0 (0%)
Book Store
1 (20%)
1 (20%)
I only do free stuff from the Web
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: June 24, 2005, 12:21:46 PM

Author Topic: Where do you buy game stuff?  (Read 897 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Where do you buy game stuff?
« on: June 24, 2005, 12:21:46 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Friendly Local Game Store is closing. After years of patronage and buying things there I knew I could get cheaper, the store is closing as the owner is retiring at the end of the store's lease. Tears for the end of an era.

I should not complain too much. I have stores near by; some do not. I can take a notable trip and reach a really good FLGS. I can take a trip about half that distance, and reach a well stocked LGS, note - lack of friendly. Or I could go to the half hearted attempt to be a game store at a local comics shop (though it is the place for clix and ccgs). But, I didn't like to patronize them before... and that really has not changed.

I am thinking about online stores. So what online sites do you buy game stuff from, if any? Is the site you go to convenient? Do the orders come in on quicly? Is it cheaper than retail? Please advise me as to your experience.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
In the ancient days we had this really small bookshop crammed with books run by a few roleplaying young men. Some might call them a bit "nerdy", but they were really great at what they did. They knew everything there was to know.
They closed up. There was not enough interest for RPG's, imported comics,
rare books and so on and so forth...
Now, years later it's a trend! Nobody remembers those poor suckers who tried to make a living a few years ago. Nooo. Now we have a big store called outland with stupid people in it who think they are american vampires!

End of rant.

I can take this no further, it weights to heavy upon me' heart.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »
Given my geographical proximity to the buckle of the Baptist Bible belt, game stores are rather scarce around East Tennessee. There are a few in Knoxville, but that is easily an hour drive, and that's hoping for light traffic. Since moving here, all of my books have either come directly from the game designers online stores (insert suitable White-Wolf.com plug here) or from the ephemeral wonderland that is eBay.

I've only been burnt twice on eBay, but the money that I have saved on my books more than accounts for the money lost on those two transactions.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 05:14:47 PM »
yeah. when I lived in the dorms at school there was a gaming store right up the street and I walked there every Monday, because I had no classes, and drop at least $15 that I couldn't afford to spend, but the store closed in the end of winter and I don't know where the hell I'm going to go for my munchkin expansion packs, Warhammer models, and obscure D&D books that they always seem to have in stock.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Sorloc

• Apprentice
    • http://www.RPGRM.net/forums
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:49:38 PM »
Might I suggest:
http://www.nobleknight.com/
I have always been satisfied with them, and they have lots of hard-to-find stuff.  For someone who would rather hack off all my limbs with a rusty pair of cuticle scissors than get within 20' of anything d20, it is an indispensable site.
Are you ready to Game?
http://www.RPGRM.net/forums