llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: "The Lion" or The Seven Archangels  (Read 2583 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
"The Lion" or The Seven Archangels
« on: July 25, 2005, 04:18:29 PM »
I have recently discovered an interest in the archangels of Jewish and Christian mythologies (not meant as a derogatory term, please don’t be insulted). I thought that they could be reworked into something that would fit into my current setting/pantheon. I’m looking to avoid the religious connotations and have them just as powerful, benevolent beings, something along the lines of seven less destructive Q. These angels are intended to be viewed as “The Powers That Be”: not necessarily worshipped, but respected as the guys who make the world keep revolving and who are sort of in charge.

The angels themselves will form a sort of council or tiny organization, consisting only of them. With the exception of one angel, they will all work together in an effort to promote the well-being and order (as opposed to chaos) of the world. One unifying aspect of the angels is that each has a specific gemstone tied to it. These gemstones are used as a focus or sacrifice when trying to commune with a specific angel. Another detail is that the seven angels are each known as a part of a great lion (considered an honorable and majestic animal), depending on their role. The angels also do not have any specific gender. They are personified and when they appear it is in a specific gender, but they are above such distinction.

Here are the seven angels, and slight info about each. I may change names and other details as this idea is expanded upon, in order to make it unique and separate from the Judian/Christian mythos. For now the names will be the same, simply because I like them and they are vastly different from the names in my setting, which will help keep these guys apart from the everyday world.

Raphael – Lion’s Heart

Raphael (seen as male) is the healer of the archangels. Kind and charming, his role within the angels is typically one of insight. His mind and intuition tend to lead him where more logical minds, such as Gabriel don’t go. His gemstone is the sapphire.

Gabriel – Lion’s Mouth

Gabriel (seen as female) is the speaker. She is considered beautiful, though not incredibly so. She is personified as wearing light robes and carrying a short scepter, topped with the figure of a lion sitting on its haunches. She is the advisor of the angels, giving practical advice when needed. Her gemstone is the opal.

Michael – Lion’s Paw (pronounced “mee-kale”, or something similar)

Michael (seen as female) is the angel’s hand. She is the one who most often appears to mortals. She is attractive, though not as much as Gabriel and is considered the most aggressive of the group. She wears her hair short and her clothing is conducive to weapons-use. She is considered a protector of soldiers and often appealed to by wives of same. Her gemstone is the ruby.

Uriel – Lion’s Eyes
Uriel (seen as male) is the angels’ leader and peacemaker. He is considered the most levelheaded of the seven and is called upon as a moderator. He is the patron angel of diplomats. His gemstone is the topaz.

Raziel – Lion’s Mind

Raziel (seen as female) is the one angel who stays away from the others. She is viewed as darker and more mysterious, since she is the angel known as the secret-keeper. She has knowledge of the most hidden and the forgotten.  Her gemstone is the catseye.

Anael – Lion’s Shoulder

Anael (seen as male) is the guardian of the angels. He is quiet and stalwart. A myth tells of him having stood watch over a special location for four consecutive centuries without moving a single muscle. He thinks for long periods of time before doing anything, always wanting to make sure he is sure of himself before action. He is said to have a flaming long sword that he will only use in defense. His gemstone is the emerald.

Cassiel – Lion’s Blood

Cassiel (seen as female) is the most creative of the group. She is personified in loose fitting robes and carrying a flute. She is more flighty than the other six and tends to visit mortals regularly for no other purpose than her own amusement. She loves to talk and tries to learn everything there is to know. Her gemstone is the amethyst.

That’s what I have at this point. I would love any commentary or suggestions. This will be integrated into my setting (Terescence) as soon as I feel it is ready.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline Dragonlordmax

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Celestial Hierarchy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »
The nine tiers of angels, listed in ascending order of power:

Angels; Archangels; Principalities; Powers; Virtues; Dominations/Dominions; Thrones; Cherubim; Seraphim

I believe that most of the angels you mentioned are Seraphim, not archangels.
He who says little speaks two syllables.
-God of Thunder

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
"The Lion" or The Seven Archangels
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
I also believe that I specifically said that these were not the same as the archangels from the Jewish and Christian mythologies. I have taken the concept and changed it for use in my fantasy setting of Terescence.

However, at the very least, I'm pretty sure that Raphael, Michael, Gabriel and Uriel are actual archangels, even in the varying religious mythos.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)