llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What books do you read?  (Read 131337 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: What books do you read?
« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Read the script/screenplay online for the "Hateful Eight". Does that count as a book? :)

Man oh man, Tarantino invents amazing dialogue. Looking forward to the film.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »
Currently reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. Great debut novel that puts you into a fantasy empire in the midst of revolution. It's epic in scope, but manages to keep the number of main characters to a reasonable sum. Liu borrows liberally from Chinese history: without spoilers, I can see major figures like Qin Shi Huangdi, Liu Bang, and Han Fei reflected in the characters. That borrowing manages to create a unique setting that's a little foreign but very approachable. By Chapter 14 where I am now, the fantastic elements are limited to a few unusual animals, a guy with two pupils per eye, and dialogue between gods. There's a lot of world-building, but good characterization too. I'm already looking forward to the second in the series, which comes out in October.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
Currently reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. Great debut novel that puts you into a fantasy empire in the midst of revolution. It's epic in scope, but manages to keep the number of main characters to a reasonable sum. Liu borrows liberally from Chinese history: without spoilers, I can see major figures like Qin Shi Huangdi, Liu Bang, and Han Fei reflected in the characters. That borrowing manages to create a unique setting that's a little foreign but very approachable. By Chapter 14 where I am now, the fantastic elements are limited to a few unusual animals, a guy with two pupils per eye, and dialogue between gods. There's a lot of world-building, but good characterization too. I'm already looking forward to the second in the series, which comes out in October.

Just reading the excerpt, it feels personally to me as a Chinese that the inspiration for the series is the split/warring between Liu Bang, the founder of the Han dynasty with his sworn brother that is counted as a unique/substantial time period in ancient Chinese history.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »

Just reading the excerpt, it feels personally to me as a Chinese that the inspiration for the series is the split/warring between Liu Bang, the founder of the Han dynasty with his sworn brother that is counted as a unique/substantial time period in ancient Chinese history.
As a world history teacher, I've always thought the Warring States Period through the rise of the Han Dynasty was terribly interesting, certainly no less than the various feudal kingdoms of Europe. While I'd still like to see more historical fiction from that era (I'm sure there's some in Chinese, I just haven't seen much in English), it's fertile inspiration for a fantasy series.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: February 24, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »
As a world history teacher, I've always thought the Warring States Period through the rise of the Han Dynasty was terribly interesting, certainly no less than the various feudal kingdoms of Europe. While I'd still like to see more historical fiction from that era (I'm sure there's some in Chinese, I just haven't seen much in English), it's fertile inspiration for a fantasy series.

I'm not up to date with Chinese contemporary novels since I migrated to Australia since 12 and since then had just been reading English novels on the main. But from online Chinese novels that I do read now since the last 5 years, historical fiction seems to me to be an undernourished genre in Chinese. It's a strange thing cos 2 of the Four Classicals fall into the genre of historical fiction- Romance of the Three Kingdoms is obviously about the Period of the Three Kingdoms and the Water Margins is also set about the Song dynasty and stars main characters that are a mixture of real and imaginary characters according to Wiki (For a long time, I wasn't sure of this point but I think Wiki should be relatively trustworthy on broad points like that).

Anyway, talking about historical fictions/epic fantasy based on ancient Chinese history, I think I saw an ebook series about the Warring States Period in my random browsing (the link is here: http://www.amazon.com/The-State-Warring-States-Book-ebook/dp/B00B27S3P4)
Personally, I'm always cautious of fiction based on ancient China or Oriental setting written by Anglo-Saxons. They don't speak to me in a core way that really convinces me that I'm in an Oriental setting as opposed to a fake Oriental setting as observed by outsiders. So I haven't read this series, but just thought you might be interested given your own personal interest in that period.

On a slightly different track, there is this Jap author who write pretty good Jap historical fiction. I've only read his Taiko which really read like an epic fantasy to me except that it's based on a real historical character. Warning though is that people not particularly familiar with the Warring States period in Japan might not confused with all the Jap names in there cos it stars a massive cast. I assume that's no impediment to you, Dozus.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:27:09 PM by Moonlake »

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Half way through this cyber punk/detective novel.  I am enjoying in just as much as say Neuromancer or Altered Carbon.  It a has neat central neat Sci-Fi hook, though I am not sure I buy as veasiable even with carbon nanotubes (for one it requires they stop plate tectonics ). Like its predocesors in the genre it tries to push the envelope on how technology can change ethics and the "human experience". 

Anyway there is a promotion going on until Monday, the book is free if you download it from amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Planet-Simon-Gilberthorpe-ebook/dp/B01J9MTEL0

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »
The Webmage Series by Kelly McCullough is one I come back to every few months for a re-read. 5 books total, dealing with a child of the Fates as he hacks and cracks his way through the multiverse. If you like Harry Dresden as a character, you'll find Ravirn to be a kindred spirit. Greek mythology, migrated to the modern world.

The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson is large and dense (7 books, all within a few dozen pages of 500), but I loved it. It's definitely space opera, but that doesn't stop me from classifying it as solid scifi.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: August 25, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »
The Jack Reacher novels. Been having fun ripping through those at night. Unfortunately I end up finishing them in a couple days, but there are a lot of them so just slowly going through them.

Found one called Double Dead by Wendig. The premise captured me. A vampire that wakes up after an zombie apocalypse and can't find fresh meat. That sounds like fun. Just started it and it is a bit hard to read due to the chunky writing. Will read till he meets humans and if it doesn't get better I will dump it.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.