llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Down Damd Road and Into A Hill.  (Read 4394 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Down Damd Road and Into A Hill.
« on: February 20, 2003, 01:34:42 PM »
The Orange Fury was not a very active person. In fact, she was probably the laziest adventurer of them all. She lived from loot to loot, trying to stretch her money as well as she could, so she could live lazily and simply, resting and idling away the time.

She had stretched her last bit of loot as far as it would go. It had been a two years off, she had  been living inside a tree hollow in and old growth forest, a mile downriver from a decent little town. She did little work, besides basic upkeep, hunted for some food, but spent frequent nights about town, becoming a favorite story teller, as well as performing little magic tricks for the children. But she never did anything she didn’t want to. And life was good.

But when money ran out, she knew she had to hit the trails. The Orange Fury donned her old patches and armor, and took up her tools. She bid goodbye to the town, and headed southwest, to the larger trade towns, where she was sure to find a party.

-

Any adventurer has their contacts, and the Orange Fury was not without old friends. Or family, for that matter. On the way, she had been able to contact her half-brother. And that’s exactly why she was sitting at the small corner table of the tavern, feet up, a mug of chilled spice water at claw.

A shadowed figure sat down with a huff, and threw back the large straw hat on his bald head. “d**nit, the sun is brutal out today. Dunno how you can wear full kit in this mess, Ander.�

The Orange Fury, with her large eyes, short cropped black hair, and orange headband, smiled at her half brother. “I thought you liked summer, Flypipe.�

Flypipe grinned feicely back at his half sister. Flypipe was quite odd looking, built on small bones, with large, almost sallow looking eyes, dark skin, and long hands. He was proportioned how a tall elf would be, but he was short, and looked none too sturdy. But underneath the delicate looks, was a hard body. His bones were super dense, and his blood boiled even now with a suppressed berserker rage. Flypipe was a full blooded Effin, also known as a Red Elf, capable of great destructive rages, and magic enhanced fighting skill. He still had yet to reach his prime, and his chin was fuzzy with uncut stubble.

“I like summer when it melts the snow, not when it boils the blood. I’m running hot already.� Flypipe laughed.

Ander was built on the same small lines has her half brother, but she was a half blood Red Elf, making her somewhat taller, and her bones were far less dense. She also was quite level headed, incapable of the same berserker rages the Effin were famed for.  Also, she was sterile, unable to bear children (which never bothered her, seeing as she thought most kids were the scourge of the earth.) Like her step-brother, she looked young, due to the longitivity of the Elves.

“Are you in the rut already?� She asked delicately.

Flypipe nearly coughed up his half swallowed spice water. “Ander!� He sputtered, blushing under his dark skin.

“Crikey, Piper. What has you as sensitive as a High Elf today?� Ander shot back.

“What has you brash as an orge? I think you’ve been away from the settlement too long. Lady Primm would take a switch to you if she heard you speak like that.�

“I’m fifty, Pipe. I’m fully able to take care of myself by now. I don’t need Miss Primm switching me for not having crisp linens.�

That was the oddity of the Effin. They were warriors at heart, but their society was quite refined, having descended from the full High Elves. At the Settlement (Quite an understatement, the city was ornate as a palace), Lady Primm was the hired manners teacher, taking on young Effin and training them in courtly manners, between fighting lessons and anger management.

“Enough.� Flypipe said, swalowing down the last of his spice water. “What has you dragging me all the way from North reach?�

“I’m looking for a job. You usually have input on that.�

“Huh. Last interesting thing I head about was back the road in Enderdale, about some rich trader types paying for a group to head down the Damb Road to clear out bandits.�

“Swag included?�

“Yep. Keep whatever you loot.... You cant be serious about going down there.�

“Why not? Just need to get a party together, and blast our way down their. A few camps of bandits cant be too bad.�

Flypipe hit his head on the wooden table with a loud ‘THUNK’. “Ander...�

“The Orange Fury is back in business.� Ander said, getting up from the table, draining the last of her spice water. “Come on, Pipe. We’re going to Enderdale for a bit. Keep an eye out for any adventuring types on the road, we gotta get a party started.�

Flypipe groaned, dragging himself out of the chair. “Did I say I wanted any part in this? Noo, we never listen to little old Flypipe...�

--Join in at wil. Comments apreciated!l--
You can alway trust the bunny rabbit with a rocket launcher.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 02:23:15 PM »
Aliana de Cienn rested under a shade tree.  It was bloody hot out there.  She gulped water.  It was times like this that she wished she'd stayed with the Ladies like a sensible woman.  But then, she thought, I'd never figure things out.  Well, might as well get going again.  She strapped her sword back across her back.  She lingered in the shade, almost unwilling to go back out into the sun.  As she finally stepped back out into the road, she noticed a pair coming down the road.  She shaded her good eye, trying to get a better look.  A man and a woman.  The man looked very unhappy to be out in the heat, and Aliana couldn't blame him.  As they drew closer, she realized there was something odd about the way they were built.  There was a nagging feeling that that should mean something to her, but she didn't really pay attention.  She'd been getting that feeling a lot lately, and there wasn't anything she could do about it.  Aliana decided to wait for the pair to get closer to the tree.  It might be nice to have company, and there was always the off chance that they would have some useful information.  And they seemed to be heading in the same direction she was anyway.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 04:31:13 PM »
Yoshimuro shut out the boring stares of the people on the street. He knew he was not welcome. He knew it to his soul. A city guardsman stepped in front of him.
"Orks are not welcome here! Leave, beast, before I summon reinforcements!" shouted the guardsman, sword in hand.
"I do not follow the ways of my people, the Orks. Can I be blamed for what my forefathers have done?" Yoshimuro recited from memory the answer taught to him by Tso-Liu-Feng, the Grand Sensei.
The guardman raised his blade. "I will destroy you, barbarian!" He shouted, charging recklessly in Yoshimuro's direction. The armored attacker never saw the kick coming. Lightning fast and connecting with the force of a dwarven warhammer, it caused the guardsman to fly backwards into a produce cart.
Yoshimuro approached the stunned gaurdsman and raving merchant.
"I will pay for any damages." He said.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 06:47:22 PM »
“So then I tell ‘er that she’s no better then a bar wench, and leave.� Flypipe said with a grin, finishing his narrative.

Ander giggled. “I told you that she was bad for you. Took you awhile to realize it, you dumb sot.�

Flypipe shrugged. “Eh, you live and learn. We have enough time to make little mistakes.�

The two Effin kin trod down the dusty road, brother and sister untied once again on the road. Booted feet and short strides made deceptively quick work of the miles, the two raises a small cloud of dust behind them on the dry road.

Flypipe was dressed for the weather, wearing no armor at all, having sold it off after a mercenary job in North reach. He wore loose cotton short breeches, dusty from the road, a equally loose cotton tunic cut off at the shoulders, a broad brimmed straw hat, and beaten leather sandals. He carried a sack slung across his front, holding his few traveling possessions, and over his back, a heavy crossbow.

Ander was dresses in a different manner. She had her old fighting leathers on, slit at the sides for ventilation, and her boots were calf high , dyed black and silver toed. Across her brow was a bright orange headband, marking her as the Orange Fury. She had a silver pendant laced around her neck, a warding against thievery, and carried no sack. Slung on her belt were two slim throwing blades, a top closed quiver of black fletched arrows. Over her back was a simple longbow.

Both the Red Elve’s weapons were heavily magic imbued, as most Effin weapons were. Flypipe’s crossbow was a heavy Old Yew bow, with a 175 pound pull, devastatingly accurate and deadly up to 75 yards. When not berserk, which was often, Effin magic made the pull of the bow far less, rating only up to 60, just enough to pierce leather at 50 yards, chain when closer. Also, the weight was made far lighter when he was not in a rage. But when the magic detected Flypipe’s blood stirring, the pull was increased, as well as the weight, enough power to piece plate at 60 yards. Ander’s bow was also Old Yew, a long bow imbued with accuracy enchantments, as well as a blood spell that cast a ‘lighting arrow’ effect on her next shot, a devastating blow. The bow had a 75 pound pull, but a far greater range then her brother’s crossbow, killing at 100 yards with the enchantments.   Ander’s blades were Effin tempered steel, unbreakable by any physical force.

Flypipe nodded at the tree down the road. “See her?�

“Seen her for the past five minutes. What’s your take on it?� Ander replied.

“Feels friendly enough. You?�

“Same. Wonder who she is...� Ander muttered as the woman stepped out into the sun. “Hail!� Ander called out, giving the woman fair warning to their path. She stood, and seemed to wait for their approach.

“Hail to you.� The woman greeted.

“You heading to Enderdale?� Flypipe asked.

“Might be. Depends how the wind takes me.�

“Wind‘s not taking anyone anywhere today. Too bloody hot.� Flypipe muttered.

Ander glanced over at her brother. “I am Ander  Portocolin y Eulfae, of North Settlement. This is my brother, Flypipe Distries y Eulfae, of the same.â€? She offered a hand in greeting. “Who might you be?â€?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 08:46:35 PM »
Yoshimuro stepped from the city steps, wiping sweat off his brow. In this blazing weather he did not doubt the tales that Orks were made for the north, and cursed the dark olive color of his skin.
"Withstand as the mountain, endure as the stone." He recited, a mantra learned after many years in the monastery. Beneath his heavily muscled arm, he carried scrolls of application for the order and a case of fresh fruit. The monastery didn't need fruit. But he had to pay for damages somehow. Beneath his heavy brows his eyes were alert, and blue, not yellow like most Orkish eyes.
Ahead, he saw three figures on the road. He knew this road. And this road had many bandits. He prepared for battle.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 09:36:41 PM »
The woman called out to her.  "Hail!"
Aliana called back, "Hail to you."
They exchanged some more words, and the woman introduced herself and her brother.  "Who might you be?" she asked.
Aliana shrugged.  "I am called Aliana de Cienn.  I last lived in Drinen Wood, in the house of... friends."  It dawned on her that she had no idea of how to describe the Ladies and make it short.
She looked over the pair.  The man was dressed sensibly, but the woman was dressed as if she expected trouble.  The both of them looked like people who shouldn't be messed with.  The woman certainly looked very impressive.  
Aliana knew she probably didn't look anywhere near as intimidating.  She was wearing well-worn leather arm and leg guards, and a leather vest that doubled as armor.  Under that she wore a pale green shirt and sturdy black trousers.  Her boots were sturdy as well, but were scuffed and scarred, and very, very dusty.  But a closer look showed that she too was a force to be reckoned with.  She had the lean, wiry build of a practiced fighter, and a scar could be seen on her shoulder, peeking out from the collar of her shirt.  She wore a black patch over her left eye, and another scar was visible under it.  Her longsword, probably the best cared for thing she owned, was in a sheath across her back.  She also kept a daggar in one of her boots.
Meanwhile, she had realized why the build of the other two people had seemed so off.  They had the porportions of elves, but were much shorter than most elves.  It was a disconcerting mix, but now that Aliana had realized it, she paid it no mind.  It probably wasn't important.
As she stood there, something else caught her attention.  Someone else was approaching.  She suddenly remembered that, among other things, the Ladies had warned her that bandits frequented this area.  She didn't think these two were; they hadn't attacked her yet.  But that didn't mean that every one who traveled this road was an honest traveler.  She squinted; the fellow approaching was an ork.  That didn't necessarily mean anything, but still.  "You know," she said conversationally, "I hope I'm mistaken, but we might be in for a little trouble."  She pointed out the approaching figure.  Aliana's personal philosophy was not to attack until she was threatened, but if the ork did mean anyone harm, he would regret it.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 08:53:49 AM »
Ander cast a lazy eye over the aproaching figure. “How’z he feel to you?” She drawled to her brother.

Flypipe smirked. “Reminds me of old Cap Robins. Stiff old sot. Dangerous, but no harm to us honest travelers.”

Ander grinned. “Same.”

“What’s this feeling you talk about?” Aliana asked.

Flypipe started walking again. “Legacy of Eulfae blood. Mom and her family always had a knack for telling if people were baddies or not. It comes in handy.”

Ander adjusted her orange headband, and followed her brother, the tall human following. “So, Aliana de Cienn. You have much business in Enderdale?”

Aliana shrugged.

“Well, if your looking for a party, i’m trying to get one together. Looks like i’ll be taking a jaunt down Damb Road, bandit clearing work. Could always use a sword slinger like yourself. Looks like you know how to handle one.”

Once Flypipe was closer to the Ork, he grinned disarmingly, and slowed his pace. “Hey there. How’s the road?”

“Passable enough for honest people, getting dangerous for the others.” The Ork said in a low tone.

“Good thing i’m the honest type, bucko. I mean you or any travelers no harm. Not that I would wanna tangle with you. Your a sturdy one, if anything.”

Ander stepped in. “We have business in Enderdale. So unless your the type to meddle, let us pass.”

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 10:23:25 PM »
---

We interupt this RP to bring you a quick doodle by Cleckmoon:
http://www.geocities.com/cleckmoon/Effin.jpg
Ander and Flypipe, done in sucky Cleckmoon cartoon style. She promises to have a better one made soon. Untill then, RP, you poofs.

*EDIT* I hate Geocities.

--

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 11:12:49 PM »
Though they were a vile looking crew, the male Effin had seemed friendly enough. Keeping a wary eye on the ruffian creatures, Yoshimuro turned to make his way down the road. His loose monk's garments of white silk billowed as a cooling breezed blew up, but that quickly gave way to a cloud of dust. He turned back to the others.
"Perhaps our paths will cross again...If the spirits of the wind wish it." He said esoterically, giving them the palm-forward signal so common among this region's travellers.
"Maybe we will!" said the male Effin, grinning.
Yoshimuro wondered for a moment why they had not recoiled in horror at meeting an Ork. Perhaps it was the strange looks that Effin sometimes drew in cities and regions such as this. The Ork knew the looks all too well.
"May my step be as quick as the wind." He said under his breath as he began to jog down the road. He did not want to be away from the monastery much longer.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 11:46:33 PM »
Aliana looked after the ork in bemusement.  "Y'know, I think we scared him."  She kept walking with the other two.  "Anyway.  Bandits on Damb Road, huh?  Sure, I'll tag along with you.  I could use some money."  Besides, these two are interesting.  Even if they don't have any information, I still think it would be worth it to keep up with them.  And it would be safer to travel in a group.  "So.  I guess we head for Enderdale."  And maybe, just maybe, there will be someone there who knows who I am.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2003, 11:01:02 AM »
Yoshimuro tramp down the dusty highway, considering the strange trio he had encountered. Two effins and a human. A very battle-worn human. Different. Lost in thought, Yoshimuro wandered into the path of a convoy of horses.
"Get back, Ork! You'll never have our merchandise!" one of the riders said apprehensively, looking down at the muscular ork with fear in his eyes.
"Your merchandise is not to my interest. But news is. Is there any news about the Monastery of Four Winds?"Yoshimuro answered, holding out his hand in greeting.
"Monastery of Four Winds? You mean the place that was ransacked?" the rider asked curiously, still looking suspiciously at Yoshimuro. "That old tower was sacked a few days ago"
Yoshimuro froze. Sacked?
"Who! Who was it!?" Yoshimuro growled, fire in his eyes.
"I, I think it was some of them bandits." the rider answered back.
I shouldn't have been away so long! Yoshimuro thought angrily charging down the road towards his monastery home.

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2003, 07:36:08 PM »
“Kit and kaboodle! Don’t know doodle! Hey ho hidiley aie eeeee!� Ander sang lustily, tromping down the road. Flypipe rolled his eyes, and the human looked pained by Ander’s singing.

“No future! Hey! Ho! No future, no future... Pipe, why are you pretending to choke?� Ander said, looking back at her brother.

“I’m sorry, what did you say? I’ve gone a bit deaf.�

“Ha ha. Very funny. You’ll deal with worse once we get up to those gates.� The orange Fury said, pointing up the cluttered road to the Enderdale entry road. Carts and all sorts of travelers had passed them on their way walking to the trading town.

Enderdale was a large, prosperous roadside station along the trading route, having access to a large lake, which in it’s self was a trade route west, across the lake to the Wall, a prosperous metal ore trading town. Enderdale was built up from the junction between the road and the lake, people buying and selling constantly, using the town as an outlet for their economy.

Flypipe pointed over to a large stone building standing off from the town trading center. “That’s where I heard any willing parties were to head. To the Enderdale emmisary building.�

“Huh. That’s where all the bigwig traders get invited to. Any clue as to the  hiring party?â€? Ander asked.

“Mining collective from Wall. The head guy is Igaie Grow esu Bluereach Mastery, First Stone.�

The nonesense Flypipe had just rattled off had actually been the full title of the lord of Wall, in west mine steading terminology. Ander’s eyebrows lifted a notch.

“Ooh arr. Rich guy. Wonder why he cant get an army or something to do his work? He’s gotta have some sort of contingent.� Ander comented.

“He has no hold or friends down the Damb road. Hell, everyone south of Enderdale hates him because of his gigantic hikes on Wall ore.� Flypipe said.

Aliana looked at Flypipe, a bit puzzled. “If he makes the prices so high, why dont the metal workers buy from someone different?�

“Because Wall steel comes from the High Wall, an enchanted iron ore deposit. Baslisks and the like used to roam over there. The iron ore from High Wall is incredibly easy to beat into steel, and it’s really fine grade steel, in about half the time it takes to beat most other ore into any half decent grade steel. Until Grow took over, the High Wall steel was pretty reasonably priced, considering it’s attributes. When Grow took hold of things, he put huge import fees on everything, saying that the High Wall is nearly out of steel. He’s gonna try and get all he can out of the last dregs.�

“I dont see what’s so unfair about that.� Aliana commented. “The supply goes down, prices go up.�

“Yeah, but the thing is, they just discovered an unholy amount of silver in the lower High Wall. And, stupidly, Grow is flooding the market with cheap silver now. You’ll probably notice that this has inflated everything. With the gold supply bad the way it is, it takes nearly twenty bars of silver to amount a bar of gold.�

“So, he’s making gold go up, and silver go down. What’s he take in trade for the iron ore?� Aliana asked.

“Gold.� Flypipe said simply.

“Aie.� Ander said. She then turned to Aliana. “So, you gonna stick around with us?�

Aliana shrugged.

-

After waiting a good half hour in the main hall. Flypipe and Ander were finally taken into see Grow.

Grow was a fat man, having lived very well all his life. His hands were soft, and cheeks were fleshy and pale. He was dressed in fine silks, and waved a fan to his face to keep off the heat. His beady eyes looked over Ander and Flypipe.

“Your here about the Damb road assignment?�

“Aye sir. I am Flypipe Distries y Eulfae of North Settlement. This is my half sister, Ander Portocolin y Eulfae, of the same.�

Ander placed a finger to her brow, and the orange heaband. “You might know me by my other name, the Orange Fury.�

“You did work for the Wall court five years ago. I remember you.� Grow commented, settling into his chair.

“Then you’ll know my policies. I’ll need financing up front for hiring on fighters, equip, as well as a retainer for my services, and I keep all the swag I can haul.�

Grow nodded. “Done. I know your work. I’ll finance up to one thousand full silver, and your retainer will be the same.�

“I want it in gold.� Ander said in a low tone. “I know how the silver situation is in Ender. I cant throw around any weight with one kay silver. Gold does the talking, and you know it.�

Grow blinked. “Who are you to talk to me in that way, mercenary?�

Flypipe took a step forward, and pulled a medalion off his neck, throwing it on the table the lord was seated at. The medallion was cast in platinum, and etched with dwarven mastery, a screaming catamount  with a red enamel overlay, enchanted to reflect the purity of the Effin Blood that held it. The moment Grow touched the medalion, the catamount turned a pale yellow, and it’s screaming face softened into nothing but a purr.

Grow tossed the medallion back, disgusted. “Red Elves.�

“I know your Elven overlords hate us, but we’re the ones that can get the job done. Jaeger Red tells no lies.� Flypipe said, noting the name of the color his medallion reflected, picking it up, and handing it to his sister. Once again, the medallion changed colors, reflecting a near blinding bright orange flare, and the catamount’s face transformed into a sly one.

Grow snorted. “There’s no doubt. Fine. Your financed 50 full gold, but your retainer stays in silver. Your full pay on your return will be given in whatever we have. Worth up to 200 gold.�

“Done. Give me a map and your outline.� Ander said.

-

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 06:51:51 PM »
Ashes.

All in ashes, the fine nightwood dojo floors burned away, the ancient Wind Style martial art scrolls stolen or charred. Only bare stone now, only an empty shell.

What could have done this? Yoshimuro thought, Surely no mear rabble of bandits could defeat and destroy the skillful monks of the Monastery of the Winds.

He grabbed a fistful of ashes and dust, muttering a prayer. "Take the remains, oh mighty Wind God, and may they find peace in the land of the dead."

He released the fistful into the blowing breeze and turned to face Damb Road.

These bandits would find more than just money coming from the Monastery of the Winds.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 06:53:15 PM »
OOC Message:
Sorry about the all italics. It was a mistake.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 12:20:53 AM »
Aliana left the other two to go see about the job.  She decided to go look around the marketplace, see if they had anything worth the trouble of buying.  She had some coin, but inflation was so very out of hand that it wasn't likely she could afford anything.  She did remember where the stalls were that sold the supplies they'd need, and hoped that Ander and Flypipe would sucessfully negotiate expenses.
She wandered around a little more, and finally ended up by the horse sellers.  She walked around them, admiring the noble animals.  She was particularly intrigued by a brown charger, which had a peculiar white patch on its chest.
"Can I help you, milady?"  The owner approached, and was evidently hoping to make a sale.
"It's possible."  As much as she wanted to be careful with her money, she was tempted.  These are some fine beasts.  Especially that one."  She pointed out the charger.
"You wouldn't want that one, milady.  He's as mean as an ork sometimes.  I have some beautiful blackies, perfect for a lady."
"I'm afraid I'm not much of a lady."  Aliana turned to face him fully.  He stuttered a little when he saw the scar on her face and the eyepatch.
"I... I suppose not.  A warrior then.  I have some excellent chargers..."
"Duly noted."  She kept watching the big brown one.
"Look, mil- miss, to be frank, that is the meanest horse I've ever laid eyes on.  You'd get hurt, and I don't want that on my conscience.  I've had every one I know try to gentle that horse, and they all ended up thrown half way to town center."
"Surely you're exaggerating."
He lost his patience, sale or no.  "All right, fine.  You know so much about wild horses, you go in there.  You go in that pen and get on that horse, and stay up there, without getting your neck broken, and I'll give you the d**n animal.  And the tack."
"Eh?"
"I'm serious.  I'm tired of people telling me my business.  Either way I win.  You actually do it, and I'll get rid of it.  No one else will buy it; they're afraid of him.  Plus he riles the other horses.  He throws you, which is the most likely case, well, you'll have some sense knocked into you at least and you'll leave me alone."
She knew it was a silly thing to do.  But she was certain he was seriously exaggerating the case.  That was why she climbed the fence.  Halfway across, she decided he was right, and she was a fool.  The horse was rearing like mad.  But she wasn't going to back out of this now.  She dodged around his hooves, and managed to grab hold.  The stallion didn't like that at all.  He reared some more, and snorted angrily.  She jerked his head level with her own, and held it there for a moment.  "Now you stop that right now," she said crossly.  "You're making a fool of the both of us."
It was the oddest thing.  The horse reared some more, then pricked it's ears forward when she spoke.  Its nose flared open, like it was smelling something, and then he calmed down completely.  "That's more like it."
She waited to make sure that the horse really was calmed down, then swung up onto its back.  It was a little tricky to do it bareback, but she made it.  She trotted the horse over to the fence.  The merchant looked like he'd never get his jaw back in place.  "You said something about the tack?"
"I'll have someone get it for you..."  He was stunned, and probably would be for a while.  He motioned at a stable boy, who ran into a small shed near the pen.  He returned carrying the bridle, reins, and saddle equipment.  Aliana helped him put the tack on the charger.
"I'd like a bill of sale, please."
"Yes... of course..."  The merchant, still dazed, made out the requested document.  Aliana did not want to take a chance later that he'd try to get the horse back when he snapped out of it.
As she started back towards the center of town, a thought occurred to her.  The others might not want to walk either.  She had some gold coins, and they would buy substantially more here than in other places.  It might be a good idea to get a couple more horses... No.  She didn't know if either could ride, and it would be foolish to waste her money.  But she had an idea.
She went back to the horse dealer, and enquired about how much two of the slightly smaller horses would be.  He might have still been shaken, but he still was a business man.  He named a figure.  Aliana raised an eyebrow.  Even allowing for the inflation, it was substantially lower than it should be.  "I'll keep it under consideration.  I may be back shortly."

When Aliana made her way back to the main hall, she saw Ander and Flypipe coming her direction.  They were probably just setting out to look for her.  Flypipe grinned.  "We thought you'd decided you didn't want to hang around after all."
Aliana shook her head.  "Nah, just got a little distracted."
Ander noticed the horse.  "Why did you buy a horse?  Wasn't that a little... premature?"
"Actually, I didn't buy it.  I won it on a bet of sorts.  His name's Eclipse."  That was what the white blaze on his chest was shaped like.  He nickered softly, seemingly in approval.  "Anyway.  So, did we get the job, and what do we do next?  Oh, the guy I won Eclipse from gave me an excellent price if we wanted to get two more horses, in case you don't want to walk."

Offline Cleckmoon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2003, 06:49:25 PM »
(Note to all: I’m making up my own economy here. So my prices are going to seem kinda low and off.)

“That was actually on my list of things to buy. Not tops, considering I need to outfit Flypipe, and get my kit repaired, and hire on a few helper bunnies, but up there.  There’s a lot we have to worry about for a job this size.â€?

“So, you ride?� Aliana asked.

“A bit.� Flypipe said with a shrug.

“Ignore him,� Ander said. “He rides quite well. He just dosn’t like to ride anything that’s not a Red Blood. Sixty years old and still spoiled on Uncle Bilicio’s horses.�

“A Red Blood?� Aliana asked.

“Finest horses in the world for an Efiin.� Flypipe said wistfully. “They move without any effort, their walk and trot is like riding on air, which they can do all day. Explosive sprints, too. Fiesty, but will do anything you ask them to.� He sighed. “My own Blueness was killed right under me in a fight, and she died fighting right to the end.�

“Flypipe, nobody cares.� Ander said in a bored tone.

“But.. I do..� Flypipe’s tone was hurt.

“Aliana,� Ander was quick to change the subject. “About your fee. How much do you want out of this? I have a bit of equipping cash, so I could stand to pay you a few gold, with more to come when we come back.�

--OOC: Anyone wanna hop on late? Plenty of room.--

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 01:59:30 PM »
Aliana thought.  "Well, I don't need that much equipment at the moment.  Just the basics, and that won't be too much.  I think for now, just enough to get what I need.  When we get back, an equal share of whatever we get out of this, I suppose.  And my equipment.  Does that sound fair?"  As she spoke, she was leading the others back toward the horse merchant who had promised her a bargain.  "This is the horse dealer I told you about."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2003, 05:45:51 PM »
As Flypipe and Ander looked at the horses, something caught Aliana's attention.  In the distance, a fluttering banner could be seen.  It was a standard of some sort, and the emblem was a large bird in flight clutching a sword.  Just like my medallion!  She looked at it, and looked back at the two Ettin.  "Um, guys, I'm terribly sorry, but I think I'll have to catch up with you later.  Something very important to me just came up.  So as much as I'd like the money, I can't go with you right now.  I may run into you later."
With that, Aliana mounted Eclipse, and rode in the direction of the banner.  It belonged to a small merchant convoy.  The merchants regarded her warily.  She didn't blame them; she probably didn't look very respectable.  "Whose crest is that," she asked, pointing at the banner.
"Count Tiadis.  He sponsored this trade convoy."
"Where can I find him?
"What?"
"Where can I find Count Tiadis?'
"Three weeks ride east.  The shortest way is Damb Road."
She thanked them, and started making her way to Damb Road.  She could hardly believe that it could be this easy.  And she might even be able to work with the two Ettin after all.  She rode for a little while without incident.  Then she saw a figure in the road.  Bandits?  Traveller?  She squinted, trying to make him out.  With a start, she realized it was an ork.  She looked again, standing up in the stirrups.  Not just an ork.  The same one from before, and he seemed to be moving with a determined stride.