llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Last War  (Read 82975 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Callista Miala Moonshade

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Re: The Last War
« Reply #725 on: April 23, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »
Holly Looked down at Grumple who now was sat up checking himself over. Holly turned towards Arthur "What have you done?" Holly looked back at Grumple "He looks diffrent!" Holly knealt down next to Grumple "Are you alright" The troll didn't do anything but kept checking himself over. Holly stood up and turned to the others. "We have to move to the next town. Its a few miles east of here. Does anyone know of the place? The City of Eternal Darkness. I know it doesn't exactly sound appealing but it's our only hope. A strong mage cast a spell on the city when they began to get to.. Well cocky i would say. They began worshipping one god. or at least thats what they called him. Jumba! he was an ordinary man but he was wicked. The mage destroyed him as well as the sunlight over the city. They were forever plummated into darkness for there wicked thought's. But they evolved to living in the dark. Their quite a peaceful city but when they are in need of war they are strong allies to have on your side." I know a woman there she can help us get that spear head out and she can also help us find stronger forces." Holly sighed slightly and then looked between them all in turn "So what do you say. If you refuse then i will go alone i will get the information and then i will bring it back." Holly turned and mounted Tigra and waited for the others to reply.
'What goes up!! Must come down,"

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: April 23, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »
Baldwin narrowed his eyes as he looked at Grumple.  The troll seemed alright but...  The glow of the sword had dimmed considerably but was still faint and had taken on a different hue, as much purple as blue.  He didn't understand it.  He walked away from Grumple and it winked out.  He walked towards Grumple and the faint glow returned.  He looked at Arthur, trying but failing to keep the suspicion out of his eyes.  "What did you do?"

Rory's stomach fought itself and his head still swam.  His attempt to figure out the weaves had left him a bit disoriented.  Magik isn't good or evil, it just is.  At least that's what his teachers had told him.  This thing that Arthur had done though, looked more akin to a weapon than a method of healing. He glanced up at Holly, wanting nothing more than to climb up behind her on Tigra and go to sleep.  Instead he said, "I'll go with you though I can't speak for the others.  I just need to rest a bit first."  He stumbled over to a nearby tree and was asleep the moment he laid at its base.
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:50 PM »
"Excuse me?" Arthur said

Something about him had just changed. His tone, his demeanor.

"What makes you think that she can get that spear-head out of him? Do you think that she can heal him better than I can? Is that what you think? Do you think that if the spear could have been completely removed, I would not have? Is that what you think?"

He no longer stood slouched as a timid figure against the loud clatter of the world. In this moment, he was the largest person here. Taller than Rory, larger than Baldwin. It had nothing to do with physical size. But for this moment, he comanded respect, and in his eyes, he demanded it.

"Do you think that you are better than me? You are a murderer, Holly Mayleaf. You are a deranged sociopath. You take the lives of others carelessly without thought or remorse for the devastation that your senseless cruelty and violence causes to those other than yourself. This is not a game. This is real. You kill real men, real people. People with wives and families, sons and daughters, and you do so because it is a childhood game to you"

"You are lucky that this creature is still alive. Do you think that being impaled is a casual affair? You have no idea what life is Holly Mayleaf, what hard work is. Well you will see. You will get what is coming to you, and I will not be around to cure your wounds."

He turned away from her as he finished his last word, crisp and sharp. He stood looking into the eyes of six armed men. They were legion, and they did not look friendly.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: April 28, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »
Belzar stood just inside a dark room. The feeling of dying still filled him, but he was not near death.

Five young virgins, three of them dead, lay bound in the room as well. It had been necessary, and also very enjoyable, to partake in the party that had been arranged for him. The other two girls, one twelve, and the other one eight, lay choking on their tears by his feet.

Lord Belzar pulled out what appeared to be two pendulums, each the size of a tea-cup. Arcane marks and Runes flooded the devices. They were Soul Wells. Each one could contain the power of a sacrificed soul, and grant it to the wearer upon command.

Belzar would need them if he were going to get that spear-head out of the creature. Portable healing. Unfortunately, the Soul Wells could not be summoned. Freed sould could be bound and summoned, and items could of course be summoned, but something about the link between an object and a soul prevented conjuration from working. That meant that he would have to catch up with them the old fashioned way, or else he would have to leave the soul well's behind.

The Healing was more important.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #729 on: April 28, 2006, 08:54:36 PM »
OOC: Sorry about my extended leave. I have been trying to reply for five days now, but for some reason, I have not been able to get on. Anyway, I will try to take some measure of temporary control over Dream's Characters while he is away, but you guys should feel free to lighten my load.

Hope I can get back on Tomorrow

-Nobody

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: April 28, 2006, 11:48:53 PM »
The legion men were desperate and unsure.  They had heard of the Heroes and knew they were a powerful group.  Baldwin moved to the side and slid Final Judgment so that half its length was exposed.  Holly stood ready as well.  Rory lay to the side unseen.  The Legion men spread out into a battle formation, hands on their weapons.  They were still unsure of themselves.  The man in the center of the group seemed larger than life, the vitality in his eyes made them pause.  Those who had seen Arthur before the recent change would not have realized the man who stood before them now.

Grumple was shifted his weight in the shadows, his aspect was frightening before Arthur healed him.  The heroes had grown to love him in their own way; though uneasy they still accepted him.

Now, there was a slightly twisted malevolence about him that was no fault of his own.  The hungry glow in his eyes as he moved forward into the light caused the Legionnaires to tremble with fright.  They looked to their leader for orders, while also looking for ways to escape if the troll came closer...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:50:25 PM by POG »
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: May 03, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »
Holly peered closly at Arthur her eye's narrowing and then becoming full again she watched as the legion men stood in formation her sword already drawn. Arthurs words had hit home and she didn't like it. numerous accounts she had been trying to save her friends and family she never thought about the people she killed. But she was not a murderer she did not enjoy killing in fact she hated what she had become but she had to do something. She couldn't let Belzar and the legion get away with what they did to her home and her family and no matter what any of them said she was going to do what was right by her. Holly didn't think what she did was a game and Arthur knew nothing of her life before he met her. How dare he judge me. The man has known me for a short period of time and he turn's to say that to me. I do not think that i am better than anyone if anything i think i am weaker than most. I have not got the skill to save these people. I only do what is nessaccary. Holly looked at the legion at there freightened faces and her will to fight seemed to ebb away. What was going on. Holly felt weak, weaker than she had for a long time. Her sword dropped slightly as she watched the men stand ready waiting for orders. Her knees began to tremble and her vision went slightly blurred as she watched the men shift uneasily under the watchful eye's of the group. This wasn't good.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2006, 09:20:35 PM »
A moment passed as each group eyed the other.

Only a moment.

In an instant, the front legion man drew his broad sword.

It never left the sheath.

Grumple's claw ripped through the man's rib cage in a visceral stroke that left him staggering backward, his mind unable to comprehend just how much pain he should be in. A stroke from the troll's other claw cleaved the man's head from his body.

The other Legion men stood frozen, gaping in horror at the speed and the ferocity with which their commanding officer had been killed. Grumple too paused, as if savoring something.

The man's body fell to the ground.

As grumple shifted from his short pause, the legion men backed a step, then another, then ran.

Kethal noted the turning point. Grumple may not have chased these men, but never before had she seen the creature lay the first blow. Not without intending to eat it afterward anyways, not out of aggression. That had always been a human trait, one that grumple had never had, but now...

"We have to move. Now. There will be others." She said.

Her voice cascaded over the senses like water cascaded over a brook. Arthur wondered how a voice could be so warm and alive.

He looked at the remains of the man who lay dead on the ground...

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #733 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »
Baldwin cast a questioning glance at Grumple.  He shrugged and turned to Kethal,  "Holly's suggestion seems as good as any I can think of.  We need to regroup and rest, go to ground and lick our wounds."  He motioned to his brother who had slept thru the brief melee with the Legionnaires.

He nudged Rory with his foot as he walked past him.  As Rory stirred he looked to Holly.  "Let's go."...

The Ares Chronicles

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #734 on: May 07, 2006, 09:50:55 AM »
She watched as the body fell to the ground. Holly shook her head and smiled weakly at Rory. she nodded and turned towards Grumple he stepped towards the group and for some reason Holly recoiled. She had never seen her friend kill with such brutality. It was freightning. The colour of her eyes seemed faded slightly as she sheathed her sword and turned to walk towards Tigra who was standing on the outskirts of the group. "There's a small hut just east of Halbad. It's been empty for a while and it's quite hard to find if you don't know where it is!" Holly mounted Tigra and turned her towards the group. "It should take about 2 hours to get there." Holly looked to the floor "Rory, Baldwin you may ride Tigra. You two are probably the most tired." Holly dismounted again and waited for rory or baldwin to answer.

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #735 on: May 09, 2006, 01:15:23 AM »
Baldwin chuckled as Rory jumped up behind Holly.  "You two look perfect up there."  Grumple and I are going to scout ahead."  He looked at the others in the group, "You guys coming?"...

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: May 09, 2006, 10:19:29 AM »
I know the place. I was there once. I will meet you all there. Arthur, would you come with me please?

A few minutes down the road...

"Arthur, what did you do with Grumple back there?"
"I saved his life"
"But, you did something else, didn't you?"
"No. I did not"
"But he acts differently now"
"He was just brought back from the edge of death. It changes a man"
"But not a troll"
"Are you sure?"
"..."

Arthur dare not let anybody know what he had done. Certainly, it was the only way, and later, once he had more time to study the problem, and the creature had more time to recover, Arthur could put grumple back to normal, but until then, nobody must ever know. They could never understand, never would understand.

Meanwhile, Odat had managed to get into the winery in the basement of the castle. Most of it was weak, but there was plenty of it, and Odat had not spared a moment. The world was spinning around him pretty quickly now.

This was a good thing.

Odat was unsure why this was a good thing that he was drunk. It was a question that Odat's impaired mind could not quite digest. An impossibly large puzzle. Rai would know why, but Odat knew only that he wanted the world to spin faster for some, incomprehensible reason, that would only make sense once he was sober. So, he drank.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: May 09, 2006, 10:35:44 AM »
Belzar sat outside on the back of what appeared to be a large, Black warhorse, with deep blue and gold stripes, like torn strips of leather, along it's body.

Four soul wells hung by Belzar's belt. He had found more sacrifices.

The creature that he sat upon was not a warhorse. It was Temrachule. It had no species, no race of others. It was a singular entity that existed nowhere else in the world of worlds.

Through coercion and enticement, Temrachule had agreed to help Belzar. It was a precarious balance. Belzar had Temrachule's name, had marked him with his mark, and had infected Temrachule with a parasite to weaken him, but even with such leverage, Temrachule was an even match for Belzar. It had been a miracle that first time.

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: May 16, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
Tigra moved slowly forward "It shouldn't be to hard to get to should it?" asked Tigra moving her head from side to side as she walked. Holly shook her head "Not to hard no! we just have to get to the forest on the east side of Halbad and then right in the centre is a small hut, it's not a big place but its warm and safe and we all should be able to rest there." Tigra made what looked like a little nod and began to walk east. Holly turned to Rory "Are you alright. would you like a drink i still have some elvish wine left if you would like some of that." Holly waited for Rory's answer.

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: May 17, 2006, 12:15:00 AM »
Rory traded the flask of wine for a stolen kiss...

The two wolves were shadows, moving through the dense woods like wraiths.  They were larger than any natural wolves but shared a deeper bond than their naturally occuring brethren.  They stalked the group with the uncanny intelligence of those seeking information of a military nature...

The Ares Chronicles

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: May 28, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »
Holly replaced the wine in her bag and smiled. Her skin seemed to tell her life story as it seemed to wrinkle at the corners of her mouth making her age a few years. Tigra trotted slowly east her hooves pounding lightly on the ground, making a slight ring in the air. The trees seemed to loom above them leaving a forewarning to whoever travelled through there forest. The air seemed to thicken as Tigra drove deeper into the forest. a slight gust of wind lifted a couple of dead leaves of the ground and tossed them about like a child playing in the autumn breeze. Holly coughed and it seemed to echo around the entire forest telling all the animals and plants of there whereabouts. Her eyes scanned the area watching for signs of anything which shouldn't be there.   

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2006, 10:02:29 AM »
“Holly coughed and it seemed to echo around the entire forest telling all the animals and plants of their whereabouts. “

The scratching sound of a quill on paper continued as an old hand and thin, worn fingers continued to write with a delicate skill that spoke of decades of practice.

“Her eyes scanned the area, watching for signs of anything which shouldn't be there.”

Removing the quill from the page, he let it rest in the ink jar to his right. He sat back for a moment in his wooden chair, letting the tension in his shoulders and back slip away.

The crickets could be heard through the window, the sun had already set, and night lay peacefully on the world.
The old writer arose from his work, and blowing out the candle, climbed the steps to his room where he would retire for the night, to dream once again of the magic and wonder that he had never lived. But after sleep had overtaken him, and his heavy eyes had fallen, no dreams came to greet him that night, and no bed came to greet him next morning.

The old man had dreamed his last dream, and breathed his last breath. Two brothers would never see what greatness awaited them. A young healer would never know the dark turn his life had yet to take. A green troll would never know a full life of friendship. A dark man would never achieve the limitless power that he desired to greatly, and a young, impulsive girl, would never realize that it was not the sword and shield that held power, but the heart.

As the old man slipped silently into his final slumber, his work, sat still on the desk downstairs, never to be completed, forever unfinished, but never forgotten.

-Requiem to an Unfinished Dream
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:12:00 AM by Nobody »