llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Steampunk Setting ("New Setting, Which To Choose")  (Read 8755 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Steampunk Setting ("New Setting, Which To Choose")
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:02:49 PM »
I have a couple new ideas for settings, not real detailed yet, but which one do you all think is the most interesting and workable?

-A pseudomedieval steampunk setting, somewhat along the lines (okay, basically my own version) of Moon's beloved Iron Kingdoms. Steam-armored knights with electrified stormswords battle a Renaissance-Italy style sinister Merchant's Guild, with horrible mechanical-undead monsters and dark magic.

-A world where humans are trespassers from through the Wondrous Door; many bizarre races, places, and things; doing my own version of a high-magic fantasy. Influenced heavily by Spira from Final Fantasy X.

-A world forsaken by it's gods, who once dwelt upon it's surface. Leaving the City of the Gods empty and abandoned, they vanished, leaving human beings to live upon their own in the strange and terrible places of the world. In addition, the world is dying, losing vitality, the once-verdant plains becoming fields of grey dust, the forests sagging into dark, rotten swamps. In addition, beaches of rusting machinery on an ocean of oil, dark metropoli of gothic skyscrapers and insane, decadent people, et cetera, et cetera.

-Something else. You make a suggestion on what I should do.

So, what will it be?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
Centas Development and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:44:23 AM »
How about a world so diverse that it has elements of all three?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 06:27:22 AM »
The first option
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 06:36:22 AM »
Quote from: "Ancient Gamer"
The first option

What he said. I'd prefer that anyway.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 09:16:04 AM »
I voted Forsaken World. More my style. Then again, I enjoyed Waterworld.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 10:07:42 AM »
Medieval / early Renaissance Magi-Punk or Steam Punkish games are a current facination for me.  What a suprise for the way I voted.

[rant]
People say, "Magic prevents technological change." To that I say, Bs**t. Magic is normally kept in the hands of a small few and is not powerful enough that these people are In Charge. I mean, in few games or worlds are the nobles the possessors of Mystical powers. So if magic is not that powerful or important, how could these people prevent technological advance? Magic can slow it down slightly, as magic could recruite people who would advance technology. Yet at the same time, there are people who will be looking for a way to do things without magic, so they don't have to pay the mage. It might push technology into different directions, but it won't stop the advance.

Some people look at the middle ages and say, "See technology stopped." Technology only stopped because Europe became a tradition orriented society, ruled by fear of huns/ goths/ viking. Without an ALL POWERFUL CENTRAL CHURCH, enforcing tradition and focusing people on the next world, not this one, there would of been no five plus century dark ages, a generation or two at most. Most gamers do not want a Christian/ Catholic church (what are they, afraid the Pope will come and smite them... or that they might offend someone). Without such a central anchor, focusing people away from the material world and this life, material life will move on.

Just some thoughts
[/rant]
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:28:16 PM »
I voted for the steampunk world. That sounds the best one to me.  :D

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 04:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "Strolen"
I voted Forsaken World. More my style. Then again, I enjoyed Waterworld.

You know, there are therapy groups for people like you. Waterworld.... my head shakes. After viewing it, my opinion of Beast Master actually improved.

ARRRRGGHHHHHH!!!! FLASHBACKS....

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 06:24:18 PM »
:)

Wondered how that went uncommented on for so long. Beastmaster...haha

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Since It Looks Like Steampunk...
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 07:12:09 PM »
Here are my ideas for a steampunk setting. Please note that they'll probably be heavily influenced by the books of China Mieville and the Iron Kingdoms setting...

-Small city-states (possibly formed in the breakdown of a large empire) scattered throughout wild territories. Almost all of the city-states are at war or hostile, while some form petty alliances which are as soon broken as made.

-The technology is based on steam, clockwork, and highly mystical, alchemical science-magic. For instance, warriors clad in steam-powered armor, with electric stormswords powered by Rhugoth coils...
"Elyctric particles and thaumaturgons in the air are drawn in by the sciomagnetic vortex of the Rhugoth coil. They are compiled and compressed together in the energy index of the engine, and then pressurized through the anaxamantic line into the stormsword's conductor chamber as a mass of thaumaturgic elyctricity."

-The undead are one of the main threats. They are hideous blendings of corpse and machine, their bones and dry flesh painted with dark necromantic sigils and tattooes; undead warriors are towering, black skeletons encased in steam-armor, while zombies are corpses inlayed with engines and pipes, with clockwork joints. Liches are incased in huge necromantic rigs. (They also need some sort of dark leader)

-Steam-powered air-craft and spider-like vehicles are not uncommon, as well as trains- the railways are extremely important and bridge every possible region. Each city-state has it's own network of rails, which frequently run side-by-side; wartrains and locomotives full of soldiers frequently clash in the midst of the snowy mountains or what have you.

-Possibly steam-mechs, though I'm not sure if I want to go that close to Iron Kingdoms

-Firearms are common, but so are good old swords and axes. Alchemical rockets and good old fire arrows (made of metal and coated in oil) fly side-by-side at the attackers; the walls are breached by huge thaumaturgic charges.

-Firearms are flintlocks and the like- some have developed rapid-fire pistols, like six-shooters. The favored weapon of the adventurer is a flintlock. Imagine a man in thick armor of leather with plates of metal, wearing a heavy helm, carrying all manner of small packages and bandoliers on his belt, cracking off shots with a flintlock and then ducking for protection behind a shield.
Imagine a man with a bow (or crossbow) which fires clockwork spring-arrows which spring out extra blades and spikes, or fires spinning sawblades.

These are the ideas I have right now. Can anybody give me some more ideas or pointers (Moon, I'm looking your way)?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 07:15:25 PM »
Should I have other races in this setting? Possibly add in the alien elves I talked about a long time ago?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 12:45:41 AM »
Tentative name for the setting- The Hundred, or, possibly, the Thousand. Something like that. The Hundred sounds most poetic.
References the hundreds and hundreds of tiny city-states.

Religion: I like the idea of a monotheistic religion for once, perhaps, but as is my wont, if I did do so, it would be a mystical and esoteric religion, with heavy use of ritual, with masked priests and secret hymnbooks and such.

Another idea is using the Enlightenment Deism- a god who created the universe, and then walked away- a distant, unknowable creator, so distant, in fact, that it might as well not even matter.

Or, I could do something stranger- a Buddhism-like religion, or something syncretic and highly localized, like the spirituality of China.

But in regards to religion, I want to stay away from the same old pantheism.

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 07:33:20 AM »
I like the idea of having other races in this setting. Perhaps we could all come up with one,eh?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 01:01:13 AM »
Would there be a disparity between the various city-states,regarding technology? And how would religon and a conservative clergy thrive in a world where science flourishes?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 04:42:27 PM »
Of course there would- there would be some notably powerful cities, and some which would probably fall under the control of one of those powerful cities as a hegemon.

Perhaps that is one of the world's conflicts- the Church against the Mechanists or what-have-you. However, in a fantasy world, the conflict might not be there- the existence of steam technology does not preclude the existence of magic in this setting, and neither do the sciences necessarily reveal anything about the universe which contradicts the teachings of the Church; or perhaps they do, but the Church has not {like the Catholic Church during the Enlightenment} billed itself as the ultimate arbiter of all truths, and thus is willing to acknowledge that there are some things about the world that it has not percieved correctly.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
A very few of the Hundred
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
Here are a very few of the Hundred; these are city-states of greater or lesser power. Some, like Simblios, are hegemons who rule in all but name much of the surrounding area and surrounding cities. Others, like Peklichr, are powerful on their own.

Xhiklus
The legendary Metal City, Xhiklus lies at the nexus of a great network of railways amidst the Oxhidaizen Plains. Xhiklus is an ancient city, and has the distinction of having been constructed entirely of metal, at least for the most part. The elder districts of the city are known as being among the most beautiful and strange architecture in the world, while the New Districts (those not constructed from iron) are known to be incredibly populous, and a place to find any product imaginable. A large part of the workforce of Xhiklus is occupied in keeping the Iron Districts clean, shiny, and free of rust, which is a constant job.
Xhiklus maintains a large standing army which answers directly to the Diktator of Xhiklus. A new Diktator is elected every ten years by the army, and is generally chosen from the ranks of the High Kommanders, though there are several instances of influential civilians being chosen.

Peklichr
Peklichr lies on the coast of the Heavy Sea, with the rugged Pangloss Mountains above it, and has grown fat off the bounties brought it by trade. Peklichr is connected by the Heavy Sea to the rich states of Mehmoriumh and Rehmnisenz on the opposite coast. Peklichr is known for it's vast industrial sector, and is often called the Smoky City for the clouds of smog and ash which roll across the skyline. Peklichr, in it's far past (roughly a thousand years ago), was once a city in the Ugromantic Dominion, and still retains in it's architecture and (somewhat) in it's language traces of those ancient people and the worship of their strange pagan gods.
Peklichr is ruled by an oligarchic Council of Eleven. Each Councilor sits on the Council for a life term, or until they resign. At some point during their term (generally near the end, though there is no set time), a Councilor designates an heir to take their seat on the Council. Peklichr's Council is highly elitist, and there have been only a very, very few Councilors in it's history which were not of the city's upper classes.

Simblios
As ancient, if not older, than Xhiklus, Simblios is known far and wide for it's incredibly intricate, baroque, and ancient architecture, it's monumental towers and fortresses, and it's huge size. Lying on the great Thadar River (which flows into the Black Gulf), Simblios has the huge and fertile farmlands of the Tar Epar Van to the north, the swamps of Shavpek on the south, and the Black Gulf and Mr. Krahn's Sea on the east. It is also known for it's crime, it's pollution, it's Byzantine corruption, and the despotic, immortal rule of the Emperor of Simblios, a man who has held the title for 400 years. Simblios is the largest of all the cities of the Hundred, and it's influence matches it's size- it is the leader of a hegemony of satrapies, client states, "advised" cities, nations "indefinitely occupied", and a host of states so frightened of the vast power of Simblios and it's truly awe-inspiring army that they follow it like a flock of frightened sheep. In all but governmental acknowledgement, this is the Simblian Empire, and most cartographers note it as so, though officially, there is no such country.
Simblios maintains a vast, powerful, and highly advanced army, including a war-fleet, an air-navy, and numerous small mercenary groups kept on constant payroll. Simblios is always working on the "next big project", and espionage from other states into Simblios frequently involves the crippling or halting of the Empire's next secret weapon or great ritual.

Ala Spirult
This young city lies within the Spirult Valley, amidst the vast Towering Forest. Ala Spirult gained it's industrial technologies and factory functionality largely through underground dealings with Mundrung, with which it maintains a cordial relationship. Ala Spirult has very little in the way of monumental or beautiful architecture- it is a well-planned, clean, neat, but uninspiring town, with an industrious, hard-working populace. Ala Spirult is know for having the finest trainyards north of the Pangloss Mountains.
Ala Spirult is ruled by the Democratic Council, a group of 40 representatives (one from each neighborhood of Ala Spirult) who meet twice a year to produce laws.

Mundrung
Mundrung lies in the cradle of the north, amidst dark, chilly pine forests, where the sky is always overcast, and the craggy mountains roil with mist. Mundrung is a large city (it is often fancied "the Giant of the North") who's culture is a synthesis of old and new- much of Mundrung's populace is part of the Anteknophelii, a philosophical movement which rejects much of the technology and machina of the world. Thus, Mundrung is home to both huge timber halls and great clockwork towers, bearded mountain men and goggled alchemists, and has a reputation as a wild and somewhat lawless city. Mundrung is the unofficial leader of a small group of northern states, and has the largest rail network of any of them (though in the lawless north, train robberies are a frequent problem).
Mundrung is currently ruled by King Agrul II of the House of Viblust. The Viblust Dynasty has ruled Mundrung for a very long time, and many anticipate that, as Agrul still has not produced an heir with his chill and fruitless wife (a woman of the South), he will be the last of them.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
CREATE A RACE!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
Maggot, I'm stealin' your idea!

I invite everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to create a new race for my steampunk setting.
But wait before you post, because I have guidelines.

The GUIDELINES!

1. It Must Be Strange, But Not Too Strange
This seems contradictory, but let me explain: I want new, unique, strange stuff that will make people say "Hey, cool, that's new." I want stuff that's unusual- tall fly-men with human bodies and faces but with compound eyes, fly wings, and long probosci; worm-people in which the males are just giant grubs with human faces, while the women are human-looking but with bizarre genitalia; vine-folk with long, thin bodies made of thorny vines; feathery, humpbacked crow-folk; two-faced (not two-headed) beings... These are the kinds of things I want.
But keep in mind, that nothing too strange- I don't want any walking spiky barrels, or giant tentacle bundles. Nothing psionic, or two-bodies-one-individual types, and I don't want any repackaged lizardmen or anthropomorphic types. I can do that on my own.
As for the race's origin... Nothing extradimensional. Aliens, I could probably work with. But nothing from "the Ethereal Plane" or what-have-you.

2. It Must Fit
It can't be something that is something really out-of-sync with the rest of the setting. It has too fit in, at least somehow, in some way. This ties in with the above.

3. Not Too Powerful
Not too many crazy powers. It's fine if the race can see in the dark, crawl on walls, fly short distances, breath water (I'd enjoy aquatic races), talk with their minds maybe, other stuff of that nature...
No superhero-ish powers, no psionics (like I said), no supermagic, no instant killage.

4. I Have Final Say
I have the final say on your race- I will decide whether or not to include it, and if I want to keep the race but change a detail or two, I'll do it (unless you object stridently and give me a good reason).

So... If you're hankering to make a race, why not submit to help me out?

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 03:28:12 AM »
Just a few scattered ideas:  

Is technology inherently separate from magic, or are they seen as parts of a greater whole?  That is, technology can be seen as a type of magic (as in Midian), or magic can be a type of science (as in Full Metal Alchemist).  

The church need not be opposed to technology. In the Meat World, the survival of older knowledge through the Dark Ages was in large part to the preservation and study of priests and monks. Granted, things got a bit wonky in that respect later on... However, traditionally the Catholic Church has supported the study of science, and was (and still is) aiding scholars and scientists in their studies.  Any monotheistic religion that believes it's deity created the universe is likely to see the study of science as learning more about their god.  In this setting, that could mean that the church has many brilliant inventors and scientists, and a cadre of the best mercenaries donated money can buy.  

As for what weapons to focus upon, look to the pc's. Here is where munchkin players have a vital role as fleshing-out agents in game design.  If they all gravitate exclusively towards big mecha, you don't need to worry about personal weapons as much, or you should scale back the power level of mechs.  Similarly, if you want swords & axes to still be viable weapons--and the munchkins use those only as back-up weapons, then you need to rebalance things.  

For a race, I propose aquatic people.  

The first species is vertebrate and humanoid. They are friendlier and more likely to trade with other city-states.  In appearance they are tall and lanky, with light greenish-grey skin, webbed digits, and dark, sunken, unblinking eyes. Large gills frame either side of their long necks.  They are exclusively aquatic, and will "drown" in air.  They utilise special sealed armour that holds and aerates water.  As an alternative, a harness or even implants can serve the same role.  In personality, they are known as a laconic and frustratingly patient people. Terse replies and long pauses are the norm for them.  

The second species is an aquatic vegetable.  Their form is completely non-humanoid, and a human not familiar with them may not even realise that they are sentient.  They are not an industrially gifted people, but make delicate and artistic--if strange--artefacts.  Even common tools are oddly attractive, with visual motion--it "flows"--in whatever direction force is applied via that tool.  What they lack in heavy industry, they make up for in long study.  Their mages have decades-long apprenticeships, with the master-apprentice bond never fully broken.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 05:47:01 AM »
Just a suggestion,Kinslayer,but you might want to move your ideas for a race to a similar thread in the Flesh It Out section where the other race entries have been submitted.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
Religion: I like the idea of a monotheistic religion for once, perhaps, but as is my wont, if I did do so, it would be a mystical and esoteric religion, with heavy use of ritual, with masked priests and secret hymnbooks and such.

Another idea is using the Enlightenment Deism- a god who created the universe, and then walked away- a distant, unknowable creator, so distant, in fact, that it might as well not even matter.

But in regards to religion, I want to stay away from the same old pantheism.

okay
Lets take a couple of things and put it together.
-A pseudomedieval steampunk setting, somewhat along the lines Steam-armored knights with electrified stormswords battle a Renaissance-Italy style sinister Merchant's Guild, with horrible mechanical-undead monsters and dark magic.  And Undead are the major bad things...

This should bring us to :
An old church... with a deep and mysterious single deity. He who created everything. His twin is the balancing force of the universe. (Hmmm. How Mithric...) Things should follow his plan... the way things always have been.

The One Grand Church: It will have tons of history, ritual, and mystery. So each day is a saint's day, there are various ritual seasons, tons of obscure holidays and a few regular ones. (masked priests and odd languages inserted here.) There are various sects inside the church, just like there was various order inside the Catholic Church.  Sects all have similar beliefs, but differ on quibbling points and emphasis of certain matters of philosphy. Rather than having Reformation, there are various sects of the Church whos popularity ebb and flow. (So there will be strict sects, their will be liberal sects, there will be sects inbetween).

The church also supported the Divine Right of rulership. That those that had the Mantle of Heaven were required by The Deity to be rulers. When someone was unworthy, it was the right, nay the responsibility of the choosen to take the Mantle from those that had it before. So until recently, they supported the Kings, nobles, and feudal-esk system. (In many ways they still do)

Remember that their may be nobles who rule, but the merchant houses have the money... thus the real power. Nobles play the houses off each other to improve their own power.

The dominant (old) view: Deity and his plans were unknowable to material beings. We simply had to have faith that The Deity's plan is good and just.

Of course, the Deity's twin is his opposition. Without the Dark surrounding it, there is now way for light to exist. So without his twin, there is now seperation for him to create with. The Deity was trying to help his twin to achieve an equal skill in making and give the twin knowledge of way of the world, but his twin is rejecting that help to "do it on his own".  He is jelous of his brother's brilliance and people's adoration of him.  So he created his own elements to place in the brother's universe. These are dark elements, lesser corruptions of what The Deity made. He is the source of demons, monsters, and broken things.

Hubris is now a serious sin in most sect's view

There was probably a sect of "balance" inside the church, worshiping "The Dark Twin" equally. It became a large and powerful sect. That sect probably fell to corruption. It started the Dark Wars, which lead to all the zombies and undead.

A few people probably received the Dark One's Gift. These Thanes, uberpowerful magic users, set themselves up as lords.. taking apart the existing kingdoms and making their own landscape. (In fact they had taken up the Mantle of Heavens.) In the begining this seemed very "in line" with The One Grand Church doctrine, especially since Sects of Balance and Dark Twin were popular. Thane rule fell into madness (as each one seeked to fufill their own depraved needs), thus changing the world to fit their desires, and paranoia of the other Thanes. Big War between the Thanes. This provided the motivation for people to rebel.  Since straight magic was the providence of the Thanes, other applications were needed. This lead to the steam powered technomagic which has lead to the revolution. The Power of the Thanes is broken. The Dark Twin is now seen as the "bad guy"/ poor relative he used to be. and the church trundles on.

There are still those that venerate the Dark Twin, hoping to be granted Thane or subthane status. They just do such in secret.

Most Sects are still Old View. They oppose all this change and technology. They want things back the way they were, as technology reminds them of the Dark Thane Wars.

The new view is similar to The Enlightenment's Clockwork Deity. God was seen as creating the universe with specific laws and intricately put together parts, winding it up, then just watching it from there. Involved in the begining, knows what should happen, but is not involved in the day to day happening.  The things of his twin are the dirt in the works, resistance, wear of the parts, etc.   The Deity will occasionally fix these things.

The church is having a schism between these two views, and the churches general anagonism to technology and change.

Your thoughts?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 03:19:51 PM »
Kinslayer:
Your races have officially been stolen, and will fit in nicely with Maggot's up-coming snapping-turtle-people.
The humanoid ones are smooth-skinned and lack nostrils, and their gills fan out around their necks like widely-flaring, wing-looking collars.

I find both the science-as-magic and magic-as-science interesting ideas, but I think that having science considered magical is something that fits better in Ageratos than in this setting. So for all intents and purposes, sorcerors in this setting are scientists.

I'm getting to Moon's right away, but it seems like I'll probably yank his ideas.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Faith
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 12:34:56 AM »
The people of the Hundred refer to their religion simply as the Faith.
Simply put, the Faith is the worship of the Deity (or God; the Deity is favored in official texts, while God is favored in common discussion) as the principle of rightness (note that it is rightness, not necessarily goodness; the Faithful hold goodness as a quality of perception, while rightness is an absolute quality) in the world.
The Deity is opposed and reflected by the Shadow Himself (also called the Demiurge, the Dark One or Dark Twin, or simply the Shadow) who is the principle of wrongness (not necessarily evil) in the world (though worshippers of the Shadow see it somewhat differently).

The Deity (along with the Shadow Himself, who was the shadow cast by the Deity at the beginning of time) stood at the start of ages and observed the emptiness. Seeking to fulfill the emptiness within him, the Deity forged the world from the bone and flesh of his right arm. Mortals often percieve the things which God has made as good.
The Shadow Himself, seeing the Deity's creation, became jealous. He reasoned (correctly, some say) that he, as twin to God, was equal, and was as entitled to create. So he asked the Deity to show him how to create. God took the Shadow over the world and tried to teach him how to create, how to make rightness. But the Shadow didn't want to follow God like an emulator, and wished, instead, to do things his way. So the Shadow took the bone and flesh of his left arm and created his own elements, which entered the world, and which are often percieved by mortals as evil.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 12:35:33 AM »
How's that for a start, Moon?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Adventure Log: The Sart
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »
I'm trying something new...
I'm going to store the info from my campaign here.
Right now, all they've done is create characters and then recieve a job, but I'm keeping you all filled in.

The Heroes
Thus far, there are two. Both are trained warriors with a small amount of previous adventuring experience. Please keep in mind that I am very open-minded when it comes to starting equipment, but don't allow very powerful items (clockwork or magical).

Bamph
Bamph is a quick warrior who fights to overwhelm his foes. Born in Little Baundero, a client-city of the great state of Simblios, Bamph left his home with his father in search of work in Simblios. While his father found work in a factory producing strange eating utensils for undersea races, Bamph went on to gain a minor half-degree in Combat Philosophy.
Bamph is tall, pale, and brown-haired with high cheekbones. He wears a suit of armor he likes to call his "fencing plate", a close-fitting leather suit with thin plates of light metal covering it. He wields a rapier in combat (it suits his bold style), and has a double-barrelled flintlock in store when he cannot get close enough (which is a rare occurence). He also possesses a telestethon, an combined telescope-listening-device tool for espionage.

Baudolino
Baudolino is a dead-aim gunfighter. Raised in the slums of Simblios, he has a very forward and abrasive manner (though some would say he was simply rude). He ran with a street gang until the age of 19, when he departed Simblios for 2 years to learn from the Flintlock Monks in the Pangloss Mountains, where he learned his amazing gun skills.
Baudolino is olive-skinned and black-haired, with a hawk nose. He wears a knee-length greatcoat and high leather boots which were both gifts from his gang upon his departure. He constantly carries his binocular goggles around his forehead. His armaments are many- his favored weapons are a dual set of flintlocks. He also carries his trusty throwing axe, and a heavy broadsword. On his wrist he wears a round shield reinforced with iron.

The Hook

Baudolino (returning for the first time to Simblios in 2 years) and Bamph (already searching for employment) were strangers, but met each other when both arrived at an interview with the Procurator of Security of the Simblios Guild of Business.
Striding in from the vast campus of the Business Guild grounds, the two adventurers eyed each other suspiciously as they stood in the ornate and baroque entry chamber.
The receptionist rose to greet them and queried them on their purpose in the Guild Security Office, to which both replied that they were here for the interview about the job.
The receptionist led Bamph and Baudolino into the depths of the Security Office, through ornately-decorated, gold-leafed halls, to a large and baroque dining room, with alcoves filled with pre-steam armor and strange sculptures, and a long mahogany table.
They were led to the opposite end (here left the receptionist), where they met their employer, Mr. Tunuestorm.
Mr. Tunuestorm was a truly digusting individual- if there had been a deity of Fat, this would be the man. Having at least eight chins, his entire bulk rippled as he spoke. As Bamph and Baudolino entered, he was, of course, eating (some sort of gravy-stewed monkey). He had a mirthful expression with small, piggy eyes.
Next to Tunuestrom sat a second man, dressed all in black. Even the lace at his throat was black; his buttons were black, his rings, and his collar and wristpieces, all black. His skin had a greyish pallor, his features severe and sharp, and his head was bald, and tattooed with swirling black and blue tattooes. He eyed the adventurers in a predatory manner.
As Bamph raised an eyebrow, and Baudolino looked on in open disgust, Tunuestorm said:
"Good day, gentlemen! It is good to see that such fine individuals have come for the appointment. Generally, those we hire are not as punctual as we would like. Your names?"
Baudolino and Bamph gave their names tersely.
"But in any case, allow me to introduce myself- I am Adholfr Tunuestorm. This is my associate, Professor Anz Breughlii, a scientist specializing in necromancy," Mr. Tunuestorm said, gesturing limply towards the pale, tattooed man.
"I suppose you should like to know the details of your employment? Well, then. The Shipping Clan (one of this Guild's more notable members) has recently recieved an extremely important and lucrative contract to transport a very secret object (and no, I shall not tell you what it is). The catch is, we cannot transport it by rail, nor by ship because our contractor requires it in an... unusual locale; and the contractor has forbidden us from taking it by air, for whatever reason. Thus, we must transport it overland by wagon; a vast bother.
"The area into which we are taking it is a wild area (dreadfully wild!) and is, unfortunately, rife with all manner of horrid beasts and probably bandits (those human rats).
"Thus we come to the point: we need guards for our wagon. And that is where you come in."
Mr. Breughlii passed a sheet of paper across the table. With a slight accent he said: "That will be your pay."
Bamph and Baudolino each looked at the paper. The olive-skinned man whistled appreciatively.
Thus began the journey of Bamph and Baudolino.

Offline Anteaus

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Ponderings
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »
Ok I love the steam punk idea, and strongly encourage all of you reading this to go find Newton's Cannon or The Calculus of Angels both of which are part of The Age of Unreason by J. Gregory Keyes.  And I would like to know which books (if any) you are reading for ideas along these lines. (and is this going to become a game on one of the forums???? Please????)
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." --John Lehman (1942 - ), Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987