llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best Idea Site I've ever seen  (Read 765 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Monument

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Best Idea Site I've ever seen
« on: July 07, 2005, 01:39:10 AM »
Hi everyone.  As per the request of the site admins, I am here to introduce myself.

After a long absence, I find myself back into gaming once again, now that I have time.  We used to play a whole bunch of games in high school and college, and primarily played AD&D, Second Edition, and this is what I recently begain to play again with some old college buddies.  I know they've advanced the game to 3rd Edition+, but the second edition rules are what we played back in the day, it's what we have books for, and it is what we are used to, and being a group of (somewhat) old farts, we are reluctant to embrace new things  ;) .  We are happy to play with those mechanics.  However, it's nice to see a site that is more interested in the ideas of gaming than in the mechanics itself.

After perusing the site as a guest for quite some time, I found it to be a haven of constructive response for ideas put forth.  I have, in fact, used several of the ideas here, tweaked appropriately, for our games of late.

I have some initial questions:

The method for posting ideas is not immediately clear to me.  I have several character concepts that are fully fleshed out that I wouldn't mind sharing, but I haven't, as yet, been able to determine how exactly one goes about submitting the ideas.  Perhaps I just need to look around a bit more.  However, if I don't figure it out, I'm sure some kind soul will point me in the right direction.

Also, the ideas I have include naming conventions and locations that are specific to our home-grown world, and reference happenings in our game that will not be specifically laid out at the time.  While the references to places and events might be fleeting, I was curious to see what the general feeling on such things are.  Is it acceptable to reference home-grown entities not fully described in the ideas submitted?  The locations, in particular, would be unfamiliar to the reader.

That said, I look forward to hearing constructive criticism on my ideas and concepts, and will hope to provide like constructive responses to any ideas that the rest of you post.  Quite honestly, this is the thing that I find most appealing about role playing, the fleshing out of ideas, the story telling, the characters.  The mechanics are secondary to me, if the idea is cool, it's GOING to work, because I'll make it work, mechanics be d**ned.

I look forward very much to contributing, and hope that you find my contributions useful.

Thanks!  Monument
Monument

Offline Callista Miala Moonshade

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:48:36 AM »
Welcome Monument2 to strolen your right this is the best Idea site ever, and the people in it ain't that bad either but watch out for some, they seem to like pie for some reason  :D  and some are just plain weired just like me hehehehehehe  :lol:  but i ain't bad either hope you stay for a more than a few day visit and keep coming back you don't understand how frustrating it is to leave and then come back to find that all of your RPG's ain't going anywhere because you left and you can't carry on if you ain't on right, right, right am i right, yeah right, am i am i ok sorry :oops:  will stop now anyway better say welcome then go before i get into one of my frenzies mmmmm you know what pie does seem a good idea at the moment 'pulls a big piece of pie out of dressing gown pocket and takes a large bite out of it' mmmmmmmmm chocolate and gravy yum hehehe
'What goes up!! Must come down,"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Never mind the bollocks, here's CAPTAIN PENGUIN!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 03:11:13 AM »
How's it goin', aye?

I'm Cap, or CP, or whatever the s**t you want to call me.

1. Characters!
Go to bottom of Forum and see link, name of "Home". Click that. Go to uppermost group of links on the left, where it says NPCs. Click that (NPCs). At the top of the character list there should be a link reading "Submit A Character" or something to that affect.

2. Setting Crap
Indeed, that is allowed. In fact, you might say that it is encouraged- I haven't seen anyone say that anything about including parts of your own setting-specific material was bad. I do it all the time, I know. So go ahead. Unless the reference is totally not understandable, in which case leave it out, or do something to explain it a touch.

3. Glad to have you aboard!
We always love new members, and experienced ones are especially welcomed. So dive right in, mate!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 05:53:53 AM »
Welcome Monument! Very happy you are now registered and am excited about your enthusiasm.

Now that you are registered there may be a few things that pop out as you start browsing again. The submit links and voting links aren't visible to 'lurkers' so now that you are registered you should be able to see the links that allow you to submit. Each category on the main page will have their own submission links where CP pointed to.

The stuff that is specific to your homegrown world can fit in a number of places each depending on the completeness of it. You can put it in the main site or some might be more appropriate for the Setting Forge in the forum. If you put it in the forum and desire feedback on specific parts, it is best to ask for it. Often the settings are just enjoyed without comments if they look like complete ideas.

Don't worry too much about where you put stuff, if it would fit better somewhere else we can move it. We are just happy to see the creativity flow wherever it happens.

Welcome to the site!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.