llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Rod of Lordly Might  (Read 39887 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2005, 06:58:41 PM »
OOC: OMG! I’m so blonde! I forgot to get you the URL of the map. It’s this: http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trolmmap0zw.png Now, I do know that it’s rather…how you’d say, awkward. White are the mountain regions, Green is the forest region, the pink is a rather large 400-foot tall bridge/gate to lock non-humans out from the human world. Don’t worry we don’t need to know anything about the Human world just yet. I will provide more details when the opportunity comes.

I do want to start by saying those black dots are obviously major cities that we are going to be adventuring throughout the story. The dark green is unmarked territory that you’re character births from. I left it dark green because I didn’t know what type of atmosphere it was.

I will also be posting after a few more people post!
I wear that yellow ribbon.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2005, 10:23:12 AM »
OOC:  Thanks.  Nice job!  Just the thing.  The map looks very helpful.  A few questions, if you please:

1) You said my character was birthed in the central green area.  You can make it anything you want, since he lived and trained underground.  But, when Klaatu left his people and lived with the humans under King Telemanxis I, II, and III, was he on the other side of the pink line / wall?  Or were there humans on our side of the wall?  (If I recall correctly, in the beginning of the saga, your character was wounded by human armies and the huge serpent saved your life in the cave by the water.)

2) Are the blue lines rivers?  and the blue surround area the ocean?

3) Where are the Rang'shead mountains?

4) Is our group in "Alexia's Home" area now?  Or somewhere else on the map?  Maybe you could put an X on the map for my original cave when you get a chance.  That's where we are now.

I assume North is "Up" (top) of the map.  That would make East to the Right, West is Left, and South is at the bottom of the page.

Again, I really appreciate the map.  Thanks for your help.  When you get a convenient opportunity, please reply with answers numbered to match my questions in an OOC comment.  Then I'll "have my bearings" and will try not to be so nosey again regarding your map.

Maybe Nobody will tell us where his serpent and/or Kivval came from?  Hint, hint.  Same with Dawn and Grim?   (When convenient, of course.)
"Stop thinking, and Dream."  /  Selene Nightwalker

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2005, 10:33:42 AM »
IC:
As he lurched along, Klaatu wondered about something he had noticed earlier... why Tethon's spirits seemed brighter?  Something about the desert.  Why?  

Tethon was an elf.  Elves that Klaatu had met in the past were mostly tree-huggers "living in peace and harmony with the forest", and other such nonsense.  They didn't particularly like the desert.  Had Tethon been there before?  He certainly seemed to know quite a bit about the dry and sandy wasteland.

That elven warrior usually seemed so dark and serious.  Something was strangely different.  Klaatu squinted at Alexia, who seemed deep in thought.  Did the Princess notice Tethon?

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2005, 09:54:59 AM »
And then the God of Destruction came down and cast fire and brimstone over all the earth, turning everything above and below ground into ash.

Well maybe not really, but It does appear that the elves of king benu aren't going to be seeing their queen any more since this thread is most definately dead...or am I wrong.

-Nobody
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2005, 06:55:25 PM »
OOC: Okay, I have been updating the maps. This map: http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teerbenuahtrolmmap3sv.png is a zoomed in map of our location. I did no put the markings of the ‘Tombs’ or underground areas of where we will start. The fact is I want your imagination to participate as much as mine. Now, time to answer Dream’s questions:
1. You worked under the soils. There are portals where you transport to. That will come at a later time once we actually get under the mines. Humans live everywhere. They are the ‘dominate’ species- or so they think. This is for political gain more so than spiritual although the decapitation is a spiritual gain, the political evolved by a ‘breaking’ of the treaty. The armies are moving in and towards- why do you think the villages are burning?
2. I would be a ‘smarty-pants’ if I were to say, “No duh.� To say the least, yes the larger rivers are main streams while the smaller ones are obviously smaller rivers.
3. I was actually about to discuss that in the next piece. Rang’shead is an actual place in the Cale Mountains. That’s my twist. The Goblins to the far East are also having issues with the Cale Mountains, formerly known as the Rang’shead Mountains. A twist which shall unravel later on. – You’re on the ball Dream!
4. I already have marked an ‘X’ on this map.
Now, to sum it up if you do have any more questions, please contact me via PM or email me at tantalusbellus@hotmail.com I do respond.

IC:
There came four echoing clicks on cold marble floor. It was created by a gold marble staff, nearly six feet standing. An Elder stood, his back hunched over as white robes dressed him. His eyes faded green with age as well as his pale complexion. Elu breathed heavily, standing flat formed over an altar. Down below he witnessed forty columns of great stone men. All seemed to be looking at one direction- Northeast. Doors opened from the rear as people crowded in, their voices carrying to Elu’s aged ears.

“Come.� He croaked softly, his echo danced around the room as the two candles burned out next to him. He heard their gasps and wails, wants and desires. He heard them all but he did not listen. The burned out flames quickly lit with a dim blue glow, casting a stone color to his features. He looked down, stomping his staff once more and hearing the echo. Silence. “Bring them all.� He said once more, hunger lurking in his eyes as he licked his bottom lip.

Two soft echo’s pounded back in response as another set of doors opened. Clinks and clanks hit the floor as did soft brushes on the smooth marble floor. Through the blue light he made out twelve women dressed in white, their legs, wrists, and slender hips shackled by blue mithril chains. A satisfactory smile spread across his lips. In all the lands he had them all, one by one as they walked silently to the middle of the floor. “Good evening.� He politely said from atop the altar. Silence.

His staff beat once more. This time from a linear line, the women formed in a circle. A symbol was marked in twelve lines, pointing to each of the women. He looked at the blue flames and flicked his eyes to one line that was pointing to nothing. He counted the girls. “Eleven?� He mumbled, his voice echoing downwards. A pounding of his staff sent in loyalists, surrounding the women. “Where is the last one?� Elu’s lip cracked in anger as there was no response. He looked at the stone soldiers pointing in the Northeast direction. They did no move, only looked out. “So.� He mumbled. “One travels north while the other travels south. We shall pay a little visit to the north.� He mumbled to himself, stomping his staff once more to dismiss the rather morbid virgins.

He needed the twelfth, for it relied to find the lost Rod of Sir Nomen Leet.

~*~*~

Yinkus counted down the tallies. They had defeated another battle and lost a small amount of men in the Southwest region. He calculated over the numbers he killed in Teer’Benuah. He grunted once more, idling his view towards his naked wife, Siquest. She was asleep, wrapped in thick animal skin from the previous ‘exercises.’ He rambled on the thought of his error in finding what needed to be found.

“Captain.� A hollow voice came. A quick jerk back to reality as Yinkus bore a thick finger over his lips, her scent mingling on his body. The soldier nodded his head and looked over at Siquest who didn’t move. The soldier shut the flap of the tent and waited as Yinkus stepped out, wrapping himself in bear skin. He shut the flap softly and pointed to a walking direction, noting the protection around his tent.

“You have something to say.� Yinkus finally said. The solider nodded his head. “I am sorry to disturb you m’lord, but a visitor awaits you.� Yinkus arched a thick brow and snorted. “You have come to disturb my thoughts for a mere peasant?� The solider shook his head. “No m’lord. I couldn’t, nobody couldn’t turn down his authority.� “Then who do you loyal with boy? A man or a peasant?� The solider stopped at a smaller tent and moved his arm in the direction. Yinkus grunted in annoyance and walked with a firm expression reading : ‘Move and die.’

After a glance at a hunched over figure, Yinkus sat down on Dragon skin. “Speak.� He abruptly stated. “Ah, the mighty Yinkus. I have been waiting here for nearly ten minutes. News is slow.� The raspy voice came. Yinkus snorted once more, leaning back. “So the old fool comes to visit a human. Tell me, what brings your kind here, Master Leet.�

There came a grin sprawled over Elu’s face.

~*~*~

Alexia stretched quietly. Her mood seemed to brighten for no particular reason. She was going on an adventure. No, a quest. She was going to seek true peace that should have been laid generations ago. The thought, generation seemed to be enclosed in a puddle of mud- or at least in some sort of murky water.

Knowledge had been buried and churned into myth which seemed to disappear into bedtime stories. Until now. Alexia felt a warmth swarm through her body, wondering if it was the scrolls magic that gave her that certain spark of energy. No, it was getting hotter. Her clothes seemed to stick against her flesh. Already the lining of her dress was becoming her bare body. She didn’t care however. Nothing seemed to matter at this particular moment, except the North.

There was another feeling that came through her. This one seemed relaxing and warm. Inviting. Care-free. There came a soft smile across her lips as she realized the mole-man had asked her a question near five minutes ago. She sighed, her senses rushing back as she tried to recall the mole-mans curiosity.

‘Tethon, tell me, what do you make of the desert? You say we need light clothing upon our backs, what about during the night? Does it not get cold?’ Alexia paused before continuing on. ‘Have you traveled with my father to the desert before?’ Alexia needed something to keep her mind off while she had time to relax and think of herself, as selfish as it sounded.

OOC: I hope this was good enough for now.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #280 on: September 07, 2005, 07:55:52 PM »
OCC:  Alexia, I am glad to see you have returned, and have put such thought into the story.  But let us please pick up the pace and have some action.  IMHO, the stage is set.  I'll read your latest post when I get a bit of time.  Thanks!

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #281 on: September 07, 2005, 08:13:16 PM »
OOC: Don't worry!! You know when it lags a bit I have a few...'suprises' up my sleeve!!

I do ask everyone PLEASE start posting more often, even if it's nonsense, your character has to have SOME thought!!

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »
They made short work of the distance.  Braandu came to a stop and Klaatu jumped down.  He said in Common so all would know, "Here is the entrance to the mines.  Braandu will help get this open, although you may help if you are able."

The huge boy-man-construct put down the trunk and shoveled.  Sometimes he would lift out a large boulder and toss it to one side or another.  Soon there was a large hole leading into darkness.

Klaatu entered, and sniffed.  "We have company," he announced.  "Deeper inside.  Rockhounds, rockhounds, by what I can tell.  Their master may or may not be within."  He dug around inside the cave and soon dug out some crystals from a secret cache.

"Here.  Take some and tuck them in a warm spot, a warm spot.  They were placed here to help visitors like you.  I don't need light."  He handed each person in the group a handful, and then lit his staff and quickly warmed up one stone for each member.  When warm, the crystals started glowing with a variety of colored lights.

The tunnel was uniformly round, about 8 feet in diameter and stretched away in the distance with gentle undulating curves.  "Let's go!" said the mole-man, and trundled off quickly with Braandu following.

He felt right at home.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2005, 03:35:54 PM »
Alexia shrugged her shoulders, jumped down and started helping- somewhat. Though she moved some of the other pebbles, she jumped at the soft vibration and thud from the much larger rocks. It was when they finished that Alexia felt somewhat satisfied until she then realized they were just beginning.

“Uh, Klaatu, what are Rockhounds?�

~*~*~

Elu nodded his head in satisfaction towards Yinkus. Though Yinkus reminded him of nothing more than a half-witted Barbarian, he respected him for the alliances and fleets combing the lands to find what needed to be found. What he didn’t respect was the heavy drinking and unconditional ‘love’ for the soldiers.

“Captain, I believe your ranks are out of order. Have you tallied the men completely?� Yinkus arched his brow at the sudden bluntness but quickly buried it with a proper nod. He opened the flap for Elu to visit him in his quarters.

OOC: Sorry for the short posting. I’ve been physically ill and working. Though my excuses are becoming rather irritating to me, I’m keeping up with my posts, and I’ve seen a couple of you haven’t. Please start posting more often. I’m speeding up in my twists, but I’m just waiting for everyone to quickly write often. Thanks!

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2005, 08:01:19 PM »
"Oh, nothing special.  Like large dogs, only much more dense, more dense, like most things deep underground.  Graandu-people use them to sniff out certain fundimentals that carry little energy charge."  

"They also make excellent guard-dogs.  Very hard to stop, to stop."

As if on cue, they heard an incredibly deep growl, then out of the darkness three dark forms sprang toward them.  They were about three times the size of a bulldog, short and powerfully built, with thick heavy jaws and even thicker teeth... but they had no eyes.  

Klaatu instantly stepped back behind Braandu and turned up his staff so the light was bright.  He stabbed it into the tunnel floor so it stood on its own and reached into his robe.

The first two rockhounds sprang upward into Braandu's chest.  He staggered back and tried to grab the snarling creatures as they clamped down on his arms.  It was hard to tell which was more surprised... the hounds, or the boy.  Both were so dense that neither had the advantage they were expecting.  From the effect they were having on the armoured figure, they must have weighed 400 pounds apiece.

The third sprang past Klaatu and went straight for the Princess.  The mole man cried out, "On Guard!  They are very hard!  Strike with all your might!  DO NOT let them bite you!"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »
There came a twitching of the ear as Alexia got completely in the dark tunnel. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness there came a brilliantly bright light to the left side of her sight, making things harder to see and adjust to. That was after there came a growl to her ears and then a forceful yell.

Alexia turned to the attention of Klaatu’s voice before realizing what he had said. “Oh.� She whispered, mainly to herself. As the figure moved close to her, Alexia unsheathed both mithril blades, pivoting her foot.

As the Rockhound moved in, Alexia kept her stance until thick breaths were looming over her. The sword on her right hand was pulled backwards while the other one was forcefully slapped out, hitting stone with a soft spark and a clink. Heavy breaths loomed in as her right sword hit mid-waist to the Rockhound.

A howling corrupted her ears making her wince. Alexia couldn’t tell if it was rage or a defeated howl, since she’d never seen or heard of a Rockhound, until now. In one quick duck, Alexia headed towards her other sword where she had last seen it. Fingering the dirt floor there came another howl before she found what she was looking for.

“You never told me exactly how I can kill it!� Alexia shouted out before ducking once more and quickly moving away.

~*~*~

“And exactly how many men does it take to find one girl?� Elu questioned with rage. “I have caught eleven while you twiddle your time on finding something that needn’t be found, and yet look at you? You can’t find Benu’s daughter? This is an outrage!� There came a moment of silence until Yinkus arched his nose in the air. He sniffed.

“Surely you smell that old man.�
“Never mind the smelling, you have orders.�
“The Goblins are joining us. I will send them down to Benuah.�

Elu grunted, sitting down. He had known the Goblin’s would ally with the Humans but what Yinkus did not know was how Goblin’s would turn on Yinkus when he had everything. Yinkus moved outside when a horn blew, leaving the flap open for Elu. Nodding in approval, Elu headed behind Yinkus, looking at the thousands of Goblin’s lined up and ready. There came a twisted smile on Yinkus.

“Shall we order the men now you d**ned old fool?� Elu smiled.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
Klaatu did not answer her.  He knew there was no particularly good way to kill a Rockhound.  That's why they made such good guard animals.  Besides, he was busy.  His hand found what he had reached into his robe to get.  He whipped out a small silver whistle, and blew a blast on it with all his might.  There was no audible sound to him or Alexia, but the three hounds stopped their raging and looked at him for a moment.

"NOW!"  he shouted to Alexia.  "Stab hard at its neck!"  "<Braandu!  Hold those two!>"

Braandu took advantage of the pause to get a firm grip around the back of the necks of the two massive dogs.  But his weight was three times that of the two beasts combined, and he pressed them to the floor of the tunnel and pinned them there.

Klaatu ran back to deal with the third Rockhound in case the Princess or the others failed to kill it.  She would only get one free shot at it, and the whistle wouldn't confuse the animal a second time.  

He couldn't help wondering briefly if her sword would hold up against the animal's rocky hide.  Mithril was beautiful, but it wasn't the hardest of metals.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2005, 06:05:56 AM »
OOC: Excuse me for the lag. My best friends father died battling cancer (which kind, I really don't know). I'm heading out for a couple of days to Georgia where the ceremony will take place. I shall reply on wednesday or friday or even thursday. I will be back in my state late wednesday.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2005, 05:52:11 PM »
Very sorry to hear that.  I hope things go well with you and your loved ones.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »
OOC: Okay you didn’t mention anything about not killing the animal, so I’m assuming you can decapitate it. If not, let me know and I will gladly change.

IC:
Alexia didn’t have time to see what the mole-man was doing, although it stopped the rather large dogs from killing her or biting her, whichever. In a moments notice, Alexia raised her sword and plundered it through the Rockhounds throat. Taking it out, Alexia whipped the sword and decapitated the dog’s head.

Movement was fast, but her sword seemed even faster. Then again, Alexia’s vision was nearly obsolete, but enough to see a figure and the rarity of it’s color. Nigh Vision seemed useless and in a way more comforting. It was the same as tough she were standing in the sun’s warmth.

Alexia felt foreign warmth. It was liquid. It was blood. The stench had reached her nostrils as she moved away. Still the scent made her nauseous. Alexia bit down on her lip, holding back the vomit.

~*~*~

“Aye. So it has been done then?� A voice called firmly from behind Aarnorn. His hands trembled from the casual beating of the cold wind. He had faked his identity so; everything about him had been done by magic. It was amazing. Aarnorn was not a boy; he was a man. He did not have light brown locks; they were dark strands of black. As were his eyes. Aarnorn nodded at the Captain. They were ready to dock and head south where the conflict had been and started over.

He clutched a piece of parchment sealed from the Mistress herself. He was assigned to reenact Tatters. Where the Myth of the Fallen had been. Legend had been that the nine Kings were united in Tatters. Since they had been brethren and close friends, it was said the Gods favored one but not the others. His name was Sir Nomen Eluent Leet.

Then war waged between the nine Kings. Another had gained favor and then the other. It was said, Sir Leet had fallen, begging the Gods to grant him one wish in his glorious favor. A rod of wisdom. Some say it was a rod of magical powers, granting wishes to the soul collector, other say it was nothing more than the troubles of war. Aarnorn believed it was neither. True it provided wisdom, the scrolls. Power; for the rod’s magic. But something more. Something unexplainable.

“Lad? Ye alright?� Aarnorn looked up, his face paled from the harsh winds at sea. He just nodded. He was cold more so than he was seasick. The Captain nodded and headed back below deck, leaving Aarnorn looking over the railing at the peaceful waves. A secret. A letter.

~*~*~

Yinkus stepped down from a adrenaline speech. He gloated it towards Elu, no words, just looks. Elu just grunted, and struck his staff in the brown soil. Nobody would know he was the one truly looking for the Rod to regain his father’s loss. Would he lose again? No. He could not afford it. The Leet family line depended on it.

Elu needed a source or a host. He pondered, staring off at the thousands of Goblins. Camping. He thought back of a perfect tactic. Yinkus turned around and sat down next to Elu. Elu arched his brow, still gazing off. “They’re beautiful aren’t they?� Yinkus added, positioning himself comfortably on the log. Elu still didn’t speak until his focus was returned to matters. He had figured out the perfect way to find the girl. “Yinkus, do you know what each individual thinks?�

“It’s none of my concern. I could careless. I just need them to do my bidding.� He snorted. “Yinkus, you will fall to your fears in a matter of time.� “Me? Fears?� Yinkus glared over towards Elu. “What about you old man?� Elu arched his brow for the second time. “I have many fears. I have already fallen, but I have to deal with my fears. I am my own fear. I will conquer.� “You will conquer yourself?� Yinkus thought, meshing his shaven face. It had been matter of minutes ago when he shaved with his favorite dagger.

~*~*~

Siquest rose from her slumber. Rest. She needed it. Now, she was rejuvenated and could smell her home. Siquest rose, her light green complexion turned a soft gold against the firelight as she dressed in white robes. Her long hair had been braided and bunned and locked in gold jewelry. Oiling herself, Siquest felt her stomach growl. Opening the flap, she looked out to see thousands of her troops camping only acres away from campsite.

“Where’s Captain Yinkus?� She asked a Runner Boy. He nodded his head in the direction of Yinkus and an old man. Dismissing the boy, she casually walked over towards him. Yinkus stood up straight, offering her a seat. In approval, Siquest sat down and looked out towards the men.

It had taken a moment to realize who the guest was. “Ah, Elu. A pleasure.� “No, the pleasure is all mine.� His voice cooed softly. Her green eyes shifted to a lime green. Their version of glittering. She was most content and both knew it. “Are you sure you’re well rested?� Yinkus added towards her. “After all you seemed to need the rest.� Siquest arched her brow and nodded. “Well.� Yinkus didn’t have anything to do. Everything was tallied and counted. Pay was already in effect. Money was coming in by the Ox’s every day. Tents and supplies were stocked and restocked. Now, he was waiting. The opportune moment before total domination of the Humans.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2005, 01:02:33 PM »
Tethon took the liberty to come around and, with a downward stroke of his blade "Waterfall into the River", pierced the back of one of the pinned rockhounds, Piercing the creature's lungs and silencing the animal's final cry.

He did not finish the last one off, as he did not know what uses it might have. The Juggernaught seemed quite suited to deal with the last one as he saw fit.

"Clean off your blade Alexia, you were taught better than that" he said as he wiped and sheathed his sword.

"That was well done, but your footwork was sloppy, and your kill was dirty.
You must make a clean cut every time, not just the times that you are prepared, or striking a soft material. What if this had been a Sodithie, with skin the strength of hardened steel. The angle of that cut would have only grazed it's skin and you would have been open for a return. We will train Forms later if there is time."

"Also, these creatures have no eyes. That means that they listen for the vibrations in the earth, and listen for noise and speech. You have a potential advantage here. Silent movement on your part may make it impossible for them locate you quickly. Tracking by scent is not so precise as tracking by sight, and takes longer. If your footsteps had been more silent, you might have never been attacked."

"You should note that it passed me without notice to get to you. My footsteps did not give me away. However, just because you think you have the advantage, stay prepared in case you do not. You never know when your enemy has a surprise in store for you."

"Klaatu, do you know if these Rockhounds are sensitive to heat? It would be beneficial to know a little more about what we may be facing here. And exactly how many more of these such encounters could we expect?"

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2005, 10:35:10 PM »
OCC:  Ummm, yeah, Alexia.  I expected a bit more of a tussle.  I had said that although rockhounds were the size of a large dog, that they were ultra dense, weighed 400 pounds apiece, and had a rocky hide.  So let's say I am surprised that an elf-maid would decapitate such a formidable creature with one stroke.  I had not seen other players providing D&D-style stats for introduced creatures, but if I need to do a better job, someone please let me know.

IC:  Klaatu stopped, looking surprised.  The rockhound's head lay on the ground, severed from its body.  "Impressive" he thought.  "I'll have to test Alexia's sword to see what it's really made of."

Turning to Braandu, he said in Common, "Son, just hold that beast until it settles down."  The metallic giant had gotten up from his knees gripping the squirming rockhound firmly, even as it clawed pieces of his chain mail off his arms and chest with steely claws.

Looking at Tethon, he spoke almost absent-mindedly, "Rockhounds track you the same way, same way I do.  Mostly smell, and energy traces.  All metals give off traces, traces.  You have enough iron in your body to make a 10-penny nail, and other minerals, others as well. "

"I doubt, doubt there are more or they would be here.  My concern now is that we have killed someone's dogs, their dogs.  Their cave is up, is up ahead, and I will have some explaining to do."

The last rockhound had stopped struggling in Braandu's vice-like grip, so Klaatu wrapped a metal collar around its neck with a chain, and the beast tagged along sullenly behind the boy who led it.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2005, 08:43:11 PM »
OOC: I think a better description of the Rockhounds would seem most appropriate. Well, we can just say it was a smaller Rockhound for Craps-and-giggles. Sorry for the ‘no-tussle.’ I’ll do better!

IC:
“Where here.� Came a distant voice. It was raspy and seemed to have a frog’s croak. Aarnorn looked up at the pale eyes of the Captain. He had fallen into a slumber. His eyes were glossy and wide. Usually the look of a dead person, Aarnorn however learned to sleep like true wizards. “We’ll dock up ‘n ower so.� The Captain continued, frowning as Aarnorn’s eyes changed softly, dilating once more.

“I shall be thanking you and the port is not as sturdy Captain. I shall need my men on a small boat. If that is alright?� The Captain grunted at the simple request, but soon nodded in approval. “Un.� The Captain firmly stated. Aarnorn gave a stern look. The Captain’s left cheek twitched. He hated bargaining. “Three. No more.� The Captain grunted again, but nodded. He hated those terms. “I shall pay you in full and profit as well.� The Captain’s pale eyes seemed to go wide as a smile crept upon his face as his yellow teeth glowed.

~*~*~

“The Council must fight back!� Spat a Half-Elf. He was tall, for sure, but he was stocky as he was tall. His chin seemed to have their own rumble as his teeth chomped down and his robes flung high. He was one of 254 male’s known as Myth’s Council. “If we do not, we are letting everything we stand for die! Goblins and Humans plan on attacking from every corner while we remain defenseless? What do you plan on doing!� Nods of disagreement and agreements were from every bobbling head in the Council.

“We, can not.� A heavy croak calmly spoke back. Gudevlor Hunt was the eldest male in the Council. He was the last to have known two generations tide. His father’s family had been in the Council since the tides rise to know it’s glorious times. Now, time was turning and it was carried on him to make the ultimate burden. “We have no supplies. With war consuming our lungs, we have no choice but to retaliate! We have no ground!�

There came an unpleasant uproar.

~*~*~

“Well, you can’t expect me to see in this bloody darkness.� Alexia huffed to herself, picking up her blades and pursing her lips together. She did in fact; clean her blades, but she resented it. As Tethon spoke, she mouthed him off to herself; something she use to do to her father when he scolded her for her ‘secrecy.’ There came a ring as she sheathed her blade as she stopped to listen to Tethon speak and the mole-man respond.

Alexia frowned. “Explaining?� There came a soft glitter from her dull eyes. Apparently she was either confused or growing irate. Setting that aside, she shivered at soft howling in the distance. “Klaatu, what more does this cave posses in other animals?�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:17 PM »
Klaatu didn't answer her.  He indicated they should stop where they were.  Turning down the light in his staff to a soft blue glow, he carefully sniffed and felt his way around a sharp bend in the tunnel as it opened up into a large cavern.  The cavern had stalactites hanging from the ceiling, but the floor was smooth.  A soft glow from the ceiling gently illuminated the entire room.

"<There you are>", he squeaked to himself.  He carefully reached under a rock and moved a hidden lever.

Standing up, Klaatu said in Common, "I disarmed this trap, this trap.  Please allow me to go and speak, speak to its owner."  Squeaking for Braandu to follow with the trunk, the two disappeared across the cavern to a structure in the middle.  Minutes passed...  There was loud squeaking in the distance...  Then they returned.

"He drives a hard bargain, and by the laws of the Graandu, could have demanded more, yes more.  But we may pass through using his tunnels now."  

Klaatu looked down at the chunky animal with the large teeth trailing behind Braandu on the chain.  "And it would seem that I have bought a dog, that is, a Rockhound."  (He didn't look too happy about that.)  Squinting up at the Princess, he added, "Do you want it?  I can bond it, bond the beast to you if you wish.  It would die to protect you, protect you."

"Oh, yes, one more thing, one more.  It eats rocks.  Mostly limestone."

"Tell me where, where you want us to go, please, Alexia."

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2005, 03:19:31 PM »
"How does the bonding process work exactly. It there some kind of magical aura that the dog is bonded to, or is there a physical attribute that the dog is bound to. I have heard of necromancers who can control a person even after they die and return in a different body. Is this the same thing?"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2005, 04:02:23 PM »
Alexia waited impatiently. After the mole-man returned she arched her brow at his offer. Then Tethon spoke. “Yes, how does this work and why would the bargaining process be harder?� Alexia was interested. In fact, she was too curious for her own good. Better yet, her sentencing was off! Alexia sighed, puffing her cheeks and watching as her hair flipped up. She wasn’t bored she was trying to figure out the whole journey and exactly where she wanted to go.

Alexia frowned. “Alright. The process can begin.â€? Alexia then dug into her pocket and pulled out a pebble. “Hold on. Before you do that, can you  move that thing out of my eyes.â€? She pointed towards the light staff. As Alexia stepped out, she closed her eyes and turned East. Throwing the pebble downwards she heard a soft click. Opening her eyes she pointed. “Go East until we turn to the fourth tunnel, then head North until you find my little pebble.â€?

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
OCC:  Please be careful to indicate how far we must go, since my character is leading the way when underground.  Otherwise I may think we are travelling a few miles while you may have had 20 in mind (a day's hike in good conditions on foot.)  Thanks.

IC:  "This way then", said Klaatu.  (Klaatu didn't know what to say to Tethon's question about Necromancers.  That was a delicate subject.  Glancing at his son plodding along next to them, Klaatu thought, "I will have to word my response carefully.")

Instead, as they walked along, he provided answers to the other questions.  "We trespassed.  It's simple, simple as that.  oolooVornio Randu and his family have taken up ownership of this sector, this sector of these tunnels and continues to mine minerals here.  I had not told him, told him we were entering, and we killed two, two of his Rockhounds.  Just doing their job."

"So Randu was irate, irate over our intrusion.  He made me pay for the two dogs, and then sold me the third at a hefty profit, hefty.  It's a runt.  Barely heavier than one of your woods bears."

Braandu looked down at the eyeless dog that followed him.  It was only two feet tall and three feet long -- but it had certainly felt heavy enough when he had been trying to keep it from tearing his steel chain mail off his form!  In fact, the powerful animal had clawed and bit into Braandu's metal "flesh" enough that the boy had distinctly felt it.  It seemed docile enough, for now.

They walked past the first tunnel.  Klaatu went on, "When we next camp, I can take a small sample of your blood, and let the Rockhound, the hound lick it, and smell you, and listen, listen to you carefully.  He will never harm you then.  You can carry, carry the leash if you like or just let him walk with you.  However, be careful to leash him before any family, any family or friends run up to you or give you a hug.  And don't argue loudly with anyone, anyone.  The Rockhound will be very protective of you."

"Very handy in a fight, a bonded Rockhound.  You killed a pup.  This one can rip a man's leg off with one bite, whether he wears armour, armour or not.  Remember, it's three times heavier than you are.  He's yours, if you want, but don't think you can take him home to the forest.  He can dig through rock, but he can't climb, can't climb trees."  

Klaatu sounded like he didn't think much of trees.

Braandu turned to look at the stony skin ripple on the beast as it followed, the massive jaws that blended into a heavy head, attached to powerful shoulders with almost no neck at all.  Its hard feet were clacking on the smooth stone floor in rhythm to his own heavy footsteps.  He thought, "maybe the lady won't want it?  Maybe I could have a dog?  If Father would let me..."

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2005, 07:31:04 PM »
He stood there, heartless and defensive. He watched. His green eyes ablaze. He could only hear his heart beat; it was enough for any elf to hear. Luckily, he had gone to see an Alchemist. Referring some of her old potions to nearly make himself invisible or at least unnoticeable to anybody and everybody; no matter the race. Truthfully, he downed it quickly. The squad would be highly upset- then again there was no ‘disappointment.’ It was death.

Bifinazaar watched quietly. He knew what possessions Rockhounds portrayed. Their capabilities were a wonder. A true idol in the Goblin army. They had no hopes. For hope lead to fear. Fear lead to death. They all feared, but nothing showed. Bifinazaar watched a small group walk through; one had an almost-perfect stance with swords while the other seemed more off balance and easily dropping their swords. The Gods apparently favored the small creature since the Rockhound ended up dead.

There was one giant. Easily taking two in hands. There was a smaller man. Almost mole-like. Odd. He had only heard of them. Never seen them. Bifinazaar was there for one purpose. Trailing. But who? He was to report anything and everything, event at least. There was no reason to be trailing in the tunnels. d**n Humans. Biff, known to many, was standing there. As usual.

It was odd. He didn’t look. He only saw bits and pieces. They were moving. Worse. Luckily for him, they were going down the opposite tunnel. He wanted more air, but the potion was to wear off in two more days. Yes. His time to recover from everything. He couldn’t eat, for if he did, the digestion tracts would start to fail. His body was becoming thinner and his clothes bigger. He was looking horrible. Well, at least from what he felt.

Bifinazaar waited until they had left sight. He would wait until nobody would hear him. He waited. He hated to wait. This was his punishment. Punishment for fear. He was to be the support everyone needed. He was the weak chain. Yinkus had told him. Biff waited, until now.

Crawling the sides, barely able to walk, he headed out towards the light. It was actually dark. Better on his eyes. Getting use to the darkness was hard. He could understand why the Rockhounds were known for their ears. They had no eyes. That’s what the tunnels had taught him. Great. Two days. A two day’s ride to camp.

If he failed, he had others in the tunnels. Farther out. Lucky for him. The only thing he could think of was to run. Run until he met base. If camp was where he had left it, he would be there by the time the potion wore off.

~*~*~

Alexia continued to walk. She waited for a response. She was always curious in-group conversation. She liked to listen and then liked to talk when she needed. Alexia frowned to herself. “Klaatu, first off, that was nothing more than a pup?� Her eyes seemed to go wide, mouthing pup. It was hard enough and with hundreds more, possibly. “Also, I didn’t realize what connections you truly have!�

The walls seemed to vibrate with every howl. At least that’s what she saw. Small vibrations. Shrugging her shoulders she saw an opening to the right and then the left…possibly the middle? Alexia widened her eyes, hoping to see something. Nothing. Where was her pebble? She then got the idea.

Turning on her heel, she looked at nothing in particular. “Someone, talk to me about anything. Odd as it may sound, just do it.�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »
"Talk?"  For Braandu, that was impossible.  For Klaatu, it was all too easy.  "Glad to oblige, to oblige."  

He launched into one of his favorite lectures about the energy interactions of fundimentals, their places in the tables his people had organized over the ages, the various properties of several of the most important, and the mysterious and ephemeral nature of those calculated to exist but not yet discovered.

Many times the mole-man had to resort to various squeak-words to explain a concept when the Common language had no equivalent term, which was amusing, but hardly helpful.

For some reason, however, Klaatu got the impression Alexia was concentrating on something other than his speech.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2005, 04:47:09 PM »
Alexia sighed. It wasn’t a heavy sigh. Just a tired sigh. She was exhausted. She had listened to the mole-man, but her attention was caught towards the direction. She had not found her pebble. On and off she would subconsciously walk towards it and then stop. She didn’t know she was walking towards it, but somehow she knew. Odd as it was.

As the ‘lecture’ continued, Alexia thought more into what he said, thinking about the possibilities of every argument. It was strange. How she would be walking unpredictably towards one point and stopping, knowing she was thinking about the pebble.

What seemed ages, turned into nothing more than a mere twenty minutes. A small echo hit as her foot moved her pebble. Smiling she leaned down and put it in her pocket. She was towards her destination.

It took one glance up to see the ceiling in a dome shape. Her jaw practically dropped. Pure marble and gold entwined in the two-hundred foot columns to hold the jeweled encrusted in dazzling art work of the Gods and Goddesses. Though the color provided a cascading dark purple and blue in her vision it was a brownish-white.

Alexia looked in the middle of the room. It was silent. As if nobody had used it in hundreds of years. There was a fountain. No water rushing. Alexia started to walk as if unsure there even were traps.

Sure enough there were.