llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Google-Fu  (Read 7454 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Google-Fu
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 12:55:58 AM »
The young student bang his head against the keyboard. When he looked up at the SiFu, his forehead was waffled by the keyboard.

"I can not find what I am looking for in a forum," he said shamefully.

"The solution is simple waffle boy, "

If you enter subject/ keyword site:forum.rpg.net into google, you should be able to turn up the subject/ keyword on thier forum.

On Strolen's  use  site:www.strolen.com/guild/ 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
I always hit the link farm of every site I go to.  Sure, I have seen some of these pages before (gaming is a small world after all), but there is always some new blog or site that will captivate me for at least a good 20 minutes, possible more.

I also email myself sites to go look at. So when I am cleaning out all the extra emails in my inbox, I have a note to go check this site.

Go learn to speed read and get a typing tutor program.  Really, these skills are foremost in the Google-Fu arsenal.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
How can I find the exact phrase I want?
The way to tell Google to look for an exact phrase, paying strict attention to word order, is to surround your search phrase with double quotes.  Here is an example, if you were trying to find the phrase red eagles you would type the search phrase ?red eagles? with the double quotes into the Google search box.

The exact search phrase should appear like this: ?red eagles?

How can I filter out search results that I don?t want?
Google allows you to filter out search results that contain certain words which don?t interest you.  Let?s say that you wanted to find Dice on the web, but you don?t want any beer that comes from a microbrewery.  To tell Google that you don?t want any search results that contain the word microbrewery you precede that word with a minus sign, also known as a dash (?_?).

Your search phrase in this example should look like this: beer -microbrewery

How do I tell Google one  search word is more important than another?
When you enter multiple words as a search phrase, Google tries it?s best to find the most relevant results that contain all or some of the words in your search phrase. However, sometimes you want Google to know that there are certain words in your search phrase that must be in every search result, or you are not interested in that search result.  The way to do this is to precede the word you want to make mandatory by preceding it with a plus (?+?) sign. To demonstrate, you are looking for Red Corvettes, and you don?t want any search results that contain only Red Sports Car but don?t contain the word Corvettes .  You would prefix the word Corvette with a plus sign to tell Google that all search results must contain the word Corvette.

For this example your search phrase would look like this: Red+Corvette Sports Cars

Where can I learn more about what Google is working on for the future?
Google has a special group that focuses on creating and testing the next generation of search (and other) technologies before they are released to the general public. You can see the latest offerings from google on their Google Labs page.  I shold make you google it, but here is the link.

http://www.googlelabs.com/

Now other search engines will use these commands, but might have commands that are different.  Search better with them by looking for advanced search options and entering advanced search (website) and see what comes up.

And Remember, Robots Rule   www.robotsrule.com
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©