llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Handy computer programs  (Read 1198 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Handy computer programs
« on: March 27, 2005, 05:01:32 PM »
Most of us have probably tried several already, the handy computer programs custom built for us roleplayers. Of course I think about Dungeon Crafter, Campaign Cartographer, Character generators, Manfred's NPC generators, etc...

But are there any other programs, essential tools, that have not yet been created? Something you miss? Perhaps you need a customizable GM screen, on-screen? What about a magic (or mundane) item reference library? Just enter that identifier the player mentioned and up comes the full item description...

Anything you need?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Handy computer programs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:08:32 PM »
I've slowly been working on a GM's helper.  The idea is twofold.  First, it would help create printouts for the game, such as mini character sheets for NPC's, tracking forms (for hit points, ammo, time, etc.), and whatever else would be needed in hard-copy at the gaming table. The second part would be for the overall world stuff.  It would handle weather, major events, & the bigger-scale campaign stuff.  I haven't yet decided if this second part would be connected to a database, so that it keeps a running tally of things, or if it should be more of a weighted random-roll type device with space for notes & the ability to be heavily modified by the GM.  There are advantages & disadvantages to both.  I haven't started coding on this project yet; I'm still puzzling out exactly what I want it to do.  However, it's hovering near the bottom of my priority list, so it isn't likely to be finished anytime soon.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: Handy computer programs
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »
Holy mother of craziness, this is OLD!...Yet if responded to, useful. I'm not sure AG would be willing to work on such projects, but I am (I need the coding practice anyways).

So, anyone got anything nifty they're wanting?
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
It isn't that old...well, maybe, but it is indeed still as applicable today as it was then.

Might be a dream of all us coder/gamers. I want to make a forum built for roleplaying and have character sheets and their stats tied into it. Kinslayer's idea is definitely bigger in the useability scale but all his points would be useful in my vision and I like them.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
The customizable GM screen sounds nifty, as does the item tracker/reference library.  I've got four or five programs that I use for different things, but it would be nice if I could combine all the features I like into one program.  I'd like something that kept track of character sheets/stats, had a cycling combat round tracker, a good dice roller, and table/note look up.  I can point to what I like about each thing I use, but I don't know if anyone uses the same stuff...
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko