llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Computer Line  (Read 1300 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Computer Line
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »
We had a thread that was discussing computers and technical issues. Darned if I can find it right now.  So here is another one.  Vista has been in the news, as has MIT's 100 dollar computer. But the thing that is interesting me... Scientists: RFID chips can carry a virus

Yes these things are everywhere. For those that don't know, they are the cheap radio chips that are replacing the ubiquitous barcodes and are used as security items (you know the things that go ding as you cross the door). They are both a serious threat to privacy (as people can track you via the rfid chips you have, and can see remotely certain products you have in your home).  Now they are susceptible to computer viruses (per some scientists at a Dutch university). These viruses can impact the back end of RFID inventory systems... creating your normal wacky havok with the data base that viruses can do so well.  In short, we need a new system.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/03/15/rfid.virus.reut/index.html

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
Re: Computer Line
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:42:01 AM »
holy @!#$!
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »
That really is something!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »
I told 'em, but did they listen?  Noo....  'He doesn't know what he's talking about, I mean look at him.  He's wearing a tinfoil hat.'  But I was right.  Now I need to coat my house in the stuff...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
*goes through all of her dvds and pulls off the RFID chips and sticks them to her dog, various stray cats and a racoon*
Muhahahaha! they'll never find me now!

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 06:11:41 PM »
I actually peel them off and either stick them in someone else's trash OR leave them on the communter bus or train I am taking the next day. (I do the same thing with the security strips as well that are not Rdif). If it keeps moving, they will have a harder chance to trace it. This is not that paranoid.

Of course, there is the fun thing of returning something, but replacing the original Rfid sticker with another one.  :) 

There are refrigerators in the works that would read the rdif tags in the refrigerator products and produce wrappers, so they would know what you had in stock and what needed to be replaced (an your internet ready appliance would reach out and order it for you).  The precursing barcoded versions met with serious consumer flack and privacy concerns.  Most people will not be aware of the rdif abilities of their frig, and tht it will keep a list of your products even if it is not internet/ home net connected.

You also know that a simple scanner can pulse your house and have EVERY rdif chip in your house reply back... thus becoming a serious security concern. 

[paranoid]
Between people being able to locate your live position within .3 miles (pager or cell phone), livescan your cell commu, and a couple of other things that a technically savvy person could do to find out about you... it gets scary.
[/paranoid]

But more seriously, those rdif credit cards that you have now.  It will not be too long in the future when the automatic door opener will read those cards and check your credit rating.

So remember, all cool useful tech can have two edges.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©