music, build the scene, THEN the music.

-Use or Charsets-

This is a tricky part for most people, you have good music and dialogue but the characters are just staring at each other. A good faceset will help a lot but sometimes you really want the characters "animated" (if you catch my meaning). Make their heads move, make them pace around, make them kneel, this can help you a lot! And it IS worth the time making them, if you need help look a FFVI's Character sets and use them as a guide for adjusting your own.

-Dialogue-

Going back to #1 keep your dialogue consistent with the theme of the scene, if you need help there are TONS of tutorials on this. But, some basic tips:

Angry scenes: Short sentences, dialogue runs at a face pace, hostility
Fearful scenes: Short sentences, quick movement, hesitation in the speech
Sad/emotional scenes: Drawn out sentences, repetition, smooth dialogue
Casual: this really depends on the characters personality, if there was a time where certain non-direct traits came out (anything that wouldn't apply to the above scenes, now's the time to bring it out)

Remember dialogue’s the little opportunity you have to show conscious character development, but also remember, less is more, people don't like to read in games, so the more you can have acted out, the better.

-Colour-

The use of colour (screen tones/chipsets/even monsters) really will help reinforce the mood of the scene:

Happy: Use greens/blue really anything bright will do
Anger: Browns, Blacks, Reds
Sadness: Blues, Greys
Fear: Blacks, keep it dark!
Scenes where it's "hot" (i.e. desert): Warm tones (reds, tans, browns, yellows)
Scenes where it's "cold": cold tones (blues, greens, purples)
Scenes where it's "Humid/lush": Lush greens (shiny plant chips)
Outdoors: Bright colours
Indoors: Dull colours

It kind of gets obvious from there, just make sure whatever you do, "fits the mood"

I would put a section in for graphics but really it's pretty obvious as it is totally up to you from there

One more thing, don't forget about weather effects, however I personally recommend limiting using them, but they are there.

10) Minigames/sidequests/puzzles

If you’re making an RM2K game of reasonable length (10+ hours) you should have a few minigames to break the "battle-heal-rinse-repeat" flow. Even if you are very good and can make your dungeon crawling fun and-innovative throw one in (assuming you have time, but you DO have that luxury and it IS a luxury) it'll make your game that much better.

You should follow these guidelines for minigames:
-Make sure it's FUN, especially if they have to play at least once for story purposes, if they have to for the story, make it somewhat easy.
-REWARD THEIR EFFORTS
-It doesn’t have to still be fun 5 hours later, but it should keep them entertained long enough to grab the rewards it offers.
-Don't worry so much about balance (if any) just focus on fun
-A truly magnificent minigame should be quick to learn, ages to master
-Try to give it a reason for being, don't put a duck hunt game in a world where ducks don't exist.

As for sidequests:

-REWARD THEIR EFFORTS
-They shouldn't be essential to winning the game but they can help
-Don't hide them so they're impossible to find
-They can be of any length, in fact its good to have a few long, a few short and a few in between. It keeps it unpredictable
-Be innovative, avoid "item fetching quests" unless you throw a good twist in, or the heros get to keep the item

Always throw a few sidequests in. They extend the life of your game and give the player a choice (always good).

Puzzles:

Puzzles can be similar to minigames however I consider a puzzle to be shorter, and are mostly used as a boredom breaker in dungeon crawling. It all depends how your game flows, use them as needed, and don't make them so challenging it halts the game in its tracks. If you are going to make it challenging, make it so they can quit after so many tries (however they may miss out on a non-essential prize). Remember the idea is fun. As well theme them with your "dungeon". A cave or mine shaft wouldn't have a switch complex to open a door (unless the mine is set that way). Nor would a forest have a crate-moving puzzle unless there was a circumstance that warranted it.

I hope these tips help you to design and build better games. And if I somehow tore apart a game you were building, well there’s not much I can do about that. All in all thank you reading, peace out!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:35:36 AM »
Okay. I had just noticed that nobody helped (BAD STROLENITES! No Version 2.0 for you!)

So here we go.

I might suggest a few interesting variations on minion to populate the location. That will change how combat/ conflict will be done.

There could be a third party (and fourth) in the area. Completely unrelated to the person's quest. You could opt to get involved in this "little war" between two groups of goblins/ monsteroids (that is my new word for the day, it is used for monster races, usually humanoids). Perhaps if you do help one of these groups against the other (perhaps they are fighting over a pool of water or some other resource) you can get an item that might make certain things easier down the line. If not, they are just randomish encounters that occur while you are doing other things.

I might also suggest an animator.. kill of some of her servants in a certain area, and they rise again as zombies or somesuch). She has the magic and the attitude to do it.

To set things right, you might have to set up the mystic glyphs that have been disrupted. so now you have to hunt for six items and put them in their obvious place on the board before you can proceed to the big climax. It is a classic "move the key" kind of puzzle.

That is all I have for right now.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: TES III: Morrowind-MOD (PC RP-game)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:45:17 AM »
Quote from: "Caitriona"
Well, this is my first try here, so please don't be too strict. ;)

This MOD is a plugin-file for the pc-game "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind".

If you don't know this game, here's a short description:
Morrowind is a singleplayer-RPG. It begins with a dream and your awakening. You don't know where you are, you only know your name. You are brought to the small village Seyda Neen where you get your instructions and the name of a person you should visit. Now you're on your own...
If you find the person, you can start the main-plot (you should do that :wink: ), but there are hundreds of quests waiting for you.

But well, always doing the same tasks is boring after some month, and that's what these mods are for: bringing a new story, new quests and places into the game.

Ahhh, Morrowind modding... I give you the gold award for being such an enthusiastic fan :) In my eagerness to play Oblivion I recently played some Morrowind, heh I even modded like you do now. The CS is a powerful tool indeed though I prefer the NWN CS.
Quote from: "Caitriona"
My MOD is called "Seanan's Spell" and I made up the story very roughly.

A short summary:
In the small magician universe named Yardua the women reign. Every woman who reigns the small municipality has to bear one girl who will take her place when her time of reign is over. But suddenly everything was in disorder - the Mistress bore two girls at the same time: The twins Seanan and Chaera. Now the girls had to pass some examinations. The one who would be better would become the new Mistress. Chaera won and Seanan was angry. Within the years till her sister wasn't Mistress she pretended to accept her fate. But when their mother had gone, she changed. Seanan often was away and nobody knew, where she had gone. One day she came back with hords of beasts and servants, who killed the servants and guards of Yardua and forced the municipality to flee. Chaera though wasn't stupid, she had built a new place to hide where Seanan would never find them. After a while she left the hiding place, scribbled a short note and let it fly. Since then the people of Yardua hide in the tightness of the cave and wait for somebody to help them...

For the player the story starts with finding the note and searching the transporter-stone, which will take him right into the cave where he will be told what had happened. And he has to choose, if he wants to
help or not. Well, if he won't, he wouldn't have started to play the MOD... :wink: )

Those things are - nearly - ready made (the transporter-stone, the notes, the places, the NPCs, some dialogues etc.). My problem is: I have no ideas what quests the player could do. I just brought in some easy riddles, but there has to be much more. But what??

There's a big fight against Seanan and her servants in the end, and a part of the quests is the search for her residence. I want to bring in quests where you have to think, to combine, or only to know, to be creative and and and... I want easy and hard tasks but I'm very uncreative myself. :(

The "Elder Scrolls Construction Set" (with which I'm working) offers many possibilities, almost everything is possible with the scripts. It's hard to describe how everything works, but just believe me. :wink:

Here are some screenshots of the Construction Set. They show small parts of my work. The pink arrows show, that doors are activated. Some things have changed, because I didn't like them as they were before. I'll take some new screenshots soon.

I'd be very happy if anyone would share ideas with me. :) And as I told before: almost everything is possible, because I can create new items with special functions, like the transporter-stone and things like that. So please tell me every of your ideas - I'll try to find a way to convert them (if I like them :wink: ).

Greetings,
Caitriona

Okay so you got your background story ready, but I miss the present story... the plot of the hero. What will he do? Will he wade through Seanan's Minions and slay her in the end, or will there be additional twists of the storyline? As MoonHunter indicated, don't be afraid to use some cliches, this isn't the Pulitzer Prize you are going for, it is a game community!

Why not add some intrigue? Perhaps Seanan did this for another reason than you stated? Perhaps she is: A) Under the influence of some evil power (by drugs, spells or other influences that can be broken by the PC), or B) Fighting her sister and the municipality legitimately, for the sister has less than noble plans (may lead to a second quest), or C) Seanan is dead and has been replaced by a clone/doppleganger of some sort, etc...

Additional intrigue might be added:
- The PC might be betrayed once he is victorious (enter another quest).
- The PC might be spellbound by Seanan and forced to do her bidding (enter a side quest)
- The PC might switch sides (perhaps because of reason B above), only to discover Seanan has duped him (this work out great if he realize it some seconds after slaying Chaera, hehehe)

and so on. Good luck with your modding, I know it is a time consuming task. Personally I can't wait to lay my hands on Oblivion and its new Construction Set!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 05:04:14 AM »
You might add a moral choice - the PC might side with A, Chaera; B, Seanan; C, the men of the village and overthrow them both; D, the Evil Man Was Not Meant To Know and place all those fools on its altar in exchange for power. Muhaha? I guess so.
The factions might all have a valid point - perhaps Chaera is libertarian, Seanan authoritarian but a good leader, the men of course want to decide for themselves, and the Beast... well, it gives you power.

Just make it so that the player really has a choice. Allow him to solve quests in different ways. So, lumberjacks might be in conflict with a treant guardian... both have valid points and it is up to the player to decide whom to help. A good avarice/justice conflict might be meeting a nobleman who is hunting, say, an unicorn. If you help him, you get cash, but the unicorn is dead. If you save it, it might aid you at a later time.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 04:26:56 PM »
Omg, thank you all for your answers!

MoonHunter:
I thought about bringing in another group which is a bit in conflict with my people, but I'm playing a MOD right now where exactly this is involved - I don't want others to think I steal their ideas. But I will think of a way to bring that in.

I'm not thinking about items yet, I always get lost in it and don't get on with the storyline. ;) But the hunt for items is a great idea, I already know a script with which that will work..

Ancient Gamer:
I really love Morrowind. When I got the game in February I played whole nights and days long, I even dreamed of it. :lol: But it got boring after some month, especially the main-quest, because the first tasks are stupid (getting that Dwemer Puzzle Box e.g.).

It's definitely a MOD for characters who have already finished the main-quest, nothing for low-level-chars.
And what you ask next is my problem: I just don't know. The first quest is the search after the hiding place, there will follow some fights, but not too many, I'd like a MOD where fighting is only a secondary matter.

Intrigues are always a great thing, I will note this. (Is it normal that my desk is full of papers with mysteriously "codes" on it? I have to write down so much, I would forget it if i didn't..)

Echo:
I thought about cheating the player and just pretending as if Chaera and her followers are good and Seanan is bad. Or they're both bad and just hating each other and want the strong and powerful character to help them fighting the other or something. Or they are just bored. Or only an illusion or .. I need more paper to write all that down. :wink:

I wrote the first dialogues today and thought about some easy quests, but they are to morrowind-like - go there and bring this back to her and things like that. It's boring. I played some other MODs to get a bit more sure what the CS is able to do. And there's so much but I haven't discovered anything now.

So far.. Thanks again for your answers and ideas I will think about everything. :D

Oh and Ancient: I know it's only a MOD by a layman but I want to to a perfect job - I'm very perfectionistic.. :wink:

Greets,
Cait

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
Well, I had not much time during the last weeks because of exams and things like that. But now I started working again and (women! :x ) changed almost everything I had done. I didn't like it anymore. The island with the fortress I built first was a green one with trees and everything but now I wanted it to be a lava-isle. And it became one. ;) The fortress was ready made (inside and outside) but it has to change. The world of the "good" part finally got it's soil and everything. And I think I won't change it again. But ask me again in two months. ;) Finally I have done the first script and - yeha - it works! 8) Well, just wanted to tell how the work goes on. ;)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:25:23 AM »
Thanks Caitriona!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »
Thanks for what .. ?

Oh I love my MOD. After building the world for some hours I test in ingame and it's great to walk around the places I have created. I hope once when they can play it others will like it, too. :)

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 09:52:14 AM »
I wish I had the talent and the patience to MOD Morrowwind. I had envisioned when I first picked it up to MOD Hewdamia into a playable fashion, but alas I am ignorant of how to use that Construction Set. I couldn't get anything to work correctly, I don't even think I could even place a building. I envy you your talent and wish you the best of luck.

Once you get it to a working status I will be more than happy to help test it for you. I love the free play form of it, but yes the whole fetch this for me and bring it to them was very tedious as it was the same quest with different items and different people to kill/ steal from/ seduce that it was difficult to fathom. I never beat it.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »
Thanks for what .. ?
Thanks for letting us know how it went. (I replied to the closing statement of your post)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 10:41:58 AM »
Well, the Construction Set seems to be a difficult programme to work with, but once you get used to it, it's very easy. My first tries were terrible, as you say: I couldn't even place a building with a door. So I read three short tutorials. The first was about how to place the buildings with a door and make it work, the second was about building steps (which isn't needed, because you find out how to do the interior) and the third was about landscaping. The other things I learned by trying, although scripting is still not easy, but the tutorial 'Scripting for Dummies' is very helpful. ;) And don't ask how much time it took to bring a new race into the game - I didn't count the hours, but I had to try it about ten times, because something was wrong in each try or the Construction Set had an error and I hadn't saved my work..  :x

Well, at the moment I'm working on some tricky quests, but I'm not sure, how to realize my ideas. But 'Scripting for Dummies' will help me. ;)

Yet I have built:
The world of the 'good ones', which includes the world-area (I built it in an interior-cell), eight houses (some smaller, some bigger) with interiors (not all ready yet) and the teleportation-system.
The hiding place of the 'good ones' (interior-cell, too) with eight dwellings and some other features.
The world of the 'bad ones' (the biggest part of my work!) inlcuding an isle with a fortress, which has five levels (at the moment), with many rooms, all fully decorated (which was a great piece of work) and with some specials made by me.  8) There's a ship and a secret passage, too and it's not nearly everything I want to build there..

I have made 30 NPCs, 7 creatures, 9 containers, 13 books/notes, 1 race, 2 activators (specials), 6 new static-items, 1 new light and 3 ingredients.
Well, it sounds not as much as it is or as it takes time to create them.

Today I made the creatures, which means you have to give them a name and an ID, a script (if you want to), a level, the skills, a dialogue (if you want to), configure the AI, give them their looking and (very important) save them.. I often forget it and when the CS crashes I have to start again...  :roll:

Well, so far.. I need a break. ;)

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 10:50:03 AM »
This is very cool. Honestly once it is ready to play let me know I will install Morrowind again and play it.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
Well, here I am again. Had some trouble with my computer, but fortunately my data were safe. So I'm able to start working with my MOD again, if I find the time.

One question I thought about for some time is if it makes sense to make a Morrowind-MOD, 'cause many don't play it anymore, since Oblivion has come.. It is fun to build it but it's also hard work and I don't want to waste my time..

Well.. Some news and thoughts. I'm tired. Should go to bed now.  8)

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »
Well, it's practice for if you get Oblivion, and a lot of the people here would probably play it and critic you.  I know I'd go gung-ho and piece together a PC to play on something a member of the site made.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 08:26:50 AM »
I dont have Oblivion for the PC, only for the 360 so if you mod Morrowind I would play...

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »
I've been working on the mod within the last days, but there's not much new there, 'cause I finally found what I've been searching for to build one of the places so I had to rebuilt it and it's not finished yet. I made some ingame videos of the places but they're very dark so I have to find out how to handle the game cam. And some passages need more light (although I built them as dark as they are), there's a passage where you can't see everything - even wearing a torch. But it's funny to see a preview in which the builder gets lost in the blackness of his own world.  :mrgreen:

And for I am joining a programming group I'll finally learn how to make the scripts - without, the best mod is just something nice to look at. ;)

So far.
Cait

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
A little late in reply but good luck and keep pluggin away.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 01:46:20 AM »
So here are some news about my work.. I must confess that I haven't been working on this plugin lately, there's another project I'm working on with some people and for the other plugin I had more ideas.

But now I will go on with my work, got some new ideas but need to practice scripting more. (The boys in de programming group rather want to write (=programme) an adaption (?) of an ego shooter as a point'n'click adventure.. Well.. I'll go on trying to convince them to join my work..  :wink: )

Well, got to go, I'm at school atm and the PC sucks..  :down:

Offline Caitriona

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 05:18:28 AM »
Hello everybody,

it's been a long time since I wrote here, but now I'll do again. My mod is still in progress, I'm far from being ready, 'cause I'm in the last year at school now, so I got much to do for my exams.
And I'm working on a second mod with some people, where I have to finish a determined amount of work in every week, which is sometimes bit difficult, but as long as I have fun with it, everything is okay.

I'm getting into scripting more and more, atm I'm fighting with dialogues, as they don't work as I want them to. But I'll manage that.

Well, just wanted to give a sign that I'm still alive, even if it's not interesting, though.