llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What the HELL did I eat!?  (Read 1304 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
What the HELL did I eat!?
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:24:12 PM »
The mighty dragon roared ominously - there was little the warrior of the group could do but distract its fury whilst the mage stood back atop an outcrop of rock, his voice echoing words of arcane power - the only spell he knew which had a chance of halting this beast. As the spell was beginning to come into completion - a jade glow forming at the tips of his fingers - The mage cringed slightly in pain. Blinking, he tried to hold back the growing ache in his stomach but to no avail. Mere syllables from the end of his word he doubles over in agony, collapsing on the rock and clutching his stomach as he watches the dragon swipe at the warrior, tearing him in two...

Now, I don't really play table-top RP much, so I'm not too sure if this is something implemented often, but realistically it would be expected. In days without modern hygeine standards, preservatives and refined foods, one would expect a lot of rotten meat and bacteria-ridden fish to be eaten. It is quite difficult to believe that our heroes would never catch a dose of food poisoning and find themselves with insanely painful stomach cramps, or perhaps having to flee behind a bush to 'evacuate themselves' every 10 minutes. Anyone who has suffered food poisoning will know that it always seems to come on at the most inconvenient of times :P and as such, perhaps if in your scenario the warrior fishes up a tasty treat from a nearby river, two days later all those who ate that fish will find themselves with food poisoning which may last several days. Every action they perform will require a saving roll of some kind, or they'll double over in pain and lose their turn.

More on that subject - animals which are poisonous to eat.
Would anyone in your party know that pufferfish are extremely toxic to eat? That many species of turtle can contain what is known as Chelenotoxin? That eating the liver of a seal can cause an overdose in vitamin A, which if taken too much of can act very much like arsenic? And lets not even MENTION all the varieties of plant which are poisonous! The world is a dangerous place, especially if you're hungry.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:46:27 AM »
I guess the relevance of food toxicity would be proportionate to the scale of the game being played. if the PCs are world shaking powers in a high epic style, off fighting dragons and such, poison would be a major affair. Kings and courtiers are poisoned, and such illness in invariably the action of a third party. Something as base and common as E. Coli would be out of place in such a game.

Now, if the PCs are would be heros with a couple of iron swords between them and a conviction to see that the orc tribe doesnt wipe out their hometown, that is a different matter. Some tainted meat all that's left in the larder, the PCs will eat to keep up their strength and end up with stomach cramps and the green apple quick steps.

If a campaign is gritty and realistic, food poisoning should be a present concern. To a higher power game with availabilty to magic spells such as Purify Food and Drink and Create Food and Drink such things are not really much of a treat.

(apologies to all for referencing D&D magic spells)

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 01:22:40 PM »
Related to this topic is an article on "Ordering a steak in an Inn"
http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1962.0

It covers the various historical bits about food preservation. It also inspired a couple new posts for inns and things open for many centuries.

Consider it a suppliment to this thread.

Immunity to food poisoning is a valuable perk/ talent/ gift in earlier times. Do not forget that. A few modern industrial people actually still have this ability, as it is part genetics and part aquired.

Of course, their immunity to various food borne illnesses would be greater than a "modern" persons. They have been exposed more often.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©