llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Auto index script  (Read 1754 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Auto index script
« on: March 23, 2005, 09:46:10 PM »
Would it be possible to create a script that automatically used post titles as an entry to be used in an index? (Like the index I created here: http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=31236#31236 )

---------------------------------
Strolen Hijacks AG's post with his super ninja admin skills:

Quote from: "Strolen"

Not sure if anybody has used this yet, but it seems to get the job done. Read below for instructions on how to use it.

Basically for anybody doing an organized set of posts if you use a descriptive title for all of your posts, this script will go through and auto-create direct links for the entire thread. So if you had a setting you were developing and you labeled each post as a new area, you could run this script and it would create a linked, alphabetical list of all your posts by the area's name. So instead of having to go through all your posts and hand create a link index you can now just run the script, copy and paste. I think it has many applications and I thank AG for coming up with the idea.

Obviously, if you have any suggesstions or enhancements to it then let me know.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Auto index script
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 06:45:47 PM »
I would have to take another look at the database. I think this is doable although it might be a little harder to control which threads get the index treatment.

I don't think I would want that ran on every thread. It would also either have to be manually ran by somebody as I don't think I would want that script running on every post checking to see if it needed an index, on top of figuring out how to flag it without messing with the phpBB database tables.

This might be a V2.0 mod instead.

Another one to chew on for a bit.

I could maybe develop a quick and dirty one that you would have to get the main topic, insert it into a form and then it would go through and autocreate all the BBcode that you could then copy and paste into a post.

Won't  be pretty but if everything is titled nicely it would be a quick way to 'manually' create an autoindex for a thread.

Would that be good enough?

((Not sure when I can get to it. Actually at Virginia Beach right now and will be heading back to Little Rock next week.))

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Auto index script
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:25:45 AM »
Perhaps only admins and mods could turn autoindexing on, and they would have to do so in the first post of a thread? Through a checkbox or some such.

I agree on your reservations, but used correctly it could be a good tool.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Auto index script
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:01:12 AM »
OK, made a quick and dirty one that will get the job done. Can only work with what the posters write so it might become a mod job to create descriptive titles for posts in certain threads if that is what we want to do.

1. Go to the thread that want to index.
2. edit the actual thread address or copy and paste the address to another page

Change this:
http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1526.0

to:
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic_index.php?t=1526

It has to be the main topic with the associated t= to make it work. Can't do it from any other page.

The resulting text is BBcode to copy and paste as an index.

Anything without a title will just be blank and will show up as a blank line if it is just copy and pasted without deleting them. Wasn't sure if I should make a link for everything in case somebody wanted to add the text portion to the link or ignore any threads without a title. I opted to grab everything whether it had a title or not.

This can be used on ANY thread so it can maybe be useful for those creating worlds/settings as well as other places. After some feedback will make an official announcement.

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Auto index script
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 11:42:59 AM »
Excellent work Strolen. I checked it out and it looks fine.

I don't know if you want the additional task of alphabetizing the entries, according to post title, or if that is a too tedious task.

Great job! I like it. A great feature.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Auto index script
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:52:17 AM »
Alphabetical, complied with.

Solves and creates a problem.

All the no-title posts are at the top so easy delete.

If you were to add titles to the no-title topics it is more difficult to figure out which one is which.

Level 3