llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Coldforged] Shadows of War  (Read 47020 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged] Shadows of War
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
Shadows are fleet and so is Sharee. There is a logical explanation for this and you know what. Leave it be as it is.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: [Coldforged] Story recap
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »
Here is the recap of the entire tale, told by me to Murometz in preparation of his entry into chapter 2:

[Murometz] 9:26 pm: I have read some...could read more...what I'm not following is how these BIZARRE characters got together, and what exactly are they doing,
etc....
[Ancient Gamer] 9:26 pm: It is in the OOC, the first few pages and in the prologue
[Murometz] 9:27 pm: where are they going?
[Murometz] 9:27 pm: Oh ok...THAT I will read
[Ancient Gamer] 9:27 pm: They were mercs in the hire of Marcus El-Keddath. They got ambushed and the prologue was about their flight from the ambushers
[Murometz] 9:27 pm: its more or less a grim, low-magic fantasy world yes? or is there more I'm missing?
[Murometz] 9:28 pm: so they serve Marcus as mercs..fair enough...so there is n great grand secret that I need to "be in on"?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:28 pm: Yes. You are right. There is more, of course, but I have not the time to tell you all that. The world is low magic, but some of the
characters have gotten divine tattoos grafted onto their bodies
[Ancient Gamer] 9:29 pm: No. In chapter one they realize that Marcus has used them, betrayed them and corrupted their brethren
[Murometz] 9:29 pm: yeah about that...these tats are important for game play?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:29 pm: *****************Secret info, deleted by AG*********************
[Ancient Gamer] 9:30 pm: The tattoos give them enhanced abilities, but also give them really troubling side effects. It is the concept of Newtonic magic, every
effect has an opposite effect
[Murometz] 9:30 pm: gotcha!
[Ancient Gamer] 9:30 pm: So while every tattoo has some awe inspiring effects, there are also curses and geases that balance the effect
[Murometz] 9:31 pm: fair enough..I like that
[Ancient Gamer] 9:31 pm: In chapter 1, on the mountain, the tattoos positive effects are played upon, making the characters seem way more powerful than they really are
[Murometz] 9:31 pm: now that line is VERY interesting
[Murometz] 9:31 pm: "sem"..nice!
[Murometz] 9:31 pm: seem^
[Murometz] 9:32 pm: ok....what did Marcus hire them to do exactly and what was Marcus doing? fighting back enemies? potecting borders? expanding?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:32 pm: Also: The mountain is the source of the tattoos power. Removing themselves from the mountain brings new revelations, and new
problems
[Ancient Gamer] 9:33 pm: According to the legends and chronicles of Silmaroth (the unified nations of Silmar and Ardamien), the King of Ardamien was in
possession of the Ring of Keldon
[Ancient Gamer] 9:33 pm: The bloodline of the King was vast, but the true King was the one that the Ring chose as its owner
[Murometz] 9:34 pm: ahh...the nitty-gritty..ok...I'll just read..keep typing     
[Ancient Gamer] 9:34 pm: Now the Careshian Empire threatens and has invaded the nation (read the first post of Chapter 1). Some believe they will try to find the ring to install their own puppet regime in Ardamien.
[Ancient Gamer] 9:35 pm: Marcus claimed to be sent by the King to retrieve the long lost ring from the ruined capital of Ur-Keldon
[Ancient Gamer] 9:35 pm: And he hired mercs to join him on the expidition
[Ancient Gamer] 9:35 pm: (the players)
[Ancient Gamer] 9:36 pm: But underway the caravan was ambushed by tattoed mountain tribals known as the Urshenk, claiming to be the kin of the true
Ardamien King
[Murometz] 9:36 pm: and where did teh PCs get their spiffy tatoos? Urshenk?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:37 pm: Marcus fled, the characters fought and nearly died. When they awoke they had been mutilated, devastated by some unseen person
(the Keldon witch possessing the witch Sharee)
[Ancient Gamer] 9:37 pm: The tattoos were cut from the hide of the God-Thing that was the first protector of the city
[Murometz] 9:37 pm: mutilated??!! wow..missed that in forums
[Murometz] 9:38 pm: The tattoos were cut from the hide of the God-Thing that was the first protector of the city- WOW!!!!!
[Ancient Gamer] 9:38 pm: YEah, the centuries old tattoos were sown onto their skin, and Domunsoka even got the God-Things arm grafted onto his body
[Ancient Gamer] 9:38 pm: Yup
[Murometz] 9:38 pm: thats is beautiful concept/visual man!! tatoos ripped from a god's hide! wow...very nice!
[Murometz] 9:39 pm: ok last time...WOW!
[Ancient Gamer] 9:39 pm: Then feverish visions and dreams haunted the players until they awoke on the slopes of the Keldon mountain (present day Mount
Keadle)
[Murometz] 9:39 pm: cut by whom? who enabled the PCs to ge these tats?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:39 pm: They ran into the hills, ascending the mountain
[Murometz] 9:40 pm: and that brings us to the present?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:40 pm: They do not know, but I have given enough hints to reveal that the witch Sharee did it while possessed by the Keldon witch (revealed
later in the game through dialogue and bits of information)
[Ancient Gamer] 9:40 pm: They discovered the camp of the remaining mercs high up on the paths of the mountain
[Ancient Gamer] 9:41 pm: but the camp had been attacked... By their own mercs, now turned traitors led by Marcus
[Murometz] 9:41 pm: so Marcus is unstable? crazy? possessed? or just a bastard
[Ancient Gamer] 9:41 pm: These dark mercenaries turned assassins are the very enemy the players have been fighting in this chapter
[Ancient Gamer] 9:42 pm: Only EchoMirage knows that
[Ancient Gamer] 9:43 pm: So now the characters are closing in on the town square where the Keldon Witch has been stuffed with needles, like some kind of
cactus
[Murometz] 9:43 pm: do they knwo why yet? I'm guessing no..
[Ancient Gamer] 9:43 pm: No
[Murometz] 9:44 pm: does Sharee know she was possessed by same witch?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:44 pm: They know, or rather Dietrich knows though they all hear her screams and have read it
[Murometz] 9:44 pm: 'll be honest...its a tad confusing...but that is what makes it so awesome! multi-layered and complex...can you wait 2 minutes? I gotta go the
restroom     
[Murometz] 9:44 pm: I'm digging this story!
[Murometz] 9:45 pm: brb
[Ancient Gamer] 9:46 pm: Right
[Ancient Gamer] 9:47 pm: The game is full of intrigues. Had it not been confusing, I wouldn't have done my job properly.
[Ancient Gamer] 9:47 pm: So here is a dilemma:
[Ancient Gamer] 9:48 pm: How can ordinary characters, like Roack and Dietrich (and you) co-play with these powerful beings. What fun is there in having no
tattoos when the other guys have these KEWL powers?
[Ancient Gamer] 9:49 pm: Easy reply: Those so called KEWL tattoos are also a REAL BURDEN. The negative effects of the tattoos, combined with the turns of
the story, will render the tattooed characters helpless in certain situations wherein you guys are their only hope.
[Ancient Gamer] 9:51 pm: Restrictions will be placed on the tattoed indivduals... Social restrictions (GET AWAY FROM ME FREAK), physical restrictions (curses
and geases) and other, yet unexplored restrictions. True, the tattoos offer quite some excitement, but also introduce a real element of roleplaying. These
characters need you, and with time your characters will evolve. You will be given unique roles that the tattooed characters cannot assume

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2006, 01:00:42 PM »
I wonder... why does't anybody post?
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2006, 02:13:53 AM »
I have had a stressful week and a drunken weekend. I wrestled with a fit Lithuanian and lost yesterday... What can I say.

Waaaaah!

That is all I can say.

;)

Will be posting soon!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2006, 01:35:17 AM »
Waaaah!
 :(
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2006, 01:50:16 AM »
Noted. FYI I love this game and I am not tired yet. Besides you are close to the end of chapter 1, so keep the faith.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »
I have been gone to the fjords these last 3 days. I kinda hoped for some forum game activity while I was gone, but alas, no.

Some of you wanted to know who knelt in the mater domino scene:
Everyone except Roack (no tattoos) and Sharee (not present).

Dietrich is now removed from the game and Hunthar is an NPC.

New Geas:

"Ah'twhan" is the Word of power. The sign of the Mater Domino.
Though of Divine blood and bonds you be, the Mater Domino sees all, knows all, rules all.
The tattoed God-Things are scions of the Mater Domino, The Keldon Witch.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »
CaptainPenguin] 10:21 pm: One thing
[CaptainPenguin] 10:21 pm: I must have missed who Mater Domino is?
[CaptainPenguin] 10:21 pm: Or maybe I've forgotten
[The Citadel]: manfred has entered at 10:21 pm
[CaptainPenguin] 10:21 pm: In any case, I can't recall Mater Domino's significance
[CaptainPenguin] 10:21 pm: Oh, hey, Manfred!
[manfred] 10:21 pm: Hallo, and hallo.
[Ancient Gamer] 10:21 pm: It is the Keldon Witch, the one who made you, the witch that Dietrich carried.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
I love what's been going on, and I apologize for my sparse posting, I'm just having a hard time following everything, especially with trips across state and working a ton of hours. I would love to post right now, but I honestly don't have a clue what to do but stand around the plaza and look dazed. Maybe I missed something that should have clued me into a 'next step', but regardless, I don't know what to do.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
Well... There are a dozen of spectres here... There are friends...
Conversation, exploration, divination, rituals, meditatitive trances, entering buildings, reading the stars, studying the corpses, robbing the dead... Choose your favourite pasttime.

Isn't Flare curious about what is going on?

I think I would have been.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:26:20 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2006, 05:03:38 PM »
Yeah he is, but as the one person he'd have thought could answer some questions just left, there isn't much he can do on that front right now.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2006, 02:01:25 AM »
Do you all feel like this?

If you guys feel at a loss for what you could do, I could come up with examples of what, why and how you can do.

As a matter of fact I think I will. I will describe the following scenarios:

1. How Flare contacts his ancestors for guidance when trouble brews on the horizon.
2. How Sharee flirts with a guard to extract information
3. How Roack communicates with the Spectres to learn what they know
4. How Hans threatens a thug to discover the location of the headquarters of Aman-Kang, otherwise known as Hides-in-Secret.
5. How Solstara visit the Oracle of Ontheran in her dreams.
6. How Domunsoka uses his "Soul of the Harbinger Bird" tattoo ability to scout the terrain.

Stay tuned.
Hint: Check out your skill list to see what you can do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:02:27 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »
Samples of play:

TABLE TOP SAMPLES:
****************************************************************************************

1. How Flare contacts his ancestors for guidance when trouble brews on the horizon.
Intro: The GM sat there, behind his screen and smiling as always. Alec hated it when that bastard wouldn't part with any more information. At a loss for what to do, Alec decided that Flare would use his ritual magic to contact his ancestors.

Alec: "With resolute determination Flare looks around, deciding the unnatural Garden will prove the best location for his ritual. Their situation had proven dire and Flare was at a loss for what to do, so he drew circles in the sand with his spear as he softly began chanting. The words came with some difficulty, it had been so long since he last tried the ritual, but after some time the mantra was chanted with a steady rythm."

Alec: "I am performing the Lucid Dreaming ritual, GM. I will try to bend the magics to my will and contact my ancestors in a waking dream"

GM: [Responds with what happens, already having rolled the dice behind his screen (or computer in our case).]

****************************************************************************************

2. How Sharee flirts with a guard to extract information

Intro: The group is trying to gain access to the royal castle, but so far all their efforts have been in vain. Finally EchoMirage comes up with the idea to use Sharee's female attributes to their advantage.

EchoMirage: "Sharee makes her way up the street, taking off her cloak and hood whilst doing so. She casually lets her dress slide off one shoulder, moving distractedly towards a large guard that she has noticed watches her. As she close in on him she seems to lose balance, falling boobs first into the large guard, squeezing her attributes against the stomach of the man"

EchoMirage: "Sharee withdraws slowly, blushing and batters her eyelids. "Sorry, sir, it was not my intention to bump into you like this". She smiles sensually as the guard study her figure with poorly concealed interest"

GM: [Responds with what happens, already having rolled the dice behind his screen (or computer in our case).]

PLAY BY FORUM SAMPLES:

3. How Roack communicates with the Spectres to learn what they know

Roack:
Roack shakes his head trying to wake from this surreal situation. It is all in vain for he is still at the plaza and after walking among the spectres he looks upon one, a lone child sitting upon his ghostly mother's shoulders, trying to get a glimpse of the tattooed mercenaries.

"Hello child" he quietly says.
"Do you know where we are? What are you guys doing here?"

GM:
The child looks upon Roack, its eyes seeming to pierce through him as if he was made of air.

"Hello, friend of the chosen" the child replies, its voice distant but audible.
[Then it responds to Roacks different questions, based upon a roll made by the GM]

4. How Hans threatens a thug to discover the location of the headquarters of Aman-Kang, otherwise known as Hides-in-Secret.

Hans grapples the filthy thug into the gutter and then puts the blooded edge of his blade against the throat of the weasly man. His gaze is of steel and his teeth are gritted as he nearly scream to the man: "Tell me where I can find Aman-Kang, worm! Tell me now, or I swear you will suffer the fate of your friend!"

The thug sweats heavily and gulps audibly in response to Hans' threat. With a shaking voice he begins to reply: "Aman-Kang cannot... cannot be found unless he wants to be found!" as the thug replied, the stark stench of urin spread through the alley. The man had wet his pants.

"Then I have no further use of you" Hans snarled, ruthlessly slitting his throat.

"Sharee, can you summon his ghost and force answers from it? Perhaps he will serve us better in death, than in life?"

5. How Solstara visit the Oracle of Ontheran in her dreams.

Maggot:
Through dreams borne on the wings of a butterfly, Solstara soared above a city of pure gold. "This is Ank-Horath" she whispered, yet her whisper was akin to the boom of thunder.

GM:
From the distant horizon came a reply from the shadow of her dream: "Descend child. Descend to the autumn of Ontheran and be granted the audience you request. For only here can your answers be found, though I daresay they will not be to your liking".

Maggot:
Like the oaken leaf, she descended, her arms outstretched and wind in her hair. [etc...]

6. How Domunsoka uses his "Soul of the Harbinger Bird" tattoo ability to scout the terrain.

Its tongue lolling unnaturally from its ghastly mouth, the ghost doll rolls back it's head and rubs the tattoo that has been nailed to the trunk of it's body.

Come bird of prey, bird of fate, bird of omen. Come grant me your vision and let me guide you through the haze of darkness. Come to me, your master, and together we shall soar across the horizon
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
Also remember that you have each other! The other characters are not just along to protect your flank or open that lock... They also might have information that you do not.

Use your skills, your magics, your steel and your wits. Communicate, manipulate and use your knowledge.

Play, post. Only you guys can make this game gain momentum. Only you guys can make the game fun. I but provide the stage, but without your aid I am worthless.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2006, 12:18:45 AM »
Well... I understand that you're attempting to help us find something to do, but honestly... I'm still lost.
I mean, you gave me tips on how to hammer in a nail, but you only gave me the hammer. Did I just miss or forget what the purpose was of ending up in this city?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2006, 04:11:20 AM »
Okay, I see your point. I have provided you with hints, tips and inside information enough, but I forget that table top and forum gaming are vastly different. With time you forget what I wrote in the last post, and you cannot always go back and read what once stood there.

I understand. I must remind you more. I must be more clear.

I will provide the information you need.

...And yes: It seems like you guys have forgotten much during the last year. I will jolt your memory.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:34:30 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »
Sorry.. I don't mean to sound strident or anything.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2006, 02:17:41 AM »
Hey, you are entitled to state your opinion and voice your concerns. The fact that you all post very slowly either means you guys either have too much on your hands, don't like the game or do not understand what is going on.

Additionally I have gotten word from EchoMirage, Alec AND you now that all state that you A) Are confused and B) Dunno what you are going to do. That is MY responsibility.

I now understand that table top gaming and play by forum are nothing alike. It doesn't help that one person has said it all makes sense, when that person is a reader of, and not participating in the game.

This weekend is filled with parties and trips to mountain lodges. I will come back stronger later in the weekend, and hopefully I can answer your questions with some direct information. No more clues and hidden meanings.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:28:18 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2006, 01:47:24 AM »
Have fun, AG...
But I just want to say, I don't want this game to become a source of stress for you... After all, it is a *game*, meant for fun. :D

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »
I am working extra hours this week.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2006, 08:51:55 AM »
This week too!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
I have passed my exam, so I am free to play.  :lol:

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2006, 01:44:29 AM »
YAY! Congrats Soon-to-be-Doc EchoMirage!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2006, 02:57:01 AM »
Yes, Echo, congratulations!

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:13 PM »
You deserve many, many cookies! Welcome back to the game, too!