llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ok. I ofiicially love Linux.  (Read 2640 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Ok. I ofiicially love Linux.
« on: April 30, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »
Ok, I downloaded, burned, and had Linux running on my system in around 30 minutes. I'm using Slax, which runs off the cd, so I can go back to Windows whenever I want to. This thing is cool. Really cool. And it looks slick too. Checka ita outa:

It auto-detected all of my network stuff so I could get on the internet as soon as it launched. It's really good because I have it in case Windows starts to screw me around.

Offline Loki

• Apprentice
    • http://symphonyexperimental.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 06:08:45 AM »
Mandrake is it? At least it's not Red Hat because RH is better for advanced users and Mandrake is better for beginners, have fun using linux!  :D
I'm a god. I can shape-shift. I can create stuff out of nothingness. I can alter the fabric of reality. So please quit being a knucklehead.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 07:09:35 AM »
Hmm... It says Slax everywhere you know...

Initialize update process for Loki...
Initializing...
Updater v1.0.1 up and running...
Begin text:
-Mandrake is no more and has become Mandriva (after a merge).
-Mandrake/Mandriva has been known to be user friendly, but they are losing their edge in this regard.
-Red Hat has become RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) which cost money, or the free core of that project which is named Fedora Cora. Normal Linux users outside a corporation who use Red Hat nowadays usually use Fedora.
-Currently popular distros are Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.
End text
Shutting down Updater v1.0.1
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 08:25:47 AM »
Installing Linux................................complete
Initiating Opera................................complete
Initiating Dual Monitor......................fail
Initiating Dual Monitor......................fail
Initiating Dual Monitor.....................complete (finally!!)
Initiating Quanta.............................complete
Initiating Strolen V2.0 download.....complete
Initiating Apache+MySQL+PHP......working

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 08:38:15 AM »
Quote from: "Loki"
Mandrake is it? At least it's not Red Hat because RH is better for advanced users and Mandrake is better for beginners, have fun using linux!  :D

Yeah, but I've moved on to Suze. I like exploring all the different versions of Linux :)

This is a screenshot of my desktop. I like the normal desktop for now but later down the road I will customize it.#

Offline Loki

• Apprentice
    • http://symphonyexperimental.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 09:36:06 PM »
Initialize update process for Loki...
Initializing...
Updater v1.0.1 up and running...
Begin text:
-Mandrake is no more and has become Mandriva (after a merge).
-Mandrake/Mandriva has been known to be user friendly, but they are losing their edge in this regard.
-Red Hat has become RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) which cost money, or the free core of that project which is named Fedora Cora. Normal Linux users outside a corporation who use Red Hat nowadays usually use Fedora.
-Currently popular distros are Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.
End text
Shutting down Updater v1.0.1
I know what happened to Mandrake, but not to the others, thanks for the info, Ancient Gamer! and for people learning how to use linux, get the Mastering Linux CD from APC Magazine, that'll help immensely!  :D
I'm a god. I can shape-shift. I can create stuff out of nothingness. I can alter the fabric of reality. So please quit being a knucklehead.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Ok. I ofiicially love Linux.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:19:54 PM »
Just installed Fedora Core 4, got the dual monitor system working, loaded up Opera immediately and got my favorite PHP editor working. Downloading the Citadle Code now and I am moving all my production into Linux. Finally, after 8 years of messing with the darn thing I am actually making it my primary. Slowly I will convert all that I do to it but I may have some learning curve with burning discs.

Yeah Linux!

Level 3

Offline wildcorn

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 08:50:47 AM »
Linux is my current operating system of choice. I've been using Gentoo for about 2 years now.

Its way more productive =)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 04:26:37 PM »
Heard a lot of good things about that too. My only reasoning behind Fedora was that the webservers I use (will use) usually use that as their core so I figured I would stick with it for familiarity. My actual first choice would have been slackware since I am a masochist and minimalist. :)

...and I have made the full transition. Windows is kept around for the rare circumstance that I haven't quite found yet.

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
Actually, what window manager do you use?

KDE seems like a must for any managing of the computer, I use KDE for all my production stuff. Only because fluxbox installed bad and I can't get the darn thing to work. I just downloaded enlightenment DR17 to give a try but haven't gotten around to it.

Any preferences?

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:47:07 PM »
Linux is overrated.

It IS good, but not THAT good. It is better than Windows in many regards, yes, but the hype can become sickening at times. The best thing about linux is that the command line users rapidly increase their Computer Science knowledge.

Still I'd choose Windows any day for multimedia, office or graphical work (okay, MAC might be better in the last case). When people begin to holler about Open Office or Star Office I just wanna shove a pumpkin down their fanatical yaps.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 03:24:59 PM »
On my pos machine, (NOT the one i'm using now), I have fedora core 3 running a dual boot off hda1(my only hd, before any linux fanatic complains,) with windows xp for running voice to text and games.
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 01:24:35 PM »
I switched from Fedora 4 to Unbuntu today. Biggest pain in the ass was the dual monitor setup that took me 2 hours to figure out. Fedora has a nice GUI to make set it up, Unbuntu was hand editing the xorg.conf file until you figure it out on your own. Finally got it now so I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, a couple hours to install my applications and get my backup back on and I am ready for production again.

I moved from Fedora because its update process was annoying. yum was intermittent at best and I fell behind on a couple updates and none of the servers carried the necessary files to then update the rest. So you were forced to hunt around at rpm depositories and find each separate rpm. Unbuntu is suppose to be fully supported for like 18 months or something so if I fall behind a bit in my updates then it should still work. Anyway....

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Upgrading Ubuntu again now. I want all the cool toys and gadgets that the new one comes with and lessons have been told to do a clean install vs. an upgrade.

What really drove me to upgrade was my intention on developing on my local machine vs. on the live environment as I have been. That is a big no-no in the real world and I figured it was well beyond time to save you from my tinkering. So I update Ubuntu, install LAMP and play without worrying about breaking stuff. With the Ajax and OOP developing I plan on doing to it, it is probably a good idea.

Yes, the Linux hype is overrated but I love not using microsoft. Makes my tummy feel all warm and bubbly. The only thing I use XP for is burning DVDs, Photoshop, and the occassional game. Can't think of much else I ever go to it for. Any writing I do I find Openoffice does it fine and saves a .doc so I can send stuff to work if I must. Me likey Linux very muchy!

Level 3

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:47 AM »
Me, I made the jump after a brief encounter with Vista. So little was enough for an old Windows user.

Not that Ubuntu was perfect; especially if you have odd hardware, there can be problems (oh, the fun with laptops). But newer versions are generally much better, and if you look a bit around when buying that new notebook, there won't be any surprisesg

For DVD burning, I recommend K3B; for looking at moving pictures, VLC. XP is still around for the few pieces of hardware only intended for Windows, awaiting the day when they will be also supported by Linux.

And the occasional game, of course.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.