llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Coldforged] Shadows of War  (Read 43782 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
[Coldforged] Shadows of War
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 05:20:55 AM »
Some comments on the game:
1. I got a pm about the perspective of the telling. Most of the telling is in third person, while some players post in first person. Should we all stick to third person, or should GM do third person while the players do first person?

2. While your skill levels surely have been up to the task in this battle, automatically killing off everyone you meet with just the wave of a hand won't be an option later in the game. From now on I will give a clear indication of the odds of your success, of course presented in game and not-numeric.

3. I got a pm where a player desired to post his background story, just like Captain did. This is okay with me and when your players have done so, it means you have been open about your background, telling it to the others.

4. I will use parts of Shadoweagle's strict ruleset version (r2).

5. The weaponry of the savages seem to vary from player to player. This is ok, it is entirely possible that they keep other arms than the two handed spears I mentioned.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »
:idea: as for automatically killing off - given the lack of name and description  of the individual savages, as well as their appearance right at the start of the adventure, it is but natural that the players percieved them as but cannon fodder to set the mood... gory and brutal.

Given the setting, the strength of nameless antagonists is going to be their numbers, not the strength of each individual.

At least the intent of the GM was percieved thus.

I doubt that anyone of the players in the game would go on a power trip and describe how he effortlessly butchers the main antagonist of the campaign with but a nail file and a bundle of old magazines  8)
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 10:19:50 AM »
Ah, but that is the catch... even the smallest mice can be lethal in my games :) And a player character with no melee skill should not be Conan in any case ;)

This was not a reprimand, but a rule for the future ;) We need to adapt to each other, right? Learn the ropes so to speak. You are doing fine girls and boys. :D
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »
Hey guys: My house is full of screaming, howling, yelling, crying, biting fiends, ehhhr... kids right now. I'm working on the next post but my head is hurtin' :D

I'll get postin' soon though.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2005, 03:28:50 AM »
FYI:
 I will keep the game flowing smoothly. If any of you guys do not post when appropriate, I will take control of your characters and describe their actions, before I temporarily deduct from their divine favour.

If you cannot post for a period longer than 2-3 days, please let me know by pm or in this thread.

Now a MoonHunter thingie:
Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game. Strive to be a good poster. It is more fun with a fast paced game.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 09:28:29 AM »
If you are experiencing any problems, please do not hesitate to ask per pm or here in the OOC thread!

If you were wondering, the barbarians are no match for Dietrich, Domunsoka and Hans, although when faced with 2 to 1 odds, even these warriors would have some difficulties. Domusoka's special attributes makes it near invulnerable and thus extremely difficult for the barbarians to defeat. Sharee and Flare would be at a disadvantage against these foes, meleewise that is.

Flare has ample opportunity to throw his alchemical brews, Sharee is controlling the zombie, while Domunsoka and Dietrich are free to do whatever they wanna do.

And I repeat: do NOT hesitate to ask, if you ever have doubt, feel neglected, feel ill at easy with the storyline, or whatever...

Uncle AG needs YOU!

10:50:52 [Ancient_Gamer] Heh, I can understand him. I have been experiencing irregular players for 16 years now and I must admit they are getting on my nerves

10:51:17 [Maggot] Ahh,a sentiment unique to GMs.

10:51:26 [Ancient_Gamer] The problem is that if someone first slips in his posting, the entire machinery might halt

10:52:38 [Maggot] Hence his anoyance. I guess I was expecting him to go first.

10:52:53 [Maggot] That tends to be my style.

10:53:27 [Maggot] I like to study what the other players do,and then post my own actions.

10:53:58 [Maggot] Of course,now that I understand Moon better,I can see why it would infuriate him.

10:53:59 [Ancient_Gamer] Yes, that is what my Coldforged players here at the citadel says too

10:54:36 [Ancient_Gamer] Consider this: Everyone wants to post latest, to see what the other want... what is the result? Deadlock... Yes, deadlock

10:54:51 [Ancient_Gamer] And deadlock kills the game

10:55:42 [Maggot] When you paint it that way,I sppose it is very frustarating..

10:56:11 [Maggot] So one has to be bold and make the first leap.

10:56:32 [Maggot] I'll make mental note of that.

10:56:36 [Maggot] a*

10:57:01 [Ancient_Gamer] I might want to post this rant in my Coldforged OOC thread
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2005, 03:19:56 PM »
Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Sorry!

I went on a camping trip with some friends, and I forgot to notify you!
Sorry! Sorry!

I'll post right away!

Sorry!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »
Forgiven!

Ok, I have gotten feedback like this:
"The game is great, but began extremely abruptly"
"If there is anything I would like, it would be more background information. Why are we here? What is our mission?"

Okay:
The recruitment post, the very first in the OOC thread, details what is happening. At this stage you are nothing but grunts in the hire of Captain Craeth Calwydden. You know what to protect, where to go and what you get paid. End of story. You are still pawns, and only good roleplaying or changes in your situationn can change that. Getting information might be part of your later goals, although I am going to let you run free on this one. If your character wishes to do so, they might even abandon their friends, although reasons for leaving all they have known the last months or even years would have to be pretty convincing (Besides, you'll be out of the game if you do so =p)

I like freedom of choice, freedom of movement. I hate stories on a rail, although some structure has to be retained, and I hate wasted time. I promise fast paced action and intelligent adversaries, clever dialogue (okay, it depends on the NPC) and conniving enemies. I promise you painful replies to stupid decisions (enemies might be stupid too) and combat in which you do not have time to draw your breath before the next bludgeoning stroke arrives.

You won't get anything cheaply from me. You have to &^%$@ and fight and swear and pay and threat and sweet talk your way through this one.

Knowing you guys, I am sure you are up to the task.

I might be convinced to post general Empire information upon demand. None of you are local, so local information must be gained in game. No one among you have Cartography or History or similar skills either. Common knowledge is what you'll get.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 08:55:49 PM »
Everyone please note that all attempts to find meaning in Domunsoka's writing ("sword") would be pointless- it means nothing.
So don't think that I'm saying anything useful, okay?

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 09:11:41 PM »
I think it means that we should stay and fight instead of running away from the savages. :wink:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 03:09:24 AM »
So what exactly is the purpose of you/Dumonsoka writing that? Confusion? O.o
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »
Concerning survival:
Sharee lists three choices for survival. I would like to add that it is possible to flee as Dietrich suggested,  to hope that the freak storm will hide your tracks.

Backtracking is not an option, and this should be clear to all, as the chants of the barbarians in pursuit now can be heard through the crackling sounds of the forest fire.

There might be other, unmentioned options, that neither Sharee nor Dietrich has mentioned. Discovering those is up to you.

Concerning the storm:
The storm is approaching quickly, descending from the mountains. The storm clouds are dark indeed, and there seems to be some sort of black birds circling the edges. The sun is now hidden behind the clouds and you expect that the path to Ûr-Keldon is now fiercely whipped by the storm.

Concerning the barbarians:
One large group of Urshenk barbarians are following you, the advanced scouting parties just some minutes behind you, while the main force is perhaps two hours or so behind.

Another group is scaling the sheer cliff wall,  and they will have marshalled atop the cliff in about 30-45 minutes. This group is sufficiently large to be a threat to the mercenaries. Provided the storm does not pose too much trouble.

Concerning your fatigue:
You are tired. You have run for hours and fought a long, desperate battle. Some of you are still dazed by Flare's explosives and the smoke from the fire. Sharee is tired both mentally and physically.

Sharee and Sternflucht, as well as Domunsoka, has been hurt by enemies, though that does not bother Domunsoka much.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 07:21:19 PM »
There is no purpose to the writing. The doll just writes when it feels that it should, but "when it should" is a hard thing to define, since it cannot really communicate meaningfully. Just look at it as an odd, random action and you'll probably be okay.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 07:22:23 PM »
Continuity issues:
I got a pm about the timeline in the game.

In my post I covered a small amount of time. From the conversation on the battlefield and up to the point where people where running away from the fire.

So let us handle it this way: Sharee has used some time to ponder her answer and after having escaped the worst fire, you take a quick break to discuss the possibilities.

In the future you can respond to such posts by describing your actions both past and present. Just make sure the end of your post matches the timeline :)

I will beware of speeding the timeline overly much ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 09:24:52 AM »
The end draws nigh!

Summer vacation is upon us and some of the players are leaving for places in which they cannot get online.

I will try to conclude your lives, ehhrrr... the prologue soon. The cast of Chapter 1 might be different, depending on the players available and eventual character deaths.

Estimated time of prologue termination is either the first or second week of July. Chapter 1 will be launched in July. Possibly with some weeks, up to a month, in between it and the prologue... Thus early August is the latest ETA for Chapter 1.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 04:35:07 AM »
Another WTF moment coming up:

Why does Michael write about the barbarians retreating when in your last post, AG, they were clearly approaching us?

Huh? :what:

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 07:13:28 AM »
Well, as each player, and the GM, posts, time passes in the game. Mike's post was valid, based on a pm I sent him. This pm was based on his skills, his heritage, his character.

You all got private messages. Some were trivial, some were not. It was chrome, flavour, as well as a method to give you all character specific information. I love to give my players personal information based on their skills and background. This comes as quests, information (like in this case) and so on. I have used this approach with great success for the last ten years. It is a part of something called the character weave. I weave each character into the storyline, give you all information based on your skills. Each of you will also encounter personal quests, personal struggles, personal intrigues. In this case, Mike's warrior got info you others did not. This he was kind enough to tell you.

The barbarians are indeed retreating as they were indeed approaching a minute ago. They have clearly just begun their retreat. Why this is so, is a matter better left for you guys to guess or perhaps you already know the answer? I think you do...

Thank you for asking the question. I know the prologue is a bit confusing. It is meant to be so. Your characters are hurled into a mess you don't know how to handle, and you don't know wtf is going on. This is the prologue. This mess is the hell your characters have been plunged into.

An answer will be forthcoming. In game.

Play on.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 08:35:28 AM »
At least I don't have to knock myself out with fatigue ... yet :lol:

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 07:41:41 PM »
I wanted to notify you early that in the times ahead I will do a lot of travelling and moving. I WILL keep posting, but not as frequently as before. But I think I will manage to keep within the three day limit thingy.
If not, I will also accept my penalty :wink:

But don't worry, there is a chanse you won't even notice it.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2005, 09:45:37 PM »
Okay:
You guys are within the forest. You are 20-30 minutes fast march from where the mercenary main force abandoned Marcus and Turedon during their summoning.

Thus we have three groups: The player rear guards, Marcus and Turedon and the mercenary main force.

I used a cliche for effect somewhere within the tale, enjoy :p, and I want to underline that the summoned beast of Marcus's is indeed DEAD and not the horror he is thinking about.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2005, 03:22:12 PM »
FYI: I'll also answer in game questions you guys want answered, by pm, in the chat or in the OOC thread. Only questions that you may know the answer to will be answered.

FYI pt. 2: I have used the prologue to learn your preferences and adapt somewhat  to your wishes. That is why I have asked so many questions of you, but that will stop when we enter Chapter 1; Ûr-Keldon. If there is anything you want me to know about or change: Now is the time to say so.

FYI pt. 3: I am having fun and enjoy having you guys as players, Good work guys!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2005, 03:56:09 AM »
Concerning the GM roleplaying of NPCs:
Some NPCs might seem... extreme... Such as the pleasure slave you are talking to right now. It is not some low class horndog acting going on, but a purpose and a logic behind the way I play her. You will probably meet even more extreme persons, as well as normal people. This is an age of slavery, prostitution, zealots, decadent and haughty nobility and possessed beings, as well as more present day insanity such as madmen, junkies, murderers and rapists. There IS a majority of normal people though (kind of normal), so you won't be trapped in a nuthouse... Well, not ALL the time :)

Players: Please post in sequence, but I, as GM, will reply to all questions as soon as a player has posted it (even out of my sequence). This is to keep the game smooth and flowing.

Domunsoka/CaptainPenguin: I realize it is difficult for you to partake in dialogues. Please do follow the dialogue anyhow, Domunsoka DOES understand what is being said, you know :)

Come chapter 1 a remedy for your predicament will be in place. It will not ruin the character development scheme you presented.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2005, 11:56:04 AM »
Gotcha', Big A.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 12:56:53 AM »
AG going on a biking vacation today:
I am going to be bicycling for one or two weeks, travelling the small county roads of the counties known as Vestfold and Telemark.

I will have access to computers but I cannot enforce the 3 day limit on you guys during this period. Now I love a good whippin' of my players, but I am afraid you guys will get away with your wicked ways for a while.

Please be responsible and keep the game running anyhow... Cap... Alec... Mike and Echo...

One other thing:
In the post where Solstara is explaining what you guys are doing in the mountains... You can assume she told you all the things she was thinking about as she ran through the forest. Not the details of her miserable life, but at least you know that it has not been easy for her. More importantly, she has told you all about Marcus.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 05:22:20 AM »
As for Dumonsoka - try the way of Ranma's father - signs with a handle :D

As for me - I have arrived in Germany healthy and whole,  though the i-net connection is dial-up. Oh the terror!