llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Adobe buys Macromedia  (Read 2014 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:08:24 AM »
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html

This is great! Two of the biggest creative software company's combining. This will hopefully make a seamless connection between their program's and save lots of time in using the differend program's these company's make. I'm definetly going to have a great advantage of this in the future.

I really am expecting some better products. The guys at Macromedia are awesome with Flash and Dreamweaver. Adobe knows Photoshop and menu interfaces. Combined these with Adobes awesome customer service, and you've got yourself a stable operation. I'm hoping for some changes to the Flash interface specifically. I know they have just announced this and the devs at Adobe are awaiting information for the Macromedia products. Adobe will be making changes for sure to these, and I'm sure they will be awesome.

Offline Rob Lang

• Apprentice
    • http://www.icar.co.uk
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:36:54 AM »
I see it with mixed feeling. As two separate companies, they were competition for each other and so worked hard to produce better products than the other. Hopefully Adobe's huge financial backing will be made good use of in Macromedia.

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 07:07:42 AM »
Quote from: "Rob Lang"
I see it with mixed feeling.

Why, rather you should be rejoicing, especially a designer like you. Consider the possibility of some kind of a Flash, Photoshop combo. Imagine the possiblities!

As two separate companies, hey were competition for each other and so worked hard to produce better products than the other.

As is natural. And both of them brought out wonderful products. Now both of them are merging.  I expect even more wonderful products.

Hopefully Adobe's huge financial backing will be made good use of in Macromedia.

Were Macromedia in financial problems in the first place?

Offline Rob Lang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:09:21 AM »
Macromedia have never been the most profitable company in the world. This has somewhat stunted their growth. It's not a bad company but it is difficult to get monetary return out of software that has no direct industry link (like Adobe had with the publishing industry).

From my experience, it takes a very long time for two large companies to mould together and although their software is likely to be excellent, we'll have to wait.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:02:25 PM »
Interesting how much I don't care.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Pengilly

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »
Just a quick question there, Cap'n. why would you post if you didn't care? Isn't that just kind of ridiculous?Welll, whatever. Hooray for merging companies!
Bob Saget!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:21:57 PM »
Just for the fun of it. Y'know.
Just for ha-has.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Pengilly

• Journeyman
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »
Jest Fer s**tes and Giggles?
Bob Saget!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
Maybe we'll be lucky, and a new company with great new products will fill the inevitable void left from the new conglomerate resting from lack of competition &/or trying to get everything together.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 05:21:25 AM »
Macromedia have never been the most profitable company in the world. This has somewhat stunted their growth. It's not a bad company but it is difficult to get monetary return out of software that has no direct industry link (like Adobe had with the publishing industry).

Consider all the sites, that use swf animations. There is a lot of them, and I doubt they used any other company's software either. The Shockwave/Flash software distibution is simply HUGE. I can't contemplate any computer without it.

From my experience, it takes a very long time for two large companies to mould together and although their software is likely to be excellent, we'll have to wait.

Take a look at Sony Ericcson. They announced their combining and only a month later brought out the first phone with the words "Sony Ericcson" on it. I agree that we'll have to wait, but I'm hoping that this case will take a similar path.

Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
Interesting how much I don't care.

Whatever :|.

Quote from: "Pengilly"
Jest Fer s**tes and Giggles?

Quote from: "I"
Whatever :|.

Quote from: "Kinslayer"
Maybe we'll be lucky, and a new company with great new products will fill the inevitable void left from the new conglomerate resting from lack of competition &/or trying to get everything together.

I hope that this won't be the case. It's not really likely though. But it may be a while before any new programs are released due to the fact that Photoshop CS/8 was very recently released.

Offline Rob Lang

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:48:48 AM »
Nos, the corporate importance of Flash is minimal. It's a plug-in for animation. A corporate website is really only a small part of most companies - Marketting. Many sites use Flash and it is being adopted by advertising but it's still not the core driver for any business, like Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. These three products are, for many big businesses, the core product that they use and require. There are companies that use flash, of course, but these tend to be companies that are set up specifically for the creation of flash for other businesses.

Producing a phone with a logo on it and creating an application that welds the best parts of two companies together is not comparable. The application of technology for Macromedia and Adobe is very different. For example, if they produce a new version of Flash that works a lot like Illustrator but doesn't use the same interface of either - neither the Illustrator or the Flash community will be happy with it. There will need to be concessions. Merging two technologies that do not share common code will be very difficult indeed and someone is not going to be impressed with the result.

Generally, I'd like to think that the merging of these two companies will be a good thing. Separately, they have done very well and I hope their new size (and the inertia that goes with it) does not mean that they cannot evolve to meet trends. However, across the web are endless blogs/forum posts and so on waxing lyrical about the purchase without any consideration about the practicalities or the dangers of a purchase like this. Perhaps the Adobe shareholders might think Flash is not profitable enough (compared to the Adobe products) and they stop the product line. Unlikely but it could happen. More likely, Adobe might make people pay to download the Flash plugin - thus improving it's pofitability. These kinds of change of policy are precisely the sort of things that happen when one company buys another. I've been on the inside when these sorts of things have happened.

Optimistically, I am looking forward to the possibilities, being a long term user of products from both companies but at the same time I think it's wise to be cautious. Adobe bought Macromedia for a very good reason and I am willing to bet it wasn't because "We can make better products".

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Adobe buys Macromedia
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 11:52:34 AM »
I just hope they bring back/expand on Homesite. Macromedia bought it from Allaire and then buried it under their piece of crap Dreamweaver ( ;) ). I just hate WYSIWYG, Dreamweaver is the best of the bunch but when you are used to hand coding everything Dream just seems like so much overkill. Then again, I never admitted to be a "designer" either who problably love it. I am a "coder".

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Rob Lang

• Apprentice
    • Awards