llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: needing help!!!  (Read 932 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline knightsceam

• Apprentice
    • Awards
needing help!!!
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:22:50 AM »
I am working on becoming better at posting for the sight and would like some help by some of the senior members(captain penguin maybe) any way any help you can give would be appreciated
limit nothing, in my world the rules are meant to be broken.

Re-reading The Hobbit (Tolkien rocks)
Playing Radiata Stories

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
needing help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 04:42:02 PM »
Sure thing, bud!
If there's anything we love, it's a self-improver. ;)

What are you interested in creating?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
needing help!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:20:21 PM »
For Posts (on the main page), let me list the top few tips I give seem to give out.

First: Review!
Review the top rated posts of the category you want to post it. So click into items, then the highest rated (in red) and it will give you a list of the best items. Read the first ten or so.

Second: Effort!
Put some thought into your post. Take your time putting the post into print. Taking time to do a post right shows you care not only about your audience and yourself, but you care about the thing you are posting about. If you aren't spending a minimum of 15 to 30 minutes on the post, it will probably be abused and low rated. Most of us spend 45 to 60 minutes on a post. Remember, you will spend more time actually thinking about your post before you put it up, if you want to do it right.

Remember that you can edit your post, so if you find something wrong, go back and fix it.

Third: Check it!
I really mean it. Go through your posts. Make sure it follows the basic rules of grammar . Sentences start with capital letters, end with punctuation, and have everything moderately correct in between. Extra lines should be inserted between paragraphs (and there should be paragraphs). I can not stress the next part more that simply scream, "Spell check!". If you can, copy (from web site) and paste (into word processor) your post into a WP with spell check. Run the spell check (and the grammar check if it has it). Copy and paste it back. If you do this, it will automatically improve your post by one point (on average). If we can simply and easily read your post, we can start critiquing it rather than your awful spelling.

If English is not your primary language, let us know. However, be warned that many of our best posters have English as a second, third, or even fourth language. So all we ask is that you continue to work at it, to get it right. http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1559.0

Fourth: Completeness!
Your posts needs to tell us nearly everything about the item. While being vague can help make the item more "generic", you need to "imply" the answers. (For example: while my game might not have Rykor the BloodSlayer, I can figure out an approximate match "The most dreaded demon riding Dark Knight in history.")  You post needs to answer Who is involved, What is happening (and where and when) and how and why things occur.  If it is an item or setting then include: What is the item/place? and What can it do?  

Details are not as important as completeness. Read your post. Is there anything that someone (who doesn't know your campaign and the backstory) might have a question about? If you find such a question, edit the write up and include  the answer to that question. Keep reading your post until you have answered every question (including ones that seem really stupid... there are a lot of really stupid people out there).

Fifth: The Gold Standard
If your post could not be part of a published fantasy novel, it needs work. That is what you should aim for.

If your item/ npc/ plot/ setting is not as well described and developed as something you would find in a published fantasy novel (excluding most DnD licensed novels), then it is not equal to the gold standard and needs work.

This standard is really not that hard to meet. New members often meet it on their first or second try. You do not need to be a professional writer, you just need to put a little effort into doing it right.

Orson Scott Card once said, "Every one has 8000 pages of really bad writing in them, so they need to write a great deal to get them out of their system, so they can get to their good pages.

For the Forums
Forum Rules Generally in order of importance.

Keeping threads on topic
The contents (i.e. the individual posts) of any thread should always be relevant to its title. For example a thread called "Inventing Languages" should not include a discussion about someone's hair color, whether another user is an idiot, the weather, etc! Please keep every thread relevant to its title.

Users 'fighting' (aka flaming) in threads
Users should not use the forum to settle petty disputes amongst each other. The purpose of this forum is for people who enjoy roleplaying, fantasy adventures, etc. to chat and help each other - it's not a virtual boxing ring or a school yard. The site's terms of use make it clear that abusive behavior is not welcomed or allowed on this site. If you want to have a 1-to-1 chat or heated argument then find another place to do it - or better still take a breath and relax, life is too short!

Topic Titles Be descriptive!
Don't just post a title called "Help" or "Very funny" - it's annoying for everyone and no-one likes an attention seeker. Give users an idea of what your post is about. If someone wants to read your post they will, so please don't try and trick them in to reading it.

Chatspeak and H4x0r $p34k
We prefer full sentences and use of Emoticons to Chatspeak. For instance instead of using LOL use  etc. but the accidental usage of Chatspeak should not be flamed.
1 4M 4N 37337 w1nd0z3 h4x0r wH0 h4$ 0Wn3d y0uR w3b p4g3.
Don't want to see it. Do real hackers really type like that? I don't think so, I think those would probably be referred to script kiddies.

Swearing and 'Masked' Swearing
The majority of swear words are not allowed on Strolen's Citadel. If you do accidentally swear then the forum software has an auto-censor which should replace your swearing with a number of *'s. Please respect the auto-censor and do not attempt to bypass it by inserting spaces or any other characters in to your swear words.

Respect the minimum character limit
Each post you make on the forum should be at least 15 characters long. This is a forum NOT a chat room. All the posts you make in topic oriented threads of Strolen's Citadel should contribute something of value.

No Commercial Advertising
No commercial advertising whatsoever. End of story. If you have a nonprofit web page appropriate for us then feel free to let us know about it. Don't abuse this privilege though. There is a link thread that is appropriate for straight advertising with a description of your site. I don't expect threads popping up advertising your own site. Think about what you are doing and ask yourself, "Would you want somebody doing that on your site?"

Signatures
Please keep your signature to a suitable length and keep in mind the advertising rules. You may absolutely link to your personal site in your signature. Your signature may be edited or deleted at our discretion if it is deemed inappropriate. No graphics in signatures please. We don't want to turn into one of those forums where signatures dominate the thread. It is annoying and a waste of bandwidth better spent on text.

Respect the administrators and moderators decision.
Moderating a forum can be hard work, and to make things easier and better for everyone else, we would greatly appreciate it if you do your best to make these forums a pleasant place. If a thread gets locked, or a post gets deleted or some other thing happens, please do not go and make another post or thread about it, as that is not wanted and will be promptly locked or deleted. If you have a problem, send a personal message to an administrator or moderator.

We reserve the right to amend these rules without warning and at our discretion.

It is up to you as a forum member to keep up to date with these rules.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline knightsceam

• Apprentice
    • Awards
needing help!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »
Well captain. I belive that my one problem is that putting a personality with my characters. or either making my weapons to strong or basicly normal
limit nothing, in my world the rules are meant to be broken.

Re-reading The Hobbit (Tolkien rocks)
Playing Radiata Stories

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
needing help!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »
Hmmm...
I must not be very good at this teaching sort of thing because the only thing I can think of to say is...
Give the character a personality. Start with mannerisms- simple little things they do, nervous tics and habits. Then try thinking of the reasons that they have these habits and tics. Perhaps the reason that (insert name here) the Warrior frequently rubs his neck is that that was the last place his slain lover kissed him, so on.
Think of creating a character as describing a person- imagine that somebody has asked you "What is he/she like?" and you intend to tell them all about him.

As for making your items too powerful... The key is remembering that we don't want superweapons or things that kill everbody. We want interesting items, intriguing items, unique items, and just because something isn't powerful doesn't mean it isn't interesting.
Basically normal weapons are fine, as long as there is something interesting about them. They don't have to be magical at all to be interesting to us.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist