llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Rod of Lordly Might  (Read 38228 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Callista Miala Moonshade

• Grand Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2005, 07:13:42 AM »
Dawn spun round quickly on the balls of her feet and stared at the mole-man who was on his knees and the know nown princess next to him, "is everything alright, sorry i don't think i ever caught your name i'm dawn, i won't bow if you don't mind my knees are a bit troublesome, and i fear that you don't want people to bow to you as you pass, thats why you must of kept your true person so secret for so long" she stopped just realising how rude that must of sounded and slapped herself in the head "i have a problem with telling the truth off what i think" she slapped herself in the head again and then gave herself a little shake.
'What goes up!! Must come down,"

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2005, 05:02:59 PM »
Klaatu stood up, but respectfully.  "As you wish, your magest- - I mean, I mean, Al- Alexia."  He stammered a bit trying to say her nickname.

Quietly he asked, "What happened to your father; your people?  Are you now in charge?"

"Your father was good, was good to my people in the past.  How may I serve you now?"
"Stop thinking, and Dream."  /  Selene Nightwalker

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2005, 08:41:16 PM »
‘This is why I do not like to say anything about my family!’ She thought, trying to get herself out of this predicament. Everything seemed to carry on her shoulders and it wasn’t getting easy. She huffed a soft sigh while she stood. Yes, the Princess of the Benauh elves was having a very hard time stretching in three different directions.

First and most important, her title; she would have to go back in three days time. Time she should gather refugees and any living survivor. Second, Alexia needed to figure out a way to deal with her true name, pulling it from the ground of hushes and secrecy. Third of all, the Rod of Lordly Might seemed to have a tie with everything.

Ah yes, the Rod and the Scrolls. Something she wanted to do before clouding herself with isolation and burdens. With every living soul, her civic duty would have to care every way possible for those living souls. And time was ticking.

To the mole-man she seemed to have ignored his questions, but she didn’t. “I don’t exactly know. I remember taking Tethon on Recko and heading back home. When I made it there, everyone in the village had their heads cut off and you have served me well with your hospitality.� Memories poured in of the sulfur clouds from the trees and the many bodies littered- their heads gone, but their blood trails; Alexia jumped from thought. The trails!

It was instant. How dumbfounded she was! How could she have thought to forget her own people? Alexia shook her head. “Mole-, I mean Klaatu, if I may wish to speak with you in due course, I must speak with Tethon.� She needed to tell the mole-man they would be leaving in three days.

There was a spark growing inside of her. The feeling of hope through the depths of despair. She would seek advice first hand from a man who knew war and death, not that the mole-man wouldn’t know. It was just personal.
I wear that yellow ribbon.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2005, 11:10:35 PM »
Tethon went over forms in the woods. Wind in the Meadow, followed by Rushing Bull, followed by Cat Crossing the Courtyard followed by Turning Sparrow on and on and on in one immeasurably swift, fluid motion. It was like a beautiful dance with an occasional glint of light reflecting off the sword.

No less than Ten tree limbs fell at any one time, all relatively large, but never more than two per tree, and always limbs that would cost the tree little. The dance never slowed for a moment, but actually managed to increase in speed as a stable rhythm was found, and then, it would shift. Every form different in nature, if only subtly.

Arch of the Swallow, followed by Dancing on Water, followed by Swaying Lotus, on and on in increasing intensity only to change again and again.

The forms were seemingly effortless, and yet full of energy. Barely a leaf on the forest floor was rustled, and a man could be heard clearly walking at sixty feet for all of the noise that was made.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2005, 07:20:11 AM »
Very interesting. Daughter of a deceased elven king. Mystical artifact with unknown powers. All incredibly intriguing. Grim waited where he was, partially insubstantial in the shadows at the wall of the cave, until Alexia left, apparently looking for that other male. Once she was gone, he seemed to step back, melding with the shadows until there was nothing left. A moment later he stepped out of the shadows along the edge of the forest. He began walking, acting as if he'd been outside the entire time. While he moved, him mind was swilring with various ideas. Did he even want to go with these "people". The term was a loose one, since it had to encompass a little girl, Alexia, Alexia's supposed guardian and a couple of man-moles. He supposed that the only way to discover more about the scroll, and even to perhaps use this Rod they spoke of. Grim turned around and began walking back toward the cave, looking for Alexia.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

• Grand Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2005, 08:02:04 AM »
Dawn didn't move for a moment but then turned to the cave entrance and walked out, "i really have to learn to control my thoughts" she thought to herself in her head this time, she walked slowly over to the edge of the forest in the opposite direction that Alexia had gone and sat down underneath a large oak tree which groaned a tiny bit with the wind bustling through it's leaves, she looked to the sky and admired the beutifully clear day that it was, she would wait here until the others where ready to leave, if they did this day.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2005, 06:34:10 PM »
OCC:  I'm having major computer problems.  Tried to download Microsoft's Service Pack 2 and it fried one of my 2 laptops and the satellite link.  Typical MS shenanigans.  I'm using a backup with a modem.  MS says a replacement file will be mailed to me on disk -- in "4 to 6 weeks"

If I don't post regularly for awhile, please assume my characters have "tagged along" with yours and will show up when I can get something working reliably.  Sorry.
IC:  Klaatu and Braandu finished packing, and stood ready to seal the cave.  Braandu carried a few boulders up to the main slab that would soon cover the entrance, and strewed them around in a casual manner.  He appeared rather like a cleaning maid who strews around a few throw-pillows on the couch -- except, of course, that each boulder landed with a large "CLUD" and split the smaller rocks beneath into shards.

He stood back and thought, "I guess that looks like no one lives here".

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2005, 07:56:38 PM »
In her own little world, Alexia thought out her plans. She needed to see the mole-man’s scrolls and instead she was discussing her father and title! Her head pounded and temples throbbed, but she needed to push forward as it was. Stepping out of the room, she looked around and sighed. Heading for the mouth of the cave she stopped and frowned. Grim was there. She bit her lower lip and looked back to the room they were originally in and then faced him with a frown. Shaking the matter away from her thought, Alexia gave a half-smile.

“We are prepared to leave.� She finally said, stepping outside. She looked out and let the wind blow lightly. Occasionally she had to put strands around her ear to keep from flying in her face. It was tickling her nose. She licked the bottom of her lip and whistled. It was a high pitched one, easy enough to carry with the wind. She let out another whistle but dropped the pitch’s octave.

It was her calling card. Recko would be showing up soon.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2005, 08:38:44 PM »
OCC:  My computer is fixed.  I think.  It only took about 8 hours and $50 worth of long-distance phone calls to "help" desks.  Now there is a true oxymoron.

IC:

The cave was closed, locked, and booby-trapped.  Klaatu picked up his staff and Braandu picked up the trunk, axe, shovel, etc.  The mole-man walked with his short-legged gait over to Alexia and said, "Where to now?    If you must head off in a great hurry, I can find you soon enough, especially if you swallow my stone.  But Braandu can only walk fast.  He is quite heavy, quite heavy, and cannot run."

"On the other hand, if we all stay together, you will find that Braandu and I, that is we can provide you some protection.  His body may not be fast, but he is sturdily built.  And I know something about staying alive, alive in troubled times, you know."

"One more thing.  Will we be taking Dawn with us?  She seems to want, want to come."

He didn't say anything about the dark newcomer.  That one had not even said a word to Klaatu, nor anyone else that he could tell.  The fundimentalist 'kept a nose' on him, wondering how the Princess would get that second scroll.  Judging from Tethon's wary stance, Klaatu wasn't the only one keeping an eye on Grim.

• Grand Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2005, 05:58:40 AM »
Dawn stood up from the tree and walked over to where alexia Klaatu and grim were, "i offer my sword and my magic to accompany you, on your quest, please let me come, i don't know what i will do if i'm left on my own again......" she stopped for a moment and then sniffed the air, she turned and looked around "wow! didn't notice you there!" said dawn stiffly looking at grim, she could sense strength in him but she couldn't tell wether it was good or bad, she shook her head "please may i accompany you please!" she looked pleadingly to alexia, and placed her hands together as if she was just about to do the Lord's Prayer, "please."

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2005, 07:15:36 PM »
Klaatu spread before Alexia and Tethon several maps, engraved into metallic foils.  They appeared to be some flexible glistening whitish-silver metal with gold plating.  He pointed with a steel-tipped fingernail and scratched small marks through the gold to emphasize what he said...

"Here is your kingdom to the south, that of the Teer-Benauh, the Benauh elves.  My people in the past have mined the area fairly extensively, back even before your people moved in from the east and inhabited the area, especially the trees, the trees.  There are tunnels there that have lay unused for a long time, a long time indeed.  Benu, your father" (he peered up at Alexia) "Benu knew of some of these, but elves don't like the friendly earth, it seems."  He muttered, mostly to himself,  "But then, I don't like your 'unfriendly' trees, so I suppose we are even, are even."

"This map shows the river channel and the plains to the northeast, which we have not mined very much, not mined.  Too much groundwater, that is water below the surface, and too little ore.  Drainage is a problem.  Too many enemies, there too."  

"Then, further to the north-east, many enemies, but some of the best ore sites in the Rangers-head range.  There are more detailed maps in this case of particular sites, particularly showing the bore-holes which usually follow the strike and dip, strike and dip of the ore bodies."  He looked up again.   "That's miner talk.  Ask any dwarf."

He went on.  "Here are maps of the surrounding areas.  I have especially fine detail of the entire area of Telemanxis' old kingdom to the northwest.  After all, I controlled that entire underground area and some of the surface for over 100 years.  Fine digging it was, too!  That is where most of the humans are coming and going, coming and going, as they fight their endless wars.  I've had enough of that."

He noticed how Tethon was fingering the gold-plated foil maps.

Klaatu said, "I use gold as plating material on a lot of metals.  It isn't worth much to me, but it resists corrosion...

...I have tons of the stuff."

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2005, 11:06:03 AM »
OOC: I’m sorry I have not been able to post. I have been having computer trouble and the only time I can transfer date over to my computer at home, is at work. We just bought two new computers and we are setting that up at home. I don’t know how long that will take but should not be long. I will be gone until Monday. I will actually be home Sunday night, very late and very exhausted. I just wanted to let you in on that. This post will leave you with many questions, but as I always am- I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

IC:
Alexia stood there for a moment and asked herself the same questions. Dawn seemed very excited about this ‘trip.’ She looked at the girl for a moment and then towards the mole-man. “You are able to come.� Truth be told, Alexia wanted Dawn to come but she didn’t like the begging part. ‘Back to matters.’ Alexia thought quietly. She needed some concentration on what they were doing.

There was a map laid out, beautifully decorated. Her eyes felt like glue, stuck to the pages. She watched for a moment and looked at the map. Ignoring the Mountains and Telemanxis, she peered over towards her father’s land and then looked out towards the forest. She looked back onto the map.

‘The Fleegon Elves!’ Alexia remembered the strong bond between King Falegorn and King Benu. She also remembered not hearing from Falegorn since she was a tot. It had come to mind of a tunnel. A straight tunnel from Benuah to Fleegon. Alexia looked up to see the mole-man. “Have you tunneled from Benu’s Kingdome to Falegon’s?�

Alexia looked down at the map, this time by the Mountains. An alliance was all she needed. “Tethon, remind me, on our way back we need to take the tunnel from The Benuah to The Fleegon’s. They would need it. She looked up at the mole-man. “I am ready.�

~*~*~

“Captain!� A boy yelled, quickly rushing towards a black tent. “Captain!� He screeched again, his breath drawing thin. He was a thin boy, no more than 17 Human years. His gaze was grey and face long and flushed. His clothes were tattered and dirt-stained along with his brown hair.

Captain Yinkus looked up from his stretched out maps and nodded his head at the four surrounding him. Dismissing them politely, he looked down at the young boy. “Aanorn!� He snorted. “What is the news and it better be good!� Aarnorn looked up and took deep breaths. “Captain!� He bowed slightly, fidgeting. “Captain, great news! The Dwarves have agreed to the terms! They prepare in a weeks time.� Captain Yinkus looked down and smiled menacingly. “Great.� He said deeply. ‘All I need is to dig deep.’ He thought before returning to his work.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2005, 08:48:40 PM »
Braandu clumped over closer to Alexia while she spoke. "A Princess!" he thought.  "No wonder she acts prissy."  He had seen princesses before, when he lived at (or below) the castle of King Telemanxis the Third.  

Memories flooded back.  That young man had several children, and they had played with Braandu, the furry, squeaky, little mole-boy.  He had not liked the sun very much then, but father had fashioned a pair of sun-goggles for him so he could go outside in the daylight without squinting so much.  The human children had not liked his tunnels very much, until he had given them glow-stones so they could see.  (Of course, Braandu didn't need glow stones to get around in tunnels).  

They all had so much fun exploring together as he had led them through miles of tunnels of all sizes, in the wondrous world deep beneath the surface.  They even explored the huge, endless mines that his father operated with all the human "helpers", as father called them, who dragged the carts of minerals to the refining operations up top.  The humans would "help", when there were insufficient Gronogs to do the job.  

Huge, lumbering Gronogs. So strong, and obedient.  Very dark, and blind.  They had no eyes, and did not need them below.  There were never more than a few dozen Gronogs... but there were thousands of humans available to "help".  Father could always ask king Telemanxis III -- to get some more men into the mines.

The men didn't seem to like the underworld very much.  Sometimes the humans got hurt, or sick.  Sometimes there was an accident and father would send little Braandu up to the castle.  He wouldn't be allowed back down until everything was fixed again.

He loved his human children friends.  All princes and princesses.

And all dead.  They had all been hunted down that day by the little goblins and slaughtered by the horrible orcs.  Then they had cornered Braandu, and his older sister, and his mother.  Where was father?  Out on the battlefield.

Mother and sister had killed dozens.  Braandu could not believe his family's raging fury, and their power as they fought to protect him.  The choking fumes, the energy discharges, the flashes, the screams of the orcs who fell.  And how they fell!  They had cornered not helpless rats, but fundimentalist moles in their home-lair.  The orcs fell, shredded, choking, melting, in flames.  Peering out from behind his mother, Braandu had been so astonished that he had not even been really afraid until the larger trolls broke through and grabbed his mother and smashed his sister.  Then the goblins turned on him.  They nailed him to the stone wall with father's spear points while they cackled with sadistic glee.  What happened to him then?  That laughter.  He could still hear it...

[HA, HA, HA, HA!] the voices laughed in his head.  [Stupid Fool!  You are DEAD!  Don't you remember?!  So Dead!  So Dead!  Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!  You are locked in a dead statue stumping around for over 40 years!  Stupid boy, give up and die! AGAIN!]

Braandu turned away from Princess Alexia and tried not to listen.  His anger burned inside.  His Center burned inside.  He felt the rage at the orcs, the trolls, the goblins.  And rage at his father who had not saved him or his sister, but had only arrived just in time to transfer Braandu's last wisp of life-energy to this accursed, metallic GoolooMendu form in King Telemanxis I's armour.  

So Braandu threw down his shovel with a reverberating "CLANG!"  Shards of rock flew up in to the air.  Without looking at Alexia again, or father, or Tethon, or anybody else,  he stomped down to the river -- disappearing under the water to cool off.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2005, 02:11:34 PM »
Klaatu looked up as he felt Braandu's emotions rising.  It happened so quickly, as it sometimes did.  Braandu had been thinking pleasant thoughts as he stood near his father and Alexia, then he had suddenly gotten upset, then in a rage.  Then people were ducking from the loud clang of the shovel followed by the bits of rock flying by.

Klaatu hustled after his son who strode with mighty, earth-shaking steps down the rocky slope into the water.  <"Braandu!  Wait!  What's wrong?"> he squeaked, with no effect.  The mole-man stood dejectedly on the bank with his shoulders slumped, unable to do anything but watch as his son's powerful metallic form submerged; out of sight, and once more out of touch.

Klaatu watched the water swirl by for a minute, then turned and started back up the hill to Alexia.  

His only thought, "Must get that Rod."

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2005, 03:59:04 PM »
OOC: Hey everybody, sorry to have been away so long but I have been having difficulties accessing the internet. But it appears that i was not the only one. I can't really make a really solid post right now, but obviously I will post something.

IC:
Look at all of this gold! With that map alone there would be enough money to buy a small army! Was there really more? How much more was there if he used gold for making maps? Countless surely. What had They stumbled upon when they had met this individual.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »
Klaatu walked purposefully back up to the group by the cave entrance.

"You, prin... I mean, miss Alexia,"  he said, pointing up at the elf, "You have a scroll that can help lead to the Rod.  Of course, Alexia, if you wish to detour to meet with your allies, your allies and warn them, I would be happy to help."

"And, you, my friend."  he said, pointing up at Grim.  "You have another scroll, that also can help lead to the Rod."

"Let us NOW, please, without further delay, put these scrolls together and see what they show us!  We have delayed long enough.  I have not hidden from anyone why I need this, need this Rod, to help my son.  I swear that I mean none of you any harm.  There are excellent reasons for us to work together, work together during dangerous times as these.  But if no one will go, will go with me and my son, then we will go alone."  

"You all may have other reasons, other reasons to seek the Rod.  I care not.  Maybe it still works, maybe not.  But whatever this artifact is, we cannot do, do anything with it until we find it.  Show us the scrolls.  I will give you money, money if you like.  Let us get going.  What say you?  What say you?"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2005, 09:37:57 AM »
OOC: Sorry it took so long! Internet issues at home and the Internet is not responding to the router. Now that I have some time spared this day (at work), I will be able to create a legit map of certain markings. Please note that the map will not be perfect so if your character was born some place else…just follow along.

Grim, since you’re character has not had time to ‘post,’ I’m going to assume you obliged by ‘keeping your eyes on the scroll.’

IC:
Alexia’s wary train of thought was soon dissolved when a loud clash hit stone and vibrated to her toes. Her ice blue eyes quickly sped to the commotion towards the Giant. He seemed rather angry or remorseful, one or the other. It was when the Mole-man spoke to her with the very fine line of speaking royalty; she turned her attention and glared for a moment until he said her name. Still it wasn’t good enough. Then again, nothing ever seemed to be good enough.

‘Ah, yes the word ‘Princess’ comes to my attention. A word, which holds authority. And the word authority comes to my mind as declaration and independence for all- yet here I am bound by a world that accommodates me, superior. I am not ‘superior’ in their eyes but they oblige my will. Why? I am but a girl- a she-elf if you will. And yet they oblige me…spirits know, why can’t I?’

Alexia looked up from starring off at the rather shinny map. It was rather ironic how her next question was already answered. The Mole-man wanted to undo magic already given on his son. Surely everyone else had his or her own desires. What was the Rod? She held a powerful artifact in the eyes of many, but in hers, it was just a small sheet of paper- cursed.

Alexia held out her portion of the map and calmly waited for Grim. Once he had done so, Alexia frowned. Nothing happened. Strange. There came a soft vibration through her fingers but nothing else. Patients? She thought. No. “He was a prophet.� Alexia shook her head and stashed away part of the scroll. Hope seemed to bubble with anticipation- things seemed to fall in place, slowly, but surely.

“Tethon, the poem I told you about. Remember? Whoever wrote that poem was a prophet. ‘Hidden and found by one lack of sight.’ I found that piece of parchment!� Alexia looked back down at the map and pointed to the Iilk Desert. “ ‘To the dry temptress of a desert heat.’ That’s the hottest desert! So the third scroll either lies in the desert of in the Mountains!� Alexia gave herself a reassuring smile before realizing what she had said about the desert. “Oh.� She grunted.

~*~*~

“Captain,� Aarnorn shivered. “The Dwarves have decided to help you under one condition, you pay them.� Aarnorn drew back from the predictable rage. Yinkus stopped writing and slammed down the green quiver. Aarnorn didn’t jump, only moved back, bowed and dashed out of the tent.

“So the d**n fools want to play a little green game. Well, mark my words the Leet family will prevail. I will have that Rod and title if I have to kill every last son of a-,�
“With a temper like that I would challenge your ego as well.�

Yinkus turned on his heel as his attention was focused on a rather tall and slender woman. His anger was suppressed for the mean time. Her pigment was light green, almost as if she were a sick Human. Her eyes were the mesmerizing colors between honey gold and emerald green. “Siquest, a pleasure to see you’re beautiful face in my presence once more.�

Siquest was the daughter of the Goblin King, the one Yinkus wanted to ally with. She glared at him for a moment before relaxing on his fur bed. “Might I inquire as to what you wish this evening your highness? An explanation as to why you rode a four day trip to see me will be justified so your father doesn’t-,�

“My father sent me on behalf of the agreement. I am to enforce that so.� Siquest gave him a half-smile. “As well as a wedding present.� Yinkus could feel his rage boil, but he turned around and glared at nothing, brushing his white knuckles against his thick mustache. Siquest rose from the bed. “Since you decided to deflower me before I was to marry the Prince, I am offered to you.� Her eyes grew dangerous. “He wants 10 thousand gold for each of his ranked men. The unranked ones will receive 2 thousand. Prisoners who obey will receive one hundred gold.�

The Captain pondered this a bit as Siquest went on. “Since you defied my father’s orders in killing Benu as well as his daughter-,� Yinkus spun on his heel. “His daughter?� He glared at her as she nodded, wanting to continue but was cut off. “I did not see a daughter. You’re father lied to me.� Siquest brushed back her long ebony hair. “No matter, if she is alive as was your orders, she would have gotten that letter.� Yinkus eyed her suspiciously before turning on his heel. “Aarnorn.�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2005, 07:35:02 PM »
"Fine, then."  Klaatu said.  "Let us be off for the Iilk desert."

This was not to his liking.  Not that there was any location other than underground that Graandu-people would feel comfortable.  But the desert was too bright and hot. It hurt his eyes, or at least it used to; moreover, he liked to keep a moist nose.  But, nothing was being accomplished standing where they were.

The mole man shuffled down the hill to the water.  Standing on the bank, he slapped his gloved hands together; the metal fingernails striking sparks.

"<Braandu!>" he squeaked loudly.  "<Come!>"

There were a few bubbles from beneath the river's cooling flow, then a swirl, then the armoured form of the metallic "juggernaut" strode up out of the water.  

"<You all right?>" squeaked his father. The son nodded, and retrieved his shovel and trunk.

It looks like they would be off, ooloo willing, to find the ancient Rod of Lordly Might.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2005, 11:44:12 AM »
At the mention of a dessert, Tethon's face broke off into a grin which was quickly suppressed. Even with a straight face, it was obvious that his mood had been lifted, maybe even more so than after having found the sword that he now wore at his hip. His shield however remained unreplaced by anything that Klaatu had made, with its lightly charred center and worn edges that marked years of use and need of replacing.

"We will need lots of water. I am unfortunately not familiar with the Iilk dessert, but needless to say, it would be best to travel at night and sleep during daylight. I suggest that we all start sleeping a little later every night to get used to waking upon nightfall. A moments preparations saves a year of work." The common saying came out with some diliberation. "Pack light everybody, everything seems to weigh more in the sand, and make sure that your garnments are loose."

We will need a tent that can stand up to high winds and I recall some kind of animal that the Idomo tribe of the Malkasian dessert rode instead of horses. I think that they were called Camels or some such. If anybody knows where we can find some, then it would be best if we could procure some. If I remember correctly, they can go much longer without water than horses, and they also blend in with the scenery. Thats another thing. Wear white or light brown clothing."

"There will be different preparations if we go to the dessert so I suggest we start now."

• Grand Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2005, 05:32:21 PM »
Dawn blinked carefully listening to what the man had to say, she walked behind a rock waved her hands over her body and the clothing she was wearing turned to a dusty, sandy white, she smiled to herself and walked out from behind the rock again, she looked around and blinked again, "so a desert, and camals, and hardly any water or rain or anything like that! sounds like fun" she said her face breaking into a joyful smile, "i'm more of a nightwalker anyway" Dawn boasted looking around to see if anyone was listening.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »
The little metallurgist nodded.  "Right."  He had been to the desert before.

Klaatu pulled out a metallic foil blob which was folded up like a fan.  With quick motions, he pulled it open to a box shape and pressed the edges together as he and Braandu walked down to the water's edge.  With a sudden "ZAP" sound that surprised those watching, the flexible foil box suddenly became nearly rigid in his hands.

Braandu took the box, which was now big enough to hold several water-melons, and dipped it into the river.  He then hoisted it over his helmeted head and set it on the top of the trunk strapped to his back.  Stepping on his son's hand, Klaatu clambered up and strapped the water-tank in place, and then sat on top.  The tank flexed comfortably under his rear end.

"Water for a week, a week, if we're careful.  I estimate you each will need approximately 6.82 sexte per day" the mole-man said.  "Buy whatever items you need at the town of Sarasan, at Sarasan by the desert.  We'll be there by morning, if we hike now, hike now."

"I already have my "Kam-el".  And, he doesn't need water!"  He grinned down at them from atop his mount.  With, that, Braandu started striding off at his usual pace -- a very fast walk -- toward the town of Sarasan, as evening gathered around them.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2005, 07:56:55 PM »
OOC: I'm sorry guys the post is actually quite long. It's on my laptop (this is a desktop). I will be posting later this evening or tommorrow. I'm sorry for my delay!! And bad grammar...wait bad spelling too! :)

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2005, 06:22:16 PM »
As they started, Klaatu looked back (and down, which was unusual for the little fellow) at the Princess.  

"Alexia," he said, "do you wish to stop off at your neighbors' lands, or do we, do we travel straight toward the desert?"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2005, 11:03:04 PM »
OOC: Once again my apologies. I’m coming down with something and school has started once again. I am also working on a map. The map that I have already is a basic one. If you have had your own tribe or own village on ‘unmarked’ land. Please do not fret. That’s why I left it ‘unmarked.’

IC:
At the sound of sleep, everything would seem fine. They had a map that was accurate and could get them where they need be. In a way the desert wouldn’t seem like much to her, except the wild stories of heat strikes and desert Munds. Shivering, Alexia changed her garment to a loose white dress. It was made with a V-neck line and swayed at her heels with her every movement. It was made for many purposes, like riding. Instead of side riding, the under portion of the dress had slits up to her thighs for easy movement while there was an overlay so nothing showed, except when it rained.

There was another advantage Alexia carried, her hair. Strange enough as it was white, it would do her good to keep cool in the sun. Around her hips hung a light tan belt, thin but strong enough to carry her blades. Biting her lip, she headed back towards the group to find her friendly companion- Recko.

Alexia wasn’t going to take a Ka-meal and since the Army was apparently on the move, she wasn’t going to let him die either. Selfish? Alexia looked at Recko who seemed to swish his tail at the on coming flies. Normal. Something else seemed to be missing. Her attention was off once the mole-man spoke to her. There came silence from her for a moment. Should she go see the rest? What if there were none? Surely the Dwarves would help her.

Three days. It was all she had. The Desert would nearly be 5 days from the edge to the end. Getting there and crossing rivers would be a four-day journey. “Yes.� Where would she stop at? Then it hit. Underground. “Klaatu, if I may ask, I’d like you to guide us through the tunnels. I don’t know much through the tunnels.� Alexia frowned already lost in thought. It would be a day’s ride to the next village and there should have been a small wooden cave leading towards the underground mines. “We have a day’s ride.�

Alexia sighed and pointed towards the North West. She was lost in her collective thoughts once more. Lately that’s all it’s been. Thoughts. Were they telling her something? Finally another yawn ended her thought as she stared blankly towards the horizon.

~*~*~

“How many General.� Yinkus asked as a Dwarf marched in. In respect he bowed his head and removed his iron helmet. Burns scared his face while his skin was almost a blackish-brownish color. General Gindly’s hazel eyes stared the Human down. “20 fleet. Ready.� Yinkus snorted. “I asked for 50 fleet ready.� The General nodded his head in apologies. “Captain, I am but-,� “ I do not care what you are,� Yinkus rose and headed towards the short man who stood but four feet flat. Yinkus knew he had power and authority. This ‘man’ was nothing more than the size of a tot except for the face, beard, and wide body. “You’re King, General, is crossing boundaries. I have paid handsomely for second rate? This is war, not a debate!� The General cringed. He was nothing more than a humble miner.

“It will cost and extra several days for the fleet to move in. 15 counts now. Good day.� With that Gindly walked out of the tent. Yinkus however headed back towards the map laying out the villages. “So he had a daughter.�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2005, 10:49:05 AM »
OOC:  Do you intend that we see your map?  Does Strolen's Citadel have that capability?  That would be nice.

IC:  Klaatu said, "I would be happy to guide.  Alexia, let us head back south a bit toward your country, to the mine entrance, the entrance.  One is only two hours from here."  

"Not that I cannot easily get us in, get us in if that one is blocked.  I would be happier underground anyway, as you might imagine."