llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for Victims in all the wrong places  (Read 2809 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Looking for Victims in all the wrong places
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:43:34 PM »
Well, so some of my games have trailed off to rather anticlimactic ends. No big deal. I am thinking of starting a new game in the moderated freeform but want to test the water before setting something up. A few facts, I like the Teen Titans, and recently watched The Incredibles.

Anyone up for a Supers game? I dont have an associated game materials or books, but I think I can wing a suitable villian and over the top action.

So, anyone interested? PM me if you want to discuss potential characters.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:45:06 PM »
EEEE-YES!
I'll PM you straight away!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:38:58 AM »
I'd love to join too,Scras.  :D
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »
Awesome!

Perhaps one more, but if not, this is plenty. Gothic Space Horror started off with too many people, and alot of the players dropped out, and the game kinda bled to death. Smaller, and faster paced might get a mod game through a full and complete story arc!

PM me with character info, dont post it, you will be joining together as mysteries to one another...[dramatic music]

Game on!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:49:15 PM »
IMO, it started with too many people and it was hard to fit one's posts into the chronology when people had moved way beyond your actions.

*raises hands and tail for supers game*

What sort of thing did you have in mind? What is the world background/ setting/ history? What power level are you really looking for (in terms of a given comic book)?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »
Power Levels, easy enough. I'm wanting to do something in the area of Teen Titans, or a slightly weakened version of Justice League. I dont wnat indestructable characters but style and personal flare are very important. Setting is current day, with supers being common enough that there could concievably be three to five in each major city. This should offer plenty of villians as well as outside help.

Not a big reader of comic books, and this has largely been influenced by too much Cartoon Network so relative levels could be gauged to Teen Titans, Static Shock, or Ninja Turtles for a combat super.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »
Do you want Golden Age, Silver Age, Dark Age, New Age?

Any magic (many superhero stories feature magicians)? Cyborg heroes? Other dimensions?
Can I play an alien?

(Sorry, not to be irritating. Just finding my options here. :) )

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 09:05:09 AM »
Scras,could I have a day or two to come up with a reasonbally good character ? I don't want to rush the creation process.  :wink:
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 03:19:08 PM »
There is no rush Mag, but I wouldnt mind starting in about a week or so.

As for the ages, I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to Cap'n. Aliens are okay, so long as it is a humanoid alien and within the general power guidelines. So no superman, predators, or H.R. Giger aliens. Magic is perfectly acceptible, but it would be fast and flashy, rather than Lovecraftian type dusty scrolls and splintered sanity. Cyborgs are completely cool, as are beings from alternate planes, and from alternate time periods.

The setting will have a lot of give in believability, so a blue skinned alien might pass himself off as a street performer, or some other prop actor in his secret identity.

Key things, important!

1. Every superhero must have a functional secret identity.
2. Every superhero must have a weakness
3. Every superhero must have a specialty

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 04:32:22 AM »
Scras,do all our characters have to be full fledged super heros that have attined a certain level of experience,when they meet up? If it's all right with you,I was thinking of doing something along the lines of a fairly young individual who has yet to maximise the full potential of his gift. Secondly,are we supposed to be born with our abilities,or do we have to get involved in some kind of freak accident to get them?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »
I would like to see something like junior super heros, still learning the ropes, whicvh would fit in pretty good since I will be learnign the ropes meself. I've had zero experiance in a supers game. Plus, i noticed that the majority of my inspirations come from adolescent superheros on cartoon network. How you come about your powers is your own deal, this isnt the X-men where everyone shares a common source of power. Now that being said nothing says you cant be a mutant and just evolved your powers.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 11:25:49 PM »
So we are looking at a Static Shock level game....

Teen super heroes.....

With a city that has had a couple of supers in the past...

And we are the new kids who might someday take their place...

We are not the Teen Titans or some Jr Justice Leage or please help me "The Allegiance of Sidekicks".

We all come from a variety of backgrounds with unique powers...

Does that about sum it up?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 03:23:59 PM »
that is just about perfect Moon.

I still need to hear something from the Penguin, but other than that the ball seems to be rolling pretty good now.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 07:30:37 PM »
Yeah, yeah, hold up.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 10:46:17 AM »
Hey man I want to join! Pleeeese? I just need to catch an episode of teen titans, I've seen it before but I don't quite remember what level their powers were around, and besides, what's a superhero story without at least one female superhero in spandex? I just need to think out the specifics of my character then I'll get back to you Scras, and whenever you want to start the thread, I'm pretty good at jumping in after things have started if I haven't finished planning my char out yet. but it shouldn't take too long  :wink:

could you also give out a general Idea of what has already been used for super powers so we don't have the same general characters. or when I send you my character sheet could you let me know if some people have that same power.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
Andimia, you make a valid point of the group needing a female aspect. Can you commit to post generally three times a week, the pace I'd like to run the game. I have this vague hope of actually reaching a conclusion rather than having the game run out due to characters and players dropping out.

If you can keep up this pace, I dont think there will be too much of a problem. I'm not going to leak the players powers, as no one is privvy to their powers or weaknesses other than myself. I would like to keep it this way so that the characters retain some personal mystery even to each other. Secrets are a common theme among superheroes. Just PM (private message) me with your character info like everyone else has, and I will get your PC set up. If you are planning on playing a spandex clad heroine, I dont think there is much danger from character overlap.

I am thinking that the game will start in perhaps 2 or 3 days.

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 04:37:20 PM »
I am looking forward to reading this, nice idea Scras.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 01:46:01 PM »
hehe, don't worry, i'm on at least once a day to check the other thread that i'm in. I have my character mostly completed, just need to work on her personality a bit more.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 09:35:48 AM »
So,Scras,when do we get this show on the road?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 05:05:37 PM »
I havent heard anything more from Andimia so I must unfortunatly assume that she is not going to join this little venture. Thus, I will lay out a few details herein, and open the thread for the game to begin.

Setting: Van Buren City

Called the VBC by those in the know, and those who want to sound like they are in the know. This large city located in an ambiguous location on the Eastern Seaboard is a geographically large and diverse locale. The city is built around a large harbour, and was Port Van Buren until 1915 when the shipside industries fell alongside the growing steel industry. It was a few years later that Detroit stole Van Buren's thunder and became the steal capital of the US.

The city retains a large population through economic diversity. Textile mills, coal mining, shipping, and heavy industry are all well represented along with the well accepted, if not Ivy League UVB. The city has an advanced power grid, thanks to having a substancial nuclear power plant, and associated safeguards. The military retains a small base, Abigail Airforce Base, which serves both the air force and the marines.

The population is in the vicinity of 500,000 but a large percentage is below the national average. Crime is common, and the police are often overtaxed trying to contain the drug dealing and petty violence. Vigilantes are nothing new to Van Buren city, and the police often turn a blind eye to their activities, so long as things dont get out of hand.

The First Supers
1946, unbeknownst to the local populace, Doctor Herrman Reinquist formerly of the Nazi special weapons and research center, had moved into town. The doctor used monstrosities of metal, walking tanks and flame cannons to hold the city hostage in a plan to create a safe haven for other escaped Nazi's. This was not to happen.

In times of need, there will rise a hero. Apparently from common roots came a vigilante of outstanding posture...Ultraman! This hero repeatedly thwarted Reinquist and his band of Ex-nazi cronies. The populace rejoiced to hear his exploits on the radio, they had a super like upscale Gotham and Metropolis. This was the way of things for many years.

...But Ultraman grew old. It was time to hang up the cape and put away the mask, but the hero couldnt lie down. Heroes dont retire, they dont move to condos in southern Florida. They face their arch-nemesis and are slain in a glorious, selfless way that inspires others to take up the mantle of herodom. Still, that didnt take the grey out of his hair, or the fact that Renquist, his great nemesis was ten years in the grave.

...more to come