llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Rod of Lordly Might  (Read 49525 times)

0 Members and 2 Barbarians in a Horde are spying on this topic.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »
The seeming-man clumped up the hill from the river.  His path was carefully chosen, and he knew the way.  As he reached the rocky areas, he slowed down and stepped slowly and carefully, as he had been taught.  Now and again, he paused at one point or another to activate a hidden timer that would allow his immense metallic frame to pass without setting off a trap.  There was the gas, the flare, the pit, the screamer, the log-roll, the rockslide.  Further up, there were others -- some instantly lethal -- at least to anything normal.  Deer and badgers would pass.  The traps were diabolically clever against anything large or intelligent, or especially if it carried metal.  He had helped to build them.  

Father was 'paranoid', Braandu would have thought, if he had ever heard of the word.

But there was no such word in Graandusqueak.  All Graandus were mentally balanced, or perhaps that is what they inwardly thought.  There was a squeakword for "crazy", but it only applied to non-Graandu; that is, to non-mole people.  Braandu didn't think about such things anyway.  He was only eight.  Indeterminately eight.  Eternally (?) eight.  [Don't think about that.]

Always learning, but never wiser.

If he did not become wiser soon he would perish.  Or worse.

It was almost midnight.  He was approaching the cave entrance.  He transferred his shovel to his left hand and put out his right to activate the hidden mechanism that opened the large round rock which covered all but a crack of the opening.  

But inside, his father had heard him coming and exclaimed, "BRAANDU!  BEWARE!  SOMETHING BIG,  IS OUTSIDE, IS OUTSIDE WITH YOU!"
"Stop thinking, and Dream."  /  Selene Nightwalker

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2005, 12:59:40 AM »
Andimia's eyes snapped open and she clutched her head. She nearly screamed but bit down on her lip untill she tasted blood. Something was paining her ears, making her brain scream. The most painfully awful sensation, yet the sound was still distant. no matter how tightly she pressed her hands upon her ears she couldn't keep the sound out. It made her insides turn and she felt sick.

Still wet and miserable on top of it she pulled her knees to her chest, hugging them with her long arms as she layed her head upon them. The sound ceased just for a moment when she heard heavy footsteps off in the distence behind her. When she turned to look she saw the large armored thing that took out quite a few soldiers by itself before.
Maybe he knows where the others have gone. She watched the thing, maybe thirty feet away (hard to tell in the dark) as it's pace slowed and it carefully picked its way among the rocks. She quirked a brow when the man periodically bent to touch something  every once in awhile. She froze.

"Traps..." she whispered to herself. She looked around, not moving her arms or legs, making sure she wasn't sitting on one. Sure, she could find and disable traps, but she wasn't that good at it. Andimia glanced down to a large scar that ran up the side of her right calf and she remembered how close that spike was to distroying her leg. The scar was a constant reminder how inadequate her trapfinding skills were, luckily the spike trap only grazed her.

She looked to the dark sky and whispered a prayer to Tymora for keeping her out of the traps thusfar. She watched the man as he approached a large rock, from behind it she heard the mole-man from earlier shout. Her eyes widened trying to see what he was yelling about.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2005, 10:58:39 AM »
Tethon gripped his ears in pain for ten seconds before he simply collapsed. Not even twitching. There was no blood, and no reason to think that Tethon was hurt, but he simply did not move. It was as if he had gone into a coma. His heart still beat, and he still breathed, but there was no life in him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The pain. It hurt so bad. Pounding hard inside. The pain went away as soon as Kivvals ears turned off only moments later. What was that? A sonic attack. Kivval had known mages to cast sound attacks, but could this have been a mages doing. Yes it could, but a strong mage at that. Or maybe something else. The thought was not comforting.

Whatever the answer, there might be more immediate problems at hand. That little man had just shouted something. There is something big outside with you. That was not good. Wether it could be dealt with was another story, but, only time would tell.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2005, 02:27:57 PM »
After the ring stopped for a brief moment and then something else felt different. As though somebody was about to lose their life. She quickly looked down at the royal guard and noted his breathing. It was shallow; but not too the point of danger. No, it was something else...

Wheeling around on her chair she felt the rock and listened, pushing her white hair away. Her ice blue eyes danced on the shadows of the wall in panic. Feeling warm tears fall down she failed at finding her way out and sat there feeling a clench in her heart; as though someone shattered it.

_ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It seemed like endless hours until the ringing had stopped. Turning around to see his wife killed by the enemy he cried, taking up a long bow, unused arrows with special tipped poison and used arrows and beginning to hide behind a large tree, shooting corners rapidly. Thoughts of death poured into his heart and focus until something in the distance moved forward.

His strength was massive as was his body build under the layers of special armor. An emblem of a sphinx holding a twisted blade was embedded on his armor and sword. The Kings guess was the enemy who stood before him was the leader and King. But why the Elven village? Still the thought of death lingered in his saliva. Taking up a bow the man in armor held in his right hand (cloaked) and stuck his blade in the Kings stomach. Blood frothed from Alexia’s father’s mouth as a yelp escaped and then a grunt after the sword had twisted. Upon further movement he was thrown against the thick tree and beheaded upon spot; his head trailing towards the leaders foot as he picked up the head, letting the blood drop.

A soldier off in the distance witnessed this writing it down on a yellow parchment with a special blue ink only shown in moonlight. He then collapsed on the ground not finishing his last sentence; dead.
I wear that yellow ribbon.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2005, 06:05:56 PM »
Braandu froze.  Something Big...  What?  He turned and surveyed the dark, wet landscape.  He didn't sense anything near.  No warmth other than traces of the day's heat radiating off the rocks, the surfaces already cooled considerably by the rain.  No metal nearby... wait... there was the sensation of metal and warm humanoid flesh hiding a short way down the hill, holding still.  Only one, it seemed.  Not armored.  Not even clothed that much, to tell from the heat signature.

That wasn't 'Something Big'.  Anyway, the traps always frightened away the curious ones who occasionally overcame their fears of the 'haunted mountain'.  (It did not occur to him that one who followed him might see how he inactivated the traps, but then, he was only a boy.)  What was it Father was concerned with?  He began to be fearful.  What if the Something Big was Big Enough to attack him?

In the cave, Klaatu could sense his son's emotions rising.  He heard a clatter and glanced at the two guests inside, and was distressed to see that they were afflicted somehow.  The female had flailed about then started crying.  Why?  The male was apparently in a trance.  All this at once!

He had to tend to his son, first.  Braandu's mental and emotional state was so precarious.  Klaatu squeaked in the mole tongue, "Graniterockdoor I/Father Open!  Watch/Guard!  None/Outsiders enterpast Braandu!"  The squeaks and clicks were high and varied, but even to 'outsiders' the tone was unmistakable.

Braandu lifted his shovel to the ready and watched outward again as the rock rumbled open and Klaatu stepped out, with staff in hand.  Braandu was starting to focus on an elusive sensation of something too cold to be normal but alive in a manner unlike warm-blooded things like men, elves, orcs, or even deer.  Large, cold, and still...

However, Klaatu touched his son's sizeable arm.  No words or squeaks were spoken, but the message was, "Let us go inside.  We will be safe.  I have guests that need attention."  They stepped inside while the the rock began to rumble shut, although Klaatu kept a sharp eye on the opening while it closed.

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2005, 02:08:23 AM »
Andimia slowly picked her way down the hill, going the same route she had come by. once at the bottom she ran to where she saw the big man go up. She began going up the hill and stopped about where she saw the large man stoop down first and searched the ground but couldn't find anything.
"I better not press my luck with these traps." she  muttered as she continued searching the ground around her, but remaining still.

OOC: since they're your traps, dream, you can decided weather I find the switch or not, I can RP it out either way  :)

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2005, 08:04:12 PM »
OCC:  Of course, you have my permission to follow Braandu disarm the traps you saw him inactivate, and join us.  I tried to say that, but I guess I didn't communicate very well.  I'm not fussy about anyone interacting with my "stuff" as long as you're not magically replicating my character's special abilities.  For example, you probably cannot transmute his chemicals unless you are also an alchemist.  If you use his staff, you might blow yourself up!  If you use my knife, it's just a knife, although truly an exceptional one as I'll explain later.  I'm not a big stickler for the rules, since I'm new and don't really know them all, anyway.   :)

IC:  Klaatu scurried over to the girl, "What happened!?" he said in Common.  She was conscious and he took her hands.  "Hmmm," he thought as he held them... "she is not sick, but has had quite a jolt of fear in her; the fundimental traces are strong.  She'll probably be all right."

He hurried over to Tethon.  Taking the elf's hands, he looked at the blank eyes and the vacant expression and concentrated on the touch.  A minute passed.  "By ooloo the Great"  the mole-man exclaimed to everyone and no one in particular.  "He is hardly here at all, at all!  Where has his mind gone to??  He is not sick or poisoned.  He is barely thinking, barely thinking, and that might be only enough to command his heart and lungs.  This kind of trance, of trance is new to me."

"Braandu!  Carry his form, his form to the straw pile.  Gently, now!"  The lumbering son put down his shovel and obeyed.

Klaatu turned back to the young lady.  "Please tell me, tell me what is going on!  I'd like to help.  What sort of Thing, of Thing is following you?  And where did your other companions go?"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2005, 05:16:25 AM »
OOC: I must ask, Dream, what companions are you speaking of?

IC:
Alexia didn’t want to be rude to the man who was helping her. She didn’t bother looking over at Tethon. “Where’s a way out?� She finally managed to say wiping what tears were left. She was fatigued but she wanted to know what the ringing noise was and why something felt horrible inside.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2005, 06:00:13 AM »
OOC: I think that dream is talking about Andimia and Omaru as the other companions.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2005, 10:55:11 AM »
OCC:  There was also someone named "Ajax".  Whatever.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2005, 04:36:39 PM »
OCC:  My wife says I have to leave this exciting roleplay behind and go on vacation for the next 9 or 10 days to the Carribbean.  No fun, just SCUBA, partying, snorkeling, partying, sailing, and partying.  I probably won't have Internet access, so I hope this next post will hold until the end of next weekend.  Did I mention partying?   :D

IC:  Klaatu said to his son, "Braandu, finish loading the trunk."  The man-thing went over to the forge and opened a large wooden trunk held together with steel bands, and started putting tools from the forge into it.

The mole-man said to Alexia, "I see that you must leave.  I am very sorry, but I cannot heal this trance-path your friend, your friend has entered.  Worse, as I may have said before, I have to leave tomorrow on a journey for perhaps two days.  I will disarm the traps, the traps along the path here so that you may get help for your friend and return.  Here is how to open the cave door" (he showed her the mechanism).  "There is food and water in the well, and if your friend revives himself he will know how to get it, as he saw me do that before."

"We will come back, come back and find you, if we survive."  (at this, the armoured figure paused, and looked at his father.)  "Here is a Cersi; a stone that I have carried for a long time."  Klaatu reached into his robe to a pocket in his vest, and removed a piece of what seemed to be quartz, except that it glowed a light blue inside.  He gave it to Alexia.  "This carries a trace of my essence, my essence.  I can find you almost anywhere, but this is very important... Are you listening?  Good, yes, this is important... You must keep it warm.  Keep it on your person, and I can find you."

He went on, "If you are captured or are in great need, swallow it.  Your body heat and essence, and essence will call to me, and I will come as fast as I can.  But be aware that I am travelling quite a distance.  If the stone passes, passes through, recover it from your waste and clean it before swallowing it again, it again.  I will do what I can for you because while you have not told me, I sense that there is something terribly wrong in your heart, and I regret that we cannot come with you now."

"Keep the Cersi-stone warm!"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »
Alexia looked over towards the guard who seemed too far gone at this point. She looked back, took the stone and held it at the palm of her hand, making a tight fist around the stone. She didn’t say much and dragged Tethon by the arms (after putting the stone in a velvet pouch near her waist), towards the dirt. The rain had saturated the ground as much had made his move a lot easier. She rubbed her temples, which pounded harder and whistled.

A black horse seemed to appear out from the forest and towards Alexia. The horse seemed to turn to the side as if waiting for a jump and a spontaneous adventure. After minutes of attempts, Alexia managed to put the unconscious guard on the horse and sat behind him (after taking her cloak and wrapping Tethon with it), clicking her tongue to spring off towards her homeland.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2005, 10:14:44 AM »
A horse would just spring up out of nowhere, thought Kivval. This would make things more difficult. Kivval would have to hurry to keep up. At least the horse would not be able to move at a full gallop. The heavy running would surely loose Tethon from his precarios purch on top of the horse. A light trot at the most.

As the horse trotted along, with Kivval in silent pursuit, the smell of another was in the air. Andimia by the scent of her. Probably close enough to see. As Kivval went by, a pair of eyes could be seen a little way off. Kivval's hearing and sight were linked. When that mage casted his sonic attack, and Hearing went, so did eyesight. Not completely, but enough so that Kivval could only see things a short distance away. That and eyes. Kivval could see people's or animal's eyes exceptionally well for some reason. They seemed to shimmer about themselves, make themselves known, and shine with a clarity like no other.

There were two exceptions. The Armoured Giant with the shovel, and Alexia. Alexia's eyes were somehow duller. They still shone, but they were duller, as if a thin film was placed between Kivval and her eyes. Kivval could not even see the eyes of the giant at all. This was particularily unusual. Either there was something very unusual about the giant, or it had no eyes at all. Likely the latter. That left the question of vision. The Giant could clearly "see" in a sense, but most creatures use eyesight at least a little. This left the question of how the Giant was able to see. Although, if he spent time with the Fundimentalist, it was not unfathomable that another way had been developed, even inside a suit of armor...

OOC: Sometimes players like to spot the guy stalking in the shadows. My advice is, don't. Kivval is a unique character, and unless I pm you to tell otherwise, just assume that Kivval is doing a very good job staying in the shadows.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2005, 12:04:45 PM »
OOC: I knew all along you were watching. I wasn’t anticipating on making some sort of movement to locate you.

IC:
After hours of the same forest floor and shady thick trees, Alexia slid off on the right side and took up the horses’ leather reins. Tethon didn’t seem to show signs of improvement except for the body heat from the cloak. The treetops seemed to shake their large leaves as the wind told unmentionable secrets and stories. She smiled to herself and continued walking until stopping at a small lifeless patch.

Looking at the floor, it smelt of sulfur and sweating men. Broken bows were lodged into the trees with stained blood. Taking one of the closest arrows, Alexia examined it carefully and noted the work of the arrows tips and green bamboo-leaved feathers. A frown came across her face as she looked up and through, smelling a heavier scent of sulfur.

Taking the reins and dropping them the horse, Recko, followed without worry or question. A small village came to view, an almost replica of Alexia’s homeland. Trees were still burning as bodies littered around with half-elves. Heads had seemed to be removed of what looked to be royal threads. A small vibration seemed to itch through her body as she stood up and started to climb one of the ‘clean’ trees.

Reaching the top, sweat seemed to fall down her cheek until the wind cooled her body down. Thick clouds of black smoke filled in twelve places and one that looked to be fresh. Brushing back her white hair she skimmed the place and listened carefully for anything bout found it dead silent except for the fresh burning area. Screams were herd from women and children. With blue eyes she looked up towards a small star with one of the four large moons. It had a crater in the shape of a star on the left side. She counted down and found one of the spots of fire-clouds. It was dying out slowly as she climbed down and began to trot towards that direction as her anticipation seemed to gather with a sense of fear.

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2005, 02:09:09 PM »
OOC: sorry for not posting for awhile, I had to move out of my dorm and get my comp setup on the network at home :S moving sucks.  

IC: Andi kept searching for the switch, but it wasn't easy with the pounding in her skull, after a bit she found it and switched the first trap off.  
Resetting traps, she mused I should get me some of these.  She sprinted up to the next point where she had seen the hulking man stoop down, while she was searching the ground she spotted the moleman run across the hill switching all of the traps off, followed by Alexia who was dragging Teathon. Andimia kept silent just in case thing that the moleman was yelling about earlier was near her. She tried to find the second switch when Alexia whistled and a horse came out of the forest.  
"What the--" Andimia began to curse under her breath as she ran back down the hill and tried to signal Alexia. Andi picked up a small stone as she ran and hurled it at them but it bounced of Tethon's limp body. Alexia Clicked her tongue and they were off. Andimia slowed her run and stopped on the forest path. Her chest heaving she put her hands on her knees and tried to catch her breath. The half-elf was alone again, and nowhere near the place she intended to be. Cursing, Andi kicked a rock and slung her pack off of her back. She crouched down and emptied all of the silver and Jewelry out onto the forest floor. She put a few rings in her side pouch along with a necklace, but left the silverware and silver plates on the forest floor, She stuffed the cup back into her pack. Her pack was much lighter now wich would make travelling easier, as she began a quick but steady jog up the path.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2005, 08:55:16 PM »
Klaatu watched the elf-maiden disappear off down the hill with some satisfaction.  "At least she can get help for her companion" he thought, "...but where did that horse spring up from?  ...Oh, well."  

Then he sensed Andimia run briefly after the horse... and stop, apparently out of breath.  There was clatter of what was clearly human-crafted-silver-workmanship.  Klaatu's first thought was about the metal, of course.  "I don't need any silver right now," he thought.  "Besides, from the sound alone it's clearly alloyed with base metals.  But I need to stop her!"  He scampered quickly down to her as she crouched there and stopped her just as she began to take off at a brisk clip.  

"Hello, hello, again!" he yelled.  "The elf-girl had to leave suddenly, leave suddenly.  Her male-elf was stricken with some malady and she took him for help, some help."

Then he squinted up at her face as he thought over the wisdom of asking for aid from someone he didn't really know well, but decided to chance it.  

"Braandu and I must take a trip, a trip of two days to consult with a friend, a friend of mine" he said.  "It is important that I go, but I could use your help, your help, if you are willing to travel with us and return.  My eyes are poor and yours are apparently excellent.  If you would accompany us and help keep us from being delayed, being delayed by the humans and their patrols on our journey, I will pay you well, yes, very well indeed.  Much more that those impure silver plates, quite impure.  What say you?  What say you?"

OCC:  Alexia, although Klaatu has good hearing, my characters did not react to the "Sonic Attack" like the elves did.  I assume the spring steel noisemakers do not cripple races other than elves; certainly not at a great distance as your post seemed to indicate.  If I am wrong, of if you want to provide guidance on how this weapon affects men, horses, or mole-men, etc, please let me know and I'll try to adjust.  Thanks.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2005, 09:24:36 PM »
OOC: You have a point and to aid your theory: the ‘army’ was using it against elves so in my best interest there had to have been some sort of material made in that metal to hurt elves only. This does include any character to have any type of elven in them (even a small amount, of course it wouldn’t have GRAVE effect on them either).

Also, for many of you to know where ‘a horse sprang out of nowhere,’ there’s going to be an interesting twist to it. Just be prepared...

IC:
What seemed an endless madness turned out to be nothing more than another burned down village. Bodies were decapitated of high standards while the less-fortunate were tied up, beaten and raped. Alexia inhaled the stench of burning carcass and wanted to cry but at the same time she felt nothing towards them, only the strange and spontaneous feeling that occurred when she lashed out to cry. Climbing trees wasn’t that hard but figuring out where the spot she needed to be at soon started to become hard as the smoke faded with time.

Thirty-minutes had passed when she finally reached familiar bodies. Friends, distant relatives, children and prisoners were killed by the same arrows that had shot her. An instant pain reached her shoulder as she let go of the horses reigns and left Tethon for a brief moment. Looking around she could see everyone tied up or slaughtered to nothing and homes burned down in the tress. The guards’ heads were put on pikes while the blood had salt under them to drain it quickly without running and leaving hand prints.

Still no sign of her immediate family. “Maybe they got out.� She thought alas feeling a comfort relief. It soon changed with she saw her father’s body but no head. It had been cut off and dragged towards the blacken forest. Her mother’s body had been taken advantage of and her too had her head decapitated. Tears streamed unconsciously down her face as she buckled her knees and fell to the forest floor. Memories poured into her mind and clouded her thinking. This was the reason she cried.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2005, 08:27:59 PM »
Braandu noisily ambled down out of the cave entrance to his father and put an enormous mailed hand on the fundimentalist's shoulder.  Klaatu squeaked to him quietly, "yes, Braandu, we go soon.  I/Father cave/enter next.  Packing/box finish, We leave.  Goto Brendalo."  

The mole-man sniffed around a bit and squeaked again, "No smell/sense BigThing now.  Danger Gone/away."  He was not as confident as the squeaking to his son indicated, however, and the unknown thing that had been outside the cave continued to bother him.

More loudly, in Common, Klaatu said, "Well, young lady, my son and I will go up to the cave and finish packing.  We are off tonight, tonight, unless you are willing to accompany us, in which case I don't mind waiting, waiting until you are fed and rested.  I can also give you an advance, an advance on our trip together, if you like.  For expenses, so to speak.  One quarter now, one quarter when I get to oolooGonio Brendalo's tunnel, and the remainder, the remainder when we return.  I have a few small jewels, or you may have gold... or the finest steel, finest steel I expect you have ever seen."  He looked at her swords, sensed her knives.  "Indeed, I think you might appreciate the weapons-steel the most, the most.  I used to be armourer to Kings, you know."

He took the hand of the much larger figure and they started walking up the hill.  Looking back, Klaatu said to Andimia, "I suppose you saw some of my traps, my traps.  If you do not choose to come with us, please do not attempt to gain entrance, entrance to the cave or you will certainly discover others, other traps that you have not yet seen.  I would prefer to give you a gift now and have you leave as a friend, a friend, than return and find your body."

"It's up to her" he thought.  "I wonder if she's in so much of a hurry now, or whether she can wait two days."

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
Andimia stopped her jog when she heard the mole-man's squeaky voice shout out to her. She turned and raised a brow at the mention of payment but looked back up the path in the direction that Alexia had gone, obviously torn between which way she should go. The lure of payment on one hand and helping that elven girl on the other. There is something about her, Andi felt she needed to protect the girl, but there was no way that she would be able to catch up to Alexia while she was on horseback.  

Letting out a sigh she began to follow the moleman and his son back to the cave. A terrible sense of dread washed over her and she looked back over her shoulder, reluctantly she continued walking in the opposite direction the elven girl had gone. She jogged to catch up to the moleman and his son and walked silently behind them. Hopefully they won't stay here long, That noble was likely going to have people looking for his stolen belongings.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »
What seemed to be memories turned into a passionate hatred; looking around she could smell the blood upon her people. Alexia bit down on her lip, stood up and brushed her dirty dress off. Petting the horse she turned away from the village, not looking back. Stepping over the dead bodies she knew this would be one of the hardest things ever to accomplish or rid of. Keeping her ears open for any survivors her guess remained the same.

Tethon didn’t seem to move, budge or make the slightest movements. Letting go of the horses reigns she touched his cheek lightly with ice cold hands. There was still nothing from him. No improvements. Stopping the horse, she went under his chest and pulled him off the horse, landing on her butt with him on top with an “Oomph.�

Sliding towards the tree, she propped herself up against a burnt tree, still feeling the warmth from the deadened flames. She sighed and brushed the leaves from his tangled hair, letting her white hair drop towards the sides of his face. “Psst…wake up.�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2005, 10:16:21 PM »
Klaatu made a sweeping gesture to Andimia and the group walked into the cave.  The large trunk lay open near the forge, which was still glowing with an unusual heat.  Cabinets were open, and flasks, bottles, and containers of different powders were on the shelves.  Several of these were also in the trunk, along with a small anvil, some smithing tools, and assorted wrapped packages.  Braandu clumped over to the trunk and stood there, waiting.  

The mole man walked over to the weapons rack.  A variety of finely-crafted swords, spears, pikes, and shields gleamed there.  There were several different kinds of metal apparent in their manufacture.  None of the implements were painted, or even had leather grips.  Just the finest, polished, unadorned metal.  Steels, brass-colored alloys, the twinkle of gem-points functionally imbedded in blade edges, and unknown metals; all made to exquisite standards but without any trace of paint, tassles, artwork, or insignia.  They gave the impression of crisp, cold, brutal efficiency.  Light and strong.  Reliable and effective.  The warrior would have to add his or her own "art".

"Here."  Klaatu said.  "You might use a few, a few of these arrow points."  He picked up a long, apparently very heavy arrowhead from a box by the forge and with a quick flick of his large hand, flung it across the room -- where it imbedded itself with a "ching" into the granite wall at eye level.  A few chips of granite fell to the floor.  The point did not fall.  "They are unexcelled, unexcelled for long range shots, or for penetrating heavy armour.  My archers were greatly feared."  He walked over and with some effort, carefully pulled it out of the stone with a pair of pliers, avoiding the sharp edges honed on the arrowhead.

He then pulled out what appeared to be a hand-and-a-half Bastard Sword of about three feet in length.  It seemed to be much too thin to be able to withstand the rigors of combat.  With a practiced motion, he drew the metal under his nose quickly but carefully so as not to let the edge cut him -- and gave it a satisfied and noisy "Sniff" as if it smelled delicious.  Then, with a quick and easy swing, he flicked it toward a lump of iron slag by the forge.  The blade sliced off a piece of the heavy metal, which flew through the air and landed on the floor at Andimia's feet.  

With a flip, Klaatu reversed the sword and caught it by the blade.  He tossed it hilt-first to the half-elf.  His fingernails were apparently also made of metal, and they made a metallic scratching sound as the sword slid lightly over them.  The blade still keened with a high musical tone as she caught it handily.  Even after cutting off an inch-thick piece of iron, the ridiculously thin blade was undamaged, barely nicked.  It was laminated, forged in rippled paper-thin layers, made up of several kinds of metal, bonded to a deadly razor edge that sparkled and glisted from thousands upon thousands of nearly invisible gems that reflected microscopic rainbows.  A unique masterpiece, of untold value.  Totally plain, but totally beautiful.

"It's yours, if you want it.  Or check the rack and choose something else, something else more to your preference.  You might say making these is my hobby, my hobby."  He obviously knew the value of such weapons, and was unsufferably pleased with himself.  

"Or, you can have a useless lump, a useless lump of Gold."  He sniffed again, but this time with quiet derision.

While this went on, Braandu shuffled back and forth from one foot to another.  Then, he walked over to the corner and picked up an enormous maul, with an iron handle that ended in a point, just like the shovel.  The black hammer-head was easily a full hand wide, and massive.  The blade opposite to the hammer was much too big for such a tool.  Long and sharply-pointed both up and down, it appeared to be a silver battle-axe blade, and was of a different metal.  Unlike the other tools visible in the cave, it was adorned with gold filigrees and deeply engraved runes.  It had been skillfully welded into the head of the hammer.  He stuck the handle in his belt so the huge head protruded above, across his belly with the dirty tunic, out of the way of his massive arms.   Then he filled a good-sized bottle with water from the well, and hung that from another spot on his belt.  Finally, food from the cold-well went into a bag on his belt and more into the chest.  

He stood there again and looked at his father.  Expectantly?  That was unknown.  The narrow vertical slit from the base of the helmet over what would have been mouth and nose, and the horizontal slit for the eyes showed no eyes or face beneath.  Only a smooth stretch of shiny metal glinted, as if Braandu wore a mask of glistening metal under the helmet.

Klaatu looked at Andimia and said, "What will it be, my dear?... rest tonight, or leave right away?  It is all the same to me and my son, my son."

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2005, 11:22:57 AM »
The birds were waking. The world was just a shade lighter than it had been. The sun would be rising in only a couple of hours. Even the first bird could be heard chirping in the trees.

Morning would be coming, and a fresh day lay ahead, a full day, at least, for those who had taken to sleep between the old one and the new. For some it might not be so.

For some, like a thief, who had let a single chance encounter and a sisterly feeling let her lifestyle change from that of a comfy bed after a hard dishonest day's work, to sleeping in strange places with strange people.

For some, like a mole-man and his son, who had abandoned otherwise important dealings with important people, to help against an unknown danger, an unknown cold thing, for those who could not feel it near.

And for some, like a girl. A girl who had left her home and her family on the idea of adventure, who returned to find only pain and anguish. To find her past destroyed, and only the present remaining. Who sat alone, with the only person left who shared her home. The only person left who could understand, who felt her pain, or would feel her pain if he were not lying in her arms unaware of the world around him.

For those, there would not be a new day. Only the old one, broken by a world of darkness, and maybe an hour or two of rest. For those, all that was afforded them was the road ahead. The road of destiny and greatness. For some, this greatness would not be recognized with medals or honor or gold, but the road of greatness was the path that lie ahead of all of them, and the weariness and loneliness that it would come with it all.

-Chronicles of the Rod of the Rang'Shead Mountains, Volume I, chapter 3

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2005, 01:22:04 PM »
"We should keep moving." Andimia said as she examined the blade, realizing that it wasn't even slightly marred. She then tested the balance of the sword in her hand with a few swings. "Do you have any longbows in that arsenal? I left mine back at the inn." She gave the sword a few more swings, as if battling an invisible foe, then looking satisfied she looked to the moleman. "This will do just fine. Have you any daggers too?"

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »
OOC: I have to do this before I continue...is he dead or something?

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2005, 06:33:02 PM »
"Yes, I have three bows," Klaatu replied.  "They're in the back, the back in the corner.  'Contaminated', I might say, with wood."  He paused.  "That's a joke... a joke."  He looked at her hopefully, but no one laughed.  He wrinkled his nose and went on.  

"The long hunting bow and the short combat bow are composites, composites, mixed wood with tempered steel cores.  The middle-size one is only wood.  A good bow given to me by an elf I once befriended.  I keep it as a standard, a standard to test my improved models against, although I have never made a successful bow entirely of metal, of metal.  He didn't like my composite bows either, even though they gave greater range, range and power.  I can't use a bow very well.  Suit yourself, yourself.  You may want to shaft some, some of those 'squeak' arrow points."

The squeak-word was unintelligible.  It sounded like a quick whistle with consonants.

"Daggers and knives are under the bench there, over there.  Take what you can use.  We will be passing through some troublesome spots, some spots, and I'd like you ready as can be."

"You can add your eyes to my nose and ears.  Braandu will add... will add... " the mole-man hesitated and looked away, "his senses as well."  He glanced up at his son, who stood there silently.

"Let us move out tonight and cover ground before the dawn comes.  Then the humans will probably be about their wars again."  He sighed.

Braandu picked up the trunk.  It must have weighed over 400 pounds, but he hoisted it to his back in one smooth motion and slung it there with two thick leather straps over his shoulders.  Then he picked up the shovel.  If anything it was even taller than he was.  They went outside the cave.  Klaatu scrambled up the figure that towered over him, up on top of the trunk.

"This is a short trip, so we're travelling light, travelling light."  He didn't bother to see if she would laugh at this one.   "Let's go!"