llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here  (Read 14647 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2003, 11:38:51 AM »
Freeda watched the gypsies take the Sionn into the stable. She looked straight up for several minutes before following them, arriving just in time to catch  Hishe's last statement.

"That would be helpful.  It easier to be on your guard when you know what you're up againest." She watches Hishe expectantly.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2003, 12:36:53 PM »
Hishe sighed; some Sionn had magic to heal themselves with. It was a gift he'd often found himself wishing for, rather than the staff and the gift of speed the Fox had blessed him with. Now was such a time - he'd not be able to fight effectively for a while with his hands like this. Still, as Freeda spoke, he nodded.

"The Sorcerer - Asarth, by name - is the only direct survivor of an ancient cataclysm. My people indirectly survived it, by fleeing when the land sank beneath the ocean's waves. All we know is that the thing which brought about the cataclysm sank with the land; we all vowed, saved Asarth, to ensure that it remained buried in the waters. To that end, out greatest living wizards and priests gathered their power, and brought three spirits forth to guide chosen groups as guardians. The Lugh, followers of the Flame, who stand guard at the ocean's edge - Asarth has yt to pass them, thankfully, and their power is great still. If any can pass them, however, Asarth will be the one. The second spirit was Maoon, the Lunar spirit, whose followers were guardians of the Shard and the Medallion. Their order was beaten by the Sorcerer some years ago, and he carried both Shard and Medallion now, and seeks to use them to raise the sunken land and retrieve the cataclysm's bearer."

The Sionn paused, and flexed his hands again. "The third order... Is the order of the Sionn, guided by the Fox. When others fail, we are called upon. We are the hunters, the trackers. In normal times, we enforce the sacred laws. In times like this... We hunt the ones who seek the evil beneath the waves. I was given to the hunt for the Sorcerer eight years ago, an have fought him many times. Each time he slips away, each time he becomes stronger. Since last I fought him, which was before the last time I visited my homeland, he has gained the alliance of the underworlds... And he closes ever faster on the place to use the Shard and Medallion. If he succeeds... Another cataclysm may be unleashed, and another land destroyed. I must stop him before he can release it..."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2003, 10:57:59 PM »
Freeda gives a low whistle. Great Tyche, What have I gotten myself into.

"Are there any others who hunt this Asarth? Seems like it's a fool's call to send one man after a sorcerer whose survived so long after so great an event. Almost akin to sending puppy to do the work of a pack...not that I doubt your skills." She begins to pace abit, before turning to the gypsies. "What do you think of the matter?" she asks.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2003, 07:46:17 PM »
Riisha shrugged.  "From what I've seen, that is not a fellow who can be handled by just one person.  In fact, that seems like a very bad idea.  But then, we've always fought as a group, so I don't know.  I do think that guy needs to be stopped, and rather soon."
"Aww... you don't like the old 'wipe out the world ploy,' Rii?"
"Shut up, Laren.  Ignore him.  He's drunk."  Derris looked around at the aftermath of the fight.  "There is the whole bit about him wanting something that could destroy an entire land, which I don't think anyone should have.  But I think what Riisha's talking about is, he could have killed a lot of people tonight.  If the fight had gone on any longer, I think he would have.  And he didn't care.  It's been our experience that he is precisely the type of person who sould not have power of any sort."
Riisha nodded.  "And it seems he has entirely too much of it now."
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2003, 09:48:31 PM »
Hishe simply shook his head. "The Sionn have never been man in number - and while three of us, each granted a different gift by Fox's power, were sent out, I am the only one to survive this far, and that solely thanks to the protections woven into my bracers and to the staff Fox gave me as fight with."

Again flexing the bandaged hands, he continued, "Asarth's survival is less of a suprise than might be expected, at any rate. The Sorcerer hides himself beneath cloth because his body is no longer... Whole. It looks like a thing from the grave, or a leper in the worst of the illness."

As the gypsies speak, he simply listens, and nods as they finish. "If he passes the Lugh, I - and perhaps the four of you, if you intend to aid me - will be the last thing remaining to stop him from finding the bringer of cataclysms and seeing it used again... I will not ask it of any of you to aid me, however. Fighting Asarth, especially this close to his former homeland, is almost certain death. I have a measure of safety from my bracers, but I cannot share it with any of you."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2003, 11:44:28 PM »
Shivers rolled down Asarth's crumbling spine.
This is the temple...Or used to be....The Lugh will be inside.
He lifted the medallion from his greatcoat, brushing finger-sized flakes of dead skin from it's silvery surface. Shaped as a replica of the lunar disk, complete with all the wounds of the moon, including impact craters and the great rift. The sorceror looked up through the thinning clouds to glimpse Luna in her journey across the sky, always chasing her lover Nastra, the Sky Warrior, He of Lightning Hair. He had loved watching the constellations and Luna when he was younger. His favorite was Barba, the Scorpion.
Asarth shook the thoughts from his head. No time for nostalgia.
He was prepared for the Lugh. They would fall before the night's end.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2003, 11:59:14 AM »
Freeda snorted. "Did you get hit on the head by that ugly thing earlier or are you just playing dumb? Luck put me in that bloody tavern just before your fight and Tyche will have my hide before she let's me dodge her wishes. Besides, didn't I already say that I was coming with you, either as a companion or a second shadow?"

She snorted again, then stood definantly before Hishe.

"If your story has done anything, it's made me determined to turn that walking pile of rags into a walking torch. So, I dare you to try and stop me from going after him!"

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2003, 10:46:58 PM »
Hishe smirked, faintly, as he slowly began to push the pain of his hands aside. There was no time for him to waste. "I merely repeat the warning because those who decide to accompany have an unfortunate tendency of ending up dead, and I'm not one blessed with the power to return life to the dead."

Slowly pulling himself to his feet, Hishe shook his head. "If you wish to come, then I advise you to make yourself ready. As soon as these bandages soften a trace, I'm heading out after the Sorcerer. He'll be near the shore where the Lugh stand guard before long, if he hasn't made it there already..."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2003, 10:22:55 PM »
Riisha looked at her brothers.  They shrugged as one.  "Dangerous, we can handle.  Near-hopeless odds we can handle.  We've done it before."
Laren grinned.  "Why the hell not?  That sorcerer fellow is exactly the sort of person I don't like."
That was a telling statement.  Laren was almost famous for liking just about everybody.  It had even gotten him in trouble once or thrice.  
Derris again shrugged.  "Well, if you want, we can take our wagon.  There's room enough for us all."

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2003, 11:57:05 AM »
"If your wagon can move at least at a walking pace, I'll take you up on that offer. Else, I'd prefer not. The Sorcerer moves more quickly than might be expected with the way he looks." Hishe flexed his bandaged hands again, and grimaced. "Either way, we'll need to leave as soon as we can."

The Sionn's tone of vice turned grim on the last sentence, and for good reason - already, he suspected, the Sorcerer must be near where the Lugh waited; the shoreline where the old land had once stood wasn't far distant, although how far out beneath the waves the resting place of the cataclysm-bringer lay was something he didn't know...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2003, 12:02:00 PM »
Freeda chuckled a little. "I think we're just waiting on you tall man. Just say the word and we'll all go." She found a bale of hay and sat down. "Whenever you're ready, we'll go."

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2003, 03:26:22 PM »
"All right, then. Let's go." The Sionn clenched his fists one last time, then drew his cloak closed once again. "Quickly - at most, the place we seek should be a few miles distance from here." With that, Hishe turned to the entrance to the stables, and started out - fast for a wounded man, but not too fast to keep the other four from joining him.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2003, 05:21:08 PM »
Laren and Riisha threw some stuff onto the wagon (some of it looked suspiciously like it wasn't thiers) and helped the others up.  Derris clambered into the driver's seat.  Luckily the horses were facing the door.  "You guys better hold on."
Laren nodded.  "He drives like a crazy man.  Much too fast to be safe.  But that's okay."
Derris looked back at the others.  "Everyone ready?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2003, 02:57:01 PM »
Freeda climbs into the gypies' wagon with them. When Derris asked his question, she nodded.

"Let's go."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2003, 04:37:13 PM »
Darkness filled the hallways. The resonant sound of Asarth's echoes passed into silence. A shuffle of robes. Then, smashing the utter quiet like glass, a bizzare and frightening giggle, like that of an insane human...or hyena. Possibly both. Then quiet once more.
     Step, step. Step, step, step. Step, step.
Asarth ran over the temple plan in his mind. Curse these thousand mazy paths! he thought.
      Step, step, step. Step, step. Step.
A clicking, skittering noise, like that of a swarm of beetles filled the hall, a sound that would have raised goosebumps had the Sorceror's flesh not been utterly dead. Silence.
      Step, step, step, step, step. Step. Step.
Suddenly, an explosion of light and noise, like a nova, blinding Asarth. His vision cleared.
Before him, a great circular dais set with three giant black stone thrones. Two were in front, the largest behind the others. But the most magnificent sight were those seated. Massive figures, forms of flame, with crackling lightning eyes. The Lugh!

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2003, 02:13:58 PM »
A short time later, Hishe nearly leapt from the back of the wagon, as it reached the shoreside cliffs; baely visible in the driving rain were a set of switchback stairs, descending towards the ocean below. The Sionn had become ever more fidgety during the brief wagon ride, and now he was nearly seeming ready to leap off the edge of the cliff.

"Quickly! If he's not here, then he's already down under the waves - and that means he must be near or past the Lugh already."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2003, 09:37:15 PM »
Riisha vaulted off of the wagon, carrying rope and things useful for scaling cliffs.  "I know there's stairs, but frankly, I don't trust any thing you're supposed to walk on that is on a sea-side cliff."
Her brothers followed her off.  Derris glanced over the edge and raised an eyebrow.  "Question:  Do we know what we're getting into here?"
Laren was already heading for the steps.  "Counter-question:  Do we ever?"
"True, brother of mine."  And with that, the three gypsies made for the stairs.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2003, 12:49:19 PM »
Freeda followed the gypies to the stairs with a smile on her face. "Do we ever really know what we're getting into?" she muttered. She takes a quick look around before decending the stairs.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2003, 09:35:42 AM »
"No need for the rope - the stais were enchanted a long time ago to let the Lugh pass freely to and from their station. Quickly, we must go!" Even as he speaks, the Sionn already has his feet on the stairs - and despite the steps being wet and slick, his feet stick to each step as if each had a fine coating of some glue to hold his feet in place.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2003, 07:27:56 PM »
The three gypsies scurried down the stairs after Hishe.  As he'd said, there was no danger of them falling off.  Riisha kept hold of her climbing gear, though.  One never knew when it would come in handy.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2003, 02:24:53 PM »
Freeda continued down the stairs. When she reached the bottom, she stopped dead. She shivered and examined the area. I don't like the feel of this She put her hand on the hilt of her sword and waited for the others.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2003, 03:09:43 PM »
The sensation felt by Freeda might have been accounted for by the bottom of the stairs actually being beneath the waves; most of the way down the cliff, they'd turned into the ciffside, and turned again a few hundred feet farther down, leading out into the beginning of a maze of stonework passages; through the roof, the sounds of the sea could easily be heard.

The Sionn cast around for a moment, and then with a snarl that Fox would've been proud of, he chose a passage just off to the left of the ceentral way. "This way. These halls keep a trace of those who pass through them... The Sorcerer's steps went down this passage most recently."

Even before he's done speaking, Hishe is moving again, his feet flashing across the cold, damp stone as he chases his quarry.

Somewhere ahead was Asarth, and the Lugh - or what might be left of them.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2003, 09:55:50 AM »
Freeda sighed and tried to shake off the feeling. It didn't work. "Tyche have pity on us." she muttered as she took off after the disappearing Sionn.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2003, 12:27:35 AM »
The three gypsies kept close behind Hishe.  There was an oppressive feel to this place.  Laren started to light a torch, but Derris murmured, "Maybe not the best idea, Laren.  We are trying to sneak up on someone."  The torch remained unlit.  Meanwhile, the feeling got worse.  
Riisha shivered in spite of herself.  "We might be just a tad too late."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2003, 07:52:53 PM »
ooc: Hey, guys. I'm not posting because Asarth is the villain and I'm not telling you what's happening to heighten suspense and all that shed monkey fur in a hand drum.