llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Coldforged] Shadows of War  (Read 40390 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
[Coldforged] Shadows of War
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »
Aye, I agree

Some are just plain unlucky with their given names and/or surnames. :twisted:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2005, 09:30:12 AM »
Wow, ain't no love for Solstara, is there? :D

Anyway, how are we to move on now? I sense that we may become bogged down in conversation if we let this continue.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2005, 09:46:28 AM »
If you let this continue, Hans will eat your livers for dinner. It is all up to Hans really. He tried once, with a kind voice, and now he has tried to talk to you the hard way.

Anyone wishing to test him even more should be aware that they might suffer rather nasty consequences.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2005, 12:29:44 PM »
Well, for the sake of democracy, please lemme know if you dislike Hans being used in such a manner.

I fully agree with CaptainPenguin that the story needs to be pushed further, but for that to happen you NEED to agree on what to do.

Any concerns and such should be voiced... Now ;).
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2005, 03:25:03 PM »
Nah, Hans seems to fit the role used perfectly. He IS, after all, a commander used to whipping rowdy mercenaries into line.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29:56 PM »
I always get the logic part :)
It is the emotions and ego of the players I am thinking about. ;)

Screw logic (or better yet, find an alternate route) if people ain't having fun.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2005, 05:06:51 PM »
I know it is my turn to wrap up the part where you journey from A to B. Alot of work interfering, but I will try to post as soon as humanly possible.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Direction decided
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2005, 06:41:52 PM »
Okay the vote has been finished:

Hans: "Well, I am also in favour of moving towards the Captain and our employer"

Solstra: 'It will be as my Lord Hans wills. Your wish is my command'

Domunsoka: "Domunsoka's fleshy new throat twitched disturbingly, and a long black tongue dropped out of it's maw like a stream of blood.
Taking a tentative step, it hissed and snarled, gesturing with it's wooden arm in a direction as if suggesting that they travel that way."

Sharee: "Well, gentlemen - we might actually want to catch up with our dear employer"

Flare: "I agree, Sharee. Marcus isn't going to get the satisfaction of finding whatever he's after. I'd love to help prevent him from getting it."

Hunthar: "In the sake of fairness and democracy, as well as not getting my face torn off by our lovely hybrid here, I cast my vote in Domunsoka's direction. I guess that leaves the vote to...whom?"

The result is: Up the mountain. Hans vote decide ties, but in this case there were 4 for up the mountain and 2 for Domunsoka's proposal.

Up the mountain wins.

One delicate issue has arisen: You will meet Roack soon. But I have NO DESIRE to play out that scene in its entirity. It would be really boring. So I cut to the chase and sum up some of what he has said, and the shock as he meets you and all that will be briefly explained. If anyone consider me a heinous bastard for doing so, they can create a scene journal for the purpose of that conversation.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Dirty Laundry Time!
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2005, 10:50:02 AM »
Houston we have several problems!

Okay, I have not posted in a couple of days, and the reason is that I have had to cope with alot of private messages concerning several different things. I want a solution to these issues, though, so I am going to state a few things.

1. I am the GM. It is as simple as that. Your advice and concern is appreciated and I have the utmost respect for your abilities, but please do not dictate how I should do my thing, even if you normally do things entirely different.

2. Be civil. OOC Sarcasm and derogatory comments will get you nowhere. I am a tolerant person, but constant complaining and bad behaviour is not going to make me see things from your perspective. I am trying to create a cool and fun game for all here and I will NOT tolerate being mocked and harassed.

3. Try to search for positive solutions. Everyone can be difficult, it is really easy, and I am sure I could have invented a thousand reasons for killing y'all a thousand times. It would, however, NOT be any fun, nor create a positive atmosphere.

4. Talk together. Let this game be a fun experience and try to help each other out with nice gameplay.

5. Whenever I play Hans, Craeth or any other NPC, I am telling the story from their perspective. If Hans is thinking he is "superior" to any of you, it is because he THINKS himself to be so, and NOT because he actually is. Hans can be an overinflated airbag at times. Additionally: if Hans favours anyone, it is NOT because the GM favour anyone, but because HANS does. This is roleplaying guys... We act/play different roles.

-------------------------------------

Concerning the GEASES:
I have been talking to a player about a solution to an intraparty disagreement. Two characters do not get along and the mood is getting murderous. I had a solution, but that solution was not to everyones taste. I have several solutions, but the fundamentals of the first solution WILL NOT change, however much you may hate it.

The fundament of the first solution is the Geases.

Now, as you all now, there are geases and curses in the Tattoos. Let us explore the nature of a Geas:

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
A geas (also geis), has two interpretations in Irish mythology and folklore. First, it is considered some kind of bond that people or even gods can be placed under; later, it took the aspect of a taboo or prohibition. A geas can also be compared with a curse. If someone placed under a geas breaks it, the infractor will suffer dishonour or even death.

In Coldforged a Geas is a magical obligation which the Geased individual has to fulfill. Failure to do so results in pain, dishonour, death and disfigurement, depending on the severity and nature of the Geas broken. (Other effects might also exist, but for the sake of gameplay, I will not reveal those)

A curse is also negatively aspected and, in the case of the tattoos, is a side effect and a balancing piece of magic to counteract the vast positive effects of the Tattoos. (re: the Newtonic Magic principle). The older a tattoo becomes, the more it is changed and balanced by the flow of essence. This is why your primary, new, tattoo has no cursed effects.

Now I must, unfortunately, reveal one aspect of the tattoos which you do not yet know. Please do not act upon this piece of meta knowledge.

As one possible solution to the intraparty problem I simply said: Go ahead and do it. This is because the first commandment / geas ("Thou shalt be as one") has connected your spirits and hinders you all from actually harming each other or even splitting up. This I consider a logical piece of magic, since the ones that placed your tattoos upon you are unlikely to let their hard placed magic tools just go on and kill each other or not do your appointed task... Is it really that hard to understand? Do you think they simply tattooed you for the fun of it? Nay, the reality is that you are enslaved now, bound to someone elses will.

You can cope with this in either way you want: You can whine and complaint or quit the game or make my life hell, or you can say: Fine, I am a roleplayer and, dammit, I am going to find a solution to this. That is what Coldforged is all about: Fledgling heroes put in a difficult situation, and the tale about their rise to the task and how they eventually ascend above and beyond the call of duty, to true hero-dom.

The loss of freedom and forcing someone to do somthing is a theme in many heroic sagas and fantasy litterature. Now your characters have been enslaved, in a way, and you MAY break free from that, but that is for another day and clever investigation and turning the tables upon those who marred you thus. It will NEVER be up to a dice roll to see if you "resist the magic". That is an awful piece of DnD heritage which I loathe.

Now you know the nature of the game. You have been wronged and are forced to do someone elses bidding. This is your tale and I sincerely hope you see the possibilities in that. I sure do!

What are your thoughts on this subject?
Anybody want to leave the game as a result of this?

~AG
(Who likes all of his players, but has to set some ground rules. I hope ALL of you guys remain, even though I had to put on my nazi-GM trenchcoat. )
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2005, 02:46:23 PM »
*laughs slightly and smirks* Well, considering we're all (relatively) good RPers here, I think we not only can handle such restrictions, but we should try to, if for no other reason than to increase our skills at roleplaying. So often when RPing you have no real restrictions on certain things; this is a learning experience for dealing with restrictions.

Secondly, we DID all agree when we chose to continue that we'd accept the tattoos and the problems that come with them. This includes not just the powers given, but those restrictions too. My thought is: deal with it. If nothing else, later on we can figure out some way to make the effects null, or something else of that nature. But truly I think that if we are good RPers and really try, we can adapt to the restrictions to the point of merging with those restrictions. They're just another "disadvantage" as we might consider it, much as Domunsoka was unable to speak, how some players might have phobias, ect. They're challenges to be overcome, not to be annoyed at.

Anyway, end of my ramble. =P Now, to my questions.

If/when we try to "Not be as one" and attack each other, will say, Hunthar's sword be magically stopped from splitting Hans' head? Will he just be unable to draw the sword to attack with that intent, e.g. his body won't respond until he gives up the purpose? Will he be magically barred from touching Hans with the weapon by a forcefield of sorts, or will Hans be unaffected by the attack that connects? *tilts his head* Specifics as to how such things would be RPed.

Yet another thought as to that: perhaps if one harms another with the tattoos, the pain/damage they caused is returned to them threefold? That'd be an obvious and effective deterent to harming each other.

And finally, on a completely different note, I'd like to see how the two females would have such a fight. I'm looking forward to it, since it's bound to happen without the characters being informed of the geas. ^^ Cruel, ain't I?

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2005, 03:32:25 PM »
The first question I cannot answer. That would ruin too much, but you will have to wait and see.

And, indeed, when the females fight, you will learn the answer to the first question. I got an interesting idea from Manfred, actually... (Thank you manfred :twisted:)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Last word on nazi-GM rant
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2005, 07:20:53 PM »
Clarification:
I am not targetting anyone in particular here. I experienced some rough times on the chat today, with a person I consider a friend and a splendid person. Still we had a rough conversation today and it did not end well as I had to leave when we were in mid-battle.

That event did drain me of my energy and I made the previous post to set some ground rules. It was not my intention to scare or offend anyone, just to state that you must abide by my rule as a GM and to explain the nature of the geases, because those were the focus of our ferocious debate.

~AG
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Scene Journals and Interludes revisited
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2005, 11:21:40 AM »
Last time I gonna say this, from now on just know that you can, at any time:

If any of you wanted to describe what you spoke to, for instance, Roack about, create a scene journal.

If any of you wanted to enter that cave, request an Interlude.

I will not stop the gameplay for such locations which can be voluntarily be entered. If YOU want to explore such areas, Interludes will be created for those purposes.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Mutilation notes
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2005, 03:23:31 PM »
Well, I sure post if none else do. This time it is about your mutilated mercs:

With clothes on, only the hands of Sharee, the face of Solstra and ... Well... Domunsoka, obviously, should be immediately noticeable as "changed". With time only Solstra and Domunsoka will draw attention.

Let the game commence!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2005, 01:25:25 PM »
Considering Sharee is an elf, she'll probably continue to draw attention, tatoo or not.

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2005, 04:34:32 PM »
For the love of the light! I check before school, see two new posts, and plan on posting when I get home, no big deal. I get on now afterwards, and there're so many new posts it takes me ten minutes to read all of them!

Good light people! *rushes off to post*

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2005, 05:05:34 PM »
Well, I reckoned that there was only so much you could do while you were out of the camp, so I used yesterday and today to advance the story into the centre of camp.

Wanna get this party going y'know :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2005, 07:27:05 PM »
Hey, I'm back, just so you know.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Note concerning Roack:
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2005, 03:26:20 AM »
As I said: Irath's podgy fingers  (ie the rings are probably stuck on them) are locked in rigor mortis (Muscle rigidity after death).

That means Roack probably has to struggle for some time, before he finally realizes that the only way for the rings to come off is by dismembering the hands and fingers piece by piece.

Dirty work in store for Roack.

Might I suggest that Roack change his description to mirror this reality?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2005, 11:23:40 AM »
No prob, he's got a rapier for a reason

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
GM preoccupied
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2005, 10:52:06 AM »
A little busy at the moment. I am working part time and I have a dozen social engagements coming up, including beer with me mates, a wedding, and so on.

I will try to post today, or, failing that, before saturday.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35649#35649
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2005, 06:32:29 PM »
Okay in the post the following happened:
1. Sharee cast her spell and got in contact with the spirit of the dead cook. She is now in a trance and does not hear what the others say or do. Her magic and focus is most likely upon the spirit.

2. Time passed, while Sharee cast her spell and everyone did what they have described.

3. Now Hunthar has just heard mysterious sounds and Sharee has just entered conversation with the spirit. The rest of you loiter about... for the moment.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »
Note to gamers: I /have/ read the post, and I /do/ plan on posting. However, 'tis late right now and tomorrow I must be pulled away for some other things, namely marching band and Friday dinner. That said, I will post when possible; I haven't disappeared. You ain't getting rid of me that easily.

By the power of Bayes!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2005, 02:34:16 AM »
We all seem a little busy of the moment. :)