llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What DVDs/ Video are you watching  (Read 127828 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: What DVDs/ Video are you watching
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
Me: So what do you guys want to watch tonight?
8 yr old #1: SpongeBob
Me: We've seen every episode 30 times
8 yr old #2: Lake Placid II!
Me: No, I just heard it has a lot of cursing
8 yr old #3: Cursive? I'm learning that in school now!
Me: no, wise-guy, cursing. Next...
9 yr old: I really want to watch Lake Placid II
Me: Let me ask you fellas a question. Why Lake Placid II instead of Lake Placid? (!!!1!!)
9 yr old: We heard it was better.
Me: I'm sure it's not.
8 yr old #1: How can you be sure? You haven't seen it.
Me: Sigh. I'm starting to lean toward Spongebob.
8 yr old #3: What about Good Burger.
Me: (checking...) Ok, Good Burger! Let's do it!
8 yr old # 2: Haha Dad wants to watch Spongebob again!

This is my life.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:04:20 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
The Hangover Games

A terrible hybridization of the Hangover and the Hunger Games, with a heady or obnoxious dose of Hollywood satire thrown in. Other teams include Middle Earth, Superheroes, Avatar, Gratuitous Nudity, Depps (Tonto, Jack Sparrow, and Willy Wonka) Django, and so forth. The violence is stupid, the bare breasts are surgically enhanced, and the plot is terrible.

Watched it twice
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
The Hangover Games

A terrible hybridization of the Hangover and the Hunger Games, with a heady or obnoxious dose of Hollywood satire thrown in. Other teams include Middle Earth, Superheroes, Avatar, Gratuitous Nudity, Depps (Tonto, Jack Sparrow, and Willy Wonka) Django, and so forth. The violence is stupid, the bare breasts are surgically enhanced, and the plot is terrible.

Watched it twice
This MST3K fan will not rest till he sees this!!!!!!!
Thanz for the Tip???? (hopefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »
Stupid aside from the Spongebob vs. Lake Placid debate (Lake Placid I was awesome....not sure about II) But for kids, one of my favorites is "Matilda" with Danny DeVito. I love that one!

That said, we have been watching Tattoo Masters lately. Wife even put in application for next season. Muro, we may have to come stay with you so we are closer to their studio.

"Legend" tv show with Sean Bean. Loving it...but I love that spy crap a ton and am very forgiving. But it is great.

"Spy" was funny as hell. Our favorite part was all the parts with Jason Statham but especially when he told the stories about his escapes. Son and I watched it a half dozen times. Sew on his ripped off arm part if it isn't obvious....might not be.

"Ridiculous Six" and the invention of Sticky McShnickens.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
WARBOYS RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!!!

Finally watched Fury Road, and it is a @!#$ing incredible movie. I am ashamed I did not see it in theatres

also currently watching the reboot of Evangelion

1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

Pretty, trimmed down, and pretty much true to the source material. Runs from Shinji's introduction to fighting Ramiel, the octohedron angel. Brutal.

2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

What the actual @!#$ Shinji!!!!

3.44 You Can (Not) Redo

WTF Gainax!!!

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
FURY ROAD! Best movie I saw in 2015 (and again in 2016). And I saw a lot of them.

SHINY AND CHROME!!!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Theadeaus3905

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
Lets see... Just finished "Smallvile", "Lost", "24", "Penny Dreadful", "Stranger things" on Netflix, "Annabel Creation", "Annabel",
"The Conjuring" "Silent Hill", "Ash vs Evil Dead" on Netflix.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
Just started watching a show on Netflix called "El Ministerio del Tiempo." It's a Spanish production, clearly, but the first episode showed a solid sci-fi/fantasy show.

The basic premise is, Isabella and Ferdinand were given secret knowledge of a tunnel of doors in Madrid that takes travellers to different times. They established a Ministry of Time to prevent incursions and interruptions to the timeline. The Ministry recruits Spainards from across the timeline. The show centers on three: a soldier from the 17th century, a female college student from the 1880s, and a 21st century medic. The first episode has them trying to stop an 1808 French soldier from stealing knowledge and weaponry from the 21st century to change the course of the Napoleonic Wars.

Not being a Spainard, some of the references are a little past me, but the writing and acting are pretty solid. I can't wait to delve more into it.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
Finished Altered Carbon, fantastic series, can't wait for season 2
watching Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams series on Amazon Prime, top notch cast, a lot like Black Mirror

Offline Theadeaus3905

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
I Heard of  Black mirror... Is it any good?

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
I Heard of  Black mirror... Is it any good?

It is in the same vein as Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits, but it has a very strong technological angle, with robots, mind control, artificial reality, and so forth, and rather than being anvilicious parables, they tell their story. Some are very dark, some are ambiguous. There are increasing signs that the entire series is interconnected through a fairly long timeline, moving to and through a technological singularity.

Offline Theadeaus3905

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
Thank you very much... I now Have to check it out! I have Netflix. I tell you what I think about it...But from what you said, I'm going to love it.
I loved Twilight Zone and Outer limits growing up.

Thank you

Offline Theadeaus3905

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2018, 08:57:44 PM »
Thank you , I really enjoyed what i have seen of Black Mirror ...Techno weird....The Scary thing about it is some of it we are getting real close to in real life...That is what intrigues me so much...Awesome. :thumbup: 

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2018, 09:03:22 PM »
Ahem, videos and dvds? This here thread needs a new title.

Having said that, this is what I just started watching.

La Peste (The Plague). 8 episodes. I’m 2 episodes in. It’s really really good!!

16th century Seville, Spain. One of the great “centers of the world” in its day. Fifty different languegues can be heard in its streets. Gold arriving from the new world, the Plague, the Inquisition, Hedonism and extreme poverty. Bridges made of gold on one side of town, Plague-ridden peasants in ghettos on the other. Into this cityscape we are introduced to several characters. A wanted man who was sworn to extract his dead friend’s bastard son from the city streets. A wealthy and mysterious man, who does not want word of the Plague to get out just yet. There are also diabolical serial murders going on, and one of the men is tasked with finding out who is killing folks ritualistically. Anyhoo, so far so good. Great depiction of a late medieva/early renaissance city, great acting and production. Like game of thrones but with *much* fewer characters, no magic or monsters, and about the same amount of nudity and sex.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:28:33 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
Anime:

Tokyo Ghoul
My Hero Academia
Attack on Titan
High School DxD
Steins:Gate
Darling in the FranXX
Sword Art Online (for wife)

Non Anime:

Disenchanted
Venture Bros

Movies:

Ready Player One (I watched it three times in 2 days holy @!#$)
The Hunt for Red October (for wife)
Big Trouble in Little Chine (for wife)
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Justice League Dark
Justice League Gods and Monsters
Bladerunner 2049
I Kill Giants

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2018, 04:32:29 PM »
We dumped the satellite and went straight to streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime), so now I can binge the ever loving @!#$ out of series, 3 episodes per hour, zero commercials, and I can skip end credits, opening theme, and recaps if I want. I can watch an entire season of anime in about a week

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
Thumbs up for no cable. Have been streaming (in different ways) since 2000. Haven't bought cable, nor been in a house that has cable (frugal parents who still refuse to get cable), for my entire life. Just got Hulu and Netflix (for free with phone account) and family loves it. Much more reliable than my ways of getting shows.

I have been reading more lately than watching movies but Muro's pick spiked my interest. I LOVED Taboo which sounds a little like that. Awesome, gritty story set in dirty London in the early 1800s. Love it!

Vikings, of course. Watching that again. Haven't seen the latest season yet. What a hero's journey in that one. Is awesome.

Anime, watched the RL version of Initial D. Car Drifting movie that is just fun (I drive a FR-S so dream of this kind of stuff).
Death Note RL version was fun.

Attack on Titan - win!

I kill Giants was really fun I thought.

Muro, have you watched Matilda with Danny DeVito? Awesome, awesome kid movie. One of my favorites.

The Professional - my dad never saw it. I was heart broken. He loved it as do I. Assassin movies are my love. Hanna is good. I would even stoop to say I enjoyed Barely Lethal (a silly teen romp with Samuel L. though!)

Level 3

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
LOVED Taboo too!! You just never knew what was going to happen next. I think there’s another season in the works (?). I also think you’d enjoy The Plague. We did finally see Matilda and loved it! The Professional is an all-time fave!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2018, 11:58:31 AM »
Heh. I'm half-watching Parks and Rec - my wife and my son watch it, I listen while I play World of Warships or Witcher 3.

Human Strolenati
              Ildus Amanitha- The Occult Brotherhood           
            Strolenati Guild
            DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
            Weavers Guild
            Level 4
            STR: 5| END: 4| CON: 5| DEX: 5 | CHA: 4 | INT: 8
            Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Just watched Black Panther since it popped up in Netflix and I was out sick.

Meh.

I might be a bad example because I have stopped watching most of the super hero junk. Just not that entertaining to me. And the pitiful cameo by Stan Lee, they lost me at that point. It wasn't funny, wasn't natural, was way too forced. Entire movie felt that way to me, like they were jamming everything they could in it, still made it over 2 hrs and still had me not really giving a crap about any of the characters. And I didn't follow the comic so have no idea about that. But it reinforced why I gave up watching these films.

Level 3

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
Just watched Black Panther since it popped up in Netflix and I was out sick.

Meh.

I might be a bad example because I have stopped watching most of the super hero junk. Just not that entertaining to me. And the pitiful cameo by Stan Lee, they lost me at that point. It wasn't funny, wasn't natural, was way too forced. Entire movie felt that way to me, like they were jamming everything they could in it, still made it over 2 hrs and still had me not really giving a crap about any of the characters. And I didn't follow the comic so have no idea about that. But it reinforced why I gave up watching these films.

I also recently watched Black Panther, I didn't see it in the theatres but everyone was blowing up about how good it was, and they are still buzzing about how there is a campaign for it to get Best Picture at the Hollywood circle jerk awards. So I watched it. It was pretty good, but at no point it was NOT a comic book movie. At times the CG was over the top, and the overall plot and pacing were just okay.

I can appreciate it for what it is, a tent pole blockbuster black ensemble movie that isn't based on crime, slavery, or sports.

I would contrast it with Logan (a brutal end of the road movie that happened to have the last X-men in it) or Captain America: The Winter Soldier (a great spy movie)

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
I am watching "A Discovery of Witches" on HBO. It is like Twilight for adults. I love the filming and the use of colors. It is rare that I am awestruck by the technical aspects of a TV series. The plot is alright, but what really stands out is the magic items they display in the series. I recommend it to anyone who are A) Not too annoyed by vampire drama, B) want to explore magical items that are fully fleshed out, C) love beautiful filming.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2018, 07:01:19 AM »
I am watching "A Discovery of Witches" on HBO. It is like Twilight for adults. I love the filming and the use of colors. It is rare that I am awestruck by the technical aspects of a TV series. The plot is alright, but what really stands out is the magic items they display in the series. I recommend it to anyone who are A) Not too annoyed by vampire drama, B) want to explore magical items that are fully fleshed out, C) love beautiful filming.

Sounds like perfect October viewing material

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
Rolled through The Last Magician. Meh

AG turned me onto the Bobiverse. We are Legion (We are Bob). Space Opera at its finest. I am not into to SF too much but this is reminiscent of Hitchhikers in humor/amusement. I am a fan of Bob!! Getting a bit into the second book and just as fun. The Prime Directive be d**ned. LOL :)

Also listened to Shawshank Redemption again. Stephen King is awesome. He has some stinkers but when he is on it, he is on it. What a great voice in that story. I still like the movie better. Ties things together to make it, as a whole, bit more satisfying. But the story is still outstanding.

Level 3