llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here  (Read 15054 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2003, 10:08:34 PM »
Riisha heard shouting outside.  Slightly curious (and mildly drunk), she went outside to see what it was.  Hishe, or whatever his name was, was there, in what seemed to be a shouting match with the odd fellow who was all bundled up.  And... oh my.  She stared up at the huge, violent looking mostrosity.  "Oh hell..."  Not much could leave Riisha speechless, but that did it.
"Hey, Ri, where'd you get off-EEP!"  In a semi-normal situation, Riisha would have teased her brother mercilessly about the 'eep.'  But as it was, she didn't even realize Derris had said it.  He too looked up at the demon.  "This... this is not good."  Then they both realized that the demon was approaching.  "This is so not good."  They reversed course back into the bar, hoping that the demon would stay outside.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2003, 10:09:07 PM »
OOC: Read "Sword of Unnatainable Glory". The shard is only a tool towards getting that.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2003, 12:04:06 AM »
Hishe swore under his breath - the words would, to anyone not descended from the straggling survivors who had become his people, have sounded like utter nonsense. Nobody mentioned fighting demons as a duty of the Sionn - at least Fox gave me a weapon capable of it. I know a few of my brethren who did not fare that well...

Spinning the runed staff before him for a moment, Hishe gauged the demon's charge, and slipped the first blow, lashing out with the iron-shod butt of his staff to strike against the demon's knee; the impact itself was nothing, to something with the size and power of the fiend.

The enchanted nature of the weapon, however, carried more of an argument - the staff's cold iron cap glimmered at the impact, releasing a burst of bitter cold that flashed through the demon's joint and briefly paralyzed the limb - long enough for him to regroup and begin to mutter the names of the runes adorning the staff, causing each to flicker to life with a pale light.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2003, 04:37:25 PM »
Ashes of Hashut! Asarth thought, seeing the staff's glowing runes. Fox's staff! Leaping from the demon's back, he made a quick, powerful gesture. "APULTRAYA ULFAI DAEMONAEA!" he shouted.
An orb of green flame flew from his outstretched hand, coating the demon in unholy energy.
"HRUUUUUUGH!!!!!! the demon roared, examining it's new trappings of emerald flame.
"Not even that old bastard Fox's magic will save you, now!" Asarth shouted, pointing at Hishe.

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2003, 05:18:36 PM »
Sometimes, I wish I'd been Chosen for a different path in my life... Hishe backed away from the demon, continuing the chant of the runic names engraved on the staff as he did. But then, if I had, it'd just be some other Sionn here facing this abomination...

As the last rune's name slipped past Hishe's lips, the entire staff flickered briefly with a pale violet flame, before it vanished, once again seeming nothing more than a staff - the enchantment's power worked only on contact with the body of a being from Outside, and lay dormant until then.

As Hishe set his feet again, he ground his teeth. "The Sionn knew you'd sunk to black magics, Sorcerer - but not even the Silent Ones expected you to deal freely with beasts of the underworld!" Taking a moment to size up the demon again, Hishe threw himself forward in an all-out sprint, leading with the gleaming silver-shod end of his staff, his features composed into a focused, detrmined line.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2003, 03:42:03 PM »
A small figure watched the fight from the door of the tavern. Why is it that I always end up at the places of epic seeming battles. As Hishe charged, she began creeping out toward the sorcerer,sticking as close to the shadows as possible. Looks like the mini-giant could use some help againest that pile of rags. A small sigh escapes her lips. I guess it's just my lot to keep getting involved these messes. Oh, why me? When she reached the corner of the build farthest from the battle, she rummaged through a belt pouch. Guess I shouldn't complain. This is battle is going to make an excellent ballad. She smiles as herself as she produces a sling from the pouch. With great care, she loads it and hides it under her cloak as she steps from the shadows and walks nonchalantly around the combatants.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2003, 05:49:49 PM »
Riisha watched in disbelief as a small figure slipped outside.  "Derris?"
He was, understandably, distracted.  Things were getting out of hand outside.  "Yah?"
"Y'know that woman who came in just before all this started?"
"Vaguely.  I wasn't paying much attention.  That's Laren's department.  Anyway, what about her?"
"I think she's completely barking mad."
"And you think this because...?"
"She looks like she's plannin' on gettin' involved in that mess outside."
"EH?!"
"You heard me."
Just then Laren wandered up.  He had a black eye.  Neither of his siblings inquired as to how he got it.  "Hey, what's going on out there?  Couple of idiots take it outside?"
"You could say that."
"Neat."  He'd had a little too much it seemed.  Before either of them could stop him, he was out the door.  
Riisha sighed.  "Bloody hell."
She needen't have worried; Laren was back almost instantly.  "Um, I seem to have had a few too many.  I'm bloody well seeing things."
"If you're referring to the gibbering monstrosity out there, no, you aren't."
"I was afraid you were gonna say that, Der."
Riisha suddenly noticed that bottles and cups were shaking on the wall behind the bar.  One fell off with a crash.  "They're gonna shake the place to peices!"
Derris looked outside, and back at the wall.  Just then, a beam overhead gave a threatening groan.  "All in favor of finding a new spot to wait this out, head for the door."
At least the rain had slacked off some.  Riisha and her brothers made for the stables, trying not to be noticed by the two combatants.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2003, 10:02:15 PM »
All Hishe needed to do was land a blow against the demon's flesh with his staff; the enchantment of the weapon would be enough to banish it for a time. Unfortunately, Asarth's spell gave the monster an extra degree of protection - enough that the monster casually swatted the charging Sionn, sending him skidding through the mud, barely keeping a grip on his staff as he fetched up against the watering trough near the stables with a painful-sounding thump.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2003, 10:37:54 PM »
There was a loud, painful sounding noise outside.  Someone had just been thrown almost against the stables.  The building was still standing, so it was probably the giant-ling.  The three gypsies swore colorfully.
"Even when we try to stay out of trouble, we can't!" Laren bellowed.
Derris, meanwhile, risked going outside to check on Hishe.  He looked like he was still in one piece, but he had all but smashed the water trough.
Riisha looked at the glowering demon across the yard.  "This is only going to get uglier, isn't it."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 04:31:50 PM »
The sorceror chuckled as Hishe flew across the courtyard.
"Slay the Sionn, my servant! I wish to devour his heart's blood this night." He shouted to the demon he rode.

HRAAAAAAAAUGH!!!! the demon roared stomping through the mud towards the fallen less-giant.

The demon raised it's flaming fist up to squish Hishe.
"This is your reward, Sionn, for being so faithful to Fox!" Asarth ranted.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2003, 07:39:34 PM »
The woman turns around at the sorcerer's exclaimation.Guess it's now or never... She brings up the sling, twirls it a few times, and lets fly the stone. It flys through the air and hits Asrath's shoulder.
Fine. If that's the way you want to play it, Tyche, then that's how this will go. She draws a short swrod and charges straight at Asrath with a loud cry,"BONZANI"
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2003, 08:45:58 PM »
OOC: Asrath? Asarth.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2003, 09:44:37 PM »
Riisha was alarmed.  The demon was barreling straight at the stable.  She was no scholar, but she did know that something that large would not be able to stop well, due to the mud.  "Outside!  Now!"  She shoved her brothers in the general direction of the door.  As they ran outside, the other woman, the one Riisha had already decided was mad let go with a sling-stone.  Then she charged the demon full out.
Riisha glanced to either side.  The twins had almost identical looks of shock.  "Well," she said resignedly, "As we seem to have established our total inability to not be involved, why should we let her have all the fun?"
Laren looked at her, his face lighting up.  He did love a good fight.  "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"
"Yep.  Someone go grab a bow.  To the roof, gentlemen!"
Laren ran into the stable, and returned quickly with a longbow that he had... liberated, and a bundle of arrows that someone had been foolish enough to leave with their horse.  The three of them scrambled onto the low roof of the stable.
"Derris, you're the best shot.  Give us cover fire."  Laren shoved the weapons at his brother.  "Ri and I'll jump him when he gets close enough."
Riisha looked at the approaching behemoth.  "I think our best bet is to go for the little guy sitting on that thing."
The demon still approached, and Riisha and Laren each pulled knives out of their belts and prepared to jump the cloaked figure.  Derris pulled an arrow back, and let fly.  
"Good shot Der.  That's gonna cause some pain when it hits."
"Assuming it does."

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2003, 03:52:53 AM »
As the demon's fist rose above his head, Hishe fought to clear his head; as the fist descended, his arms jerked, spasming violently to bring his staff up in a purely instinctive attempt to block the fatal blow.

On contact with the staff, the green flames tore across the wood, eating at Hishe's hands like a vicious acid and spilling the Sionn's blood to mingle with the rain and mud; the the demon's actual fist connected with the wood of the weapon.

The enchantment, still waiting to be released, reacted to the touch like a fox pouncing on an unwary rabbit; the runes exploded with the colors of Fox's magic, flashing crimson and blinding white, and snapped up the monster's arms like a web of lightning and fire. A banishing, the most powerful one Fox had ever deigned to weave into a weapon - even if it failed, it would do well enough to hurl the demon back far enough for the Sionn to gather his scattered wits to him again.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2003, 03:04:05 PM »
Riisha looked at the scene in disbelief.  "Derris, that in blazes did you do to that arrow?"
"That wasn't me.  I think I missed."
Riisha peered over the edge of the roof.  Hishe's staff was glowing with red and white.  "Hoo boy.  He's a sorcerer too.  This is going to get interesting.  Maybe we should change our plan, boys."
"What have you got in mind?"
"Um, get that little guy off by himself and don't give him a chance to get another buddy like this one."
"Sounds good to me."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2003, 06:16:46 PM »
Asarth spun in the air, landing gracefully on his toes in the mud.
"That bastard Fox! Making things extra difficult!!" he said to himself.
He called to Hishe and the surrounding meddlers.
"Sionn!!! If you and your meddlers wish to persue, you shall find considerable trouble!!"[/i]

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2003, 09:36:49 PM »
In the wake of the demon's departure to whatever hell spawned it, the crimson-white energies faded away; Hishe slowly drew himself to one knee, and slammed the silver butt of his staff in the mud, pulling himself to his feet even as blood trickled down he wood from his hands.

Still, the Sionn's wits had returned, and his duty yet called. Gripping the staff fiercely in one hand, he began to limp across the muddy stable grounds towards Asarth; despite the pain wracking his ribs and hands, he still looked just as dangerous.

"You know as well as any, Sorcerer, that you'll have to kill me to stop me from hunting you!"
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2003, 04:26:15 AM »
As Asarth disappeared down the road, his speed enhanced by his magic, Hishe sighed, and winced as his mind caught up to his body and felt the pain - at least one cracked rib, both hands bleeding from what amounted to magical acid burns, and his entire body aching from the pull the staff's magic had placed on his own lifeforce to activate the enchantments.

Turning towards the woman who had charged Asarth during the battle, he inclines his head. "I thank you for your aid, but I warn you now - you'll be best off if you go back into the tavern and forget you ever saw me or the Sorcerer." Too often has the Sionn watched would-be allies die by Asarth's hands after insisting on helping him in his quest.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2003, 03:53:42 PM »
She forces a laugh as she sheaths her sword. "I wish I could tall man. I truely do, but everytime I've tried to before, Tyche found a way to put me right in the middle of trouble." She sighs,  "Not this time. My name is Freeda and I'll stay with you and take my chances, whether you like it or not. Besides, it looks like you're not really in a condition to be turning down help  right now. So, am I a companion or a second shadow?" She offers her hand to Hishe.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2003, 04:26:51 PM »
Riisha and her brothers jumped down from the roof.  They overheard the last part of Freeda's statement.
"Yes.  You're a mess," Derris said flatly.  "I've got some stuff in the wagon I could patch you up with, if you want."

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2003, 12:01:22 AM »
With another sigh, Hishe shook his head. "As you wish... You can't say you haven't been warned." He regards the offered hand, and smirks. "I somehow doubt you'll be wanting me to shake that, given that I'm missing a fair part of the skin from both hands, save where I had it touching my staff."

As the three siblings join them, Hishe casts a lance skyward, wryly wondering to himself if Fox was laughing at him just now - most Sionn could hardly gather companions if they tried. He seemed to have shadows, allies, and companions appear from empty air at times... "I'll take you up on that offer - in a few minutes the pain's going to hit me a bit more fully, and it'd be best to be done with it by then..."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2003, 11:58:01 AM »
"Here then," Freeda moves to help Hishe, "Lets get you to that wagon and patched up. Then you can tell us all about that walking pile of rags, his pet monster and what you have to do with them."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2003, 03:13:30 PM »
Riisha, Laren and Derris pulled Hishe into the stable and over to their wagon.  Derris smeared salve in Hishe's hands and other wounds and bandaged them up.  "They should be okay in a couple of days.  It'll probably hurt like all get out for a while, though."  He dug through one of the packs laying about.  
"That's my pack, Der."
"You have the bottle, don't you?"
"I was hoping you wouldn't notice."  Laren grinned sheepishly.
Derris ignored him.  "Here it is."  He handed it to Hishe.  "This is some of the strongest gypsy wine made.  In fact it's illegal in some places."  He darted a glance at his other two siblings.  
Riisha shrugged.  "Hey, we make it just like Papa taught us to.  It's not our fault."
"Yeah.  Anyway."  Derris offered the bottle to Hishe.  "You'll probably still hurt... but you probably won't care much."

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2003, 03:52:22 PM »
Hishe simply shook his head when offered the bottle. "It won't work. Part of becoming one of the Sionn - to ensure we never lapse in our duties, we're laid under several spells by Fox. One of them prevents alcohol from affecting us the way it does everyone else. As far as my body's concerned, it's nothing more than a weak poison."

Carefully flexing his bandaged hands, he grimaced at the pain - then his staff, which hadn't left his side, disappeared with surprisingly little fanfare - simply there one moment and gone the next. "I suppose you'll wish to know about the Sorcerer, and why I hunt him..."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2003, 06:11:52 PM »
Asarth gasped with aftersickness, the terrible pains of his summoning. Having held back the aftersickness for so long, the feeling now returned with doubled intensity.
"Aah! d**n the Sionn by the Seven Malcthonians!" he cursed, leaning heavily on a bent pine. He heard the boom of the sea upon the cliffs. He was close. He smelled the stinging salt wind upon his face, and the itching of his rotten flesh renewed, combining horribly with the aftersickness. He snarled into the wind.
He fingered the bluish shard of glassy crystal in his cloak pocket. He would have his glorious sword and the shard would lead the way.