llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Simple Deception"  (Read 1415 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cardillotang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:48:54 AM »
After searching for the worst item that still exists on this page I came up with an idea.

Well mainly because of Echo.

Its the opposite of a cloak of hiding.

Instead of a spell that makes peoples gaze "slide off of you" not necessarily a spell that makes one completly invisible...just a spell where when you walk into a room no one pays any attention to you. It does the complete opposite. Everyone your around becomes suscpicous of you, eyeing you closley watching your every move

The person wearing the cloak thinks its just a normal cotton cloak.

But in reality....to all that look at the person wearing the cloak....the cloak is a bright yellow or pink neon color drawing peoples attention, making it impossible for someone to snoop around undetected.

Useful for a tracking device?

Maybe a twist....what if the person wearing the cloak thinks its a cloak with invisibility powers?

not too sure about the history either.
"Personally I believe that the purple teletubby has the most potential to become the president.

Anything's better than George Dubya right?

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 03:46:51 AM »
So it is a stronger variant of...

The Curse of Unlimited Familiarity

The cursed character radiates a weak subliminal message. Anyone looking at him, but not knowing him, will get the feeling: I know this guy from somewhere...

This insidious curse does not impart any knowledge about the victim, it merely gives the feeling that the viewer met him somewhere sometime, or remembered him for some reason? Who knows. The feeling is enough to change ones attitude and behaviour towards the cursed character, unlike to a complete stranger. Indeed, it is impossible to be a complete stranger to anyone, or blend into the crowd. While it can be exploited at times, the poor character will soon feel awkward, people behaving strangely around him.

DM Tip:
any role-playing with people not familiar with the group will most probably be done through the victim, or somewhat distorted by his presence. And there should be much role-playing based on this curse only.

The curse does not force any negative or positive emotions towards the wearer. Of course, people can make whatever assumptions they want, and they will. Once recognized, they treat the victim according to their experience. Anyone forgetting the character will be again subject to the curse' effects.

from http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=235.0
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Cardillotang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 03:56:40 AM »
Hmmmm...yeah that pretty much sums it up. I guess the difference is that the person effected doesnt know that they were effected....and its an item.

Then again the curse could be put on someone without them knowing.

Yeah I was not familiar with the "Curse of Unlimited Familiarity".
"Personally I believe that the purple teletubby has the most potential to become the president.

Offline Dragon Lord

• Apprentice
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 08:05:56 AM »
Hey Cardillotang - sounds pretty neat - why not write the item up fully and post it on the main Items page
All hail the Dragon Masters

Offline Cardillotang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »
Sure thing.

Actually Dragon Lord I already did.

Offline Dragon Lord

• Apprentice
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 09:24:24 AM »
Thanks Cardillotang just spotted it – quite liked it too
All hail the Dragon Masters

Offline Cardillotang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 10:35:50 PM »
Thanks. I think I'm gonna start looking through older items trying to put a new spin on things...considering thats how I came up with this cloak idea.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Re: "Simple Deception"
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 01:04:04 AM »
Quote from: "Cardillotang"
But in reality....to all that look at the person wearing the cloak....the cloak is a bright yellow or pink neon color drawing peoples attention... what if the person wearing the cloak thinks its a cloak with invisibility powers?
In a strongly fashion-conscious society (or subset) such a gauche and gaudy item would get the wearer consciously avoided and ignored.  This is especially true for someone foreign to that culture or subset. Imagine this scenario:  an adventurer is given the "cloak of invisibility" by the Wize Old Alchemist (tm).  
"But it's a hideous, bright pink."
"Doesn't matter; you're invisible."
The intrepid adventurer then proceeds to invade the Emperor's ball, "invisibly."  All of the courtiers refuse to sully their eyes by gazing upon the spectacle, and none would admit to doing so, so the conversation doesn't even stop when the adventurer "sneaks" past.  At most, they might roll their eyes, but none wouldd dare to do so if the "invisible" intruder or their peers would see.

This is a great idea, one I can work into my next session, thanks.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Cardillotang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Simple Deception"
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »
No problem, I'm glad my idea came in handy!