llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Rod of Lordly Might  (Read 45699 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2005, 08:13:02 PM »
Klaatu watched his son throughout the process and tried to feel what the boy was feeling.  It was not encouraging, until Braandu began washing with the soap in the river.  Braandu had made the soap some time ago, combined from several elements his father had separated out before.  The boy had potential there.  He had a good teacher, and his metallic form allowed him a unique connection with fundimentals and their energy connections.  But he had no true sense of smell, and teaching him such things was difficult because of this and other differences.

Klaatu noted that his son was reciting his lessons while in the river.  That was reassuring.  Generations of Graandus had always turned to what they had been taught in times of difficulty.  Braandu was instinctively connecting himself to a timeless tunnel that stretched back thousands of years.  It was the Graandu way.  It was his way.  It would become his son's way.

Turning to the task at hand, Klaatu spoke to the half-elf, "Let's get cleaned up, cleaned up, eat, and heal."  He went inside the cave and set his helmet on a rock.  "I will activate the fountain and start a fire, a fire."  He dropped to the ground and stuck his nose in the dirt of the cave floor.  "There are rabbits, rabbits in the grassy area 100 paces, paces to the east.  You may try want to shoot a couple for dinner, or I have jerky in the trunk.  Your choice, your choice.  I'd be happy to cook them, cook them to your taste.  When Braandu comes back up we'll close up, close up the cave and be safe today."

The cave was smaller than the previous one.  He went to the back of the cave and moved certain stones in a certain order.  Clear water began to flow from a hole in the wall, into a large stone basin.  When filled, it drained along a small channel dug through the solid rock floor and disappeared down a hole.  He took a large drink, then ignited a hidden torch on the wall with his staff.  "Foomp."

Then he ignited a very small forge in the back with another "Foomp."  He went to the trunk and pulled out several items and took them into the cave.  "Here are cleaner, and purifier for your wounds, your wounds.  The latter will, shall we say? sting a bit, but it will eliminate infection, infection.  You will heal fast, you will see."  Pulling off his heavy robe, he dunked it in the water repeatedly, using some of the soap.  It came clean quickly, and he put it back on.  Before closing it up, he opened his vest and felt around his short gray fur at the very tender spots inside.  "That one will certainly hurt for a few days" he thought.  He dabbed on the purifier and suppressed a squeak from the sting... but which followed with a comforting warmth as he adjusted constituent fundimentals with his own body's chemistry to start healing.

"Your turn!" he said.  "Then, when we've eaten and we are safe, safe as we can be here, then let's talk.  If you don't mind, don't mind, I'd like to know more about you, my friend.  Tonight we'll leave at dark, at dark to go to my cousin's home.  I need to speak to him."

He looked at her as he buttoned up his robe.  "I was, I was not expecting orcs here.  You know as well as I do that they don't usually range this far south.  Thank you for coming this far with us."
"Stop thinking, and Dream."  /  Selene Nightwalker

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2005, 07:24:31 AM »
After moments of looking around there came something catching her attention. A piece of parchment! Sighing, she contemplated whether it be good or whether it be bad. “Stop.� With a sense of fatigue another sense tingled in her lower abdomen. Sliding off the horse, she walked over to the parchment; disgusted with the scent of carcass, picked up the blood-splattered paper and walked quickly back towards the horse. A slight pink of her cheeks gave her a nauseous feeling from the deads’ smell.

Once placed in front of her guard, she burrowed herself calmly between his shoulders. Opening the letter she read it carefully- placed in an old riddle. Smelling the note, she noted the ink was entirely different. It was a technique created years ago by accident, secretly given when times were hard. Finally out of thought, she put it away and would wait until night.
I wear that yellow ribbon.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2005, 12:04:46 PM »
Tethon Watched over her shoulder as she read the note, his head almost resting on her left shoulder as he did so, making him very aware of a small hole that was all that was left of the arrow wound. Tethon read the note as quickly as possible, but he only managed to half finish before Alexia brought the parchment to her nose, and what he had read had not made much sense to him.

As the horse continued foreward, Tethon started rummaging through his pack and produced some dried meat, and some hard bread. He had some better stores of food, but there was no telling how far they would be riding, and stopping to hunt food did not seem like a particularily good idea.

"Here, eat this" he said holding the food out to her "you will need your strength, espescially after not sleeping last night." Surely she was tired. She had not slept at all last night. It was almost a surprise that she did not start dozing off to the steady clop of horse-shoes on dirt.

It was good that she was not riding side-saddle like most ladies did. In fact, he realized that her dress was split for riding. It was actually a wonder he had not noticed before.

Tethon continued to keep watch on the surrounding forest for anything unusual. His eyes darted, even if his body was calm and relaxed.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2005, 12:24:12 PM »
Sighing she declined the food since her stomach didn’t take kindly to anything at this time. “How could anybody get a hold of that ink? Father wouldn’t have given it to him…yet the body itself had no head.� Frowning, Alexia quickly decided it best to leave the situation alone until more evidence would be matched. For now the riddle repeated itself in her mind. More information would come when the paper was blue and the letters were silver.

After silent yawns in her mind and the endless take of horseshoes clopping and small grunts the horse made. Yet, something told her to stay awake, it was quiet, distant and echoed in the back of her mind. A small grin escaped when she looked up to see a slight frown of thought from Tethon. “Apparently someone was ease dropping- in my case, read dropping.� Smiling she waved her hand in the air, pointed towards the south. “I’ll tell you in time, but we must go back to the mole-man. There is something I wish to ask him.�

Depending on the situation, she thought it best to let go of the sorrow. It wasn’t anybody’s fault and she wasn’t going to blame herself. Still, there were moments and memories of bonfires and getting into trouble were worth a crime unseen. Curiosity came into effect as the same tree-types were passed and the same speed seemed to flow gently. Nothing was herd but the daily gossip of the birds and stories of the wind. All before she dozed off silently.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2005, 08:06:27 PM »
Braandu clambered up the slope, clean as a fish.  He shut the trunk, slung it over his shoulder, and took it into the cave.  Then he opened it and set out a few items.  Klaatu gave his large son some instructions, then chattered a bit to Andimia, in Common, as he pulled strips of meat out of the trunk.  After soaking them in water "to remove the excess salts" as he put it, he warmed them up in a clever rack that pulled down over the fire.  The delicious smell of sizzling bacon filled the cave, but was vented out overhead as before.

"First things first.  Tactics.  Tactics.  At the risk of sounding obvious, remember that my sword is too light and sharp to be much good for normal blocking.  It can cut clean through lesser weapons, causing you to be hit by the shards, the shards.  Of course, your enemy may be surprised to find his best armour to be useless.  ...Oh...  I see you already discovered that.  Excellent, excellent."  

"Practice with the arrow points when you can.  It will be easier for you to recover them, recover them if you know where they're capable of going.  I don't have many more of them, and the dense mineral is mined out, mined out at this location.  Here is a sintered-diamond hone I made that you can use to sharpen the blades, the blades or the arrowheads if they get damaged.  Nothing else can be used to put an edge back on."  He gave her a small flat piece of metal that glistened with thousands of tiny rainbow points.

"If we encounter orcs again, or other strong groups of enemies, don't expect me to fight to the last, the last breath.  I am not a coward, but I am not a fighter, either.  My specialty has been equipping, equipping others to do their best in battle.  So expect me to dig in and prepare a counterstrike if necessary.  Good fundimentalism takes, shall we say, a bit, a bit of time.  There is no shame if you run, you run.  Braandu will probably walk away from battle, and if anyone tries to stop him, so much the worse, the worse for them."  He paused.  "It was not my intention to have him kill orcs" (at this he looked at his son who was sharpening his shovel with a file) "but I suppose he has to grow up a bit more every day."

Returning to his little speech, "If you run, which is well, please keep an eye on Braandu.  He is only 8, only 8 after all.  He cannot speak, but he hears quite well, and can see in some surprising ways, surprising.  Talk to him, and feel free to play with him... if you can find any way to do that without injury...  To you, I mean."

"If you get separated from me, stay near to Braandu and I will find him, or vice versa, vice versa.  He and I feel each other."  Reaching into a pocket in his vest, he gave Andimia a plain looking piece of rock.  

"This is a Cersi stone.  It contains my essence, since I have carried it for a time.  Keep it with you.  This is important... (he looked directly at her face with the glassy spectacles) Keep it warm, on your person, your person.  If it gets cold it will be useless.  If you need me to come quickly, swallow it and it will become even warmer and I will know that you need help.  I will come as soon as possible.  You should know, should know that I also gave one to that Elf-Girl we met, the one with the wounded shoulder.  I plan to check up on her later, after we've gone to Brendolo's house.  I hope her companion is all right."

"Finally, I don't wish to sound pretentious, but don't play with my belongings, my belongings, like my staff and such.  They are sometimes not, not what they seem.  You could get hurt."

"I apologize for talking so much, but it is our way to be prepared, prepared as best we can.  'Make Ready The Land When War Is At Hand'."

He picked up several deliciously thick pieces of bacon from the fire rack and put them on thin metal plates.  "But now, dinner is at hand!  You look hungry, young lady.  I expect these will warm your center.  If you'll allow me later on, I will help you rebalance your fundimentals and you will heal all the faster, the faster."  

Without further chatter, he started chewing on one of the crispy strips of salted venison with obvious glee.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2005, 09:06:10 PM »
Alexia jumped smacking her forehead. “I’m an idiot!� Alexia sat up straight and dug through her pouches. Taking a smaller one in particular that was touching her skin, she rubbed it with her hands feeling the warmth of her body flow into her hands and the stone. His thoughts came in her mind as she frowned- she wasn’t in dire need of his assistance. Putting the stone away back in its silk pouch and then touching her skin, Alexia exhaled without thought or explanation as to why she just jumped up from her sleep.

Looking up at the sky she grunted, settling her body back in between Tethon’s shoulders- a frown complementing her mood and thought.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2005, 09:18:30 PM »
Klaatu paused in mid-bite... "<Did someone call me?>" he felt within.

A moment passed.  The feeling faded.  Gone.  "<Oh, well.>" he thought.

Needle-sharp teeth gleaming, he went back to stuffing the flavorful roasted jerky into his face.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2005, 11:36:52 PM »
Andimia's ears perked up at the mention of the girl, but then looked a bit uncertainly at the stone. The half-elf nodded slowly as she took the stone and tucked it into a small pocket inside her leathers; right over her heart. It was one of many, normally used for holding coins.
She laughed at the mention of keeping away from his things. "Don't worry, I've learned to be careful of staffs and wands a long time ago." Andimia grinned as she took a slice of bacon and chewed it, happy to have warm food for once. "After we eat i'm going to the river and clean my leg off." Her ragged bandages had soaked through and streams of blood had dried upon her leg. "I could do with a good bath." she mused as she tugged at one of her brown curls. "But the last thing I need is for a troupe of orcs to stumble upon me while i'm naked and unarmed, so I guess that can wait a few more days." she cringed.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »
Braandu stumped over to the two.  He "looked" at his father closely.  Klaatu stroked the sturdy metallic hip that stood next to him in a fatherly way.

"<Oh, all right.>" squeaked the mole-man, to his son.  Then, in Common,  "Andimia, Braandu volunteers to go with you, with you while you clean up.  He promises not to look if you wish to bathe.  He says he's a good guard, which is quite true, quite true.  And you can trust him with your life."  He laughed.   "I think he really likes you!"

Continuing in Common, "Braandu, I do believe you are blushing!"  He reached up and slapped the armoured figure on the waist.  "Do you also turn red, turn red?"  he said as he teased his son.  

Embarrassed, the boy picked up his shovel and stumped outside and "stood guard" as the morning sun rose into the sky.

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2005, 06:33:15 PM »
Andimia paused mid-chew and looked from Klaatu to Braandu as he stood at the cave entrance and back again. She nodded as she continued chewing. "That would probably be best. There could be more patrolling the area and I'm not sure that I'd be able to survive another battle alone." She finished her bacon and pulled her pack over, rummaging through its contents. Frowning she looked up at Klaatu. "You wouldn't happen to have any soap would you?"

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »
"Here!"  Klaatu tossed a glass bottle of an unusual, thick pink liquid to the half-elf.  She caught it and looked it over.  He went on, "Braandu made this.  Let him know if you like it.  He is becoming quite good, quite good at separating and combining fundimentals."  

At the sound of his name, the guard turned to look, and nodded approvingly at the description of his talent.

Klaatu went on, "Humans usually make soap from boiled lard, boiled lard, and ashes.  That's why they stink.  Disgusting.  This is not like that at all.  It makes bubbles, and I think it smells good."

"I should probably try to sell some.  Needs a catchy, a catchy name, probably.  'Swish!' or 'Tingle!' or 'Sir Bubble!'  Something like that..."

"Anyway, just take Braandu with you when you head down.  Completely clean your wound with this."  He tossed a corked vial.  "I'll snooze, snooze here.  You should rest, too, and we'll leave tonight."

He took off his gloves, revealing several rings with a variety of large stones on his hands.  He leaned back in a comfortable spot in a corner and pressed each ring to his forehead, holding each one there for a long time.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2005, 12:39:29 AM »
At Alexia's surprise, Tethons arms moved quickly, holding Alexia from sliding any farther from the saddle. It took only moments for his muscles to relax again.
"Calm down." Tethon said. "If you jump any harder, I won't be able to stop you from falling off this horse next time. You know, If you tell me where we are going, I can keep the horse going for a time. Not too long or you will be bouncing around at night, but at least a nap to keep you going"
It had only been a few minutes since she had fallen asleep in the first place.
"Or, if you would like, we can make camp first so that you can lie down properly. At least some of the immediate danger is past."

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2005, 08:50:15 AM »
The morning sun shone at an oblique angle on Braandu's metal form.  The heat radiated into his body, adding to that radiating outward from his center, where the unique lump of dense material lay.  Just as any living creature would do with its breathing and circulation, his system moved the heat from one part to another, so that all worked smoothly, automatically, without thought or overt action.  He was truly alive.

His form received heat and light from all directions, and reflected or radiated some.  The silver and white portions more, the black or brown leather areas, less.  He could "see" the birds flying, and "hear" them chirp.  All was well.  Nothing large was nearby; and certainly nothing warm except some rabbits.  When they were in light brush, they could still be felt.  If they had been wounded, their energy would be felt more clearly, since they would "leak".  If they stood on rocky ground, they would be much harder to feel.  Squirrels in the trees could not be felt at all, only seen.

But all was well, for now.  Tonight they would be at Uncle Brendalo's house.

He kept wondering... Isn't the nice lady going to take a bath?

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2005, 09:29:28 AM »
“We need to go back to that mole-man.� Her voice was set in a low tone after Tethon spoke. She didn’t anticipate jumping like that- it was just something on her subconscious mind- and she didn’t feel like telling Tethon that. It was also useless to break camp this early.

A small sigh escaped her lungs. “Break camp two hours before suns down.� Even though the sentence was to a point of whispering, Alexia looked out once more to see the same dull shapes before falling asleep.

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »
Andimia took the bottle and vial and hobbled down to the river. At its edge she took off her boots and all of her sheathes of daggers and swords, laying them carefully upon a rock. She did leave one dagger strapped to her right leg, just in case. The half-elf stepped carefully out in to the cool water and set the bottles and bloody bandages on a nearby rock. She quickly tied her hair up and began washing her leg in the knee-deep water. After removing all of the dried blood Andi untied her hair which nearly formed brown curly dreadlocks. Taking up the soap she glanced at Braandu and then back at the bottle in her hand, then went to scrubbing her curls with the water and pink soap. She decided it would be best to just keep her leathers on, they'll dry eventually. After she had wrung out her hair and finished washing her wound, and the bloody bandages, Andimia sat upon a rock at the edge of the river while the morning sun shone down upon her. Using the rags from her bandages she washed out her left boot, wich had become caked with blood. After retying all of her weapons to her person, Andimia walked up to Braandu and touched his arm. "I'm done." she said as she passed, holding her boots and the bottles under an arm, the clean bandages re-applied to her oozing wound.  Her hair, in curly wet ringlets, bounced and dripped as she limped back up to the cave.  

Though in much better spirits now, she cursed the wound on her leg, it made her feel very clumsy and slow. She was proud of her speed and agility, that's what made her good at both of her jobs. But she knew that she was going to get fired from her waitressing job. She was already pushing it with going off to the last heist, and being out in the middle of nowhere and expected back yesterday, it didn't look good. She pushed it out of her mind. She'll find another legit job, she always does. Her mind wandered back to the Elven girl as she approached the cave.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »
OOC: For the Fourth of July, I’m going to Michigan for a week to visit some family. I might check in and I might not- it’s up to my Uncle and Aunt. Just wanted to fill you all in.

IC:
Alexia yawned, feeling the cold breeze brush by her face in a wake-up call. It took moments of blinking to finally see a blurred image of a familiar place. Something caught her attention, well her nose. Brushing back her white hair, she sniffed in the air for a moment and then frowned. It was a familiar scent also and it made her a little uneasy.

“Tethon, do you smell that?� There were many scents and Tethon wouldn’t be able to recognize it quickly. Frowning, she shrugged it off for a moment, but couldn’t help herself. Then there came another familiar scent of blood and essences. There was another female- a half-elf.

Dull ice blue eyes searched around, blurry grey blobs as her vision as the night was coming in from the darkness. Usually her vision was fine at night- actually the best. Something was happening off in the distance. Sulfur. Scents started rushing to her nose. Without realizing it, she was going blind.

Orcs? Alexia sneezed twice, softly. The scents in the air were becoming nothing more than a headache. ‘I’ll ask the mole-man.’ Turning her attention back towards the cave she could only see shadowed blurbs move by- not telling if they were trees being blown by the wind or people.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2005, 07:20:47 PM »
The mole man looked up when she entered, and put his gloves back on.  Then he waddled over.  "Sit, sit down for a minute, please,"  he said.  "If you don't mind, let's have a look, a look at that wound."  He lifted the bandage, and peered under it at the grim hole.  "With your permission, I will help this heal faster."

"You know that healing involves two, two things:  Preventing infection, and promoting regrowth.  My purifier gets rid of all those pesky bugs that get into wounds and want to gnaw on your insides.  They are too small to see, but they make a mess and your body wastes precious energy, precious energy fighting them and making pus."  He seemed to be satisfied at what he saw.   "Looks clean and purified.  So that problem is solved."

"The second is that you need to regenerate.  We are not trolls, not trolls, so it takes us longer.  Please relax."

He put his hand on her leg gently.  Warmth seemed to flow into the wound.  He concentrated.  "That bolt went deep.  There is a large blood clot, that saved you from excessive blood loss.  Your system is very strong.  But there are many torn bits of muscle.  Almost hit the bone."  Silence.  A few more moments passed.  Then he looked up at her face.

"There.  Your blood vessels are recovered from the shock.  You may be able to feel them regrowing very quickly, providing food and energy, and energy to the muscles.  You will see... this wound will heal in a surprisingly short time.  A day or two -- instead of weeks with a limp, and an ugly, an ugly scar.  Stay well fed and don't get exhausted.  And keep the purifier."

"I'll have my cousin Brandalo check this again when we get to his place tonight.  I may be a fine metallurgist, but he is better, better at healing than me."

Braandu came in carrying two dead rabbits that appeared to have been killed with a sling, but he had no sling.  Without a word, he handed them to his father, who said "Thank, you, son," and began to skin them.  Then he set down his shovel, and rolled a huge round, flat rock over the cave entrance.  The sun was almost completely shut out, but the torch on the wall cast a friendly glow.  The cave's occupants could relax for the day.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2005, 08:09:24 PM »
Alexia could tell there was no more sun and her eyes had gotten worse. Through the darkness there came a smile as her side became warmer. Taking out the note, she held out her arm and continued to walk, finding a rock by bumping into it. Surely Tethon would think it rather funny since Elves were known to see in the darkness, but this had been a minor issue until now.

Kneeling down to the rock, she unfolded the letter, letting the moon shine on the paper. The letters glowed brilliant white in her eyes, but in everyone else’s they were a dull silver.

‘Upon the silver lining you seek,
Where the nights have become distant and bleak,
There comes a light you must never forget,
A tale of seven parts to a Rod some regret.

To the dry temptress of a desert heat,
Comes the Rod Of Sir Nomen Leet.
Hidden and found by one lack of sight,
Comes the true Rod Of Lordly Might.’

Alexia repeated the words aloud, but soft enough where her concentration was focused. Shaking her head, she tucked away the note, still feeling its warmth and stood up slowly, ready to fall. Catching herself she turned and scrapped the jagged rock against her ankle, smelling fresh blood trickle on her foot. It was nothing more than a soft scratch she use to get climbing her home trees and falling down a branch.

“Tethon, where is the cave entrance?�

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2005, 08:12:15 PM »
Darkness was falling.  Klaatu handed wholesome travel-bread to Andimia and some more of the cooked bacon taken from the trunk and fried as before.  Munching on his share, the Mole-man packed up.  Braandu shouldered the huge rock open and stepped out to look around.  Nothing about but an owl diving silently on an unsuspecting mouse nearby.  

Night gave him the advantage, since the eyes of most others are dim in darkness.  "Too bad I cannot be quiet" he thought. "But we are nearly there."  He slung the trunk over his shoulders, picked up his shovel and axe, then hoisted his father up.

The three marched along, with the armoured boy avoiding swampy ground, and then turned uphill again over rocky ground.  He knew he should avoid footprints as much as possible over the last few leagues.  Then, a hut ahead on the hillside.  In front of it was seen a statue of deer; a large sculpture.  It lacked detail, but its eyes seemed to look right at them.

Suddenly, it moved!  It jumped heavily over to the door of the hut and hit it with its antlers, making a loud rattle.  Then it quickly turned, pawed the ground, lowered its sizable rack, and prepared to charge the intruders.

The door cracked open, and a gray furry face stuck out.  "<DOWN!  STOP!>" it squeaked at the deer.  "<Klaatu!  Braandu!  Welcome, welcome!>"  The mole-man stepped out, buttoning up a brown robe not unlike Klaatu's.  The deer lifted its head, trotted over to its original position, and stood still again, although its eyes still moved.

Klaatu scrambled down of his son's back.  Uncle Brendalo scurried over to Braandu and climbed up on him to hug his chest and squeak to him.  "<How are you doing, big boy?  Are you warm?  We've been waiting for you!>"

Another furry face showed at the door of the hut.  "<Oh, they're here!  Come inside by the fire and visit with me, young mole!>" said Brendalo's wife to Braandu.  In Common she said, with less enthusiasm to Klaatu, "Please come in and relax, and relax.  And who is your friend?" looking critically at Andimia.

Klaatu said, also in Common, "Priscela, Andimia is a comrade who is helping keep our centers warm and in one piece.  Please extend courtesies to her, to her as well."  Priscela said, "Please enter, enter, and be warm with us."

Braandu took off his gear and stooped considerably to enter the door.  He sat by the fire while Priscela fussed over him.  Brendalo hugged Klaatu, although perhaps not wholeheartedly.  He pulled out food and drink, and everyone but Braandu had some.

The inside of the hut was rather small, but was set up against the hillside behind.  To no one's surprise, Brendalo activated something, and the back of the room opened up to a much larger cave.  It was warm and well lit.  Numerous statues of various likenesses, small and large, stood around the room.  

A few were standing near the forge, which glowed with warmth.  These turned to follow the newcomers with their heads and eyes.  Some were stone, some were metal of different types.  Some were painted, and some were plain.  They ranged from small crawling creatures up to an enormous bronze bull with dangerous-looking horns.

Klaatu walked over and picked up a silvery, glistening white-metal bird statue with great admiration.  "Incredible work, incredible!" he said to his cousin.  The animated construct quickly flapped its foil wings and fluttered back to its perch just above the forge, where it sat and watched again.  Klaatu then slapped an unrecognizable blob-like object which seemed just as solid as the bird was delicate.  It rolled/clambered over a few feet and settled back down on the stone floor.  "No one has your talent, your talent!"

Brendalo shrugged, although he was clearly pleased with the praise.  "<I have a terrible time keeping my "Cersiline" bird warm!>" he squeaked.

Brendalo looked directly over at his cousin and squeaked "<Who do you have with you>?"  Klaatu took off his gloves and started handing rings to Brendalo who greedily put them on and quickly put them to his forehead one after another.  He handed a couple to Priscela who did the same.  They in turn handed rings to Klaatu, and even to Braandu, who took off his gauntlets and held one in each hand quietly.  The boy's large hands were human-like, except that they were completely shiny and glistening silver in color, and perfectly smooth, lacking fingernails, hair, or veins.  

All four were totally silent, in sudden concentration.

For the Graandu, it was just another small family gathering.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2005, 07:29:25 PM »
When the "communing" was done and the rings returned to their owners, Klaatu leaned over to Brendalo.  "<You know why I have come, and why I brought Braandu... What have you found out?>" he squeaked to his cousin.

Brendalo said "<Yes.  That.  You never waste time, do you?  We must talk in private.>"  The two of them left the large cave and retired to a back tunnel.  The door shut, and squeaking was heard -- Squeaking that was not terribly happy, from the sound of it.

Offline Alexia

• Lallana Stahl
  • Adept
  • Danielle
    • Darken Desire
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2005, 07:38:31 PM »
In a bit of a fit Alexia pulled out the stone and held it in her hands. She cocked her head, white hair cascading down her back. “Mole-man if you can hear me, how do I get back in your home? I can’t see a thing!� Frowning she waited for some impossible answer. She didn’t want to be rude or non-humble, she was in a bit of a hurry and needed answers.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2005, 06:16:24 PM »
The two mole-men talked/squeaked for some time.  The door opened, and the two rejoined the others.  They must have become warm, since their robes were off.  Klaatu's goggles were off his face, and his eyes were clearly not real.  They were made of smooth, clear stone, like rainbowed glass.  But one who was observant could tell that he could see, if only myoptically.  One who was particularly observant might have noted that Brendalo also had metal fingernails, sharpened to points, and that one of his feet was covered in fake moleskin... and was actually metallic beneath.

"Braandu, Andimia,"  Klaatu said, "I am sorry, but we will need to leave, to leave right away.  Brendalo has given me important, but disturbing news.  We need to get back to king Benu, Benu of the Benauh elves back home."

To Brendalo, he said, "<Cousin, please, let us trade on our respective expertise.>"  With some additional squeaking, he gave several items from the trunk to Brendalo, and some to Priscela.  In exchange, they brought him what he needed, and it all went into the trunk.  Braandu was watching his uncle.  Brendalo was particularly reluctant to give up the metallic bird, but instead gave Klaatu a cold and lifeless copy.  There had definitely been some agitated squeaking and quite a few gestures over that trade.  Klaatu folded up the model like it was a prized butterfly and put it carefully inside his robe.

Priscela gave them food and refilled their flasks of drink.  There were hugs and nose rubs all around, and invocations of ooloo's warmth and blessing.  Priscela even reached up and gave Andimia a soft and furry mole-hug.

"Let's go!"  said Klaatu.  As they stepped outside, the deer statue stepped inside to warm itself by the fire.  The bronze bull strode out and took up the guard position, watching and occasionally patrolling the property as the three travellers disappeared down the trail.

From his perch atop his son, Klaatu looked down at Andimia.  He didn't look very happy.  "That elf-girl is in some sort of need, some need.  I can feel it.  I don't think she is in terrible danger, but something, something is not right.  We will go to her first, and you can receive your pay."

He rocked back and forth up there for several minutes as they headed back toward home.  Something else was clearly bothering him.  He seemed to be struggling with whether he should say anything or be silent.

Then it blurted out.

"Andimia, have you ever been to the northeastern range?  The humans around here call it the Ranger's-Head mountains.  It looks like we may need a good guide."

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2005, 11:14:52 PM »
Tethon came back from scouting ahead and began to prepared a fire. "The strange mans cave is gaurded by traps. I do not think that we would avoid most of them. We should wait here for him, trying to enter the cave unmolested may prove very hard. There is still plenty of food, and now that we are safe from danger, I can hunt for more."

Tethon did not mention Alexia's missing eyesight. What was going on there. something, but what? It was very unnerving to say the least.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »
Klaatu thought to himself, "There.  I said it.  Now she will know that I am what the humans call 'daft'.  I'm not, am I?  I cannot be."

But everyone knows that no one just "visits" the Rang 'Shead mountains.  

Not if they wanted to return alive.

Offline Dream

• Extreme
  • Knight
    • Awards
The Rod of Lordly Might
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2005, 09:23:27 PM »
Braandu listened as he pounded the ground, carrying 300+ pounds of trunk and 140 pounds of dad.  He worried.

"Why would we go to the Rangershead mountains?  That is a bad place.  Father has been worried about me.  Is it me?  And the nice elf-lady who trots alongside us.  Or is she human?  Why doesn't she answer?  Something is not right.  Is it me?"

["You are stupid.]  The voices spoke, between his heavy footsteps.  ["You are the problem.  You should be dead BUT <clump> YOU <clump> ARE <clump> NOT! <clump, clump, clump> YET!!!]  

Braandu clumped along and tried not to listen to the voices.  He wanted to hear what the nice lady would say.  He hoped she would stay with him and his father, and not just take gold and go.

Gold was worthless.  Humans thought it was pretty, and fought to kill over it.  But he had worked it as a child when he was... well, when he was not in this form.  Gold was soft, and easy.  It melted so easy.  It took no effort.  Gold could be amalgamated with other soft useless metals, or drawn into a fine wire.  Dense, but not the most dense.  Less dense than what the humans called white gold, or platinum.  Less dense than father's arrowpoint metal.  He forgot the name of that; don't tell father.

He realized this concentration on his lessons was working, again.  It drove out the voices.  Braandu started to feel somewhat less stupid.  After all, Graandu cannot go crazy.  Only humans and other races are crazy.

Was lady-Andi going to say something?

They were nearing the cave.