llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Usholal:Octopi with golems *  (Read 2031 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
The Usholal:Octopi with golems *
« on: April 02, 2005, 03:49:52 AM »
Ok,guys,I think you will find this thread rather interesting to experiment with.  It's an idea for a new aquatic race for my Eshal setting and represents a rather drastic change from the other races I have created. My thanks to MoonHunter for giving me many an idea to work with.

-The Usholal are race with very promieent octopi phsyiology. They move through propulsion and posses many appeandges that can be fitted with a variety of steel tools. They can also change color to reflect their moods.

-They are a race of thinkers,not doers. Linked to each other through telepathy,they harness the collective powers of their minds to command the great golems that do the heavy work for them. Think of them collectively as a powerful super computer.

-Are very prone to fits of brooding and have a tendency to wallow in self pity,due to their almost obssesive need to be alone,even among their own kind. If this becomes serious,it renders them into an almost comatose state where they are capable of only eating and excreating.

-Have strong pacifistic ideals and abbhor violence,but if made to feel that their very existance is in danger,they will wipe out the threat.  For this reason,you don't want to piss them off.

-Are isolationist and hide from the other races.

-Cherish equality and have no true govermant,choosing instead to hold councils where everyone can vote on ideas brought forward.

-Use arcane ancient aritfacts to power their tools that take commands from their minds. Unfortunately,these same artifacts draw the Black Ones,evil things of fearsome power.

-Culture is very philosphical and deals mainly with a world that is believed to co-exist beside the material one. Many feel that the second world is the real one,not the first.

Â Any thoughts on this,guys?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:41:37 PM by MoonHunter »
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild
    • Awards
The Usholal:Octopi with golems
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 09:46:58 AM »
A couple of things actually.

There innate adaptations would give them tendancies towards illusion, camoflauge, and mind magics. So they are using these abilities to protect and defend themselves, as well as entertain and develop a culture.

Their society (and its magic/ technology) are probably related to this. It should be pretty darn alien. (You finally find one of their superweapons and find out it is two silver spheres connected together by a red bead... and you don't have the small key like item and the telepathy to program it).

Given the world they are living on, they are probably hiding from any number of threats, including Black Ones (which their telepathic network would be vunerable) and violent shallow water dwellers. (These people probably live in the deep waters, down by the bottoms, in caves dug out by them and then their drones.

Since they are in a defensive mode, they are hiding mostly in a justified paranoid state, they are trapped in their own little rooms.  

(heck their own little city states might be in competition with each other, so they can be afraid of their own neighbors)

Their telepathic network might be better though of as an wireless internet connection rather than a mass mind super computer. (Expanding that, given their golem workforce, they are probably entertaining themselves and designing new intellectual constructs via this network as well).

I would have their telepathic network be an enhancement upon their natural telepathic powers.  Maybe these things are all wearing "headsets" which enhance their natural abilities and intellect.

I would think of them more as intellectual couch potatoes. They like being alone, yet like some degree of contact.

Their network would give them a very athenian democracy. Everyone could be seperate and individual, yet they could sharpen their minds through debate. Golem technology could keep them free from daily concerns, allowing them to be elitest intellectuals (the kind that run rampant on our internet). They probably use their "remotes" via this network.

Long ago, someone might of designed a couple of different drones as an experiment. Someone then realized that they could utilize them and built a few. (ew... I don't want to soil my mind with contact against those things... maybe we don't have to, we could use remotes... the little ones would not stop them... so we will build bigger ones...)

I am sure their "cities" are being dug out by silvery crab shaped golems. I am sure their territories are being defened by shark esk golems, backed up by huge monsterous things that keep other huge monsterous things (and smaller dangerous intelligent things) out of their teritories.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 09:59:12 AM »
I like the idea of them having competing factions among themselves. Would it be normal then,for a suspicious Usholal to put up some kind of fire wall when sending important information via the connection?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Pierson's Puppeteers
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 11:45:36 AM »
From "Pierson's Puppeteers" on Wikipedia...

...The cowardice is thought in Puppeteer society to originate with the Puppeteer instinct for turning one's back on danger. However, the trait is thought by many to actually originate from their herd instinct, as the instinct to turn one's back is linked to an instinct to kick the hind hoof at an attacker...

...Another noticeable behavioral trait is the coma state, broadly a cognate of the human fetal position — in the same way that ostriches are said to bury their heads in the sand, Puppeteers fold up into a ball, tucking their three legs and two heads underneath the padded cranial bulge. This is, in part, an explosion reflex, learnt from childhood. Their cowardice is also reflected in their architecture and object design, as all the Puppeteer-designed rooms and vessels have no sharp edges, everything curves into everything else, giving a "half-melted" look and meaning that objects are less likely to damage someone inadvertently, through their own carelessness...

...A courageous puppeteer isn't merely regarded as insane (as Nessus, one of the protagonists of the book Ringworld, mentions "the majority is always sane"), though, but is insane, showing symptoms we would associate with human mental illness, such as bipolar disorder, homicidal tendencies, clinical depression and so on. Incidentally, though, aside from the crew of the Long Shot, in the novel Ringworld, no human has ever met a sane Puppeteer, as no sane Puppeteer would ever leave the safety of the Fleet of Worlds (see below), and even those who do would not venture out without a painless method of suicide, in case circumstances required it...

Note the emphasis on safety and protection.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:17:59 AM »
Time to bring an old idea out of storage and put it to use..

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:49:01 AM »
With the Usholal remotely controlling golems, the "pc" would sort of be the golems, rather than the Usholal themselves. That is, it's the mechanical/magical body that's going out & doing adventurous things, with the Usholal themselves sitting back at home, on the sofa, eating cheesey poofs. It's almost a game-in-a-game sort of thing, not unlike SwordSphere (from the Runebearer forums).
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:45 AM »
Yeah,that was the idea I had in mind when I was inspired to put the Usholal on paper. Any Usholal technology that falls into human hands would introduce radical changes,yes?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 04:00:17 AM »
Possibly, if it's useable, as MoonHunter noted. Even if a particular bit of technology is useable and understandable to Humans, it still might not make much of an impact.  An Usholal device might be highly useful to a Human--perhaps even moreso than to its inventor--but not gain popularity among Humans.  Conversely, some of the most innane elements of Usholal culture may be quite readily picked up by Humans to widespread use.  As examples, a device may repair damaged protien chains. This would have a significant impact on medicine, but is largely dismissed as a curiosity.  However, a device consisting of little glowing balls spinning about an annulet--worn as a fashion accessory--may become so popular among Humans that they soon will feel naked without their headband of nuisance.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©